HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oct. 3: Scott Laughton back to juniors; Oct. 23: Kris Newbury sent to Phantoms (AHL)

Old
10-04-2013, 08:56 AM
HighOFFHockey

vCash: 500
Per Bill Meltzers Twitter:
"Scott Laughton responded to being sent back to Oshawa exactly how Flyers would hope: 2 goals, 2 assists in his first game. Oshawa won, 7-1."

This kid is gonna be a stud here.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:00 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Because none of them showed anything?
Holmstrom is a 4th liner so him or Newbury getting the call is the same in my book. The others were better in preseason as was Cousins, well McGinn really wasn't but I'd still rather have him up then Newbury.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:00 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
In general, I agree, though it wouldn't be the first time Holmgren (or another GM) was caught with his trousers south of his knees. In this case, the flurry of waivings and other circumstances making a mob of players available stacked the deck against Hall being called up, as the majority of clubs were trimming rosters, not filling them out.
Oh sure. It isn't impossible for a GM to think a guy would clear then have him get claimed. I was just saying that in waiving a player, Adam Hall or otherwise, the GM has a good indication of what is going to happen. The way it turns out may be different from the indication the GM has, but in many situations it isn't like a player is waived without consideration of who will be claimed and who will clear.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:01 AM
Hiesenberg

I agree with Bill, that's what the Flyers want to see. I'm neither here nor there about this move. I think Laughton, while learning a lot here, would've struggled and eventually would've sat on the bench as well. At least in Juniors he plays a lot and top line minutes, keep working on the offense and faceoffs and come in next year with the 3C job (I'm guessing there) to be taken.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:24 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Because none of them showed anything?
Still all better then freaking Newbury or Rosehill.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:26 PM
Tripod

Just so everyone can relax regarding Laughton:

As far as I can see, no forward drafted after him is playing in the NHL this season(according to HockeyDB). So it's not like all these guys drafted after him are playing in the NHL and he is not. Let him dominate and make the WJC. Who knows, maybe he will continue to develop his scoring touch and exceed this "3rd line C" upside he posesses.

Tripod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quite honestly he didnt even look good in the NHL preseason. I'm glad he got sent back.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

As far as I can see, no forward drafted after him is playing in the NHL this season(according to HockeyDB). So it's not like all these guys drafted after him are playing in the NHL and he is not. Let him dominate and make the WJC. Who knows, maybe he will continue to develop his scoring touch and exceed this "3rd line C" upside he posesses.
As long as he's not sitting in the press box I don't care.

But now we have two useless forwards and one semi-useless D on the roster (Newbury, Rosehill, Gill).

Old
10-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Still all better then freaking Newbury or Rosehill.
Newbury might not even play and if he does it'll be 4th line minutes, are those the minutes you want to give to younger forwards you hope to develop? I don't think so, and that's why Laughton was sent back.

Old
10-04-2013, 01:44 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
As long as he's not sitting in the press box I don't care.

But now we have two useless forwards and one semi-useless D on the roster (Newbury, Rosehill, Gill).
Somebody has to be scratched and play the junk minutes.

This is a problem I'm seeing across the board, everybody wants Couturier to have better wingers and play more minutes. Well that means it'll be less minutes for guys like Voracek & Giroux and Simmonds and Read and Vinny.

Same goes for guys like Gill & Mesz & Gus. Coburn/Timonen/Streit/Schenn will be getting the lions share of the minutes.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:23 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post

Even if there were guys after him playing in the NHL, that's a dumb reason to worry. It's not about who gets there first, it's who turns out to be the better player in the long run.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Newbury might not even play and if he does it'll be 4th line minutes, are those the minutes you want to give to younger forwards you hope to develop? I don't think so, and that's why Laughton was sent back.
Just by simple math and logic even if Newbury is a healthy scratch he shouldn't be up here on the basis that he's not an NHL player. Aside from that, again going by simple math and logic, between him and Rosehill one literally has to play now that both are up.

Guys like Holmstrom and McGinn don't have more then 4th line upside and can contribute more so it's not hurting their "development" to play there. Guys like Cousins can play on the third line instead of Talbot who has no use there.

Quote:
Somebody has to be scratched and play the junk minutes.

This is a problem I'm seeing across the board, everybody wants Couturier to have better wingers and play more minutes. Well that means it'll be less minutes for guys like Voracek & Giroux and Simmonds and Read and Vinny.

Same goes for guys like Gill & Mesz & Gus. Coburn/Timonen/Streit/Schenn will be getting the lions share of the minutes.
Okay...? Don't see what that has to do with those three ranging from completely useless to almost completely useless.

Old
10-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Just by simple math and logic even if Newbury is a healthy scratch he shouldn't be up here on the basis that he's not an NHL player. Aside from that, again going by simple math and logic, between him and Rosehill one literally has to play now that both are up.

Guys like Holmstrom and McGinn don't have more then 4th line upside and can contribute more so it's not hurting their "development" to play there. Guys like Cousins can play on the third line instead of Talbot who has no use there.

Okay...? Don't see what that has to do with those three ranging from completely useless to almost completely useless.
It's been 1 god damn game man.

Old
10-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
It's been 1 god damn game man.
1) That has almost nothing to do with what I said there.

2) People keep saying it's been one game as if we're all reacting to just one game yet people keep correcting people like you as to the reality of things. Yet people like you keep acting as if it's only one game we're not happy about.

Old
10-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Hiesenberg

There is a lot of argument against you on "playing 4th line minutes won't hurt a development" And one of the main reasons why guys like Cousins/McGinn/Raffl/Laughton aren't playing with the Flyers right now.

There are a lot of people that think McGinn is a top 6 (or 9) player and really we are going to argue Holmstrom over Newbury, aren't they basically the same guy?

And in regards to Cousins over Talbot? That's your opinion, there has been no proof what so ever that the kid can play NHL minutes. And with a team that has Stanley Cup aspirations, you think they'll go with a 21 year old that is AT BEST a 3rd line player by most regards or a proven veteran?

Old
10-04-2013, 03:59 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
There is a lot of argument against you on "playing 4th line minutes won't hurt a development" And one of the main reasons why guys like Cousins/McGinn/Raffl/Laughton aren't playing with the Flyers right now.
I don't think so. Lots of guys start by playing on the 4th line. Richards turned out great for example.

Quote:
There are a lot of people that think McGinn is a top 6 (or 9) player and really we are going to argue Holmstrom over Newbury, aren't they basically the same guy?
Nobody thinks McGinn has top 6 upside. He's a 4th liner, if everything goes right for him he could be a solid 3rd liner with the skills to fill in higher in a pinch.

Holmstom is a much better pker. He'll fight as well and won't put up points so they are the same in that regard but Holmstrom is better in his own zone. I give the edge to Holmstrom for usefulness at the NHL level. I don't think he's with the team cause he's just coming back from a really bad knee (?) injury. Preseason was the first time he played in a while.

Quote:
And in regards to Cousins over Talbot? That's your opinion, there has been no proof what so ever that the kid can play NHL minutes. And with a team that has Stanley Cup aspirations, you think they'll go with a 21 year old that is AT BEST a 3rd line player by most regards or a proven veteran?
Talbot is a veteran that has proven time and time again that he's not cut out for the anything other then the 4th line. He can play up for a few shifts if needed but he shouldn't be in the top 9 permanently. I completely understand Homer's reasoning in not giving Cousins the shot at that last top 9 spot as he's only got a handful of pro games under him. Cousins is without a doubt the better offensive player though, in other words offensive won't be his primary point of focus in ADK.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. While I would have preferred someone other then Newbury get the call I'm OK with it for now cause I'm fairly confident in saying one of Raffl, Akeson, McGinn, Cousins etc (in other words an alternative to Newbury) will be with the team sooner rather then later.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I don't think so. Lots of guys start by playing on the 4th line. Richards turned out great for example.

Nobody thinks McGinn has top 6 upside. He's a 4th liner, if everything goes right for him he could be a solid 3rd liner with the skills to fill in higher in a pinch.

Holmstom is a much better pker. He'll fight as well and won't put up points so they are the same in that regard but Holmstrom is better in his own zone. I give the edge to Holmstrom for usefulness at the NHL level. I don't think he's with the team cause he's just coming back from a really bad knee (?) injury. Preseason was the first time he played in a while.

Talbot is a veteran that has proven time and time again that he's not cut out for the anything other then the 4th line. He can play up for a few shifts if needed but he shouldn't be in the top 9 permanently. I completely understand Homer's reasoning in not giving Cousins the shot at that last top 9 spot as he's only got a handful of pro games under him. Cousins is without a doubt the better offensive player though, in other words offensive won't be his primary point of focus in ADK.

I'm just playing devil's advocate here. While I would have preferred someone other then Newbury get the call I'm OK with it for now cause I'm fairly confident in saying one of Raffl, Akeson, McGinn, Cousins etc (in other words an alternative to Newbury) will be with the team sooner rather then later.
I agree with the last comment, somebody will be up eventually, I'm not going to lose my **** because they aren't right now.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:24 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
I agree with the last comment, somebody will be up eventually, I'm not going to lose my **** because they aren't right now.
Who said I'm losing my ****?

It's a simple fact that Newbury and Rosehill have proven throughout their NHL careers that they aren't really NHL players and therefore they make our team worse over someone like McGinn or Holmstrom even. In addition, Talbot has no offensive upside and therefore is a waste playing on the third line with a guy like Voracek.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Fearless Leaf*
Playiffs 2013!!!!!

I have high expectations for him, think he can be a future top 6 C who can be used in all situations.

Fearless Leaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:01 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
Who said I'm losing my ****?

It's a simple fact that Newbury and Rosehill have proven throughout their NHL careers that they aren't really NHL players and therefore they make our team worse over someone like McGinn or Holmstrom even. In addition, Talbot has no offensive upside and therefore is a waste playing on the third line with a guy like Voracek.
talbot scored 19 goals two years ago and ill admit it was a fluke but i dont see holmstrom or mcginn getting that lucky. mcginn needs to get the bigger minutes and holmstrom is coming off a career threatening injury. raffl hasnt seen the n american ice to the extent they want him to either. newbury is a placeholder, throwing the guy a few days at the big salary untill someone shows they have the stuff to play. if hes still the guy were looking to come thanksgiving itll be a different story

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
talbot scored 19 goals two years ago and ill admit it was a fluke but i dont see holmstrom or mcginn getting that lucky. mcginn needs to get the bigger minutes and holmstrom is coming off a career threatening injury. raffl hasnt seen the n american ice to the extent they want him to either. newbury is a placeholder, throwing the guy a few days at the big salary untill someone shows they have the stuff to play. if hes still the guy were looking to come thanksgiving itll be a different story
If it was two years ago and you admit it was a complete fluke and you know how he's bringing down the line now (not two years ago) then why are you bringing it up? It's like arguing for the sake of arguing.

I'm aware of the loose and flawed reasoning of why Newbury is up as well as Rosehill. Doesn't change the fact that they're useless and that there's better options.

And why would McGinn need to see big minutes? Most people don't see him as anything more then a bottom six guy.

Old
10-04-2013, 05:15 PM
bennysflyers16

THIS JUST IN:
KRIS NEWBURY WAS VERY SURPRISED WHEN THE TEAM BUS TO MONTREAL TOOK OFF AND BEGAN TO FLY.

This made me laugh, sorry if it is old !!!

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 05:19 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Quite honestly he didnt even look good in the NHL preseason. I'm glad he got sent back.
Yea, you have a point. He got some praise around here and didn't really deserve it. Looked ok but looked a lot better last year in preseason. He needs to be in juniors for now

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:04 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
If it was two years ago and you admit it was a complete fluke and you know how he's bringing down the line now (not two years ago) then why are you bringing it up? It's like arguing for the sake of arguing.

I'm aware of the loose and flawed reasoning of why Newbury is up as well as Rosehill. Doesn't change the fact that they're useless and that there's better options.

And why would McGinn need to see big minutes? Most people don't see him as anything more then a bottom six guy.
because those players your talking about dont have a better chance of doing what talbot has done. mcginn has the two way game that akeson lacks but needs to show offense to compete with him for the 3rd line spot.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:19 PM
MP92

I've said it before on the prospects board and I'll say it again here. I see Laughton having a similar career to that of Jarrett Stoll. That's who he reminds me of anyway. 40 point two way center who does everything well but nothing exceptional. A very good, dependable player. I think that's a realistic expectation for him. If he happens to turn out to be the next Richards or Bergeron, then we can all be pleasantly surprised.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote