HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Old
10-02-2013, 01:31 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
TSN has lots of money. If there smart they buy out a station lower on the dial in the 600-800 range and can send a decent signal a lot further. anything over an hour west of Edmonton and the 1260 signal is garbage.
Bingo.

This is exactly what needs to happen.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 12:53 PM
joestevens29

Didn't Rogers just sign a 700mil deal with the Oilers? With everything else that has been said it would appear Rogers could very well be setting up to get the Radio rights.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 01:27 PM
timekeep

vCash: 500
And the commercials have changed a bit. Just need to get rid of Stats guy Lowetide.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
And the commercials have changed a bit. Just need to get rid of Stats guy Lowetide.
I don't mind Lowetide for a couple hours in the day, sometimes he is maybe a little too nice and positive, but I think that is just his personality, he seems like a great person.

As for Dellows... I quite enjoy listening to him on occassion but I do find that he is getting close to over saturation, between Lowetide and Stauffer he seems to be on the air 4 out of 5 days a week. Part of it is likely my own fault because while I'm at work I'm listening to 1260 all day with an interlude for Stauffer at noon.

If they don't find a good local host for the noon hour on team 1260 I wouldn't mind a good national show, even if it focuses on hockey. I listened to Rome for a year before he left for Lowetide and I can't say I miss him. His shtick didn't do it for me.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:11 PM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 367
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by bardfromedson View Post
TSN has lots of money. If there smart they buy out a station lower on the dial in the 600-800 range and can send a decent signal a lot further. anything over an hour west of Edmonton and the 1260 signal is garbage.
I live a little over an hour west of Edmonton (Drayton Valley) and I normally don't get any issues with radio quality with the team unless I drive by a building that creates interference like a car wash.

10-03-2013, 11:48 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
I live a little over an hour west of Edmonton (Drayton Valley) and I normally don't get any issues with radio quality with the team unless I drive by a building that creates interference like a car wash.
As a rule Am stations high up on the dial simply do not carry very well...especially at night when they cut the signal.
Try tuning into 1260 after dark....very inconsistent an hour out of the city.
It will never be at the quality the CHED signal is unless they move down the dial below 1000 kHz. The lower the better.

I would be very surprised if they did that though.

guymez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:58 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Didn't Rogers just sign a 700mil deal with the Oilers? With everything else that has been said it would appear Rogers could very well be setting up to get the Radio rights.
Would agree and I think they wraped it up quick to shutout tsn as well.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:48 AM
hawks889

I was sorry to see spec leave. He tells it like it is and provides unbiased honest opinions While lowetide might be a nice guy I don't like listening to a cheerleader on the air. His opinions on the oilers are always they are great and in fact he even said that oilers first 3 lines were spectacular. I expect that out of 630 ched guys who are the oilers rights holders but not out a 1260 host. Also talking about all those advanced stats and Corsi numbers is honestly quite boring to the average listener I never thought I would say this. But I miss Jim Rome.

hawks889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:59 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I never listen to Spec on the radio, or the radio in general, but do follow him on Twitter, and he seems to be a lot pissier lately than usual. Not sure if that shows up on air, but if so, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to that.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:05 AM
hawks889

Spec is just honest and doesn't suck up to the oilers or the Eskimos on air. I enjoy his analysis because its not the typical stuff you hear on local radio. Definitely my favourite radio host but its too bad he had to quit

Old
10-04-2013, 09:03 AM
Hockey Nightmare
Ex-hockey fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawks889 View Post
I was sorry to see spec leave. He tells it like it is and provides unbiased honest opinions While lowetide might be a nice guy I don't like listening to a cheerleader on the air. His opinions on the oilers are always they are great and in fact he even said that oilers first 3 lines were spectacular. I expect that out of 630 ched guys who are the oilers rights holders but not out a 1260 host. Also talking about all those advanced stats and Corsi numbers is honestly quite boring to the average listener I never thought I would say this. But I miss Jim Rome.
So I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this about lowetide. That's why I barely go to his site or read what he says on the nation. Almost seems like every article of his is gushing or uncritical about this player or that player - whether it's deserved or not.

Hockey Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:09 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I never listen to Spec on the radio, or the radio in general, but do follow him on Twitter, and he seems to be a lot pissier lately than usual. Not sure if that shows up on air, but if so, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to that.
Spec has a few different sides. He has the side that when on Gregor's show just gives his opinion, but makes sure it didn't cross Gregor's. There is the Spec that just doesn't give a **** what people think and throws is opinion out there, that's the Sportsnet.ca and twitter spec. Finally there is Marc Spector show Spec, the guy that still throws his own opinion out there, but doesn't do it to aggressively to piss people off. He still takes a hard stance, but chooses his words differently then he would on twitter or sportsnet.ca.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:38 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Spector is pretty brutal.
Last year he was beating the 'Eager in the Top 6' drum pretty hard.
This year it was the Steve MacIntyre crap.

