HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Lavi gets canned?
His Christmas gift this year will be a pink slip 63 50.81%
He'll make it to the end of the season and then be fired 21 16.94%
He will continue for the duration of his contract extension 16 12.90%
Never..it's always somebody else's fault (goalie, players etc.) 8 6.45%
Other (post in thread) 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
this team has gone backwards since they went to the Cup Final. This has been a organizational failure. And that includes Holmgren. Who will continue to get a free pass in this town just because he was a former player then a coach.
occasional crappy signing? lirl
Devils Advocate:

The major moves he made after the 2010 playoffs, asides from Bryz, were all centered around young players. The only ones old enough to be expected to be counted on are Voracek and Simmonds, and both look to be solid Top 6 Wingers. Schenn should begin to produce this year, and then take the step forward to a major contributor next year, and Couts the year after that.

They have gotten worse, but there's no reason for anyone to think that they wouldn't be worse off in the short term. They traded their best forwards, and their best defenseman is done. The goalie they thought would bail them out didn't work out.

I just wish they would have signed Vokoun and stuck with Bob. I think the future would be looking a lot brighter. And before anyone says it, that's not hindsight. I didn't think Bryz would suck, but I thought it'd made sense to keep Bob since the team had gotten so young.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:05 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Devils Advocate:

The major moves he made after the 2010 playoffs, asides from Bryz, were all centered around young players. The only ones old enough to be expected to be counted on are Voracek and Simmonds, and both look to be solid Top 6 Wingers. Schenn should begin to produce this year, and then take the step forward to a major contributor next year, and Couts the year after that.

They have gotten worse, but there's no reason for anyone to think that they wouldn't be worse off in the short term. They traded their best forwards, and their best defenseman is done. The goalie they thought would bail them out didn't work out.

I just wish they would have signed Vokoun and stuck with Bob. I think the future would be looking a lot brighter. And before anyone says it, that's not hindsight. I didn't think Bryz would suck, but I thought it'd made sense to keep Bob since the team had gotten so young.
Schenn and Couturier really are going to need to step up or those 2 trades will not look very good. Yeah Jake has played very well in his time here but the rest have been inconsistent at best.
We have been down that road before with how the goaltending position was handled. Its a all to familiar theme in recent memory. not going to get into how I feel about it. Do not want to start another riot with the Holmgren supporters.

Old
10-04-2013, 04:48 PM
renberg

If you look at the skills on this roster you can see that they just aren't a fit for Lavi's Jam hockey. To play the type of hockey that Lavi wants, the forwards need to be great skaters; snipers who can finish on breakaways or odd man rushes; and strong defensively in the own end. The defensemen need to be speedy, physical and are good passers. The goaltenders need to be good with the glove and not give up rebounds in the crease.
This roster can play good hockey and go far in the POs with the right coach and system. This isn't it with Jam Man.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Flyers coach suing Bank of America

Lavi trying to get his finances in order before he is unemployed....

Good luck trying to get Bank of America to admit to fraud...US Justice Dept can't even do it or doesn't want to (Too Big to Jail) ..they just slap them with civil suits and fines that amount to the cost of doing business for BoA...

Quote:
According to the lawsuit in Palm Beach County Circuit Court, Bank of America laid out the plan in a 12-page brochure that included projections of real-estate values and investment values to substantiate its return on investment claims.

One such document projected that by leveraging the properties, the Laviolettes would increase their net worth resulting from these assets from $8.1 million after 30 years to almost $22.1 million - a gain of nearly $14 million, the complaint states, according to the Florida attorney.

At the time, Laviolette and his wife, Kristen, owned a home in Raleigh, N.C., and two homes in Florida. They still own all three.

The Laviolettes, CN reported, said they later learned that the high-return investment projections relied on "artificially inflated values for their properties and an unreasonable rate of return."

The couple is seeking seeks at least $3 million and rescission of the three loans, according to CN.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...O3AoDtTsYrZ.99

Old
10-05-2013, 01:19 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Lavi trying to get his finances in order before he is unemployed....

Good luck trying to get Bank of America to admit to fraud...US Justice Dept can't even do it or doesn't want to (Too Big to Jail) ..they just slap them with civil suits and fines that amount to the cost of doing business for BoA...
I can just see Laviolette destroying a bank machine between periods now. He's moving up from carbonated beverages!

Old
10-05-2013, 04:04 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Homer has done nothing but improve the team.

We needed a big body D, we got Grossman and Morin.

We needed a better G, we gave the BUM a chance; then went and got a young kid and a vet.

Not sure how anybody can fault Homer for anything but abusing cap space with the occasional crappy signing.
He traded a Vezina winner away for a second rounder after signing someone for 50 million dollars that they bought out two years later. I can fault him for that and that is NOT "improving the team".

Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
I don't agree with that statement at all... we have had a few goalies now (Bryz included) that did badly here but did fine on other teams. Again, it is our system that is at fault.
Bob didn't do badly at all here. Michael Leighton went from being the worst ****ing goalie on two skates to getting three shut outs on the way to the Stanley Cup finals. What did we have to say about Laviolette's system then? It was brilliant. It was sheltering bums in net and making them look great.

If you look at the **** Bryz was letting in, there's no way any coach was going to insulate him against that. You can' stop other NHL teams from getting shots from the outside, I don't care how good your system and personnel is. Bryz sucking here was on Bryz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
And they traded Bob because Lavy totally misused him in the playoffs, giving him one start, then putting him in the press box so he could bring Leighton in. Lavy can look right in the mirror for whose fault that was.
They traded Bob because there wasn't room for him and Bryz on the same roster. They traded the better goalie of the two, after signing the worse one for 50 million while next year's Vezina winner was still on the roster. I don't care what you want to say about what Lavi did in that Buffalo series, that's on Holmgren.

As for the way Lavi handled the goalies in that play offs, I didn't love it either. The only thing I can say is that it had to be a decision predicated on behind the scenes ****, because nothing that happened on the ice led me to believe that Boucher had justified that decision with his play.

Quote:
this team has gone backwards since they went to the Cup Final. This has been a organizational failure. And that includes Holmgren. Who will continue to get a free pass in this town just because he was a former player then a coach.
And there it is, the unfortunate truth.

Old
10-05-2013, 06:47 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Bob didn't do badly at all here. Michael Leighton went from being the worst ****ing goalie on two skates to getting three shut outs on the way to the Stanley Cup finals. What did we have to say about Laviolette's system then? It was brilliant. It was sheltering bums in net and making them look great.

If you look at the **** Bryz was letting in, there's no way any coach was going to insulate him against that. You can' stop other NHL teams from getting shots from the outside, I don't care how good your system and personnel is. Bryz sucking here was on Bryz.
Because lavi had a team that supported his system them, the argument is that the current team (last 3 seasons really) doesn't have the correct players to support his system. Blame who you will for that (homer is supposed to get players that supports the coach's system right?).

As far as Bryz, yea he had some weak goals, but he also had some stretches where he played very well. Again, under the defensive system of phoenix he played very well (was sheltered maybe?), here he fell on his face, as would most goalies.

The system a team plays has a huge impact on how good a goalie appears, Marty (yes he is a great goalie) had his stats greatly improved because of the system the devils played for many years, and they continue to be defensively responsible.

Last edited by StandingCow: 10-05-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Old
10-05-2013, 09:25 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
The stretches where Bryz played really well totalled about 5 weeks. 5 weeks of good, consistent play in two seasons. That sucks.

As GTD pointed out, no system was going to compensate for Bryz's play. Even when the defense did the right things and held shots to the perimeter other teams would score; often because Bryz wasn't square to the shot or just didn't track it at all. That Bryz is apparently an ECHLer now only supports our opinion that Bryzgalov was individually horrible.

10-05-2013, 01:07 PM
Victory5

10-15 games ala Stevens

http://www.flyersnation.net/2013/10/...hot-seat-.html

Old
10-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
Because lavi had a team that supported his system them, the argument is that the current team (last 3 seasons really) doesn't have the correct players to support his system. Blame who you will for that (homer is supposed to get players that supports the coach's system right?).

As far as Bryz, yea he had some weak goals, but he also had some stretches where he played very well. Again, under the defensive system of phoenix he played very well (was sheltered maybe?), here he fell on his face, as would most goalies.

The system a team plays has a huge impact on how good a goalie appears, Marty (yes he is a great goalie) had his stats greatly improved because of the system the devils played for many years, and they continue to be defensively responsible.
I almost feel like I'm being talked down to here, lol. I am very familiar with the dynamics that exist between a team and the goalie. Bryzgalov objectively sucked though.

Your assertion that most goalies would fall on their face here just doesn't stack up. Laviolette has success here with terrible goalies, and last year he just missed the play-offs with a terrible goalie. Bobrovsky had two good years here. Emery and Mason have done alrght here. Leighton had his best time in the NHL by far here.

This team needs to get some decent goaltending and they'll buy right back in. I' not feeling too good about the duo that's in there now, but I guess we'll see.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 10-05-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old
10-05-2013, 03:06 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Sadly that is way too late.

Old
10-05-2013, 05:59 PM
StandingCow

Quote:
I almost feel like I'm being talked down to here, lol. I am very familiar with the dynamics that exist between a team and the goalie. Bryzgalov objectively sucked though.

Your assertion that most goalies would fall on their face here just doesn't stack up. Laviolette has success here with terrible goalies, and last year he just missed the play-offs with a terrible goalie. Bobrovsky had two good years here. Emery and Mason have done alrght here. Leighton had his best time in the NHL by far here.

This team needs to get some decent goaltending and they'll buy right back in. I' not feeling too good about the duo that's in there now, but I guess we'll see.
Nah, I wasn't talking down to you, I was dead tired and sick (still am) when I wrote that, so I may not have worded it very well.

I just find it odd to see goalies do so poorly here then do well somewhere else.

Last edited by StandingCow: 10-05-2013 at 06:07 PM.
Old
10-05-2013, 06:55 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Its been 4 years since we made it to the cup final.

10/11 We had the majority of the same core that made the finals including a stud, young G in BOB. Started out hot, then mid season we suffered injuries and our young G started cooling off as teams exposed his one weakness. Should have went deep but got booted due to injures and our coach running a joke of a goalie side show.

11/12 Snider panics during the offseason, demands a goalie fix. He finds fault with our captain and our consistent 50 pt player for not producing in the previous post season where the entire team looked terrible. Has them axed to make funding for non proven goaltender and proceeds to kick our young stud to a back up position. We look impressive offensively, but lose captain and #1 D Pronger to a concussion. Our replacement goalie went from good to inconsistently mediocre. The goalie carousel began again and we were bounced by a better NJ team.

12/13 Lockout shorten season starts off abysmal. After not being able to cash in on Weber, we continue to lack depth at the blue line since Pronger left. We stick with our crappy headcase goalie. Made him the clear cut #1 after trading Bob in the offseason so the BUMs fragile ego wouldn't get destroyed. Never get our feet under us and miss the playoffs.

I look at that and don't see how much can actually be pinned on the GM.

I'm not saying Homer is blameless. I'm just saying a lot of that is bad luck, and other people making piss poor decisions.

Quote:
He traded a Vezina winner away for a second rounder after signing someone for 50 million dollars that they bought out two years later. I can fault him for that and that is NOT "improving the team".
Come on man. You know Homer didn't demand Bryz.

Snider demanded a replacement and it was Homers job to bring one here at any cost.

If anybody should go it should be Lavy (as his system no longer fits our team) and Snider for failing to see what a lot of people saw in Bob.

Old
10-05-2013, 06:57 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

To answer the question at hand

I felt if we started the season with two losses in three games, that Lavy should be fired. Being we lost the opener, that means if we can't win tonight I believe he should be gone.

Zero reason to start two season 0-3 and 0-2.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
MrHockey1982

I'm on board. Lavy's gotta go

Old
10-05-2013, 09:01 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Tonight or tomorrow night, especially if we lose tomorrow. Lavy has no ****ing clue of what to do anymore. Also, a new coach would light the fire under our guys ***** probably.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Tonight or tomorrow night, especially if we lose tomorrow. Lavy has no ****ing clue of what to do anymore. Also, a new coach would light the fire under our guys ***** probably.
I suspect Holmgren is going to come into the locker room and rage again with his neck vein in plain sight. Then we'll hear the " we gottas" from the players etc etc....

Same crap...

Old
10-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I suspect Holmgren is going to come into the locker room and rage again with his neck vein in plain sight. Then we'll hear the " we gottas" from the players etc etc....

Same crap...
nope not this time..

someones getting fired
no more pep talks

Old
10-05-2013, 09:10 PM
bennysflyers16

I'm gonna go on a limb and say Lavy doesn't get a win this year.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:15 PM
CyborgLindros

I'm on board an offensive system. Scores 2 goals in 2 games not to mention the preseason.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:16 PM
MrHockey1982

puhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhthetic

Old
10-05-2013, 09:19 PM
bauer

who's out there though to replace Lavy? we got Hexy in line to replace Homer, which hopefully happens sooner rather than later, but who will replace Lavy? and please no Berube.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
I'm gonna go on a limb and say Lavy doesn't get a win this year.
Nor will they score an ES goal under him

Old
10-05-2013, 09:23 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
who's out there though to replace Lavy? we got Hexy in line to replace Homer, which hopefully happens sooner rather than later, but who will replace Lavy? and please no Berube.
Berube would probably be out along with Lavy. It's more the point that who we have now DOES NOTHING for this team. When you have something that does nothing, you replace the nothing with something.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer View Post
Terry Murray. He taught the Kings how to play team D, he might be able to teach this team to cover a guy occasionally, support the puck, backcheck, forecheck - you know, all the things Lavy doesn't teach them to any effect.

Although I hope Lavy will be fired after they lose to Carolina tomorrow, the best time is after the Pittsburgh game. It'll be 0-8 or 1-7 after that game and they have a week off to let the new coach try to teach them a system.

Closed Thread