HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Lavi gets canned?
His Christmas gift this year will be a pink slip 63 50.81%
He'll make it to the end of the season and then be fired 21 16.94%
He will continue for the duration of his contract extension 16 12.90%
Never..it's always somebody else's fault (goalie, players etc.) 8 6.45%
Other (post in thread) 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Don't know if anyone has seen this yet: http://the700level.com/flyers/peter-...et-used-to-it/

Article is about Lavi and why he won't be fired this season.
It's baffling to me that they are so sure the Flyers will be above .500 at the halfway point.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It's baffling to me that they are so sure the Flyers will be above .500 at the halfway point.
im sure they think they win the next 41 games.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

With really hard @ss coaches you need an equally hard @ss captain to act as a go between like when we had Primeau with Hitch and then later Prongs with Lavi since Lavi and Richards didn't "see eye to eye."

Keenen obviously had one of the best captains ever in Messier. G is kind of player's captain more than a coach's captain in the Messier mold..that was also the deal with Richards. Not a knock necessarily just an observation about leadership style in the lockeroom and with particular coaches. You really need to take that into account when bringing in a coach...because if your leadership doesn't buy into the coach and act as that middle person who is willing to call out his players from time to time and be a hard @ss with a strong personality when necessary and be the coach's "general" ...then you will have problems...

Old
10-03-2013, 01:12 PM
PhillyFlying
F1eyrS

by the end of october, when the flyers have 25 GF and only 4 at ES.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:31 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

It baffles me that one of the best offensive squads in the league can only muster up 1 goal and it came on PP. Mason played well last night and his team let him down, I don't fault him for those 2 goals. Lavi has to get these guys to score goals or the Flyers will never win a game and Lavi can say bye to his job.

Old
10-03-2013, 01:40 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
It baffles me that one of the best offensive squads in the league can only muster up 1 goal and it came on PP. Mason played well last night and his team let him down, I don't fault him for those 2 goals. Lavi has to get these guys to score goals or the Flyers will never win a game and Lavi can say bye to his job.
Against a tired team no less....this is what gets me. They should have run that team out of the building if they could finish.

Again though..they can't be solely reliant on their PP. They need to improve their ES play because patient and disciplined teams will limit their chances even more.

Teams like Carolina and few others will run and gun with you but the ones that are really contenders will pull the stunts that NJ has been doing and they have better offenses to make you pay on the turnovers...

Old
10-03-2013, 01:54 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Terrible analysis......
Yup

If the Flyers are not in a good position in the next month or two Lavi's gone. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.

Old
10-03-2013, 02:07 PM
bennysflyers16

Mtl and Carolina coming up and we recall a 4th line fighter, **** this team is stupid

Old
10-03-2013, 02:11 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Mtl and Carolina coming up and we recall a 4th line fighter, **** this team is stupid
Hate to say it but it sounds like Broad Street mentality.

Old
10-03-2013, 02:30 PM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
You are not crazy but Iron Mike is...does he even want to coach anymore? Where is Paul Maurice these days?
Mike is on a contract in KHL

Old
10-03-2013, 03:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Yup

If the Flyers are not in a good position in the next month or two Lavi's gone. I don't know how anyone could argue otherwise.
This reminds me of the beginning of the end for Stevens when he was head coach. Hopefully this is a good omen that Laviolette is on the way out. Hopefully it also means that Holmgren doesn't do something stupid like trade away youth or fire Laviolette and replace him with someone like Ron Wilson.......

Old
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This reminds me of the beginning of the end for Stevens when he was head coach. Hopefully this is a good omen that Laviolette is on the way out. Hopefully it also means that Holmgren doesn't do something stupid like trade away youth or fire Laviolette and replace him with someone like Ron Wilson.......
Or Terry Murray...been there done that.
He`s eerily close though being the coach of the Phantoms...starting to scare me a little.

Last edited by FlyersFanz: 10-03-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old
10-03-2013, 03:47 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

This team is built in a way that it needs a coach to run a system similar to what Claude Julien runs in Boston.

Old
10-03-2013, 03:59 PM
Curufinwe

Is there anyone like Julien available?

Old
10-03-2013, 04:11 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFanz View Post
Or Terry Murray...been there done that.
He`s eerily close though being the coach of the Phantoms...starting to scare me a little.
I think the aversion to Murray is pretty ridiculous given just how badly the Flyers have been outcoached for the last 18 months. Coaches can learn from there past failures in the playoffs and go on to greater success in future jobs, e.g. Joel Quenneville.

It's also the case that Murray's specialty of team defense is the main problem with this team under Laviolette. His 101 and 98 point Kings teams had less talent than the Flyers have now.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 10-03-2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old
10-03-2013, 04:16 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I think the aversion to Murray is pretty ridiculous given just how badly the Flyers have been outcoached for the last 18 months. Coaches can learn from there past failures in the playoffs and go on to greater success in future jobs, e.g. Joel Quenneville.

It's also the case that the things Murray's speciality of team defense is the main problem with this team under Laviolette. His 101 and 98 point Kings teams had less talent than the Flyers have now.
I agree, I would give him a shot mid season. It doesn't mean you can't go elsewhere when the offseason comes around.

I mean the fact that he's even in the organization tells me he's next in line. When he was hired for the Phantoms he said he wouldn't have done so for any other team. You'd think they have every intention of naming him the next coach when the time comes.

Old
10-03-2013, 04:40 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
This team is built in a way that it needs a coach to run a system similar to what Claude Julien runs in Boston.
I've been advocating for this for a while. This team needs three zone discipline (that a guy like Julien would bring) to compensate for the lack of hockey sense that a lot of the players on the roster have. Lavy started out as a free wheeling creativity driven coach. He allowed his players to make a lot of decisions, and what we saw was a team that was prone to mental errors. In order to play that type of system, you need a team with an exceedingly high level of hockey sense, which they had in 2010. What we see now is Lavy trying to compensate for that by pulling back the reigns and taking a conservative approach through the neutral and offensive zones. He's neutered the only thing he did well as a coach, which was run and gun. This team looks nothing like the team they had even in 2011-2012. They look like a team that doesn't know if they want to be a run and gun team or a conservative defensive team, and the result is a crappy showing for both.

Old
10-03-2013, 06:53 PM
MountainHawk

When the Flyers are 0-5-1 with something like 9 goals scored and 25 GA, hopefully the axe will fall. This roster is good enough (when it isn't wasting space with Rosehill and Newbury) to finish 2nd or 3rd in the Metro.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:13 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
I've been advocating for this for a while. This team needs three zone discipline (that a guy like Julien would bring) to compensate for the lack of hockey sense that a lot of the players on the roster have. Lavy started out as a free wheeling creativity driven coach. He allowed his players to make a lot of decisions, and what we saw was a team that was prone to mental errors. In order to play that type of system, you need a team with an exceedingly high level of hockey sense, which they had in 2010. What we see now is Lavy trying to compensate for that by pulling back the reigns and taking a conservative approach through the neutral and offensive zones. He's neutered the only thing he did well as a coach, which was run and gun. This team looks nothing like the team they had even in 2011-2012. They look like a team that doesn't know if they want to be a run and gun team or a conservative defensive team, and the result is a crappy showing for both.
I'd have no problems with a guy like Claude Julien either. Defensive awareness is a must in Julien's system, but offense doesn't take a back seat either. It's a very balanced system. Another guy I'd hope the Flyers would consider if Laviolette is sent packing - Benoit Groulx.

Old
10-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

I'd like someone like Julien too. I don't want someone who tunnel-visions onto just offense or defense. I'm afraid they'll do something knee jerk, go in the opposite direction and get Guy Boucher.

10-03-2013, 09:43 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'd like someone like Julien too. I don't want someone who tunnel-visions onto just offense or defense. I'm afraid they'll do something knee jerk, go in the opposite direction and get Guy Boucher.
at this point i really dont care who we get..

just something different.. cuz what we have is clearly not working..

i swear a mop turned upside down with a suit on could coach better.

Old
10-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Larry44
Flyers Tank Nation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I'd have no problems with a guy like Claude Julien either. Defensive awareness is a must in Julien's system, but offense doesn't take a back seat either. It's a very balanced system. Another guy I'd hope the Flyers would consider if Laviolette is sent packing - Benoit Groulx.
And Groulx coached Giroux in Jr.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...032452006.html

Old
10-03-2013, 10:33 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well if he's good & interested hopefully Giroux puts a word in when Lavi gets canned.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:12 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Surprised this hasn't been reported in this thread:

Dreger on TSN's insider trading tonight reported Laviolette is on the hot seat and said it may be as few as 10 games before he's fired if the Flyers don't start winning. Mentioned Berube as a potential replacement.

The video is on TSN's website (might not work outside of Canada though).

Old
10-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Striiker
Orange and Black

If the Flyers are under .500 at the end of October Lavi is gone. I do, however, expect them to be over .500 despite what most on here seem to think. The team will get it together and start scoring more goals, the defense doesn't look as bad as I expected, and Mason looked good last night so hopefully he can continue to improve.

Closed Thread