HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2013 Draft Class Status

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-29-2013, 10:11 AM
  #1
FanboySlayer*
*********
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
2013 Draft Class Status

How many of the top draft picks from this latest draft are likely to begin this season in the NHL? I check the scoring summaries from the pre-season games and it doesn't look like any of them lit it up during pre-season.

We're keeping Ristolainen and may give Zadorov a look <9 games. Vancouver is keeping Horvat and Shinkaruk around for a look. I assume Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Jones will stick. What about Lindholm, Monahan and any others from the 2013 class?

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:23 AM
  #2
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
It looks like Monahan will get at least a 9 game look from the Flames, but it's not a sure thing. Lindholm has been confirmed to be on Carolina's opening night roster and will get a chance to prove if he's ready for the NHL. If not, he might spend most of the season in the AHL.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:42 AM
  #3
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Doesn't seem like Drouin will stick actually, he'll be back in Halifax with Fucale.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:43 AM
  #4
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
How many of the top draft picks from this latest draft are likely to begin this season in the NHL? I check the scoring summaries from the pre-season games and it doesn't look like any of them lit it up during pre-season.

We're keeping Ristolainen and may give Zadorov a look <9 games. Vancouver is keeping Horvat and Shinkaruk around for a look. I assume Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov and Jones will stick. What about Lindholm, Monahan and any others from the 2013 class?
8of the top 10 are going to be in the opening day lineup, only Darnell Nurse (returned) and Jonathan Drouin are possibly being returned. Outside the top 10 Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat are getting the 9 game trial, I would guess one or both get returned when Kassian returns.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 10:45 AM
  #5
1972
Registered User
 
1972's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Doesn't seem like Drouin will stick actually, he'll be back in Halifax with Fucale.
That is the sounds of it, they have a bunch of other NHL prospects they want to give an opportunity too and they seem to want Jonathan Drouin to play center, Halifax is a good place for him to learn that position and be the guy on the World Junior team.

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:41 PM
  #6
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,677
vCash: 500
Bobby Mac seems to think Bo Horvat is being sent back to London because he wasnt at practice today.

I know Max Domi has been sent back to London already.

Beerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:45 PM
  #7
ThatsAud
Registered User
 
ThatsAud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 35
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Outside the top 10 Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat are getting the 9 game trial...
Bo Horvat was drafted in the top 10. Number 9 overall.

ThatsAud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:49 PM
  #8
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
8of the top 10 are going to be in the opening day lineup, only Darnell Nurse (returned) and Jonathan Drouin are possibly being returned. Outside the top 10 Hunter Shinkaruk and Bo Horvat are getting the 9 game trial, I would guess one or both get returned when Kassian returns.
I though Horvat was selected at #9...which I think still is in the top 10

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 12:50 PM
  #9
Djp
Registered User
 
Djp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Seattle,WA
Posts: 5,770
vCash: 500
Drouin has been sent down....

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:39 PM
  #10
Wandering Cynic
Registered User
 
Wandering Cynic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 78
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Bobby Mac seems to think Bo Horvat is being sent back to London because he wasnt at practice today.

I know Max Domi has been sent back to London already.
Horvat got sent down.

Wandering Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 03:55 PM
  #11
Jacob582
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,128
vCash: 500
Okay, to try to assemble what people have posted:
(Any changes/additions?)

1 1 Colorado Nathan MacKinnon -made team
1 2 Florida Aleksander Barkov
1 3 Tampa Bay Jonathan Drouin - returned to juniors
1 4 Nashville Seth Jones - made team
1 5 Carolina Elias Lindholm - on opening night roster
1 6 Calgary Sean Monahan
1 7 Edmonton Darnell Nurse - returned to juniors
1 8 Buffalo Rasmus Ristolainen - made team
1 9 Vancouver Bo Horvat -returned to juniors
1 10 Dallas Valeri Nichushkin - made team
1 11 Philadelphia Samuel Morin - returned to juniors
1 12 Phoenix Max Domi - returned to juniors
1 13 Winnipeg Josh Morrissey - returned to juniors
1 14 Columbus Alexander Wennberg
1 15 NY Islanders Ryan Pulock
1 16 Buffalo Nikita Zadorov - IR or juniors?

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 04:16 PM
  #12
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox
 
couture23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: GTA/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,950
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Okay, to try to assemble what people have posted:
(Any changes/additions?)

1 1 Colorado Nathan MacKinnon -made team
1 2 Florida Aleksander Barkov
1 3 Tampa Bay Jonathan Drouin - returned to juniors
1 4 Nashville Seth Jones - made team
1 5 Carolina Elias Lindholm - on opening night roster
1 6 Calgary Sean Monahan
1 7 Edmonton Darnell Nurse - returned to juniors
1 8 Buffalo Rasmus Ristolainen - made team
1 9 Vancouver Bo Horvat -returned to juniors
1 10 Dallas Valeri Nichushkin - made team
1 11 Philadelphia Samuel Morin - returned to juniors
1 12 Phoenix Max Domi - returned to juniors
1 13 Winnipeg Josh Morrissey - returned to juniors
1 14 Columbus Alexander Wennberg
1 15 NY Islanders Ryan Pulock
1 16 Buffalo Nikita Zadorov - IR or juniors?
Barkov made the Panthers, will be 2C. Monahan I expect to be 3C on the Flames.

As for Wennberg, he likely heads back to Sweden for a year, and Pulock will go back to Brandon because the NYI have way too many NHL-ready defensemen.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:24 PM
  #13
FanboySlayer*
*********
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
I read on a Canes site that Lindholm could go to the AHL since he missed a lot of the pre-season. So Europeans can go to the AHL while those who are drafted from the CHL have to go back to their junior teams.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 05:52 PM
  #14
tsujimoto74
Registered User
 
tsujimoto74's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,699
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
I read on a Canes site that Lindholm could go to the AHL since he missed a lot of the pre-season. So Europeans can go to the AHL while those who are drafted from the CHL have to go back to their junior teams.
If he has a contract with Brynas still, probably not. He could be sent there for a conditioning stint, but the vast majority of European contracts only have out clauses for the NHL and not the AHL.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 06:58 PM
  #15
mgeise
Registered User
 
mgeise's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,410
vCash: 500
Chip Alexander from the Raleigh News and Observer tweeted "Rutherford said Elias Lindholm (hand injury) would be on the opening night roster. Then decision to be made if he needs games in Charlotte." Indicates that he'll either be in the NHL or AHL this year, but it's unclear if the "games in Charlotte" part would just be for a conditioning stint.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-29-2013, 09:59 PM
  #16
FanboySlayer*
*********
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
ahhh that's what he meant - coming off an injury a conditioning stint with their AHL team in Charlotte.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:12 PM
  #17
FanboySlayer*
*********
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Shinkaruk sent back to juniors.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 08:17 PM
  #18
Woodhouse
Global Moderator
Away, PM another mod
 
Woodhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 7,356
vCash: 666
Wennberg's been playing in Europe (SHL).

Lindholm has only played in Carolina's preseason opener IIRC, so saying he's made their roster is a bit premature until his injuries subside and conditioning returns.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 10:02 PM
  #19
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,249
vCash: 500
Awards:
MacKinnon just had a scuffle with Ben Lovejoy in the Avs game. He's all over the ice out there.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 11:04 PM
  #20
FanboySlayer*
*********
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 295
vCash: 500
Mackinnon looks every bit the #1 pick, will be a beast with finesse, and of course we should have tanked last season.

FanboySlayer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:15 AM
  #21
Buffalo Warlord
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Zadorov should go back to a London and win a memorial cup with the Knights.

Buffalo Warlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:50 AM
  #22
Hagged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
2nd OA pick Aleksander Barkov scored a goal typically for him from winning a battle in front of the goal. He also became the youngest to score a goal in the NHL since the 1967 expansion.

I feel like you could make a good top six line out of these top prospects this season already.

Nichuskin-Barkov-Mckinnon
Ristolainen-Jones

Hagged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:03 AM
  #23
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,585
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
2nd OA pick Aleksander Barkov scored a goal typically for him from winning a battle in front of the goal. He also became the youngest to score a goal in the NHL since the 1967 expansion.

I feel like you could make a good top six line out of these top prospects this season already.

Nichuskin-Barkov-Mckinnon
Ristolainen-Jones
You could definitely use that as a top forward line but the d-pairing would ideally be a team's 3rd or at least 2nd pairing until those two get a lot more experience.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.