HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill signed to a one-year contract worth $700,000 (Oct. 1)

Old
10-04-2013, 03:52 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 500
Both Laughton and Crosby have two arms and two legs... so there is that...

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:01 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Gill an ex-Canadian (and loved?) so he plays Saturday??

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:40 AM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Gill an ex-Canadian (and loved?) so he plays Saturday??
Sure why not...will get Lavi fired sooner

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:55 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Sure why not...will get Lavi fired sooner
So it was Bryz last season and now it is Lavi> OK..........

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:15 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I guess only one person can be to blame per season in a team game?

Lavi was to blame last yr too. Many, including myself, wanted him gone in the offseason.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
A lot of people have wanted Lavi gone for a long time. I wanted him fired over the week long break back in March.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
A lot of people have wanted Lavi gone for a long time. I wanted him fired over the week long break back in March.
Yup...I wanted BOTH him and Bryz gone and all distractions and doubts gotten rid of. Lavi has now replaced Bryz as a distraction with Vegas even calling for his head and the rest of the media picking up on it. It's not without merit.....and it was what I feared.

Old
10-04-2013, 10:07 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Eh, I don't think switching out Lavi is the real answer. I am not opposed to it by any means. I just don't think it will really do much.

I will say this though, and I know it is unlikely, but if he is canned, I want to see Wayne Gretzky behind the bench. I know he didn't fair too well in Phoenix, but I still would love to see it.

In reality though, I wonder if they would go to an outside candidate or promote a Berube-type guy? It's a shame he wasn't fired in the offseason, there were a couple guys I would have liked to see here (Torts or Vingueleleienetne).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:13 AM
FreshPerspective
Hextall is a deity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Eh, I don't think switching out Lavi is the real answer. I am not opposed to it by any means. I just don't think it will really do much.

I will say this though, and I know it is unlikely, but if he is canned, I want to see Wayne Gretzky behind the bench. I know he didn't fair too well in Phoenix, but I still would love to see it.

In reality though, I wonder if they would go to an outside candidate or promote a Berube-type guy? It's a shame he wasn't fired in the offseason, there were a couple guys I would have liked to see here (Torts or Vingueleleienetne).
It will be a partial answer.....also depends on his replacement but yeah I see other roster issues that need to be addressed and a new coach can only do so much but if this team is underachieving and playing mediocre .500 hockey or worse Lavi is definitely gone whether people like it or not...

Flyers can't afford to be mediocre in this conference and league ..I mean Holmgren is already on record in the media saying he is concerned making the playoffs will be really tough this year and they can't afford slow starts or being mediocre..

Old
10-04-2013, 10:13 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post

God no! Gretzky is not a good coach ask any Phoenix fan. He rushed every young player they had during his tenure there most of them were never able to recover.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Curufinwe

Even with a good coach this Flyers squad has enough question marks in goal and on defense to make them a bubble team. But persevering with this over aggressive system that has no hope of being successful in the playoffs is mismanagement on Holmgren's part.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Even with a good coach this Flyers squad has enough question marks in goal and on defense to make them a bubble team. But persevering with this over aggressive system that has no hope of being successful in the playoffs is mismanagement on Holmgren's part.
Exactly. This a pretty flawed roster. Would a coaching change help? I dont know.
Say Lavi gets off to a 2-8 start and the hf boards rejoice as Lavi is fired.
Bring in a new guy with a new philosophy and you think its going to change overnight? That has the potential to be the season that shall not be named part II

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Garbage Goal

This Flyers roster isn't that bad on paper. It's offensive weapons are probably better then any other team on paper with at least six guys that are likely 20 G+ and 50 P+ players and two excellent developing youths in Schenn and Couturier beyond that. If Talbot were bumped off the third line and we didn't have two goons in Rosehill and Newbury on the 4th line it'd look a hell of a lot better.

Our D is a little unbalanced but it's also fine on paper if we could just grow the balls to dump Meszaros and his cap hit and put Gus in his place. Streit and Timonen bring the offensive production and everyone else is pretty damn solid defensively and in other aspects of the game (like with Schenn and his hit count or Grossmann and his blocking ability). Could still use a clear-cut number one but Timonen is still good enough to hold the charge there like he was in the SCF run. Could use a little bit more puck movement too, but it's hard to get it all perfect.

Our goaltending is more of a wait-and-see situation, but Emery has proven in his stint with Chicago (that excellent record and numbers) and his short stint here when he was healthy that he can play well enough to be a 1B type of goalie that can get wins for a good enough team. Mason is Mason. Guy with a lot of talent and rebound potential that's already been playing better then he has with Columbus with us.

It's really not a bad team on paper. Just stupid lineup decisions (see: Newbury, Rosehill, Gill, Talbot, Meszaros mainly) and, as many have noted, a complete mismatch between system and roster personnel as well as a discord between coach and players. On paper our team has a better roster then the vast majority of the league and our offense should be elite.

Also, Gretzky as coach? I can't think of a worse idea to be honest. The guy was god awful in Phoenix to the point where he was one of the worst coaches I've ever seen. The difference between a Gretzky-coached Phoenix team and a Phoenix team coached by a very great coach (Tippett) is night and day.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:46 AM
GoneFullHextall
rustling jimmies

I think thats what I was trying to get at GG.
It is a pretty top heavy up front. How much offense are we going to get out of the bottom 6 this year?
on the backend I still dont have any faith in this group at all for various reasons. only guy I really trust is Timonen and he may have nothing left in the tank by March(thanks Olympic Break!)
Mason was the worst goaltender the previous 3 seasons statistically. I hope he turns his career around. I really do. But he will be under a lot more pressure then he was in his 6 game tryout last season.
Emery played behind a great team in Chicago. How often was he asked to do a lot? Dont get me wrong I like the guy and all but anyone who is expecting close to similar numbers he put up in Chicago is kidding themselves.
yes there is a ton of talent on this team. Not going to deny that. Just dont think there is enough depth offensively.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:19 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think thats what I was trying to get at GG.
It is a pretty top heavy up front. How much offense are we going to get out of the bottom 6 this year?
If you're relying on your bottom six for offensive production you're probably in trouble already. If you take out the stupid coaching decisions like Newbury, Talbot, and Rosehill our bottom six is pretty impressive actually.

Quote:
on the backend I still dont have any faith in this group at all for various reasons. only guy I really trust is Timonen and he may have nothing left in the tank by March(thanks Olympic Break!)
Everybody besides Streit and our number six (which is going to be one of Gill/Meszaros/Gus for the rest of the season) is trustworthy defensively. Even Streit brings puck movement and PP production. Just because we have the wrong coach for it and no superstar on the back-end doesn't mean it's a poor group. It has pretty big depth from the one to five spot and overall it's pretty responsible defensively (though it doesn't act like it admittedly).

Quote:
Mason was the worst goaltender the previous 3 seasons statistically. I hope he turns his career around. I really do. But he will be under a lot more pressure then he was in his 6 game tryout last season.
Under a completely different team. It's not new or unknown to the NHL to have a player light it up and have a career renewal under a completely different team or even have the opposite happen. Especially with a position as unpredictable and fickle as goalie. Though I saw some of these examples coming before they happened just look to Fleury (though he never changed teams lol), Smith, Elliott, Halak, Bryzgalov for modern examples in goal.

He has the talent and he's performed much better here then he has in Columbus. Not saying it's impossible he won't go back to the way he was in Columbus but I have no reason to think that's the way he's heading right now.

Quote:
Emery played behind a great team in Chicago. How often was he asked to do a lot? Dont get me wrong I like the guy and all but anyone who is expecting close to similar numbers he put up in Chicago is kidding themselves.
The guy still put up a great save percentage on that team alongside the wins and save percentage is usually the most telling stat for a goalie (though usually none of them are indicative of a lot).

You're missing my point though. We went toe-to-toe with Chicago in the SCF not long ago and our offense as well as goaltending is much better then it was back then. Only thing we're really missing from those days is Pronger. I'm saying this team is an elite offensive team on paper and a great team overall on paper it just doesn't play like it. At this point in time it seems like Laviolette is the biggest reason for that. So, if we change coaches and the new one makes the team play up to their talent level, I have no reason to believe Emery would be considerably worse then he was in Chicago really.

Quote:
yes there is a ton of talent on this team. Not going to deny that. Just dont think there is enough depth offensively.
Offensively? That's the one area we're perfect at. How many teams have the offense we do?

Giroux - 90 P, 20 to 25 G talent thus far.

Hartnell - God knows with him, but he has 30 G, 60 P talent.

Voracek - Again, we'll see with him but he has 30 G, PPG talent.

Read - 25'ish G, 55'ish P talent.

Schenn - Developing guy but already at least a .5 PPG talent.

Couturier - Hasn't established anything offensively but he has the talent.

Lecavalier - Not sure what he's been like with his goal scoring historically, but he's a 60 to 70 P talent.

Simmonds - 30 G, 60 P talent.

Timonen/Streit - 40 to 50 P D talent.

How many guys can boast that kind of offensive threat? It's not like our depth players are trash either we just have poor lineup decisions being made otherwise our depth would be fine. We have at least one PPG elite talent (possibly two PPG guys) as well as five or six players that have the capability and history to put up 25+ goals.

Problem is nobody on our team is playing up to their capabilities. At least as a whole they aren't.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote