HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Version 2.0: How long before Laviolette gets canned?

View Poll Results: How long before Lavi gets canned?
His Christmas gift this year will be a pink slip 63 50.81%
He'll make it to the end of the season and then be fired 21 16.94%
He will continue for the duration of his contract extension 16 12.90%
Never..it's always somebody else's fault (goalie, players etc.) 8 6.45%
Other (post in thread) 16 12.90%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-05-2013, 09:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Berube would probably be out along with Lavy. It's more the point that who we have now DOES NOTHING for this team. When you have something that does nothing, you replace the nothing with something.
I don't think so rarely do you see whole coaching staffs go out, it's usually just the head coach.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:35 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't think so rarely do you see whole coaching staffs go out, it's usually just the head coach.
Stevens' whole crew was sent out.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Stevens' whole crew was sent out.
It's still pretty rare, you usually just see one guy go.

The chances of Berube being the replacement is far greater than him getting the axe too IMO.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:43 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Checking in for the "fire the coach" roll call.

Been avoiding up to this point, but such a talented team shouldn't have issues breaking down defenses, scoring, and playing defense. He's gotta go.

edit: I'd give him a "3 game leash," where'd I'd expect drastic improvement offensively and defensively in each game.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:49 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

At least that useless right hand man of his (Kevin McCarthy) will be gone as well.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:53 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
How did Maurice's last gig go ? Was TO his last job ?

Old
10-05-2013, 09:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Last I remember he was in the KHL.

Old
10-05-2013, 09:58 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Last I remember he was in the KHL.
He has been on the TSN panel this year, so must be unemployed

Old
10-05-2013, 10:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
He has been on the TSN panel this year, so must be unemployed
I just looked it up he was only there for last year. His team had a good year, I guess he got homesick or something.

Edit: I can't find out why he left but he was replaced by Mike Keenan. I found an article where it seemed like the KHL team he was with was worried about him possibly leaving for the NHL.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old
10-05-2013, 10:14 PM
MP92
Catching flies

Quote:
I just looked it up he was only there for last year. His team had a good year, I guess he got homesick or something.

Edit: I can't find out why he left but he was replaced by Mike Keenan. I found an article where it seemed like the KHL team he was with was worried about him possibly leaving for the NHL.
What kind of system does he run? Wasn't he the one who replaced Lavi in Carolina?

Old
10-05-2013, 10:22 PM
Flyers4Ever77

Guy Boucher anyone?

Old
10-05-2013, 10:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
What kind of system does he run? Wasn't he the one who replaced Lavi in Carolina?
I'm not really sure but for the most part he's been a pretty good coach his whole career. He would definitely be someone worth a look considering he's available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers4Ever77 View Post
Guy Boucher anyone?
Nope, we need a more balanced out coach. He's an offense guy like Lavi.

I would imagine Vinny wouldn't be too thrilled with that choice neither.

Old
10-05-2013, 10:57 PM
healthyscratch

Should add Monday morning to the poll.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:04 AM
CyborgLindros

I can truely see Lavy getting fired Monday morning under a few key circumstances.
1. They lose tomorrow in the same way (1 goal on the powerplay, failure to break through the defense etc)
2. No ES goals (this may be most important 3 games without scoring at 5 on 5 would be pretty severe)
3. (we probably wouldn't here about it till later) Losing the players. If the players stopped believing last year like many said and didn't drink the kool-aide during camp etc. They simply won't do it.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:55 AM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Its been 4 years since we made it to the cup final.

10/11 We had the majority of the same core that made the finals including a stud, young G in BOB. Started out hot, then mid season we suffered injuries and our young G started cooling off as teams exposed his one weakness. Should have went deep but got booted due to injures and our coach running a joke of a goalie side show.

11/12 Snider panics during the offseason, demands a goalie fix. He finds fault with our captain and our consistent 50 pt player for not producing in the previous post season where the entire team looked terrible. Has them axed to make funding for non proven goaltender and proceeds to kick our young stud to a back up position. We look impressive offensively, but lose captain and #1 D Pronger to a concussion. Our replacement goalie went from good to inconsistently mediocre. The goalie carousel began again and we were bounced by a better NJ team.

12/13 Lockout shorten season starts off abysmal. After not being able to cash in on Weber, we continue to lack depth at the blue line since Pronger left. We stick with our crappy headcase goalie. Made him the clear cut #1 after trading Bob in the offseason so the BUMs fragile ego wouldn't get destroyed. Never get our feet under us and miss the playoffs.

I look at that and don't see how much can actually be pinned on the GM.

I'm not saying Homer is blameless. I'm just saying a lot of that is bad luck, and other people making piss poor decisions.
Homer run into bad luck, but the moves he made were comparable to impulse buying. He tries to instant fix everything, when in reality, this team did not need to be fixed that much.

After we went to the cup, what were our main issues? Goalie for sure, and perhaps some locker room things with Carter/Richards and Pronger.

So now, we have no Carter, no Richards, no Pronger, and still no Goalie. In return we've gotten younger up front, but have failed to produce, and I think thats really hurt Giroux. Homer cant control that, and for the most part, I think he's done OK with the offense, I blame lavy more in terms of our issues up front.

The D and goalie situation falls more on bad luck with the Weber/Pronger deal, but Homer should have realized our blue line was aging fast, and failed to make any modest upgrades.

Old
10-06-2013, 03:02 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

if Berube wasnt a former player he probably would not be a candidate. Since he is well you know how it is in this town. Especially considering what type of player he was.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:43 AM

Lars Eller has scored more goals than our entire team. We've got 0 ES goals in 2 games, only 1 goal at all that actually matters and a team that are playing dramatically below the sum of their parts. Laviolette is going to coach us out of the play-offs for the second consecutive season if he's allowed to continue.

Frankly, we look like the worst team in the league.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:56 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
I don't know about Paul Maurice. I'm not sold on him at all as a coach. He's had a couple of good seasons as a head coach, but has mainly been mediocre to poor in terms of coaching. Teams generally never got better under his watch.

If the Flyers do fire Laviolette, the question is who gets brought in and can they get everyone on the same page in terms of getting the on ice play straightened out? That's why I don't see Berube as the next head coach. I think they go interim for the rest of the year and that it'll probably be Terry Murray who gets tapped on the shoulder. People may dislike the guy, but he'll get them scoring at even strength again and he'll have them playing much better defensively, two major problems with this club right now.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:28 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I personally wouldn't fire Lavi, however, I completely understand why a lo of you would. That said, if all he had coming into the year was a three game leash, they probably already have someone else in mind, and they probably would've just given him the job. Every team can suck for three games.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lavi is on a short leash, but I would epect it to be more like 8-9 games, unless they're all completely hopeless stinkers like this last game (the maybe 5-6?).

Old
10-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
Lars Eller has scored more goals than our entire team. We've got 0 ES goals in 2 games, only 1 goal at all that actually matters and a team that are playing dramatically below the sum of their parts. Laviolette is going to coach us out of the play-offs for the second consecutive season if he's allowed to continue.

Frankly, we look like the worst team in the league.
Yep, no offence created when we have 7 40 point or more forward. 6 of those 7 have also paced for 50 or more within the last two years.

(in last two seasons, not players who used to be 50 pointers, 6 got that last year, (Hartnell did not, has every other since 03-04) 6 got it the year before (Schenn did not.))

That is the joint most 40 point forwards of any team in the league. At a quick glance only Pittsburgh can say that as well.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:19 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
John Stevens had 3 separate 10-game losing streaks, and also started a season 0-6, and never got fired until Chris Pronger decided he was an idiot. Start there.

Holmgren won't be quick to pull the trigger because he's going to have to answer for it. To do so before the end of the first month is an obvious admission that it should have been done after last season.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:33 AM
Curufinwe

I think they could easily be 2-6 by the time Pittsburgh come to town and beat us.

Old
10-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Prongo
Beer

The ten game mark is a good marker I believe. If this team is below .500, there will be moves made.(there has to be right?)

Old
10-06-2013, 09:24 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Wake up. Lavi still the coach.

Welp today' gonna suck.

Old
10-06-2013, 09:55 AM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
I said this in the GDT, but if they lose again without scoring an even strength goal, Lavi needs to go today.

We are at 50+ games going back to last season and really further than that since the play-offs 2 years ago that this team has been completely lost offensively. The goaltending is not a problem, the D looks at least semi-respectable, but the offensive just looks defeated.

They play one good period a game, blow their load and then barely are able to manage anything the rest of the game and then start trying to make cross ice passes for breakaways and blow the pass or dump and chase and lose the race.

The change needs to happen sooner rather than later so a new coach can come in, start at least implementing something and hopefully make a move towards the play-offs instead of getting so far behind that a coaching change does nothing anyway for this season.

Closed Thread