HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devin Setoguchi

Old
10-03-2013, 05:17 AM
youvegotit

vCash: 500
Meh, happy he's not on the Wild anymore. Good speed/shot and can play physical but pretty bad defensively. I see him as more of a complementary player. Imo he's a fringe top 6 player and his game is not well suited for a bottom 6 role. Good to provide some (inconsistent) secondary scoring when put with decent linemates but to expect anything more is pushing it.

youvegotit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:34 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
Sharks fans said he was streaky when the Wild acquired him. After his time with the Wild, I think he lived up to that reputation.

When he's hot, he's awesome. At least last year when he wasn't scoring he was playing with a physical edge, which was better than being invisible during the cold streaks.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
You have no idea what you're talking about.

1.92 hits per game last season with Minnesota. 1.92 hits per game with San Jose in 2010-2011. 1.77 hits per game with San Jose in 2009-2010. Not counting his first season with the Wild as he was struggling with injuries throughout the year, especially since he was struck by a car before the season even started.
Wow! 1 year his hits dropped to almost half from the season before then the next year, in shortened season of course, he tied his hits/g from a couple years ago on the Sharks. Makes you wonder how that can be considered stepping up his game once he got to Minnesota, but then I might have no idea what he did on a team thats not mine...

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fahrenheit View Post
Wow! 1 year his hits dropped to almost half from the season before then the next year, in shortened season of course, he tied his hits/g from a couple years ago on the Sharks. Makes you wonder how that can be considered stepping up his game once he got to Minnesota, but then I might have no idea what he did on a team thats not mine...
Our team was pretty bad when we traded for Setoguchi.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 06:17 PM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:

Consider from our perspective DS did step up his physical game considerably last season.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Mr Fahrenheit
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
Consider from our perspective DS did step up his physical game considerably last season.
Thats fine, and he did, but the original post was claiming that he stepped up his physical play both years for the Wild after he left the Sharks, which is just false as he threw more hits with the Sharks then he did with the Wild

Mr Fahrenheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 03:07 AM
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D

Quote:
Thats fine, and he did, but the original post was claiming that he stepped up his physical play both years for the Wild after he left the Sharks, which is just false as he threw more hits with the Sharks then he did with the Wild
Fair enough, that was said.

Marlowe Syn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:30 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

vCash: 50
Inconsistent? Scored 2 goals and an A tonight including the GWG. Seems to consistently produce offense.

Lacks chemistry? You should see him with Kane, which people have said he's a one man line. The fact that these two seem to have good chemistry is great. Adding Scheifele also seems to work

Soft? 8 hits in 2 games.

allan5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:55 AM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
Inconsistent? Scored 2 goals and an A tonight including the GWG. Seems to consistently produce offense.

Lacks chemistry? You should see him with Kane, which people have said he's a one man line. The fact that these two seem to have good chemistry is great. Adding Scheifele also seems to work

Soft? 8 hits in 2 games.
He will look good for a handful of games and then vanish. you'll see.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 01:06 AM
Mattb124

Quote:
To be clear, what you are saying is 0 points in game 1 and 3 points in game 2 represents consistent offensive production?

Mattb124 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 01:13 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb124 View Post
To be clear, what you are saying is 0 points in game 1 and 3 points in game 2 represents consistent offensive production?
Consistent offensive production means shots to me. Sure we're only at 2 games, but the doom and gloom that we were fed seems far away.

Sometimes players just need a change. We're happy with the trade, even if he only produces .5 PPG it's far better than Antti "5 points playing with Evander Kane" Miettenen. Any Wild fan can't disagree with that.

Old
10-05-2013, 01:48 AM
Mattb124

Quote:
Consistent offensive production means shots to me. Sure we're only at 2 games, but the doom and gloom that we were fed seems far away.
Goal and assists represent offensive production, and "the doom and gloom" is only as far away as game 1. Gene and I have the benefit of having watched 4 seasons of Seto (versus 2 games with Winnipeg), where even a generational set-up man like Joe Thornton couldn't make him a consistent offensive producer.

Old
10-05-2013, 01:55 AM
allan5oh
#moneypushups

Quote:
Goal and assists represent offensive production, and "the doom and gloom" is only as far away as game 1. Gene and I have the benefit of having watched 4 seasons of Seto (versus 2 games with Winnipeg), where even a generational set-up man like Joe Thornton couldn't make him a consistent offensive producer.
I'm not going to say you're wrong because that's plain silly, but I hope you are. Also consider he's in a contract year.

I have no doubt he will outproduce our 3 bottom 9 RWers from last year. In fact last year he did out produce them all combined:

Meittenen 5 pts
Wellwood 15 pts
Thorburn 5 pts
Setoguchi 27 pts

The fact that he and Kane seem to have some chemistry, are willing to set up plays and pass to each other for one-timers, is simply incredible because these are both players with very strong reputations of having no ability to develop chemistry.

Old
10-05-2013, 02:20 AM
Mattb124

Honestly, I hope I am wrong because I have always liked Setoguchi - but experience suggests otherwise. He is one of those players who will score some huge goals and have some great games, but will also disappear for long stretched unexplicably.

Old
10-05-2013, 04:25 AM
mkoivu9*

Quote:
Honestly, I hope I am wrong because I have always liked Setoguchi - but experience suggests otherwise. He is one of those players who will score some huge goals and have some great games, but will also disappear for long stretched unexplicably.
Spot on, he scored some big goals for the Wild. The multi-point games followed by month long scoring droughts were too painful to watch. wish the best for him and hope he does well in Winnipeg but I'm glad he isn't in MN anymore.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:05 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 744
I don't think you guys are necessarily disagreeing.

If he puts up SJ-like numbers or even close to it, say 25G-25A, maybe 200 shots, that's infinitely better than anything Kane has ever had to work with. Even 40 points would be a massive upgrade. Their speed and physicality seems to work together; The debate on the Jets forum has always been whether Kane needs a playmaker on his line or a garbage collector and given how he's always carrying the puck in and generating chances himself, I'm with the latter.

It's a little unrealistic to think Seto's going to change his consistency level entirely, it's also a little unrealistic to think Jets fans won't view him as a huge upgrade over Miettinen regardless.

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:35 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vBurmi View Post
I don't think you guys are necessarily disagreeing.

If he puts up SJ-like numbers or even close to it, say 25G-25A, maybe 200 shots, that's infinitely better than anything Kane has ever had to work with. Even 40 points would be a massive upgrade. Their speed and physicality seems to work together; The debate on the Jets forum has always been whether Kane needs a playmaker on his line or a garbage collector and given how he's always carrying the puck in and generating chances himself, I'm with the latter.

It's a little unrealistic to think Seto's going to change his consistency level entirely, it's also a little unrealistic to think Jets fans won't view him as a huge upgrade over Miettinen regardless.
It's quite funny how Seto has been the Miettinen replacement for two teams now.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 04:29 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 744
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
It's quite funny how Seto has been the Miettinen replacement for two teams now.
Nice low-pressure situation. Such an easy act to follow

vBurmi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

the good news for the Jets is an Inconsistant Seto is still a massive upgrade over what Kane has played with in the past. Kane's effort level is always high and Scheif works hard too. they really only need Devon to compliment most of the time.

so far it has been a pretty electric line and I think Seto has been put into a favorable situation as he heads into free agency. If he gets open Mark will find him and also when Kane is on his game he wreaks havoc around the next and has always needed an opportunist type with hands to collect garbage and bury it. Seto skill set fits Scheif and Kane like a glove. if he is on a prolonged slump effort wise I see Noel putting Frolik in his spot to shake it up.

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote