HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Calahan promoted to the big club

Old
11-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Calahan promoted to the big club

http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/

congrats, im sure the practice time will be educational at the very least.

Last edited by Inferno: 11-28-2006 at 11:13 AM. Reason: sp
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:23 AM
pld459666

he's earned it.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:25 AM
FLYLine24*

Good for him. Let him get a few practices with in with the NHLers and get some tips from Shanny.

Doubt he will be here past Saturday (or at least I hope not, he needs to be playing not sitting).

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:47 AM
eco's bones

Hey who knows--they say he's not scheduled to play tonight but maybe just maybe he will. They need more production from them bottom lines and he's off to one hell of a start in his pro career. Good for him though one way or the other.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:51 AM
bathgate

Saw him once in Hartford. Good all around player. Orts with much better hands and scoring ability. Third liner with second line potential. He should play instead of Orr if not tonight, certainly against the Sabres on Friday.

bathgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
We need some tweaks anyways... Id like to see him and Pock get themselves into the lineup...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:14 PM
Balej20*

15 goals in the A already...I didn't realize he was playing THAT well.

Balej20* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:47 PM
DutchShamrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
We need some tweaks anyways... Id like to see him and Pock get themselves into the lineup...
Ha.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 12:50 PM
Balej20*

Quote:
That'll be the day...maybe Dubinsky and Dawes will get into the lineup too....

Old
11-28-2006, 01:05 PM
Pizza

Interesting. Hopefully he makes a good impression in practice and picks up a thing or two.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:44 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20 View Post
That'll be the day...maybe Dubinsky and Dawes will get into the lineup too....
Never said it was likely, just that I'd like to see it...

Between all the time Ive been dedicating to my new girlfriends, the Victoria's Secret angels, that is.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:47 PM
Balej20*

Quote:

Between all the time Ive been dedicating to my new girlfriends, the Victoria's Secret angels, that is.
lol

Old
11-28-2006, 01:49 PM
Edge

Callahan is a heady player, his smarts and effort are really his strengths.

I think his upside is probably a nice third liner at the NHL level. I was talking about this with someone the other day (Jon maybe?) about if he splits the difference in production and size between York and Ortmeyer I'll be happy.

Don't think he quite has second line stuff, but I think if he continues to develop he's a very nice third liner.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:50 PM
shaner89

with the way the organization handles youth he will play 4 mins or not at all. ie: dawes

shaner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Edge

Well the one thing he does have potentially going for him is that he projects as a bottom two line forward. His game transitions to that, so it might make it easier to play him in those situations.

Theoretically at least.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 02:16 PM
Larry Melnyk

It really wouldn't be a bad time to let Callahan skate with Hollweg and Hall tonight and give them 5-8 minutes...No need for Orr, he's already mauled Boulton, Exelby and Holly should be done, and the Thrashers have to be on a short leash after the garbage with the Caps...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I would love to see him play this week, butI dont see that happening. Its good to have him up practicing though with the "big club". He atleast should be able to learn from a few of the vets and hopefully work to get himself a spot on the team. I wish him the best of luck and hope to see him in a Rangers sweater soon.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 03:15 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Well the one thing he does have potentially going for him is that he projects as a bottom two line forward. His game transitions to that, so it might make it easier to play him in those situations.

Theoretically at least.
yea but if Dawes is a top 2 line player, why play him on the bottom lines, would it be better if greg moore played on the 3rd or 4th lines rather than dawes??? At least Moore is a 3rd and 4th liner. When Hejduk and Tangauy came into the league I doubt they played on the 3rd and 4th lines. The coaches should put these rookies where they will thrive and succeed.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 03:42 PM
Blueshirt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
yea but if Dawes is a top 2 line player, why play him on the bottom lines, would it be better if greg moore played on the 3rd or 4th lines rather than dawes??? At least Moore is a 3rd and 4th liner. When Hejduk and Tangauy came into the league I doubt they played on the 3rd and 4th lines. The coaches should put these rookies where they will thrive and succeed.
Every organization does it differently. Most would say the Ducks have a solid system. At the moment two of their projected 1st/2nd liners, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, are both playing on the 4th line for them to get the experience and used to the pace of the game. As they prove they belong and gain the coach's trust, they move up a line or two.

Blueshirt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 03:51 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt13 View Post
Every organization does it differently. Most would say the Ducks have a solid system. At the moment two of their projected 1st/2nd liners, Ryan Getzlaf and Corey Perry, are both playing on the 4th line for them to get the experience and used to the pace of the game. As they prove they belong and gain the coach's trust, they move up a line or two.
then I wonder why Renney dont do this, Dawes did not get any pp time, now that is not good at all, especially when it was stuggling. that is not a great sign of coaching. If u know u are gonna give dawes 5-8 mins on the 4th line, why not give him the last 30-40 seconds at the end of a PP. Its not like he would be fatigued.

Old
11-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
then I wonder why Renney dont do this, Dawes did not get any pp time, now that is not good at all, especially when it was stuggling. that is not a great sign of coaching. If u know u are gonna give dawes 5-8 mins on the 4th line, why not give him the last 30-40 seconds at the end of a PP. Its not like he would be fatigued.
I would say, like the PP , Renney's hesitant to depart from a plan that he know will work. He'll gladly go with a known entity that's "good enough" before he'll take a gamble on a different player or game plan.

Glad to see that 23rd roster spot go to some kind of use and to see the team make an assessment of a prospect, even if it's just in practice.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:00 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
I would say, like the PP , Renney's hesitant to depart from a plan that he know will work. He'll gladly go with a known entity that's "good enough" before he'll take a gamble on a different player or game plan.

Glad to see that 23rd roster spot go to some kind of use and to see the team make an assessment of a prospect, even if it's just in practice.
When Orts get back Callahan should be sent down by then. Too bad we cant send Orr down. Id rather have Callahan/Moore/Helminen or Korpikoski take his spot. Hollweg made Nemo expendable last year, too bad none of our rookies are making Hossa, Betts or J Ward expendable this year. Im hoping for one of our rookies to make one of them expendable soon.

Old
11-28-2006, 04:37 PM
Bluenote13
20 down, 34 to go !

Quote:

Agreed, he's from THAT school of coaching.

It's exactly what i've been trying to say, you just worded it better than any of my posts

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:44 PM
in the hall

Quote:

Adriana isn't cheating on me..

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Ola

Quote:

What I think is wise, is to kind of keep a young player in Rocky Balbooa/Youngblood-mode so to speak, as long as its possible to do so. You know, there aren't a better feeling then that "its ME against the WORLD" kind of feeling. There is nothing worse then the "damn I got the chance of a lifetime shot and I am blowing it"-feeling.

I think you should play a kid at a level were you are confident that over the course of a season he can do his thing. He don't have to be a success on the scoreboard, but when he looks himself in the mirror every night he should feel good about himself. If he can do that, I don't think the ice time or stats are a big problem.

If you play well but don't get allot of ice time, you don't blame yourself, you blame the coach. And its nothing wrong with feeling pissed at the coach, its actually a good feeling wanting to prove sombody wrong.

Its so much worse, if you throw a kid in, and he is dissapointing. Lets say we would have given Dubinsky a shot at the 2nd line center spot, and he wouldn't have taken it, gooing minus and not scoring. A small example of this were Dawes play early in the season. Cut the losses pretty fast and I think that were a good thing, because Dawes seemd to be wearing on himself. He were extremely fired up, but got nothing gooing. He could not do in the regular season what he did in the preseason. Looking back I think we gave him a chance to soon. Looking back, would it have been better if we played Orr the first 15 games, let Dawes play the first 15 games in the AHL, and then called him? (I think it might be)

On the other hand, there is a kid like Pck, how can we expect him to improve unless we are playing him?

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote