HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Roenick Water Bottle incident

View Poll Results: Should Roenick be suspended for throwing water bottle at Ref.
Yes 32 66.67%
No 16 33.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
01-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Big Mama*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerwilliams
didn't tom lysiak get 20 games for tripping a linseman on purpose??
Good memory Tiger. He actually let the ref step on his stick. He was pretty tricky. I think he was drafted the same year as Lanny McDonald.

Time for Tannenbaum to load up the arm. He sits behind the bench. I used to like the old days in MLG when a bad call used to result in a rain of debris onto the ice. I remeember on of my buddies throwing his shoe on the ice. Anyone remember that. Ha Ha Cold walk home.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:24 AM
Charge_Seven

haha...a shoe...next game I go to I'm bringing an old pair to throw. If they ask who through them, I'll be like "hey man...I'm still wearing shoes...couldn't have been me..."

Old
01-15-2004, 06:48 AM
Big Mama*

Great idea, but in Toronto the good someone will rat you out. You'll get a one game suspension. But if you did it in Philly they would laud you.

Old
01-15-2004, 08:10 AM
ACC1224
Burke was right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mother Tucker
Good memory Tiger. He actually let the ref step on his stick. He was pretty tricky. I think he was drafted the same year as Lanny McDonald.

Time for Tannenbaum to load up the arm. He sits behind the bench. I used to like the old days in MLG when a bad call used to result in a rain of debris onto the ice. I remeember on of my buddies throwing his shoe on the ice. Anyone remember that. Ha Ha Cold walk home.
Yeah great idea...there is nothing that kills the momentum or intensity of a game more than the unnecessary delay of having the ice crew come out to clean up after some morons decide to throw stuff on the ice.

Old
01-16-2004, 01:55 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
What is with you Torodney Dangerfield fans? "Nobody loves us" "Everyone is against us" "Poor wittle us". Tucker and Domi, like Roenick, are repeat offenders. Sundin threw a stick in the stands, just like a high stick can be unintentional and still deserves a penalty. Roenick didn't exactly hurl that bottle with much force and he spit on the ice near the official not on him. Get over it.

Old
01-16-2004, 06:13 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanKordicsFist
What is with you Torodney Dangerfield fans? "Nobody loves us" "Everyone is against us" "Poor wittle us". Tucker and Domi, like Roenick, are repeat offenders. Sundin threw a stick in the stands, just like a high stick can be unintentional and still deserves a penalty. Roenick didn't exactly hurl that bottle with much force and he spit on the ice near the official not on him. Get over it.
Hey I tried to tell Mother Tucker that he was making Leaf fans look bad with his never ending position on the Sundin situation..but you should take notice that He was very much in the minority on his stance and many many Leafs took the opposite position..... So you should direct your post at him and not Leaf Fans...

Check out this poll results on the leafs board

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=41917

Old
01-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
Hey I tried to tell Mother Tucker that he was making Leaf fans look bad with his never ending position on the Sundin situation..but you should take notice that He was very much in the minority on his stance and many many Leafs took the opposite position..... So you should direct your post at him and not Leaf Fans...

Check out this poll results on the leafs board

http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=41917
All one has to do is listen to Roenick continue on with his rant against Bettman to understand that the league is biased against the Leafs. If Roenick played for the leafs he would have received 5 games by now. As Bill Watters says, Bettman is Sniders (Flyer's owner) boy. Surprise suprise he has been treated with Kid gloves. What would happen if Nolan carried on like Roenick ( who I agre with and don't blame him for his tirade).

Old
01-16-2004, 08:00 AM
CNote
Get 'er done

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR-TOWN
ditto.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:50 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
All one has to do is listen to Roenick continue on with his rant against Bettman to understand that the league is biased against the Leafs. If Roenick played for the leafs he would have received 5 games by now. As Bill Watters says, Bettman is Sniders (Flyer's owner) boy. Surprise suprise he has been treated with Kid gloves. What would happen if Nolan carried on like Roenick ( who I agre with and don't blame him for his tirade).
Maybe I'm in the minority of Leaf fans when I say. "Good for JR". At least he has the balls to stand up to the NHL. Under the collective bargaining agreement, the NHL cannot suspend Roenick for his continued rant, only fine him $1000. Chump change for him and IMO, well worth it. Bettman really needs to take the basketball out of his ass and concentrate on hockey. So, a player speaks out against something the referees are doing all to often, and rightfully so. But Gary doesn't like his little sheep being tarnished, so he suspends JR for a game and ends up costing Roenick over $91K. That's not chump change. I really don't care what Watters said on the radio, he came off sounding like a fool with his "Alfie" rant and he sounded like a fool again claiming Bettman is nothing but a puppet for Snider and Jacobs.

You really need to get off this NHL vs. Toronto diatribe. It was only a few games ago that Barry Trotz and earlier Glenn Sather had claimed that Toronto had the refs in their pockets.

Old
01-16-2004, 08:58 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
Maybe I'm in the minority of Leaf fans when I say. "Good for JR". At least he has the balls to stand up to the NHL. Under the collective bargaining agreement, the NHL cannot suspend Roenick for his continued rant, only fine him $1000. Chump change for him and IMO, well worth it. Bettman really needs to take the basketball out of his ass and concentrate on hockey. So, a player speaks out against something the referees are doing all to often, and rightfully so. But Gary doesn't like his little sheep being tarnished, so he suspends JR for a game and ends up costing Roenick over $91K. That's not chump change. I really don't care what Watters said on the radio, he came off sounding like a fool with his "Alfie" rant and he sounded like a fool again claiming Bettman is nothing but a puppet for Snider and Jacobs.

You really need to get off this NHL vs. Toronto diatribe. It was only a few games ago that Barry Trotz and earlier Glenn Sather had claimed that Toronto had the refs in their pockets.
Good coaching trying to get an edge but the leafs lead the league in shorthanded penalties. I have no problem with JRs rant and in fact agree with him. My point is if a leaf went off on a rant they would be branded whiners and would have been suspended for 3 games not 1 game. I agree with Watters makes a good point as usual.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:04 AM
Dar

Send a message via MSN to Dar
Quote:
My point is if a leaf went off on a rant they would be branded whiners ...
No arguments on that, they already are.

Old
01-16-2004, 09:36 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
To: The Messenger, good point. I've dealt with a few conspiricy theory Leaf fans and others on the opposite, so consider my last post directed at the conspiricy theorists.

About the "whiners", from an outsiders view it seems to stem from Pat Quinn. He's done some serious whining in the past and had referees call games based on what he has whined about. It's gamesmanship, in general, but he is a big whiner all season long and it has affected the players as well I think. There is a lot of talent on that team but players who come there get on the bandwagon of blame the outside forces instead of facing up to it ourselves.

I don't have any inside info to back that up, it's just a theory based on things I've seen and read. I have nothing against the team, players, or fans (in general) but there is a pervasive "woe is me" attitude.

Old
01-16-2004, 10:54 AM
Charge_Seven

Now, is Roenick saying "The refs don't like Philadelphia" any worse than the Leaf players saying the refs don't like the Leafs? Or is it only ok for Roenick because he freaked out, and acted like a complete moron? I agree, that the Flyers do tend to get called unfairly, and I only see the Leafs/Flyers games, or Flyer playoff ones, but the Leafs get the exact same treatment in my eyes...except suspension wise.

Old
01-16-2004, 11:44 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar
No arguments on that, they already are.

But of course JR is not branded a whiner which is my point.

Old
01-16-2004, 11:52 AM
DanKordicsFist

vCash:
Quote:
But of course JR is not branded a whiner which is my point.
Plenty of people consider him a whiner. The difference is content. Leaf whiners present a woe is me rant. Roenick, while partially woe is me, had a lot to say about the state of the league that many have agreed with.

Old
01-16-2004, 12:43 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Plenty of people consider him a whiner. The difference is content. Leaf whiners present a woe is me rant. Roenick, while partially woe is me, had a lot to say about the state of the league that many have agreed with.
Also, while a lot of what Roenick said is about the league in general, the he and the Flyers have really pointed out several refs in general. Blaine Angus is def not liked in Philly, nor is McCreary, who has been critisized publicly by the team and particularly Recchi, who stated in a mid game interview that the team thinks most of the refs do a great job and feel comfortable with them, but they just dont feel comfortable with McCreary calling a game. A lot of the previous the stuff said about the leafs was because of the general, "O the league hates us" conspiracy theory things, while in this situation its more of a, there are crappy refs and the league isn't doing anything about it.

I don't necesarrily agree with the "o the league is screwing me" mentatlity Roenick has, but the league does pick out certain players, like Roenick and Tucker, and I think he is bringing that to attention.

Old
01-16-2004, 01:16 PM
wasting time

Quote:

Roenick has got that squirelly chip in his head that at least makes the game a little more interesting. No "keep my game simple" "just want to focus on my play with out the puck to contribute to the team" stuff from him.

Hockey needs more Tuckers, Roenicks, Hulls, Haseks, Belfour nut bars.

Closed Thread