HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anthony Stolarz

Old
09-24-2013, 01:27 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Oh, I don't think that he should sniff the NHL for a minimum of two seasons. Stolarz is a legitimate blue chip prospect, but there's still lot of work he needs to do in refining his game. Give him another season of the OHL and a full season of the AHL and re-evaluate from there. Like I said, the Flyers are probably going to follow the Corey Schneider development path with Stolarz and that makes the most sense.
Isn't that exactly what I said?

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Prongo
Beer

So far to start the year he is 3-0 with a 1.67 GAA and a Save % of .953. Not bad numbers to begin the year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Hiesenberg

Any chance he's in the AHL next year?

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:18 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Any chance he's in the AHL next year?
I would say so. He'll be 20 in a few months so age won't be an issue.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:38 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I would say so. He'll be 20 in a few months so age won't be an issue.
I'm all about taking time with prospects, especially goalies. I would not have an issue if Stolie played in the AHL until he was 23 or 24. A guy coming into the NHL with three or four years of pro hockey under his belt is a pretty solid start.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm all about taking time with prospects, especially goalies. I would not have an issue if Stolie played in the AHL until he was 23 or 24. A guy coming into the NHL with three or four years of pro hockey under his belt is a pretty solid start.
Agree. I just don't know if it'll be automatic or if they may want him to do 1 more year in Juniors

Old
10-04-2013, 10:20 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
I would say minimum two yrs and just go from there. If he's tearing **** up then let him get some NHL action as a back up. If not there's nothing wrong with another yr or two.

I fully expect him to be the back up for the Flyers a couple yrs before taking over the starting job, this if he turns out as we expect. Schneider is just getting a legit chance to start at 27 and Bernier is still splitting time at 25 so starting to back up at 23ish isn't late by any stretch of the imagination.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:37 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

In his preseason game I was impressed with him. I hope he pans out to lessen the Bob sting.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 11:27 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Agree. I just don't know if it'll be automatic or if they may want him to do 1 more year in Juniors
I doubt that Stolarz does an overage season in the OHL. His game has grown by leaps and bounds since going to the OHL and if he puts up even better numbers this year, they'll send him to Adirondack.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

and I hope to God they are patient with Stolarz. Keep him in the AHL for at least 2 full seasons once he gets there. I dont care if Stolarz is the winning Bastien Memorial Award, Keep him there.
But I have zero faith in this organization to do that. Why? Whats ahead of him in this organization? not much. I could fully see Snider pushing Holmgren or Hextall into getting Stolarz up to the Flyers ASAP.
I am holding out hope that Hextall points to how the Kings handled a guy like Bernier who had a pedigree much better then Stolarz has right now.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
and I hope to God they are patient with Stolarz. Keep him in the AHL for at least 2 full seasons once he gets there. I dont care if Stolarz is the winning Bastien Memorial Award, Keep him there.
But I have zero faith in this organization to do that. Why? Whats ahead of him in this organization? not much. I could fully see Snider pushing Holmgren or Hextall into getting Stolarz up to the Flyers ASAP.
I am holding out hope that Hextall points to how the Kings handled a guy like Bernier who had a pedigree much better then Stolarz has right now.
Well, I think the only reason to "rush" Stolie would be if he were lighting it up as you say. I don't see the Flyers calling him up if he isn't playing well. If he's killing it, that is a different story. In that case, I don't think it would be rushing him. I am all for him staying in the A until he is 23-24 years old, but if he shows he can play I have no problem with him playing. I don't think it is rushing the kid if he is winning the Bastien Memorial (which I assume is the AHl equivalent of the Vezina).

If he is just playing well and winning games in ADK, then leave him there for a while. Let him get his time in. But if he is dominating at the AHL level I have no problem with him getting the callup.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:53 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Well, I think the only reason to "rush" Stolie would be if he were lighting it up as you say. I don't see the Flyers calling him up if he isn't playing well. If he's killing it, that is a different story. In that case, I don't think it would be rushing him. I am all for him staying in the A until he is 23-24 years old, but if he shows he can play I have no problem with him playing. I don't think it is rushing the kid if he is winning the Bastien Memorial (which I assume is the AHl equivalent of the Vezina).

If he is just playing well and winning games in ADK, then leave him there for a while. Let him get his time in. But if he is dominating at the AHL level I have no problem with him getting the callup.
there is a rather huge difference between the AHL and NHL. If he is playing well down there and they want to give him a look then fine. To me I would prefer they bite the bullet and leave him in the AHL once he gets there for 2 seasons. He is going to need time to adjust to the pro game. Especially in the most important position in the sport. Yes the Bastien Memorial is for the best goaltender in the AHL.
Jonathan Bernier and Cory Schneider won the award in recent memory.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:01 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Gotta give management credit on this pick. This is a out of nowhere goalie that was drafted out of the NAHL.... NAHL. To think he would grow like this is crazy. Am glad he chose the OHL over NCAA though. I do think that would have killed alot of his development.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:03 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
there is a rather huge difference between the AHL and NHL. If he is playing well down there and they want to give him a look then fine. To me I would prefer they bite the bullet and leave him in the AHL once he gets there for 2 seasons. He is going to need time to adjust to the pro game. Especially in the most important position in the sport. Yes the Bastien Memorial is for the best goaltender in the AHL.
In three consecutive years:

07-08: Michael Leighton
08-09: Cory Schneider
09-10: Jonathan Bernier

10-04-2013, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post

Old
10-04-2013, 01:11 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Gotta give management credit on this pick. This is a out of nowhere goalie that was drafted out of the NAHL.... NAHL. To think he would grow like this is crazy. Am glad he chose the OHL over NCAA though. I do think that would have killed alot of his development.
yeah I gotta agree with this. Sure some goalies have come out of college have turned out pretty good. Quick, Schneider for example. I think in this case he made the right decision. He went to a good junior program with by all accounts an excellent goaltending coach. He is going to get to play a lot more games which will be good for his development.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:20 PM
MP92

Quote:

I guess that kind of just proves GFH's point.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Obviously there is a big difference between the AHL and NHL, but realistically, the second best metric I would say in terms of performance at the NHL level is performance in the AHL. It doesn't always pan out (see Leighton, Michael), but if he is dominating the AHL, there is nothing wrong with getting a callup, regardless of his age. Obviously, it would have to be over a period of time, not just a handful of games.

But he is what, 20 next year? Say he plays well at 20 going on 21 in the AHL. Not great but he starts for ADK and does respectable. Then at 21 going on 22 he dominates the AHL. I have no problem with calling him up at that point. That isn't rushing it. Rushing it would be calling him up when he isn't ready, but it is a strange argument to say that AHL dominance isn't a good bench mark for NHL readiness. That doesn't mean he'll dominate the NHL, but I don't know how you could argue he wouldn't be ready for the NHL at that point (other than just saying that he isn't ready).

Old
10-04-2013, 01:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

One of these guys is not like the others. One of these guys just doesn't belong....lol

BobbyClarkeFan16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:57 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Obviously there is a big difference between the AHL and NHL, but realistically, the second best metric I would say in terms of performance at the NHL level is performance in the AHL. It doesn't always pan out (see Leighton, Michael), but if he is dominating the AHL, there is nothing wrong with getting a callup, regardless of his age. Obviously, it would have to be over a period of time, not just a handful of games.

But he is what, 20 next year? Say he plays well at 20 going on 21 in the AHL. Not great but he starts for ADK and does respectable. Then at 21 going on 22 he dominates the AHL. I have no problem with calling him up at that point. That isn't rushing it. Rushing it would be calling him up when he isn't ready, but it is a strange argument to say that AHL dominance isn't a good bench mark for NHL readiness. That doesn't mean he'll dominate the NHL, but I don't know how you could argue he wouldn't be ready for the NHL at that point (other than just saying that he isn't ready).
The thing I really am afraid of is if next year if he is the AHL(and it sounds like that likely happens) is that if he kills it in the first 2 or 3 months of the AHL and the Flyers get excited and call him up. He struggles and they send him back down and he doesnt regain his confidence.
He is going to have to be ready physically and mentally to play at this level. I do not trust the judgement of this organization when it comes to goaltending. They have not given me a reason to trust them. so I am going to be a bit pessimistic on how they are going to handle Stolarz until they give me a reason that I can trust the judgement of the folks in the organization.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
The thing I really am afraid of is if next year if he is the AHL(and it sounds like that likely happens) is that if he kills it in the first 2 or 3 months of the AHL and the Flyers get excited and call him up. He struggles and they send him back down and he doesnt regain his confidence.
He is going to have to be ready physically and mentally to play at this level. I do not trust the judgement of this organization when it comes to goaltending. They have not given me a reason to trust them. so I am going to be a bit pessimistic on how they are going to handle Stolarz until they give me a reason that I can trust the judgement of the folks in the organization.
Valid point, but there are different voices in the room now.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Flyerss

Hextall should be familiar with this since he had Quick and Bernier

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:57 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
One of these guys is not like the others. One of these guys just doesn't belong....lol
Alternate lyrics: One of these guys can't stop like the others ...

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Well yeah that's all a possibility. I don't want to see that happen either.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:38 AM
tymed

5-0 with 2.20 and .934

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote