HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Current Blues team

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 07:12 AM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
Current Blues team

I am not sure which Blues teams is an accurate picture what has been assembled. The one in the Slump or the one playing tight games.

W/ the loss of Jackman for the season, I think Pleau has a month to decide if he is going to cut bait and dump players w/ value (Demitra, Drake) or go after someone to fill the holes. The big problem is now our biggest stregnth is a weakness (D). This team was built to win tight games and not score a lot, but w/ the losses mounting on D, (and I am not talking short term here but season), I don't think it will be possible.

As some have noted, I am in favor of trading Demitra for a top six wing, and a 2 way center, mostly to cut payroll next season. Maybe Demitra for Satan and Zhitnick or O'Niell and Hedican.

The biggest problem we have is that we dont need the extra D man w/ Jackman returning next season. It seems that we are just looking for rentals. I have seen on the trade boards that fans believe that Carney and Modry are available (I believe both would be UFAs). Could they be had for picks and mid-level prospects? What about someone like Bondra (what would Washington want)?

What would you do to get the Blues out of the slump there are in? How do you prepare the team for possible Cap next year? Just some thoughts and questions?

Old
01-14-2004, 09:47 AM
c-carp

I posted a similar question in another thread. I like you am not sure what to expect from the Blues right now. Has the injury Bug hit them so hard that the goals of this team should have changed from being a contender to a team hoping to play spoiler in the playoffs.

If I were LP I would give it a month or so and get a pulse on this team. If they break out of this slump and show signs of being a contender than he would add appropriatly. If they dont the only hole I would try and fill would be a offensive D-man to replace Al next year because I dont think he is coming back and that is a long term need. My first choice would be Gonchar if the Caps will move him.

I think we will have to give it some time to make these decisions though.

Old
01-14-2004, 11:03 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I posted a similar question in another thread. I like you am not sure what to expect from the Blues right now. Has the injury Bug hit them so hard that the goals of this team should have changed from being a contender to a team hoping to play spoiler in the playoffs.

If I were LP I would give it a month or so and get a pulse on this team. If they break out of this slump and show signs of being a contender than he would add appropriatly. If they dont the only hole I would try and fill would be a offensive D-man to replace Al next year because I dont think he is coming back and that is a long term need. My first choice would be Gonchar if the Caps will move him.

I think we will have to give it some time to make these decisions though.
Great minds think alike.

If the Blues cant get out of the slump, I would bounce Demitra for Hamerlik and a high pick or prospect. I also think Backman can fill in for MacInnis (as well as anyone else can that is) next season and I expect him to get increase pp time this year.

At any rate, I wonder if the team feels it now has an excuse to fall out of contention. Maybe we need to start putting people back on IR. When the team was held together by band-aids they were keeping the games close and winning.

BTW, when did Low go on IR? Was he so important to the team that w/o him they go into a slump? That is my stupid thought for the Day.

Old
01-14-2004, 02:50 PM
c-carp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
Great minds think alike.

If the Blues cant get out of the slump, I would bounce Demitra for Hamerlik and a high pick or prospect. I also think Backman can fill in for MacInnis (as well as anyone else can that is) next season and I expect him to get increase pp time this year.

At any rate, I wonder if the team feels it now has an excuse to fall out of contention. Maybe we need to start putting people back on IR. When the team was held together by band-aids they were keeping the games close and winning.

BTW, when did Low go on IR? Was he so important to the team that w/o him they go into a slump? That is my stupid thought for the Day.
I also think it is stupid to go wighout a tough guy in the lineup. Jeremy Yablonski should still be here if McLaren and Low are still hurt. You need that element in the lineup?

Old
01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
Adam West

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
I also think it is stupid to go wighout a tough guy in the lineup. Jeremy Yablonski should still be here if McLaren and Low are still hurt. You need that element in the lineup?
would an offer of murray and mcgillis for demitra even get consideration (both are UFA's at seasons end).

Old
01-14-2004, 05:46 PM
degroat*

Honestly... not even close. The Blues can't trade Demitra for two players that aren't under contract beyond this year. As I said in another thread for the Blues to trade Demitra in the middle of the season, it'll have to add depth to the team. Additionally, it'll have to bring at least one young player to the team.

So... here are a couple counteroffers:

Demitra + Walker for McGillis + Murray + Boyton

or

Demitra for Boyton + Murray

Old
01-14-2004, 05:59 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
It gives me pains to talk about trading demitra. Im the biggest homer in the world when it comes to demitra. It would have to be a pretty great deal for me to be happy. And i dont wan to trade him for anyone who wont be around after this season.

Old
01-14-2004, 09:48 PM
jeff962b
Respect Demitra

Send a message via AIM to jeff962b
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
It gives me pains to talk about trading demitra. Im the biggest homer in the world when it comes to demitra. It would have to be a pretty great deal for me to be happy. And i dont wan to trade him for anyone who wont be around after this season.
You and me both my friend, you and me both. Nothing sounds like a fair offer. I'm sure they are, but I want him in Stl till he hangs em up.

