HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
10-05-2013, 07:36 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
Lets fire Hervey too, what has he done.
What has never been talked about is how the talent level in this organization steadily dropped after he was named head scout. His promotion to GM was just as bizarre and undeserved as Maccioca's was.

rboomercat90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
lol... people are still going to Esks games?

biggest suckers on the planet
LOLOLOL this coming from an oilers forum, where you pay as much for one or two games as an esks season ticket and they have stunk at least this bad for about 5 years and always sold out.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
What has never been talked about is how the talent level in this organization steadily dropped after he was named head scout. His promotion to GM was just as bizarre and undeserved as Maccioca's was.
Not really, Hervey worked his way up in scouting and worked his tail off to become a gm. He also has had no one at all to pass the torch from. I'll give Hervey another year but his 1st move a few days after the season as to be to fire Reed. If Reed is not canned right after the season then I agree.

ACtually if Hervey was to go i'd like to see the whole organization purged. The joke board of directors, the laughable club president and everyone underneath.

I think a half assed coach will be the start though. this team is not without some talented players. Just no enough and pure awful prep and coaching.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 08:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
LOLOLOL this coming from an oilers forum, where you pay as much for one or two games as an esks season ticket and they have stunk at least this bad for about 5 years and always sold out.
But with the Esks there's no reason to go to the games. None.

For pete's sake the Oilers have a more recent finals appearance than this bunch of jokers.

GreatKeith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 08:03 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
But with the Esks there's no reason to go to the games. None.

For pete's sake the Oilers have a more recent finals appearance than this bunch of jokers.
My tickets were given to me today but I feel a lot better spending 30 dollars (50 with brewskis) on an afternoon or evening out with friends opposed to 100-150 dollars on a singular Oilers game.

FYI the Eskimos were in the final in 2005 (the same 2005/2006 year/season that the Oilers played in the Stanley Cup final) and they won.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 08:07 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
My tickets were given to me today but I feel a lot better spending 30 dollars (50 with brewskis) on an afternoon or evening out with friends opposed to 100-150 dollars on a singular Oilers game.

FYI the Eskimos were in the final in 2005 (the same 2005/2006 year/season that the Oilers played in the Stanley Cup final) and they won.
Yup, and not a damn thing since. It's one thing to be inept in a 30 team league...

It's another to be inept in an 8 team league. I think only the Ti-Cats have a longer Grey Cup appearance drought than we do.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:09 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Yup, and not a damn thing since. It's one thing to be inept in a 30 team league...

It's another to be inept in an 8 team league. I think only the Ti-Cats have a longer Grey Cup appearance drought than we do.
That's fine. I still feel better regarding the money spent.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
That's fine. I still feel better regarding the money spent.
I wouldn't. They just got blown out by Montreal's backup.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:14 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I wouldn't. They just got blown out by Montreal's backup.
Well, I feel better.

The last time I paid for an Oilers ticket I felt like I was assaulted and robbed.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:18 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Ones View Post
I found it strange when Reed was asked if he thought it was contradicting to announce that Reilly was 100% but only sent him into the game with a limited play book and he didn't see the correlation.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:23 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
say what you want, the Oilers are marketing guru's....selling hope

what are the Esks selling?

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
say what you want, the Oilers are marketing guru's....selling hope

what are the Esks selling?
A masochist's dream.

Old
10-05-2013, 08:28 PM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Not really, Hervey worked his way up in scouting and worked his tail off to become a gm. He also has had no one at all to pass the torch from. I'll give Hervey another year but his 1st move a few days after the season as to be to fire Reed. If Reed is not canned right after the season then I agree.
Maccioca worked his tail off too when Campbell was AWOL towards the end of his tenure. The problem was he wasn't having a whole lot of success in the job he already held before he was promoted. Hard work alone doesn't entitle somebody to a promotion, you have to also prove you can be successful and the way to do it is by being good at what you're already doing. The proof wasn't there for Maccioca and I don't see any evidence that it was there for Hervey either. The thing the two of them did have in common was an absent boss and a bunch of excuses. That just proves how long the organization has been a gong show and ultimately that falls on the Board of Directors.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:03 PM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
We left early and saw Hervey who left his box early and was walking under the west stands, presumably to his office.

