HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mact's performance thus far.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-03-2013, 04:15 AM
  #651
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,194
vCash: 500
well, now that the regular season roster is in, what do you think?

Joensuu looks like a great find
Acton... not bad. solid
Gazdic... too early, but first impression is he might be just what we've needed for a while.
Gordon is solid. not any better than Horcoff, but he won't ***** and go to Katz if he is on the 3rd line.
the bottom 6 is better than last year.

Ference is solid but is never going to set the world on fire.
Belov looks like to be a good, solid top 4, possibly better.
the D corp is better than last year.

Peron looks to be a very good pick up. major upgrade on Paajarvi

the team already looks to be more tenacious under Eakins then they ever did under Kruger.

a few strange moves, like signing SMac, but I'm OK with it.

overall, Mact looks to have improved the team, but he should have addressed the C position. that might (probably will) cost him a playoff spot.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:13 AM
  #652
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse
 
Hockey Buddha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
well, now that the regular season roster is in, what do you think?

Joensuu looks like a great find
Acton... not bad. solid
Gazdic... too early, but first impression is he might be just what we've needed for a while.
Gordon is solid. not any better than Horcoff, but he won't ***** and go to Katz if he is on the 3rd line.
the bottom 6 is better than last year.

Ference is solid but is never going to set the world on fire.
Belov looks like to be a good, solid top 4, possibly better.
the D corp is better than last year.

Peron looks to be a very good pick up. major upgrade on Paajarvi

the team already looks to be more tenacious under Eakins then they ever did under Kruger.

a few strange moves, like signing SMac, but I'm OK with it.

overall, Mact looks to have improved the team, but he should have addressed the C position. that might (probably will) cost him a playoff spot.
A lot of positives in the changes made by MacT this summer. Importantly, he has not given up any significant pieces, although I still think Paajarvi could become a reasonably good NHL player. However, that is not set in stone and Perron is already a high quality, offensive threat on the ice, who shows up offensively every night.
  • Perron is an skill player, who plays with more jam than I expected.
  • Joensuu is a great signing. He's the exact type of player that the team has lacked.
  • Belov is solid on the blueline, has a great first pass, and has a reputation for hard hitting, although we have not yet seen too much of it. I think as Belov becomes more comfortable with the North American game, he'll add that dimension.
  • Grebeshkov was one of my favourite Oilers a few years back. He's never been able to entirely shake the chaos from his game, but god, he was good in 08-09.
  • Eakins still seems like the right guy for the job in this situation.
  • Also, Hemsky seems reborn. He's a fun player to watch again.

    MacT has made a series of improvements to this club, and I'm confident that he'll continue to mould this club throughout the season as opportunities arise. In four short months, he's already filled a significant number of the holes on this roster and having yet to make a deal that mortgages the future. So far, it's hard not to like the changes that he's made. It's all upgrading.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:31 AM
  #653
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Perron, Joensuu, Gordon, Gazdic, Acton
Belov, Ference
Labarbara

I guess he delivered what he said. 7 to 8 changes. Adding size and grit.

Got rid of Horcoff and thankfully kept Hemsky.

No one is perfect and the haters are going to hate... He gets an A- from me.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 09:25 AM
  #654
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit
 
dustrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 5,258
vCash: 500
Can't blame him for the Gagner injury but no center depth.

Only moves I didn't like were Garbagekov & SMac.


Once RNH & Gagner are back we'll really see

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 09:27 AM
  #655
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,576
vCash: 427
Too early for anything. The only thing I can take out of that game is that guys questioning JJ's speed were out to lunch. I thought we had another Ryan Stone on our hands when listening to some of the local radio.

Outside of that, I'll wait before rating MacT.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:54 AM
  #656
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,652
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
well, now that the regular season roster is in, what do you think?
Gordon is solid. not any better than Horcoff, but he won't ***** and go to Katz if he is on the 3rd line.
It's only one regular season game, but could you tell me why you think Gordon is no better than Horcoff?
from preseason and the first game, I would think he'd be considered an improvement, and at less cost.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:02 AM
  #657
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Can't blame him for the Gagner injury but no center depth.

Only moves I didn't like were Garbagekov & SMac.


Once RNH & Gagner are back we'll really see
Meh they were just insurance moves and shouldnt impact the club too much..

The only one I did not like was the signing of Labarbara. I think there were better backups available.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 11:14 AM
  #658
Toydarian
Registered User
 
Toydarian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,518
vCash: 500
MacT has made moves that (so far) look like they have improved the Oilers.

Most Notable:
  • He signed Gagner to a reasonable deal, which won't handcuff EDM in the future.
  • Drafted Nurse 7th overall, who couldn't have shown any better in training camp.
  • Traded Horcoff's constraining contract.
  • Improved the team defensively, signing Ferance, Belov, Grebeshkov, and acquiring Larsen.
  • Improved the size and grit of the forward corp through the additions of Joensuu, Perron, Gordon, Gazdic, and MacIntyre.
  • Extended Nugent-Hopkins, solidifying EDM's no.1 centre position.

Overall, in one offseason, MacTavish has made a lot of changes. Many might seem small, but collectively they look to have made the Oilers a better team. How much better is yet to be determined.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:49 PM
  #659
Broilers
Registered User
 
Broilers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,019
vCash: 500
C

He has done decent job. Because he didn't find center to replace Gagner and RNH only C. Otherwise B.

I doubt his ability a lot but I have started to like his moves. Anyway if we don't make top 5 in our division he will get grade ******* and should be fired

Broilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:06 PM
  #660
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...
 
stratedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,335
vCash: 500
Goaltending is a bigger problem than centre right now. In the pre-season and now that opening game, Dubnyk has looked worse than I can ever remember him playing. I hope it's just rust but I don't remember him being so bad to start last year.

I'm thinking that perhaps betting on Dubnyk and not getting a "1b" goalie may be the thing we look back on at the end of the season and say "that's what MacT should have done differently last summer".

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:14 PM
  #661
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratedge View Post
Goaltending is a bigger problem than centre right now. In the pre-season and now that opening game, Dubnyk has looked worse than I can ever remember him playing. I hope it's just rust but I don't remember him being so bad to start last year.

I'm thinking that perhaps betting on Dubnyk and not getting a "1b" goalie may be the thing we look back on at the end of the season and say "that's what MacT should have done differently last summer".
MacT publically stated his interest in Schneider and Raanta and many believed that we were in on Bernier as well. To say MacT didnt try to land a beter goalie would be incorrect.

He has not been a Dubnyk backer since the start and will pounce on anything better if given the opportunity.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:17 PM
  #662
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has done decent job. Because he didn't find center to replace Gagner and RNH only C. Otherwise B.

I doubt his ability a lot but I have started to like his moves. Anyway if we don't make top 5 in our division he will get grade ******* and should be fired
find a center like who? Colborne? or someone that we let slip through the waivers?
Or are you talking about Grabovski?
The reports are that Nuge is skating full contact with the team.. Do we really need to go and get a #2C to replace Gagner?
There seems to be a group of fans here who claim that Arcobello had a good game for the Oilers.. if he did then C is not an issue.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 03:19 PM
  #663
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty
 
The Nuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has done decent job. Because he didn't find center to replace Gagner and RNH only C. Otherwise B.

I doubt his ability a lot but I have started to like his moves. Anyway if we don't make top 5 in our division he will get grade ******* and should be fired
There's no guarantee that anyone available would be better than Arcobello (who people are way to harsh on) anyways. If he keeps up his level of play, signing Joensuu alone gets him at least a B grade imo. When was the last time we had a guy who is big, crashes the net, hurts people when he hits, has decent hands, and stands up for teammates?

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:56 PM
  #664
Up the Irons
Registered User
 
Up the Irons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,194
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
It's only one regular season game, but could you tell me why you think Gordon is no better than Horcoff?
from preseason and the first game, I would think he'd be considered an improvement, and at less cost.
I was giving some respect to Horcoff, who is a good player but perhaps mentally drained from all the losing. Gordon may very well be an upgrade; at the very least he hasn't been beaten down and dejected like Horcoff was.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:26 PM
  #665
NeutralZone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
I find it hard to find fault with MacT so far. He's definitely done a lot more than Tambo did. Grebeshkov and MacIntyre were somewhat questionable pickups, but it's not like he traded anything for them or signed them to expensive/long contracts.

Other than those two, I don't think you can fault him for any of the people he has signed or the trades he has made. Belov and Joensuu seem to be great finds. Gordon and Ference were established, functional FA signings that filled obvious holes. The Perron trade so far seems like a steal. I like the Gagner and RNH contracts.

The only thing that's left is to fault him for what he hasn't done. Center depth is a little thin, but it's pretty hard to lose your top 2 centers and not have it impact the team in a big way. He didn't make any blockbuster type trades, but I think that was the right move. Lock them in long term and let the kids develop rather than trying to fast track the rebuild by trading for established stars that are overpaid and probably won't want to stay.

NeutralZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 07:44 PM
  #666
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broilers View Post
He has done decent job. Because he didn't find center to replace Gagner and RNH only C. Otherwise B.

I doubt his ability a lot but I have started to like his moves. Anyway if we don't make top 5 in our division he will get grade ******* and should be fired
Fired after one season.

Yeah that's a lot of stability. I'm glad you are no where close to the team.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 09:46 PM
  #667
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,445
vCash: 500
I think we should only evaluate MacT on individual transactions for now. Eakins hasn't gotten time to settle the team in yet, not to mention RNH and Gagner are both out atm. You can't really judge how well the team is assembled until it actually plays as a team for a significant period of time. So far:

Anton Belov: A, he's been outstanding for us so far, especially considering this is his first time playing NA hockey, and had to deal with jetlag no less. He's been steady in all 3 zones and looks poised to push someone out of the top 4.
Philip Larsen+7th round pick for Shawn Horcoff: A++++++++++++++++++, he traded Shawn Horcoff without taking back salary, nuff said. Philip Larsen also could be an NHLer yet.
Will Acton: D, I'm sure I've made my opinions on the Will Acton move known already. Astounding that we went after a career AHLer first thing during FA instead of actual players like Matt Hendricks and Maxim LaPierre.
Andrew Ference: A-/B+, not exactly blowing it out of the water in terms of play, but he's done his job and considering he's been named captain, his contributions extend far beyond what we see on the ice.
Boyd Gordon: B, as advertised, he's been a steady presence on our third line and PK and has been great on the dot. And unlike Horcoff, he actually embraces his role. The only issue I have with this is the cap hit, but I'd much rather spend it on Gordon than Scorecoff.
Jesse Joensuu: A+, what a find by our scouts so far. Hopefully for the first time we actually got ourselves a steal instead of a disappointment like POS or Belanger. He's been everything we wanted from Hartikainen/JFJ and more.
Jason LaBarbera: D, there were much better options out there like Khudobin and Greiss, who actually had some upside and could push Dubnyk for the starter's job. But instead we're stuck with Berabera.
David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi: A-/B+, a great pickup, but not perfect. He's definitely an upgrade over Paajarvi as a top 6 forward and is actually a lot tougher than advertised. However, he's not quite the player we needed, as our top 6 is still very small.
Denis Grebeskov: F, Garbagekov has, simply put, played like garbage. Aside from a couple nice passes, he's out of position every second shift and needs a compass in his own zone.
Sam Gagner: B, he signed Gagner to a reasonable contract that doesn't handcuff the team. That being said I think we could've done better, but hey at least we didn't let it go to arbitration or hand him a millstone contract.
Ryan Nugent Hopkins: A, lock up the core long term. No complaints here.
Steve McIntyre: F, Literally worth less than nothing. He does nothing but jam up a contract spot.
Luke Gazdic: B, too early to tell, but the kid was solid in his debut and looks like he'll bring more to the table than Smack can ever hope to.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:53 AM
  #668
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter
 
Gord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,652
vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
I was giving some respect to Horcoff, who is a good player but perhaps mentally drained from all the losing. Gordon may very well be an upgrade; at the very least he hasn't been beaten down and dejected like Horcoff was.
I can respect that. I really do hope Horcoff has a rebound year, and can enjoy hockey again.

I'm just hesitant to grade MacT's changes after only one regular season game.
A few players will play much better, and a few will come down to earth.
I'm also hoping Joensuu has a couple of more strong games as I'd like to jump on the bandwagon with him.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
  #669
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I think we should only evaluate MacT on individual transactions for now. Eakins hasn't gotten time to settle the team in yet, not to mention RNH and Gagner are both out atm. You can't really judge how well the team is assembled until it actually plays as a team for a significant period of time. So far:

Anton Belov: A, he's been outstanding for us so far, especially considering this is his first time playing NA hockey, and had to deal with jetlag no less. He's been steady in all 3 zones and looks poised to push someone out of the top 4.
Philip Larsen+7th round pick for Shawn Horcoff: A++++++++++++++++++, he traded Shawn Horcoff without taking back salary, nuff said. Philip Larsen also could be an NHLer yet.
Will Acton: D, I'm sure I've made my opinions on the Will Acton move known already. Astounding that we went after a career AHLer first thing during FA instead of actual players like Matt Hendricks and Maxim LaPierre.
Andrew Ference: A-/B+, not exactly blowing it out of the water in terms of play, but he's done his job and considering he's been named captain, his contributions extend far beyond what we see on the ice.
Boyd Gordon: B, as advertised, he's been a steady presence on our third line and PK and has been great on the dot. And unlike Horcoff, he actually embraces his role. The only issue I have with this is the cap hit, but I'd much rather spend it on Gordon than Scorecoff.
Jesse Joensuu: A+, what a find by our scouts so far. Hopefully for the first time we actually got ourselves a steal instead of a disappointment like POS or Belanger. He's been everything we wanted from Hartikainen/JFJ and more.
Jason LaBarbera: D, there were much better options out there like Khudobin and Greiss, who actually had some upside and could push Dubnyk for the starter's job. But instead we're stuck with Berabera.
David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi: A-/B+, a great pickup, but not perfect. He's definitely an upgrade over Paajarvi as a top 6 forward and is actually a lot tougher than advertised. However, he's not quite the player we needed, as our top 6 is still very small.
Denis Grebeskov: F, Garbagekov has, simply put, played like garbage. Aside from a couple nice passes, he's out of position every second shift and needs a compass in his own zone.
Sam Gagner: B, he signed Gagner to a reasonable contract that doesn't handcuff the team. That being said I think we could've done better, but hey at least we didn't let it go to arbitration or hand him a millstone contract.
Ryan Nugent Hopkins: A, lock up the core long term. No complaints here.
Steve McIntyre: F, Literally worth less than nothing. He does nothing but jam up a contract spot.
Luke Gazdic: B, too early to tell, but the kid was solid in his debut and looks like he'll bring more to the table than Smack can ever hope to.
So pretty much all the impact 'moves' have been a success... Failing grade on backup goalie, #8 Dman and #15 forward. I will take that anyday.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:39 AM
  #670
skorf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
So pretty much all the impact 'moves' have been a success... Failing grade on backup goalie, #8 Dman and #15 forward. I will take that anyday.
When he signed Grebs, MacT made it sound like he was going to be a bottom pairing D. So he's our 7th/8th D now... that's a fail.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
  #671
skorf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I think we should only evaluate MacT on individual transactions for now. Eakins hasn't gotten time to settle the team in yet, not to mention RNH and Gagner are both out atm. You can't really judge how well the team is assembled until it actually plays as a team for a significant period of time. So far:

Anton Belov: A, he's been outstanding for us so far, especially considering this is his first time playing NA hockey, and had to deal with jetlag no less. He's been steady in all 3 zones and looks poised to push someone out of the top 4.
Philip Larsen+7th round pick for Shawn Horcoff: A++++++++++++++++++, he traded Shawn Horcoff without taking back salary, nuff said. Philip Larsen also could be an NHLer yet.
Will Acton: D, I'm sure I've made my opinions on the Will Acton move known already. Astounding that we went after a career AHLer first thing during FA instead of actual players like Matt Hendricks and Maxim LaPierre.
Andrew Ference: A-/B+, not exactly blowing it out of the water in terms of play, but he's done his job and considering he's been named captain, his contributions extend far beyond what we see on the ice.
Boyd Gordon: B, as advertised, he's been a steady presence on our third line and PK and has been great on the dot. And unlike Horcoff, he actually embraces his role. The only issue I have with this is the cap hit, but I'd much rather spend it on Gordon than Scorecoff.
Jesse Joensuu: A+, what a find by our scouts so far. Hopefully for the first time we actually got ourselves a steal instead of a disappointment like POS or Belanger. He's been everything we wanted from Hartikainen/JFJ and more.
Jason LaBarbera: D, there were much better options out there like Khudobin and Greiss, who actually had some upside and could push Dubnyk for the starter's job. But instead we're stuck with Berabera.
David Perron for Magnus Paajarvi: A-/B+, a great pickup, but not perfect. He's definitely an upgrade over Paajarvi as a top 6 forward and is actually a lot tougher than advertised. However, he's not quite the player we needed, as our top 6 is still very small.
Denis Grebeskov: F, Garbagekov has, simply put, played like garbage. Aside from a couple nice passes, he's out of position every second shift and needs a compass in his own zone.
Sam Gagner: B, he signed Gagner to a reasonable contract that doesn't handcuff the team. That being said I think we could've done better, but hey at least we didn't let it go to arbitration or hand him a millstone contract.
Ryan Nugent Hopkins: A, lock up the core long term. No complaints here.
Steve McIntyre: F, Literally worth less than nothing. He does nothing but jam up a contract spot.
Luke Gazdic: B, too early to tell, but the kid was solid in his debut and looks like he'll bring more to the table than Smack can ever hope to.
No grades for resigning Jones?
Or signing Hamilton?
How about bringing back Omark?

All 3 had a solid chance to make the team going into camp. Just because they aren't on their team because of their play, doesn't mean they shouldn't get a grade.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
  #672
T-Funk
Registered User
 
T-Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 9,025
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
When he signed Grebs, MacT made it sound like he was going to be a bottom pairing D. So he's our 7th/8th D now... that's a fail.
He signed grebs with the intent of creating competition in camp for the bottom spot. The only risk to the signing is taking up a contract that we probably wouldn't use anyways. We don't even know if Grebs was going to turn it around and be a solid bottom guy because he is injured. I hate Grebs btw.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:56 PM
  #673
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins
 
Trafalgar Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
No grades for resigning Jones?
Or signing Hamilton?
How about bringing back Omark?

All 3 had a solid chance to make the team going into camp. Just because they aren't on their team because of their play, doesn't mean they shouldn't get a grade.
Well Hamilton and Omark (and Bachman) were given 2-way deals and pretty much signed to be AHLers, any NHL games from them is considered a bonus. I don't really consider them to be "roster transactions".

Ryan Jones: C, when he puts in the effort, he's still an effective NHLer. However, he had a spot and he lost it because he thought he was a lock for a roster spot. He did show some chemistry with Gordon in the first preseason game though, so I think he could still bounce back as a mid-season callup.

Waiving Eager instead of Ryan Smyth: F---------------------------------, Ryan Smyth is by far and away the most useless player on the roster and hurts the team just by being on it. Not only makes everyone around him play worse, he also takes away a spot in the top 6 from players with actual talent like Yakupov, and a roster spot away from a kid that clearly earned a spot based on performance in Pitlick. Eager isn't a good player by any means, but at least he brings physicality and can contribute in a meaningful way when he wants to. There are only 3 things Ryan Smyth deserves in order: retirement, waivers, pressbox.

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:56 PM
  #674
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
No grades for resigning Jones?
Or signing Hamilton?
How about bringing back Omark?

All 3 had a solid chance to make the team going into camp. Just because they aren't on their team because of their play, doesn't mean they shouldn't get a grade.
These were signed as depth players just so there is competition for roster spot. Never once MacT claimed that these guys have a spot locked up..
Joensuu is the only one with multi year contract. So I guess they were sur about him. Rest including Belov were here fighting for a bottom pairing \ 4th line spot.

Hamilton and Omark are great signings for OKC. Both were given a fair chance here and both sent down to help the farm club. Jones was also given a fair chance.. Better to sign him and give fair chance than to have them become GlenX\Hejda and come back to haunt u.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:57 PM
  #675
manningite
Registered User
 
manningite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Victoria
Posts: 635
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
Luke Gazdic: B, too early to tell, but the kid was solid in his debut and looks like he'll bring more to the table than Smack can ever hope to.
If it's too early to tell then I don't think there should be a letter grade assigned. Let's wait a couple games and then make a decision.

unrelated note - Signing SMac and then a few days later signing Gazdic might also be a perfect example of why it is best we didn't rush or put too much money into signing any old unwanted veteran NHL center.

MacT grabbed Smac in a flurry because he thought we needed protection from dirty teams... Then a few days later a less frightening but more skilled player came along and now he had wasted a contract spot.

If our centers are coming back as soon as we all hope and we blow our last contract spot on someone we won't be using, then we have no safety net in the event we desperately need to sign a position during the season or down the stretch.

manningite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.