I think Spector is not so secretly a Nucks fan.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:01 PM
JMecc
#FireLowe

Rome just repeats each bit of "news" (i.e. random dumb things athletes have said lately) a bunch of times in different ways so if you didn't get it the first few times or didn't think it was funny maybe the 3rd or 4th version will appeal to you. It's pretty much like shows about hollywood gossip but for sports.

Not only do I not like this schtick, but I also don't care at all about NFL or college football. I know some here like the football talk but my vote would be for 97% Hockey, 2-3% CFL, and the remaining <1% being to report only the biggest stories in NFL, golf, whatever else.

JMecc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:47 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

Quote:
Some people do not like LT because he goes deeper into what people are talking and looks at things a little longer--

and as the first mod on this board when dinosaurs roamed the earth-- I hope he stays

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:06 PM
Empros*

Quote:
Are Spence Diamonds still getting air time? Kind of annoying having to turn off the radio every time they come up.

Empros* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:52 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Some people do not like LT because he goes deeper into what people are talking and looks at things a little longer--

and as the first mod on this board when dinosaurs roamed the earth-- I hope he stays
Lowetide is great. I read his blog regularly also. One of the few blogs I frequent often.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:16 AM
hawks889

If you like listening to a guy fawning over the oilers and always saying how great the oilers are then lowetide is your man

Old
10-07-2013, 01:25 AM
timekeep

Quote:
If you like listening to a guy fawning over the oilers and always saying how great the oilers are then lowetide is your man
And I find the deep stats too much for a full show every day.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:31 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 367
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
I prefer Lowetide over what they had before, I hate Jim Rome.

The Head Crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:02 AM
harpoon
FOB

The post game show on CHED is now unlistenable.
I dunno who the guy is replacing Tencer, but he's terrible.
Feel sorry for Rob Brown.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:16 AM
Horseradish

Maybe he's way more uncritical on the air, but LT's blog is hardly a gusher about the Oilers.

And it's a nice mix of well-organized "every man"-type thoughts and assessments alongside statistical analysis. He's not quite Jonathan Willis good, but he's close.

Anybody who outright dismisses statistical analysis is either unintelligent or stubborn-to-the-point of stupid. I can understand that it could be dry at times if you don't understand it, but take 5 minutes to learn the basics behind advanced stats and it'll be more useful and insightful than anything an "I saw him real good" kind of analysis could ever hope to be.

I don't understand the anti-stats folks. Make no sense to me. Who do you consult when wondering what the weather will be like tomorrow? A meteorological service (which, like statistical analysis, has room for error but is generally somewhat correct...the equivalent of Bowman, Neilson, or Babcock) or the old man down the street on his porch with a wonky knee and a twitchy eye (...which, for hockey purposes, is basically Don Cherry and Glenn Healy).

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 06:24 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
Maybe he's way more uncritical on the air, but LT's blog is hardly a gusher about the Oilers.

And it's a nice mix of well-organized "every man"-type thoughts and assessments alongside statistical analysis. He's not quite Jonathan Willis good, but he's close.

Anybody who outright dismisses statistical analysis is either unintelligent or stubborn-to-the-point of stupid. I can understand that it could be dry at times if you don't understand it, but take 5 minutes to learn the basics behind advanced stats and it'll be more useful and insightful than anything an "I saw him real good" kind of analysis could ever hope to be.

I don't understand the anti-stats folks. Make no sense to me. Who do you consult when wondering what the weather will be like tomorrow? A meteorological service (which, like statistical analysis, has room for error but is generally somewhat correct...the equivalent of Bowman, Neilson, or Babcock) or the old man down the street on his porch with a wonky knee and a twitchy eye (...which, for hockey purposes, is basically Don Cherry and Glenn Healy).
I look out the window to see if it's raining or not.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 07:14 AM
oilers83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post

There's a huge difference in watching someone perform in a certain situation, ie making a bad play but not determining who you play with or against which is a huge variable that can't be computed, Which have a major factor in what a players "stats" have to say about there game.

It is very unfair and look back at the situation that there coach, inevitably, put them and the "mathematically" decide if they succeeded or not. We have no clue of what there coach told them before the shift, ie "dump it every time and go lay a lick on someone"

The mathematical analysis of an almost strategical and emotional game has confused for a while.

oilers83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:25 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
There's a huge difference in watching someone perform in a certain situation, ie making a bad play but not determining who you play with or against which is a huge variable that can't be computed, Which have a major factor in what a players "stats" have to say about there game.

It is very unfair and look back at the situation that there coach, inevitably, put them and the "mathematically" decide if they succeeded or not. We have no clue of what there coach told them before the shift, ie "dump it every time and go lay a lick on someone"

The mathematical analysis of an almost strategical and emotional game has confused for a while.
Spot on. Good example would be Toews in last year's playoffs. To the stat obsessing fantasy crowd, he had a disappointing playoff run. To Joel Quenneville, he did everything that was asked of him.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote