Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

*OFFICIAL* Saginaw Spirit 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-25-2013, 08:29 PM
EON

vCash: 400
Just finished watching tonights Erie-Saginaw game, and I'm going to sound biased here, but I was not really impressed with Saginaw at all. Jake Paterson saved this game for them, from the time Saginaw scored their second goal to the end of the game Erie dominated without two major offensive weapons (yes I realize you are missing Locke). Obviously just one game, but I was expecting more from Saginaw.

Old
09-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Just finished watching tonights Erie-Saginaw game, and I'm going to sound biased here, but I was not really impressed with Saginaw at all. Jake Paterson saved this game for them, from the time Saginaw scored their second goal to the end of the game Erie dominated without two major offensive weapons (yes I realize you are missing Locke). Obviously just one game, but I was expecting more from Saginaw.
That and I think Erie is going to be a lot better than people are expecting too.

Old
09-26-2013, 12:51 AM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
Bang on!

Old
09-26-2013, 07:53 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Lets not get carried away, we out played them for the first 30 and they out played us for the last 30, Erie web site even states that. We need to get better in our own end, we need our D-man to start making nice first passes coming out of our end. We either wing of the glass, flip it in the air or ice it. We need one or two D- man to take control and be a quarterback back there. I have watched the last three games and have been impressed how the other teams come out of their on end. Yes, we added toughness back there but not skill.

Old
09-26-2013, 11:25 AM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
Lets not get carried away, we out played them for the first 30 and they out played us for the last 30, Erie web site even states that. We need to get better in our own end, we need our D-man to start making nice first passes coming out of our end. We either wing of the glass, flip it in the air or ice it. We need one or two D- man to take control and be a quarterback back there. I have watched the last three games and have been impressed how the other teams come out of their on end. Yes, we added toughness back there but not skill.
Let's face it any one of these D men would be a healthy scratch on any other team. The only thing this team has is a top 6 forward line and a goalie that can stop pellets being shot at him with a machine gun. The D has always been the achilles heel of this team. The loss of Young, Strong and Webermin hurt this team, now you have zero skill on the backend. They can not effectively get the puck up to the forwards. I saw Lopez in Barrie he should be back from his injury soon so lets see if they give him the opportunity.

Last edited by Sonny Crockett: 09-26-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old
09-28-2013, 09:12 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Don't think the main problem right now starts with the D. I think there's 2 bigger problems:

1) The offense needs to put on more sustained pressure consistently. If the O isn't doing a good job of cycling and keeping the puck down in the opponents end, that means that the D is going to be doing more work than needed and that means tired D and that means TO's and penalties like hooking and tripping. Someone other than Payne has to step up and take the pressure off the D.

2) Cut the penalty minutes in half. Part of this goes back to my other point. But also we have to be more disciplined. I understand that we are trying to be physical but you got to be smart about it. Penalties will eat your momentum (back to point 1) and will add to your opponents shot totals in a hurry.

Basically if we work on those 2 things most of all, I think we can cut down our shots against per game to about 33. Which would be acceptable.

We're only 4 games in, so I'm not too concerned yet. If we haven't corrected for this stuff by game 20, then it's time for real concern.

Old
09-28-2013, 01:11 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

According to Ansar Khan, Detroit has signed Jake Paterson to a 3 year ELC.

Congrats Jake!

Old
09-29-2013, 06:59 AM
Sonny Crockett

Looks like David Perklin won't be back. Perklin decided to go home and wait to be traded. Why does it seem like Gilbert has a problem with the 95 birth year players or for that matter any player that was added to the team the same draft year that he took over as coach? There is something wrong with the environment in Saginaw!

Old
09-29-2013, 07:43 AM
SimonKnightsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingpin794 View Post
That and I think Erie is going to be a lot better than people are expecting too.
Umm.....at what point should Erie not automatically be better. Keep picking the low hanging fruit eventually your going to bounce up....unless you are a team called Edmonton .

Some day they will realize you build from the back end out.

Which brings me back to Erie......are their young D improving yet .

Old
09-29-2013, 08:23 AM
EON

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post
Umm.....at what point should Erie not automatically be better. Keep picking the low hanging fruit eventually your going to bounce up....unless you are a team called Edmonton .

Which brings me back to Erie......are their young D improving yet .
Well, out of our 6 regular defenseman, only 2 of them are younger than 94's. And they are both playing well (minus the lackadaisical effort from the whole team last night).

Old
09-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Sonny Crockett

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonKnightsman View Post

Can't agree with you enough!

Old
10-02-2013, 12:30 PM
willy29

Who's in the lineup tonight? Any predication's?

Old
10-02-2013, 09:46 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Couldn't make it to the game, but from looking at the box score some real quick thoughts:

-Good to see Jimmy get number one for this year.

-Alexeev stepped up big. He definitely has the talent for a breakout year.

-2 wins at home. Need a road W now.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:58 AM
bcspragu

Looks like Locke is back in Saginaw per his Twitter, finally some good news for Saginaw.

Old
10-04-2013, 09:48 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
I would expect Locke back this year. Who was the last player who was drafted the 2nd or 3rd time through who could come back as an OA that played in the AHL? Tanner Pearson is the last guy I can think of but he was a first round pick. I might be forgetting some, but I don't think it happens too much.

I also think back to Josh Shalla who couldn't crack the AHL after scoring 47 goals the previous season. (Although there were questions about his skating and D).

That being said, IF Locke does stick in the AHL, that would be a huge loss. More so from a leadership perspective, which is very tough to replace, than from an offensive perspective.
Called it.

Big boost for Saginaw. Not only should he challenge for the scoring title but he will bring leadership. Should be named captain. Would love to see him play tonight against Plymouth.

Last edited by Kingpin794: 10-04-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old
10-04-2013, 09:17 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Thank You Rochester!

3a, +2 in Locke's first game back.

Old
10-07-2013, 03:25 PM
willy29

With Locke's return, you sits or is demoted?

Old
10-07-2013, 03:52 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
With Locke's return, you sits or is demoted?
When Stephens returns from injury, Kris Bennett will be the odd man out in theory. Him, Addison and Stephens will probably run in a rotation for the final forward spot for now.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:54 AM
willy29

Quote:
When Stephens returns from injury, Kris Bennett will be the odd man out in theory. Him, Addison and Stephens will probably run in a rotation for the final forward spot for now.
We will see. I expect a big shake up of the lines. This team needs to start winning consistently.

Old
10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
clearwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
We will see. I expect a big shake up of the lines. This team needs to start winning consistently.
They just took 5 points out of a possible 6, the lines were clicking pretty good. The concern is what we are going to do with the D

Old
10-08-2013, 11:28 AM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearwater View Post
They just took 5 points out of a possible 6, the lines were clicking pretty good. The concern is what we are going to do with the D
The D is alright for now. They cut down on the number of shots the last two games and more consistent offense helped take pressure off the D. Add in Locke and this team will start winning consistently.

The next step though is winning on the road. This road trip they're going on arrived at the perfect time.

Old
10-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Sonny Crockett

The D is terrible... Sefton is the only D man that's consistent add Ringuette who is not bad and you have two D men on this team. The others are just there. I thought that Lopez would be back from his injury by now. Funny how the team did not comment on his injury over the summer or make mention of him.

Old
10-08-2013, 01:57 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Crockett View Post
I thought that Lopez would be back from his injury by now. Funny how the team did not comment on his injury over the summer or make mention of him.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

Old
10-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Kingpin794
Lucky 13

Saginaw has traded for Belleville d-man Daniel De Sousa.

http://www.bellevillebulls.com/artic...l-with-saginaw

IMO: Too much for an already log jammed blue line. Head scratcher to me.

Old
10-08-2013, 03:36 PM
defensehockey19

Whatever happened to David Perklin? Was he cut? What a bust

Closed Thread