HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ryan Smyth: The most useless player on the team

Old
10-03-2013, 08:58 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Man those were the days when we beat Anaheim with regularity.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:11 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

vCash: 500
Yep.

Smytty would stand in front of a freight train to score a goal for this team. How many other players can we say that about currently?

Steve BachIntyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:28 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlapshotSuperstar View Post
Yep.

Smytty would stand in front of a freight train to score a goal for this team. How many other players can we say that about currently?
Nobody has, or even is, questioning his will, just his abilities. They are not on par with the rest of the team now.

Love Smytty, has always been one of my favourites, but he's not doing the team any favours these days.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:49 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17Kurri View Post
Nobody has, or even is, questioning his will, just his abilities. They are not on par with the rest of the team now.

Love Smytty, has always been one of my favourites, but he's not doing the team any favours these days.
Smyth had a poor season last season, no doubt. He doesn't have the skills of our No. 1 overall picks, and he has lost a step since his heyday, but Smyth can still contribute in a lot of areas of the game. He's an experienced player, who creates traffic in front of net, gets a stick on any puck directed on net, and he works the boards nicely. Smyth is not a periphery player; he goes to the tough areas. You need those players and you need veteran players around to teach young players as well.

Hockey Buddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:57 PM
17Kurri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Smyth had a poor season last season, no doubt. He doesn't have the skills of our No. 1 overall picks, and he has lost a step since his heyday, but Smyth can still contribute in a lot of areas of the game. He's an experienced player, who creates traffic in front of net, gets a stick on any puck directed on net, and he works the boards nicely. Smyth is not a periphery player; he goes to the tough areas. You need those players and you need veteran players around to teach young players as well.
Put him on the 2nd PP unit and let him play up to 7 soft minutes a night and he'll be fine. Trouble is, it's not easy to find soft minutes these days.

17Kurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:08 PM
alphahelix

I just don't think he has the footspeed to play on that line. Maybe he can play with Gordon or something? We are giving up too much on the rush/transition by having him on that line. I like the rest of his game fine.

Last edited by alphahelix: 10-03-2013 at 11:17 PM.
alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:14 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Smyth does almost none of those things at this point in his career. He lost every puck/board battle last game. At best he can stand in front of the goalie and if we're lucky, not just act like another blocker. And when he is in front of the net, better cross that defense off your list of reasons he's on the line because he certainly isn't getting back for any turned over pucks.
I guess I'm disagreeing. On the play where Arcobello had the opportunity to score in the last minutes of the game, it was Smyth who was able to find him in front of the net and got the puck to him. On the goal by Hemsky, it was Smyth who drove Byfuglien into the goalie and then got out of the way when Hemsky shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
One game when we're already going to be in tough this season. There is no reason to toss away points for nostalgia's sake and drag our best player down with this anchor around his neck.
The problem I have with this - is that against Winnipeg Smyth wasn't even the worse player on his line. IMO, Hall had a worse performance than Smyth - two costly turnovers leading directly to goals. Those weren't on Smyth - but Hall. And yet, everyone's blaming Smyth...? Where's the criticism on Hall?

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:17 PM
GreatKeith

One or two decent players by Smyth doesn't make up for the numerous mistakes he makes. His penalty is a perfect example of that.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:20 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
One or two decent players by Smyth doesn't make up for the numerous mistakes he makes. His penalty is a perfect example of that.
Right, so tell me all the board battles that he supposedly lost, his one penalty - how is that measured against Hall's two turnovers that lead directly to Winnipeg's two goals?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:21 PM
GreatKeith

I don't think anyone's going to deny Taylor Hall had a bad game...

The problem here is that Hall had one bad game.

Smyth hasn't had a memorable game (positively) in quite some time. The only thing I remember from him all of last year was that hat trick of penalties in Columbus.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:27 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
I don't think anyone's going to deny Taylor Hall had a bad game...

The problem here is that Hall had one bad game.

Smyth hasn't had a memorable game (positively) in quite some time. The only thing I remember from him all of last year was that hat trick of penalties in Columbus.
Ah, so its Smyth's entire history of bad games from last season that people are upset about.

I find it ridiculous that people are going on and on about Smyth being the worst player on the team, the worst player in the league, he should be waived etc.

When
a) he's not the worst player on the team. Steve MacIntyre is. After Mac, its Brown. Truly.
b) he wasn't the worst player in the winnipeg loss, it was Dubnyk. Followed by Hall.

And yet, after the ONE game, people are moaning and wailing about Smyth. So he lost some board battles. So he took a bad penalty.

So what? Did he cost the team the game? Did he cause any of the Jet goals directly?

Old
10-03-2013, 11:32 PM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Ah, so its Smyth's entire history of bad games from last season that people are upset about.

I find it ridiculous that people are going on and on about Smyth being the worst player on the team, the worst player in the league, he should be waived etc.

When
a) he's not the worst player on the team. Steve MacIntyre is. After Mac, its Brown. Truly.
b) he wasn't the worst player in the winnipeg loss, it was Dubnyk. Followed by Hall.

And yet, after the ONE game, people are moaning and wailing about Smyth. So he lost some board battles. So he took a bad penalty.

So what? Did he cost the team the game? Did he cause any of the Jet goals directly?
It's not just last season. It's every game since December of 2011. He just isn't that good.

And Brown/MacIntyre aren't playing top line minutes. Brown's not a good hockey player but he was effective in his role in the Jets game.

The thing that frustrates people is that he's playing with the best player on our team when he has done nothing to deserve it. Meanwhile Yakupov, last season's goal scoring leader, is toiling on the third line and being benched.

Smyth didn't cost us the game, but he sure didn't win it for us either. He just isn't that good anymore, and the worst part is that he doesn't recognize it. I only hope Eakins does before Hall becomes completely ineffective.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:43 PM
s7ark

Quote:
I guess I'm disagreeing. On the play where Arcobello had the opportunity to score in the last minutes of the game, it was Smyth who was able to find him in front of the net and got the puck to him. On the goal by Hemsky, it was Smyth who drove Byfuglien into the goalie and then got out of the way when Hemsky shot.
And apart from those 2 situations he broke up the offensive flow of his line almost every other time.

Quote:
The problem I have with this - is that against Winnipeg Smyth wasn't even the worse player on his line. IMO, Hall had a worse performance than Smyth - two costly turnovers leading directly to goals. Those weren't on Smyth - but Hall. And yet, everyone's blaming Smyth...? Where's the criticism on Hall?
I have criticized Hall for that game. He played poorly. But he's also our best player and we know what he can do. Smyth hasn't looked like a top 9 NHL player since Dec 2011. Hall will bounce back and play like Hall again. Smyth has given everything he has to give.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:44 PM
Hockey Buddha
Joensuu

Quote:

Two excellent points, Master Lok.

Smyth has become the new whipping boy for fans, which is sad. I think that he'll win back the hearts of fans somewhat over the course of the season. Hemsky has silenced his critics with his play, and he was a whipping boy for a longer term than Smyth has been. The Oilers have to start winning and all will be forgiven. As MacTavish has stated, losing garners criticism. Every player is under the microscope, having the flaws in their game exposed, discussed, rehashed, and paraded about town.

Hockey Buddha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:

So I guess its only important to point out any good plays Smyth does but dismiss the multiple facepalms beer league plays he does a game...... gotcha

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:59 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
It's not just last season. It's every game since December of 2011. He just isn't that good.

And Brown/MacIntyre aren't playing top line minutes. Brown's not a good hockey player but he was effective in his role in the Jets game.

The thing that frustrates people is that he's playing with the best player on our team when he has done nothing to deserve it. Meanwhile Yakupov, last season's goal scoring leader, is toiling on the third line and being benched.

Smyth didn't cost us the game, but he sure didn't win it for us either. He just isn't that good anymore, and the worst part is that he doesn't recognize it. I only hope Eakins does before Hall becomes completely ineffective.
This is just plain silly, How could you even use this in a debate? You think that Eakins is playin him out of sympathy? Or is Smytty supposed to say "Hey coach I'm no good anymore, could ya please stick me in the pressbox?" get with it. Eakins and MacT are the ones who decide how good he is and if he plays. He does what he is told. including bleed. Also stating that Smytty doesn't realize he is getting up there in years in kind of far out there as well. Smyth has increased his training regimen vastly this past summer and is 100% on board with the Eakins fitness routine, and will only improve as time goes on. It is a new season now with a new schedule and new stats, and we will see who the best player is after the dust settles in the Spring/Summer.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:06 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
This is just plain silly, How could you even use this in a debate? You think that Eakins is playin him out of sympathy? Or is Smytty supposed to say "Hey coach I'm no good anymore, could ya please stick me in the pressbox?" get with it. Eakins and MacT are the ones who decide how good he is and if he plays. He does what he is told. including bleed. Also stating that Smytty doesn't realize he is getting up there in years in kind of far out there as well. Smyth has increased his training regimen vastly this past summer and is 100% on board with the Eakins fitness routine, and will only improve as time goes on. It is a new season now with a new schedule and new stats, and we will see who the best player is after the dust settles in the Spring/Summer.
Thanks you just explained Eakins favoritisim, wonder if Smyth brings him a apple to every practice

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:13 AM
GreatKeith

Quote:
Smyth obviously isn't going to tell Eakins to put him in the PB, but that being said he could approach the coach and say that his play isn't up to snuff and maybe he should be demoted as a result. Somebody earlier in this thread pointed out that early into the '06 season, Brett Hull realized he just didn't have it anymore and hung them up. Smyth hasn't had it for nearly 2 years now.

Ryan has always struck me as a guy that sees himself better than he really is. From the infamous 100k to saying "I feel I could play forever".

The thing that really stood out to me was that Smyth struggled last year despite having half of the year off. It's impossible to think he could survive an 82 game season. And the Jets game was the same stuff we saw a lot of last year. Some decent play, but mostly slow skating, lazy penalties, and just general play killing.

There isn't a single reason to place him on Hall's line. None. Especially when Hall had chemistry with Yakupov near the end of last season.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:22 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Thanks you just explained Eakins favoritisim, wonder if Smyth brings him a apple to every practice
Eakins has Ryan Smyth drinking nothing but pure Werewolfs blood everyday. Apples are for the smile happy kids with unbroken noses.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:33 AM
Nail and Nuge

I find that slow stride of his so irritating to watch when he is playing alongside Hall and Hemsky.

I don't think you will find one board member who questions Smyth's courage or ability to take punishment in the blue paint. The issue is his lack of speed, his weak shot and his frustrating habit of reaching and pulling people down in the offensive zone.

He has a role on this team. No way, however, is that role anywhere close to a first line player.

Nail and Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Qrispy

Quote:

When

1. BigMac and Brown aren't playing first line minutes.
2. Okay, so he was the 3rd worst. Big deal.
3. He's been bad for a long time.

Next.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:30 AM
duul

Quote:

When

I would disagree with you when you say MacIntyre and Brown are worse than Smyth. Smyth might have had more talent back in the day but right now Brown could out skate, out hit, out shoot and simply outplay Smytty. As for MacIntyre he has one role. He plays a couple minutes a night at best only to fight people. And at least he has a purpose.

The only thing Smyth did at the end of last season and the start of this season so far is be a negative effect on the line he is on. He simply cannot do anything. The last time he was 'good along the boards' was over 2 years ago at best. Look at his game and other than be a good locker room presence which isn't on the ice mind you, what is he good at? He doesn't excel or is even average at any facet of the game anymore. There was one play last game, his penalty. He received a pass and if he had put any effort into his pass, I think it was Hall was flying and could have had a great opportunity. Instead, Smyth takes his time and flutters a pass across the neutral zone and the other teams player picks it off easily. Someone in house league could have made that pass, hell all he had to do was chip it past the defenceman and against the boards where Hall could have picked it up. So then he grabs onto the defenceman and drags them both down, and gets a penalty.

How many turnovers did he have, 10? And this is a routine thing. Of course Hall and Dubnyk had terrible games but this is the norm for Smyth and I'm simply sick of it. Put MacIntyre on that line, at least he serves a purpose. Smyth turns the puck over constantly, loses every battle it seems, flubs ever pass/shot, loses every race to the puck, and to boot doesn't even intimidate anyone. The opposition and probably even his own teammates must laugh while watching him play the game because I know I sure do. I almost want him to keep playing so many minutes because it's good for a laugh. I cry from laughter watching the poor guy try to take corners at his top speed. Or him trying to backcheck with the inevitable random slash while he's failing to chase the guy ahead of him. He's like a borderline AHLer/4th liner without any redeeming factors like being able to fight or even throw a hit.

I might be a little hard on ol' Smytty because I am sure he is a standup guy. He is an alternate captain and he seems genuinely nice in his interviews, but get the **** off the ice man. It's time to take him out behind the barn.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:25 AM
Horseradish

Smyth would still make the 4th line on virtually any team in the league still. Sure, he's lost a step. But Christ, Luke Richardson, Sean O'Donnell, Michal Handzus, Adam Oates, Lyle Odelein, and on it goes all played into their late 30s. There's no reason Smyth can't play well, at the very least, on the 4th line. And if he's willing to be paid 3rd or 4th line dollars, I'd sign him for another year, provided that he doesn't suffer pneumonia or something. Still a useful, though certainly limited, NHL player.

And as long as the club employs plugs like Brown, Gadzic, or MacIntyre, Smyth could likely stay ahead of them (on hockey ability at least) well into his 40s (let's hope that our team improves beyond any of them though).

Last edited by s7ark: 10-04-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: cleanup
Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:41 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
I would disagree with you when you say MacIntyre and Brown are worse than Smyth. Smyth might have had more talent back in the day but right now Brown could out skate, out hit, out shoot and simply outplay Smytty. As for MacIntyre he has one role. He plays a couple minutes a night at best only to fight people. And at least he has a purpose.
I really have to question your hockey knowledge. This isn't even close to a dispute. Outskate, outhit, outshoot, - who cares? Bottom line its effectiveness. Check out last years stats.

In 47 games last year, Smyth scored 13 pts and was -5. And recall that he was playing out of position for a fair part of the season.

So this wonderkind Brown - who can outshoot and outplay Smyth? In 27 games, Mike Brown scored ONE point and was -8.

Its a laugh if you actually think Mike Brown can outplay Smyth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
How many turnovers did he have, 10? And this is a routine thing. Of course Hall and Dubnyk had terrible games but this is the norm for Smyth and I'm simply sick of it. Put MacIntyre on that line, at least he serves a purpose. Smyth turns the puck over constantly, loses every battle it seems, flubs ever pass/shot, loses every race to the puck, and to boot doesn't even intimidate anyone.
Wow. Did you even watch the game? You want to know how many turnovers Smyth had? Check out www.nhl.com. The stats are there. Smyth had ONE giveaway. Not 10. I'm thinking that you're really seeing things that simply aren't there. Your bias is really affecting how you see the game.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
1. BigMac and Brown aren't playing first line minutes.
2. Okay, so he was the 3rd worst. Big deal.
3. He's been bad for a long time.

Next.
1. Is that the argument now? I thought the argument that Smyth was the worst player in the league, and in light of the criticism in this thread, one would think he cost the team the game.
2. Its a simple question. DID SMYTH COST THE OILERS THE GAME? Or how about this one - DID HE COST THE OILERS A GOAL?

Quite simply no, he did not.

Look, I'm not suggesting that Smyth is a first line winger, he's not. At best, he's a 3rd line or 4th line winger. So what do people expect when you put a 3rd/4th line winger on the first line? He didn't cost the Oilers the game, nor a goal and he got an assist out there.