HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Lavi gets canned?
His Christmas gift this year will be a pink slip 63 50.81%
He'll make it to the end of the season and then be fired 21 16.94%
He will continue for the duration of his contract extension 16 12.90%
Never..it's always somebody else's fault (goalie, players etc.) 8 6.45%
Other (post in thread) 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-03-2013, 11:39 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Surprised this hasn't been reported in this thread:

Dreger on TSN's insider trading tonight reported Laviolette is on the hot seat and said it may be as few as 10 games before he's fired if the Flyers don't start winning. Mentioned Berube as a potential replacement.

The video is on TSN's website (might not work outside of Canada though).
Thanks for the info. I really don't think they are basing it off anything other then logic. Team has struggled/underachieved under Lavi for a while know, it's only logical he'd be replaced if they struggle early. Thing is logic doesn't always seem to apply to Homer. So this really doesn't mean anything more then any of our opinions IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
If the Flyers are under .500 at the end of October Lavi is gone. I do, however, expect them to be over .500 despite what most on here seem to think. The team will get it together and start scoring more goals, the defense doesn't look as bad as I expected, and Mason looked good last night so hopefully he can continue to improve.
I think they'll be at about .500 or just above but that's not good enough. Flyers shouldn't be wasting prime yrs of G. Kimmo, Streit and Vinny are only getting older. This team needs to at least be a playoff team now and .500 or just above isn't good enough especially considering how the schedule breaks down for the Flyers in October.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:57 PM
StandingCow

The sooner the better for the new coach, it takes a while to adjust to a new system.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Thanks for the info. I really don't think they are basing it off anything other then logic.
Here's what Dreger said:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433379

Is head coach Peter Laviolette on the hot seat in Philadelphia?

Dreger - Winning cures all but the Flyers did not play well in the preseason and it drags back to the postseason, where things did not bode well for the Flyers. There is a sense of fear of impending doom for some around the organization and without question Laviolette is in trouble. Some believe that if things don't turn around for the Flyers organization and they don't start winning at the 10-15 game mark that Laviolette will be replaced. And you could perhaps look higher up the food chain too, where you find general manager Paul Holmgren and Ron Hextall. Craig Berube's name has been thrown around as a potential replacement, so he's clearly in the system.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I want to strangle Holmgren and Snider for subjecting the fans to this constant BS. It was painfully obvious this guy needed to go at the end of last season. Heck the dude should have been ousted after the NJ debacle.

Once again Holmgren has to be reactive and fix his own freakin mistake...

BTW .500 hockey is not going to cut it either so Lavi needs to go ASAP b/c it is likely that is the best we'll get out of him. I have seen nothing to date to suggest his system will succeed against hard forechecking and defensive teams...and yes it goes back to last season and carried over into the preseason and already the 1st game of the regular season..

Old
10-04-2013, 12:25 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Here's what Dreger said:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=433379

Is head coach Peter Laviolette on the hot seat in Philadelphia?

Dreger - Winning cures all but the Flyers did not play well in the preseason and it drags back to the postseason, where things did not bode well for the Flyers. There is a sense of fear of impending doom for some around the organization and without question Laviolette is in trouble. Some believe that if things don't turn around for the Flyers organization and they don't start winning at the 10-15 game mark that Laviolette will be replaced. And you could perhaps look higher up the food chain too, where you find general manager Paul Holmgren and Ron Hextall. Craig Berube's name has been thrown around as a potential replacement, so he's clearly in the system.
Thanks, I looked briefly for the video but couldn't find it.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I think if they wanna fire him they should give him a real goalie first. They traded the only decent goalie he's had since he's been here so they could overpay the space cadet.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:13 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Holmgren needs to be held accountable as well if heads to roll.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:43 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
I think if they wanna fire him they should give him a real goalie first. They traded the only decent goalie he's had since he's been here so they could overpay the space cadet.
I don't agree with that statement at all... we have had a few goalies now (Bryz included) that did badly here but did fine on other teams. Again, it is our system that is at fault.

Old
10-04-2013, 08:53 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
If the Flyers are under .500 at the end of October Lavi is gone. I do, however, expect them to be over .500 despite what most on here seem to think. The team will get it together and start scoring more goals, the defense doesn't look as bad as I expected, and Mason looked good last night so hopefully he can continue to improve.
I only see a few games on the October schedule where the Flyers would be favored.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:06 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Homer has done nothing but improve the team.

We needed a big body D, we got Grossman and Morin.

We needed a better G, we gave the BUM a chance; then went and got a young kid and a vet.

Not sure how anybody can fault Homer for anything but abusing cap space with the occasional crappy signing.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
And they traded Bob because Lavy totally misused him in the playoffs, giving him one start, then putting him in the press box so he could bring Leighton in. Lavy can look right in the mirror for whose fault that was.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:23 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
If they miss the playoffs again, I think he'll be replaced by Hextall.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:33 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This reminds me of the beginning of the end for Stevens when he was head coach. Hopefully this is a good omen that Laviolette is on the way out. Hopefully it also means that Holmgren doesn't do something stupid like trade away youth or fire Laviolette and replace him with someone like Ron Wilson.......
How bout this...

Remember when Stevens had to bring in a tutor shooter!!!.....

Quote:
One area where Laviolette would like to see his team bear down a little more is in getting shot attempts on the net. Missed shots were an issue in practice and during the preseason, and also carried over into opening night.

"Even at practice here, we're firing Scud missiles from the slot or coming off the rush, and they're smashing off the glass," said Laviolette. "I think if we can put it between the red bars somewhere, not only will it be a chance for it to go in the net, but there might be a second or third opportunity that follows."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...siles/45/54513

Old
10-04-2013, 10:37 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
How bout this...

Remember when Stevens had to bring in a tutor shooter!!!.....
Of all the things to be legitimately mad about, what's wrong this? They did miss the net a lot.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:44 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Of all the things to be legitimately mad about, what's wrong this? They did miss the net a lot.
I'm just pointing out how it all sounds ominously similar to when Stevens was here and the team was struggling with basics...

Old
10-04-2013, 10:45 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

BTW it's more a reflection on the team than on the coach ..although his job is to get them to bear down and be more patient and disciplined with the puck...like Jeff Carter

Old
10-04-2013, 10:51 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
I'm just pointing out how it all sounds ominously similar to when Stevens was here and the team was struggling with basics...
Gotcha. Then yes, that's where we're at right now. Quite sad.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

We needed a better G, we gave the BUM a chance; then went and got a young kid and a vet.

Not sure how anybody can fault Homer for anything but abusing cap space with the occasional crappy signing.
yea thats pretty much how i see it.

sure hes had a few ??? signings, but the teams overall performance is on Lavi's shoulders.. after all thats what coachs are responsible for.

if Lavi and his crappy system wont work here, then it time to ship him out and bring in someone and their system in.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:26 AM
Curufinwe

The things that really annoys me is when the players talk about how they need to bear down and give more effort like that is going to fix the fundamental flaws in the system Laviolette has them playing. It doesn't matter how hard the three forwards try and forecheck if the other team can easily pass the puck past them for an odd man rush the other way.

When your team's system makes it difficult to enter the other team's zone with the puck, and very easy for them to get the puck in your own zone no amount of effort can compensate. Teams like the Devils clog the neutral zone against us while we offer no real resistance in that area.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:30 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
The things that really annoys me is when the players talk about how they need to bear down and give more effort like that is going to fix the fundamental flaws in the system Laviolette has them playing. It doesn't matter how hard the three forwards try and forecheck if the other team can easily pass the puck past them for an odd man rush the other way.

When your team's system makes it difficult to enter the other team's zone with the puck, and very easy for them to get the puck in your own zone no amount of effort can compensate. Teams like the Devils clog the neutral zone against us while we offer no real resistance in that area.
Sometimes though the players don't have the right skills or the players don't complement the system or each other. It's a host of things and yeah it's the coach's job to get it all pieced together but the GM also plays a part so I'm not sure why some people are giving Holmgren a pass..again.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:35 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Moved this from the Gil thread...

Quote:
It will be a partial answer.....also depends on his replacement but yeah I see other roster issues that need to be addressed and a new coach can only do so much but if this team is underachieving and playing mediocre .500 hockey or worse Lavi is definitely gone whether people like it or not...

Flyers can't afford to be mediocre in this conference and league ..I mean Holmgren is already on record in the media saying he is concerned making the playoffs will be really tough this year and they can't afford slow starts or being mediocre..
Yea I can definitely see him getting fired if they are stinking up the joint this month. I personally don't think they will stink it up as much as would be necessary to have Lavy fired, but if they do I think he's gone. I have confidence in this team...at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
God no! Gretzky is not a good coach ask any Phoenix fan. He rushed every young player they had during his tenure there most of them were never able to recover.
That was only his first stint as a coach. Plus I just am in love with Gretzky. Ever hear that Goldfinger song?

Old
10-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Curufinwe

If they miss the playoffs Holmgren should definitely be fired.

I think he did his best to replace Pronger with a #1 defensman who could possibly make Laviolette's high risk system work. But when he coudln't get Suter or Weber and the Flyers fell apart in the shortened season he should have realized they needed to go in another direction. The Flyers D-core is no worse than the guys NJ had on the blue line when they went to the Finals in 2012. But they are not good enough to consistently make the long breakout passes Laviolette's system requires due to the big gap between the forwards and D, nor are they good enough to defend against all the odd man rushes that Laviolette's system enables.

Old
10-04-2013, 11:47 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That was only his first stint as a coach. Plus I just am in love with Gretzky. Ever hear that Goldfinger song?
It was bad enough that he never received another offer for a coaching job again. He finished 4th or 5th in the pacific in his four years there.

Great player but horrible coach.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:03 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
If they miss the playoffs Holmgren should definitely be fired.

I think he did his best to replace Pronger with a #1 defensman who could possibly make Laviolette's high risk system work. But when he coudln't get Suter or Weber and the Flyers fell apart in the shortened season he should have realized they needed to go in another direction. The Flyers D-core is no worse than the guys NJ had on the blue line when they went to the Finals in 2012. But they are not good enough to consistently make the long breakout passes Laviolette's system requires due to the big gap between the forwards and D, nor are they good enough to defend against all the odd man rushes that Laviolette's system enables.
I could see Homer getting canned if they miss the playoffs this season. I think the writing is on the wall for that to go down (Hextall coming in). My tears on that day will be worse than when I said goodbye to Michael Leighton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It was bad enough that he never received another offer for a coaching job again. He finished 4th or 5th in the pacific in his four years there.

Great player but horrible coach.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:17 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post

this team has gone backwards since they went to the Cup Final. This has been a organizational failure. And that includes Holmgren. Who will continue to get a free pass in this town just because he was a former player then a coach.
occasional crappy signing? lirl

Closed Thread