HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
10-03-2013, 04:56 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
He's been sent up & down through out the last three seasons & hasn't been claimed. I doubt he's done much to warrant a team claiming out of the blue at this point.
Oilers came to mind with them snatching up tough guys.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Oilers came to mind with them snatching up tough guys.
They wanted a legit heavyweight, Newbury isn't that. He's a willing fighter but not much after that.

They claimed Steve McIntyre as well so I'm not so sure they're still in the market for an enforcer.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 04:57 PM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
He's been sent up & down through out the last three seasons & hasn't been claimed. I doubt he's done much to warrant a team claiming out of the blue at this point.
Yeah, no one wants Newbury. Him getting claimed should be of no concern. I really hope Raffl progresses and we see him actually contribute on the third line versus Talbot's uselessness.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Good decision to send him back down if Lavy wasn't going to commit to playing him 12-15 minutes a night. The kid needs to play. Should have been able to figure this out a week ago though. There is no way he went from good for 12-15 minutes to 'press box' because of a few practices.

Calling up Newbury is just LOL.

I'm ready to just quit on this team, and follow a team like the Red Wings until the Flyers get their collective head of their ass and join us in the 21st century.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:46 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Laughton's suspended for another few games, isn't he?

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:02 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
Why is everybody so worried about our 4th line when the major issue throughout preseason and in game 1 has been scoring?

Newbury is a pretty solid player overall when used in a sheltered role: hard-nosed, gritty, and can even score a little. He won't play more than 8-9 minutes a night on that energy line - no big deal at all.

Everyone seemed to be in love with Daroll Powe who had hands of stone and zero hockey sense. Newbury may not be as fast but he is decent in his own zone, even played the PK in the AHL.
McGinn is clearly out of shape and Raffl who might be a good fit for a top-9 role later in the season needs some seasoning in the AHL. Holmstrom hasn't played a regular season game for ages.... who else would be a better choice?
Exactly, as usual people are freaking out over a non-issue. They sent a 19 y/o down to the minors to get better. Sounds about right. They bring up another 4th liner up that won't have his progress hurt by sitting in a press box. Don't see the problem there. They just finished camp. What could the players sent down hve done between the end of camp and now to prove they are ready for a position they had a month to audition for.

I don't get the infatuation with Raffl. He is a soft perimeter player with good but not great skills.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Good decision to send him back down if Lavy wasn't going to commit to playing him 12-15 minutes a night. The kid needs to play. Should have been able to figure this out a week ago though. There is no way he went from good for 12-15 minutes to 'press box' because of a few practices.

I'm ready to just quit on this team, and follow a team like the Red Wings until the Flyers get their collective head of their ass and join us in the 21st century.
Go for it, fake fans are annoying anyway.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:58 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
Go for it, fake fans are annoying anyway.
The only fake fans in this thread are the ones pretending nothing is wrong, being enablers for the team to keep failing.

Old
10-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
Doesn't seem like it. He has scored a goal in his return. 1-1 in the second period.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:00 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
No, he's playing in Oshawa's game right now. He has their only goal after 1.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
The only fake fans in this thread are the ones pretending nothing is wrong, being enablers for the team to keep failing.

Just stop, how are people enabling?

Old
10-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:

So you are Detroit sent Nyquist to the minors and scratched Tatar to make room for old, broken down veterans like Dan Cleary. Detroit is the least likely team in the league to let the kids play.

Please do quit and move to the Redwings board. You will find that there are disgruntled fans on every team's forum.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 10-03-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:14 PM
Calderone
old time hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
I have been a Flyers fan since 1985. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember a potential worse 4th line than Newbury-Hall-Rosehill (with a forward out). Can anyone remember a worse one?
Daniels/Lacroix/Kordic was awful. Fun, but AWFUL.

I also really really hated the line of Ranheim/Manderville/Anyone.. and Anyone was the best player on that line by far.

Calderone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:16 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
So you are completely unaware that Detroit sent Nyquist to the minors and scratched Tatar to make room for old, broken down veterans like Dan Cleary. Detroit is the least likely team in the league to let the kids play.

Please do quit and move to the Redwings board. You will find that there are disgruntled fans on every team's forum.
Your exactly right. The wings let their players develop before they make the jump to the NHL. Not only that, they have a core of players who have been together for years and only open up a few spots per season. This gives the prospects plenty of time to develop while letting the core of your team stay together

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:20 PM
Curufinwe

A lot of Detroit fans think they have taken that too far and are hanging on to players well past their prime rather than letting talented youngsters like Nyquist and Tatar play. They aren't even that young - Nyquist's already 24 and Tatar is 22.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:21 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
So you are Detroit sent Nyquist to the minors and scratched Tatar to make room for old, broken down veterans like Dan Cleary. Detroit is the least likely team in the league to let the kids play.

I didn't say I'd quit this board. Just if I'm going to spend time watching hockey, I'd rather watch a team that has a plan on how to score goals and doesn't waste roster spots on plugs like Rosehill and Newbury. The Flyers are probably top 5 in terms of raw offensive talent, but they look like a pee wee team trying to score 5 on 5. Doesn't that piss you off?

I don't mind Laughton being sent down at all --- that's fine. It's where he should be unless he's ready for 2nd/3rd line minutes, which he's probably not. I care that 3 out of 50 contracts for this organization are used on Rinaldo, Rosehill, and Newbury. It's just dumb, and it is not conducive to winning championships.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Curufinwe

Chicago just won a Cup with Carcillo who is an inferior version of Rinaldo.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:25 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
I actually don't mind Rinaldo's game (other than the diving). But we don't need all 3 of them. If they keep Rinaldo and not the other 2 goofs, that's cool with me.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:30 PM
Curufinwe

Well I can't see Newbury lasting here for very long.

Let's be honest, if the Flyers hadn't been limited by Pronger's contract they would have gone out and (over)paid for a third line winger this offseason. Someone like Stalberg. They would still be spotting Rosehill, but the 4th line would have been Hall, Rinaldo and Talbot.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:34 PM
MountainHawk

But why have Newbury under contract at all? Better to use that contract on some undrafted college prospect that might pan out, IMO.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:39 PM
flyersfan28

Quote:

newbury can play center but i think he is the #13forward rosehill is the #12
if the flyers play a 4line with rinaldo-newbury-rosehill is a good 4line

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan28 View Post
newbury can play center but i think he is the #13forward rosehill is the #12
if the flyers play a 4line with rinaldo-newbury-rosehill is a good 4line
That's a terrible line....

Newbury is only a guy you call up when in a pinch, not a guy you inject into your permeant lineup.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:42 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
But why have Newbury under contract at all? Better to use that contract on some undrafted college prospect that might pan out, IMO.
Newbury is good for ADK. It's importamt for prospects like Cousins to play in the AHL for a winning or at least competative team. Guys like Newbury and other AHL All-Stars like a Syvret help in that sense. With Laughton sliding the Flyers have 48 contracts, it's not like Newbury is preventing any moves.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:43 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Carcillo barely played, and didn't even get his name on the cup

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:44 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
That's a terrible line....

Newbury is only a guy you call up when in a pinch, not a guy you inject into your permeant lineup.
I would prefer him in an everday line-up over Rosehill but that's not saying much.