My friend and I were wondering if he might fire Reed tomorrow. My buddy wants Lapolice as the next coach, but I would like Dickenson. I think our next coach will be Campbell.
left early, when the playoffs are at stake?

I don't know why the would bother to fire Reed tomorrow. he should have been fired 12 games ago. what a joke.
no point in doing it now. The esks have already already shown how stupid they were to allow such useless coaches to continue to drive the team into the ditch.

then again. Hervey is doing a rebuild of a team he was the head scout of building.
has anyone ever had a GM rebuilding a team he had a part of creating in the first place?

I also was at the game. the first half had some of the worst football I've ever seen the esks play. and that's saying something.

I may have missed it when I was in the concession area, but I don't think the esks announced the attendance today. they muist have been too embarassed to do so.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:43 PM
aleshemsky83

He's not rebuilding, he's a terrible gm, there's talk he put his second best receiver on the 9 game injured list because he has no idea how to manage the cap, he let go of Weldon brown to improve a pass rush that he didn't actually improve, he signed Odell Willis 1 minute after free agency started, the guy is horrible

aleshemsky83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:08 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

One thing I noticed about the Eskimos while I was watching today's game is that they really suck.

oilers_guy_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
One thing I noticed about the Eskimos while I was watching today's game is that they really suck.
Proof?

10-06-2013, 12:20 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

The Eskimos get a reprieve because the Oilers managed to be worse.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

I don't know why the would bother to fire Reed tomorrow. he should have been fired 12 games ago. what a joke.
no point in doing it now. The esks have already already shown how stupid they were to allow such useless coaches to continue to drive the team into the ditch.

then again. Hervey is doing a rebuild of a team he was the head scout of building.
has anyone ever had a GM rebuilding a team he had a part of creating in the first place?

I also was at the game. the first half had some of the worst football I've ever seen the esks play. and that's saying something.

I may have missed it when I was in the concession area, but I don't think the esks announced the attendance today. they muist have been too embarassed to do so.
Sadly there is another team currently using this same strategy. I won't say who it is...but you don't have to look too far. I won't give too many hints, but their uniforms are blue and orange.

This organization is so bloody cheap that they couldn't even be bothered to throw out mini footballs to the few of us left in the stands for the garbage time TDs. I'm glad I won't be bothering to renew season tickets.

Announced attendance today was 28,000 for whoever was asking. My guess was there was probably around 20,000 actually at the game.

Kyle McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

At your service sir.

Lowest I ever recall for an esks regular season game at Commonwealth. With a lot of those paid tickets disguised as empty seats.

Worse still is there was probably half of the fans sitting in seats by the second half. I imagine the exodus started really early.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:22 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
The Eskimos get a reprieve because the Oilers managed to be worse.
You're all for that though right?

Old
10-06-2013, 02:05 AM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
You're all for that though right?
Not sure why I would be. I have a lot more faith in the Oilers than the Eskimos, but that's dwindling pretty quickly.

Maybe I should just stop watching sports altogether.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:15 AM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
At your service sir.

Lowest I ever recall for an esks regular season game at Commonwealth. With a lot of those paid tickets disguised as empty seats.

Worse still is there was probably half of the fans sitting in seats by the second half. I imagine the exodus started really early.
They lucked out with the weather. If it had been rainy and barely above zero like it was earlier this week I doubt 10,000 people would have shown up.

Still though, the 2009 finale against the Argos takes the cake. We'd already clinched a playoff spot, shockingly, and the game was meaningless. It was rainy all day, turning to wet snow by game time, which was 7 pm Friday night. There were probably 3,000 people actually in their seats, maybe 2,000 more underneath. Never seen anything like it. According to the CFL website the official tally was 30,000. I think the organization caught a break with the schedule this year with only one game left after today. Imagine if they played the Bombers on the last Friday night of the season or something. Attendance would be getting counted in the hundreds, not thousands.

Kyle McMahon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:13 AM
rboomercat90

Quote:
Not sure why I would be. I have a lot more faith in the Oilers than the Eskimos, but that's dwindling pretty quickly.

Maybe I should just stop watching sports altogether.
I have zero faith in either of them. Bad management never works anywhere.

Old
10-06-2013, 08:53 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
They did announce it at over 28,000.

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote