HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Trade Rumour update

Old
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
Noonan25

vCash: 500
Immonen can play the 2nd line center, he has bene hot of late....

and he knows how to play in front of the net

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 08:33 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post

and for the eklund flaming.. there are only so many times and ways people can state their hate for eklund
ok. it just seemed like yesterday when you'd get everyone flaming him saying really absurd things like "isn't mentioning him banned on this site?" or "that guy has never posted anything true" i used to stick up for that internet guy but bottom line, i'm glad the board has gotten back to just talking hockey. sorry i even brought it up!

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

considering the source, i dont buy it.

but if we got naslund, wed be a cup contender, no doubts at all.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

Doubt it. I like Naslund, but right now, Vancouver's got him, the Sedins, and Luongo, and they're not contenders themselves...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:03 PM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Brendan Morrison is more likely to be a Ranger than Markus Naslund.

Fedorov is the guy I want to see the Rangers go after.

Kasparaitis/Malik/Rozsival, a mid-level prospect, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Fedorov.

Columbus gets defensive help being that Kaspar could probably use a new start, give them a prospect like Korpikoski or someone on that level, and a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:15 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by inferno272 View Post

really? with our defense? without what we'd have to give up for him? sorry, don't buy the optimism. I'm up for bringing in the real Federov. Not some half bit FedFed that has thankfully disappeared and forgive me for even bringing up his name (spits over shoulders). Fedorov and Shanahan were both on those Detroit Cup teams together.

Old
11-28-2006, 11:43 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

Kasparaitis/Malik/Rozsival, a mid-level prospect, and a 2nd or 3rd round pick for Fedorov.

Columbus gets defensive help being that Kaspar could probably use a new start, give them a prospect like Korpikoski or someone on that level, and a 2nd or a 3rd round pick.
Id rather give up Immonen than Korpikoski. Immonen is 24 and would play for the jackets now. Fedorov would help the PP that is for sure, he can play the point on the pp as well. Id do Malik, Immonen, Lampman and Hossa for Fedorov and Aaron Johnson

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2006, 11:45 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

honestly, i think our problem with our defense is our offense.

this game is a perfect example. whine all you want about how the d gave up those goals, but every single one (i believe) was directly a result of a neutral or offensive zone turnover by a forward that trapped several rangers in their own zone.

that to me is a bigger problem than the D.
i know its weird, and counter intuitive, but thats how i see it, maybe im an idiot, or maybe im seeing something you guys arent, but thats howi see it.

also id like to see us get a bit more mobile in our defense, by getting rid of malik and kaspar. even though kaspar doesnt play, hes useless, lets lose him. pock needs to play, and honestly, so does baranka.

Old
11-28-2006, 11:51 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post

It likely wouldnt even take that much for The CBJ's to dump Feds... his salary is up there, and they're tanking yet again...

Perhaps a Federov/Klesa for Malik, a reasonably decent prospect and a 2nd or 3rd... meh

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2006, 12:31 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post
It likely wouldnt even take that much for The CBJ's to dump Feds... his salary is up there, and they're tanking yet again...

Perhaps a Federov/Klesa for Malik, a reasonably decent prospect and a 2nd or 3rd... meh
jokes aside, Klesla aint going nowhere. Federov was a former Selke winner and a great skater. Remember that Nike commercial where he skates around all those hockey stars, like Jeremy Roenick misses a hip check and there are a bunch of goalies in net. And then while Fedorov is celebrating his goal, Freddie Brathwaite runs him over with a zamboni i love that commercial. Anyways, he can skate and has good defense skills. Good fit IMO.

Old
11-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

actually, i dont think ive seen it, too bad youtube is down, id look it up

Old
11-29-2006, 08:21 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Is Nasland a center?

No..

Do the rangers NEED a left winger?

No...

I don't think Nasland is coming here and whatever the Rangers would consider trading for him could be used to trade for a postion they actually NEED.

I hope we don't get Nasland it would truly be 98-04 all over again..

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 07:01 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
Is Nasland a center?

No..

Do the rangers NEED a left winger?

No...

I don't think Nasland is coming here and whatever the Rangers would consider trading for him could be used to trade for a postion they actually NEED.

I hope we don't get Nasland it would truly be 98-04 all over again..
I agree. He's a great player, but I'm pretty suprised to see so many fans here prepared to part with Prucha/Tyutin/Korpikoski and picks for a 34 year old player. I mean, isn't that what ultimately landed us in a 7 year playoff drought? Draining the cupboard for minimal return?

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:01 AM
Fletch

inferno...

there are a couple holes. Right now, there is a second line centerman hole. There's a hole today, and perhaps in the future, given that Dubi's the real future and he seems to have taken a step back from last season's playoffs, and has been cold since about his second preseason game.

Also, there is a hole, or holes, on defense. One can argue that this team needs an entire top pair - one offenseman (a puck mover), who can also play the PP point, and a defensive defenseman. The question is, where do you start. Acquiring any of those three positions, assuming the price is right, would be deemed as filling a hole.

There are still cap considerations. The Rangers' defense is quite expensive considering what they have. They're expending nearly $6MM on a third pair defenseman and a guy sitting in the press box. Before acquiring anybody, that situation needs to be cleared (and since I'm not a cap expert, I don't know if it can be cleared).

On Immonen being a second line centerman - I've been an outspoken proponent of giving the guy a chance somewhere, but he's not a second line centerman. Maybe you put him between Shanny and Prucha and he holds his own for a few games, but he's not the solution for the playoffs, or the future.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:13 AM
darrenturcotte#8

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
No trade clause, end of story
First off, I don't think this trade will happen but its not bc of his no trade clause.Why wouldn't Nas want to come to NY? He was a Rookie in Pitt w/ Jagr and they played well together when paired. Lundqvist just helped Sweden win a gold medal and is well respected by the Sweds. Van is going in the wrong direction and Nas could win here. He has struggled to score and might want a change.

darrenturcotte#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:32 AM
Fletch

Naslund doesn't even fit...

into this year's team. Nearly 1/2 his points come on the PP - where does he play on that? That, and SoS' opinion, and other issues.

I honestly cannot say which center out there makes a lot of sense. Over the Summer, for me it was Savard, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized that he would come in and replace Nylander (which would've been great, since Nylander would be the #2), but I just don't know if that's something that would've been feasible. Who else is out there that's not a rental and not expensive and that will be better than what the Rangers have now? I dunno. It ain't Naslund though.

Old
11-30-2006, 11:15 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
into this year's team. Nearly 1/2 his points come on the PP - where does he play on that? That, and SoS' opinion, and other issues.

I honestly cannot say which center out there makes a lot of sense. Over the Summer, for me it was Savard, but the more I thought of it, the more I realized that he would come in and replace Nylander (which would've been great, since Nylander would be the #2), but I just don't know if that's something that would've been feasible. Who else is out there that's not a rental and not expensive and that will be better than what the Rangers have now? I dunno. It ain't Naslund though.

Perhaps Comrie? I know people have been mixed about making a move for him.

Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:18 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynical TyranT View Post

It's basically a garbage for garbage deal and Columbus dumping salary, so I'm not exactly sure of how it would happen, to be honest with you.

I just premised my offer upon the Fedorov trade that brought him to Columbus, and tried to knock it down a bit according to the decline in his production.

Edit: Klesla isn't going anywhere, he's still young, and still has potential. Although he isn't going to be the franchise defenseman that some scouts who overhyped him thought that he would be, he's still a top-4 defenseman, and possibly a top-pairing defenseman. Basically, he's on the same plateau as Tyutin, with less offensive upside.

Old
11-30-2006, 11:22 AM
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World

If you ask me, we should have made a move for Jason Arnott.

I know his consistency was a bit questionable, but this is a guy who'd give us that physical 2nd line center who could work on the power play, who isn't exactly a slouch defensively, unlike some other players on this team.

Just imagine him with Shanny and Pruchs...

Old
11-30-2006, 11:23 AM
squishy

Cullen was brought in as a temporary stop-gap on the 2nd line, in the event one of the kids (Immonen) didn't come through. As much as fans say there's a gap at center, I don't see it being one the Rangers intend to try to fill from outside anytime soon. After all they purposely CREATED room at center this summer by dumping Moore.

I find it mystifying how many Rangers fans are calling for this team to return to the days of old, where youth and prospects are traded away for over-the-hill "stars". In the past week or two, I've heard the names Federov, Naslund, and Forsberg all mentioned by Rangers fans as players that are on the block that the Rangers should go after. Have we learned nothing from all those years of futility? Not to mention that each makes near or over $6m, which is more cap space that the team has available. And give me one reason why any team would take one of the high-paid dregs we have on defense in order for us to free up the necessary cap space -- unless they're getting double on their return in picks or prospects. No thanks.

In the era of free agency, it makes less and less sense to trade away the farm to get a big name NOW, unless you're confident you're going to be making a serious run at the cup NOW. And frankly, there are too many gaps needing to be filled on the Rangers for them to seriously threaten this year.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:39 AM
Fletch

Gretz...

offensively and consitency-wise, Arnott may not be that better than Cullen. On the PP, Hall should be able to do just as well as Arnott. Hall did have 10 PP goals last season and should be a natural; Renney chooses to mostly ride one PP, and one style (although perhaps Tuesday's results on the PP may change that, given Hall's two goals).

Shadow - I hear you on Comrie. I just don't know. He's smallish like Savard, but I always thought of Savard as being more skilled, a better playmaker and shooter, and a bit more feisty. This season he's showing he can be a #1 centerman without Kovalchuk or Hossa too.

But honestly, I don't have a real answer. I guess one needs to ask if Comrie's an upgrade over Cullen, and thus would Cullen be incrementally productive on the third line and Betts the fourth. If the answer's yes, then perhaps it makes sense, but then next season you have Nylander, Comrie and Cullen; if Dubinsky turns it on, does he fit or are we playing musical centermen again?

Old
11-30-2006, 11:40 AM
Fletch

Squishy...

we understand how the prior several seasons came about. But at the same time, you always don't stand pat. Things can be done smartly, but at the same time I don't think anybody's looking for a short-term fix.

Old
11-30-2006, 11:52 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Mike Comrie is a group III next summer.He is a rental

Sergei Fedorov has one more season(2007-08)remaining at $6,080,000.His days of being an elite level player were over a long time ago.Even with the 24% rollback,Fedorov is vasty overpriced

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:36 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Mike Comrie is a group III next summer.He is a rental
he's a group II. he'll only be 26.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Fletch

how many years of service does Comrie have? Isn't that part of the new CBA? Rangerboy knows better than me and if he says Group III, he's usually correct, so I'm guessing that's the case.