I'm starting a petition lol.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:40 PM
fatnickmo

Just my opinion but this pretty much looks like an AHL team not counting Pronger, Weight, Demitra & KT. I know you can't have team full of superstars but there's way to many grinders on this team. They need to get out of the middle of the road and get the guys to compete or start moving some of these overpaid "superstars" and rebuild. I'm not preaching doom and gloom as I've been a fan for 25 years but I wouldn't mind seeing a real commitmant to youth and moving 2 or 3 of the above would serve as a nice jumpstart.

Last edited by fatnickmo: 01-15-2004 at 06:50 PM.
Old
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
execwrite

I have to admit to riding the roller-coaster about what kind of team this is, but right now the Blues have convinced me this squad won't win anything.

Make trades now to rebuild for the future. Pronger is the anchor - anyone else is available.

The Stanley Cup comes five years away with the young kids now in college and juniors. Any trades made now to get good young players and draft picks are the right way to go.

Old
01-15-2004, 07:59 PM
Sniper
It's learning...

Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite
I have to admit to riding the roller-coaster about what kind of team this is, but right now the Blues have convinced me this squad won't win anything.

Make trades now to rebuild for the future. Pronger is the anchor - anyone else is available.

The Stanley Cup comes five years away with the young kids now in college and juniors. Any trades made now to get good young players and draft picks are the right way to go.
It's amazing how a little slump makes people want to start rebuilding the team from scratch. Patience people. Patience. I know us St. Louis fans have been patient for 24 straight years, but each year is different. Take it one year at a time, especially with this year, because we don't know if there will be a next year.

I say stick with the team we have (maybe make a trade for a D-man or left wing sniper for Weight) and see how the CBA plays out. Since we only have a handful of people signed for next year (hopefully Prongs will join the handful ) that gives us a lot of flexability next year to make the corrections we need.

Until then though, this team has enough talent to break their slump and turn things around. Every team at some point in the year goes through a losing streak and it infinatly better to lose now and win at the end of the season than vice-versa.

So chill out people, take a smoke break, and remember that things could be a LOT worse...

Old
01-15-2004, 09:57 PM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
It's amazing how a little slump makes people want to start rebuilding the team from scratch. Patience people. Patience. I know us St. Louis fans have been patient for 24 straight years, but each year is different. Take it one year at a time, especially with this year, because we don't know if there will be a next year.

I say stick with the team we have (maybe make a trade for a D-man or left wing sniper for Weight) and see how the CBA plays out. Since we only have a handful of people signed for next year (hopefully Prongs will join the handful ) that gives us a lot of flexability next year to make the corrections we need.

Until then though, this team has enough talent to break their slump and turn things around. Every team at some point in the year goes through a losing streak and it infinatly better to lose now and win at the end of the season than vice-versa.

So chill out people, take a smoke break, and remember that things could be a LOT worse...

Old
01-16-2004, 08:47 AM
King of Stankonia

Send a message via Yahoo to King of Stankonia
Quote:
Originally Posted by execwrite

This may be the biggest insult you've ever had execwrite, but you're starting to sound like the masses of Leafs fans whenever their team slumps.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:28 AM
TimothyR

That is execwrite's opinion and I respect it as I respect the everybody else's opinion. I am in the middle. Changes need to happen but I wouldn't sell the farm. Sitting at last night's game against Columbus showed me just how bad the Blues team is reeling right now. I can see why Columbus was 29th in the league. Turnovers in their end, missed passes, general disorganization, etc., and the Blues played right down to their level. Little emotion; little intensity. Almost 7 1/2 minutes to generate your first shot on goal against Columbus???

Again/STILL this team looks to me to be lacking heart and soul. What was a solid three line team lacking intensity looks now like a 1 1/2 line team lacking intensity.

As far as Sniper's comment: "So chill out people, take a smoke break, and remember that things could be a LOT worse..." Screw that. The team seems to have no problem taking full ticket price money out of my wallet. It is perfectly right for me to expect a full effort from the team. Every team will slump, but I have little respect for a team that won't put in the workman's effort to try and get out of it.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:33 AM
topshelf331

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimothyR
As far as Sniper's comment: "So chill out people, take a smoke break, and remember that things could be a LOT worse..." Screw that. The team seems to have no problem taking full ticket price money out of my wallet. It is perfectly right for me to expect a full effort from the team. Every team will slump, but I have little respect for a team that won't put in the workman's effort to try and get out of it.

Then i have a hard time believing that you could follow any professional team. As they all have a point during the season in which this happens. Its going to happen this season, next season and every season , from every nhl team.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:43 AM
TimothyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Then i have a hard time believing that you could follow any professional team. As they all have a point during the season in which this happens. Its going to happen this season, next season and every season , from every nhl team.
The Blues are the only professional team that I follow. Have been for years. And, you are right. For years this has been one of the Blues main problems. Just because they do it doesn't mean that I have to accept it as being right.

Closed Thread