HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's the Pens... Like We Expected Something Else?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2013, 10:19 PM
  #51
jBuds
pretty damn valuable
 
jBuds's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: NYC Suburbs
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 27,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
Accusing the head coach of 'doing nothing' to correct a perceived identity issue is folly. Frankly accusing a head coach of doing nothing about ANYTHING is folly. This is a young team with basically a rookie head coach that's trying to find their way a couple games into a season. Rolston may be making mistakes, and that's certainly a reasonable position to take. MOD
That's fair. I don't agree necessarily, but at least there's some girth to your opinion here

I don't think he has done "nothing". I just don't think he has done much right.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  #52
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,574
vCash: 500
This team is a mess in every facet of the game (except goaltending when Miller is in). Just..... yikes.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:24 PM
  #53
SackTastic
Embrace The Suck
 
SackTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,066
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
That's fair. I don't agree necessarily, but at least there's some girth to your opinion here

I don't think he has done "nothing". I just don't think he has done much right.
The first comment was in the middle of a sweet Saturday night conference call. That's all I had time for at that moment.

Ron Ron is learning just as much as some of these kids are. Nights like this are the growing pains that a very young team with not a ton of experience from the coach on down has.

It's going to be ugly, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. That's how a rebuild usually works.

Fans need to temper expectations and realize they're probably going to see a lot of games like tonight where they're just outmatched in talent. Rolston has to figure out how to make sure they at least give the effort top to bottom.

Until that happens nights like tonight will be the norm.

SackTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:26 PM
  #54
Better Call Saul
Registered User
 
Better Call Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
This team is a mess in every facet of the game (except goaltending when Miller is in). Just..... yikes.
Enroth was more than fine tonight.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:28 PM
  #55
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS
 
Stop Winnin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Buffalo
Posts: 8,587
vCash: 500
Is it too early to remake the 'Are the Buffalo Sabres the worst team in NHL history' thread?

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:29 PM
  #56
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Agreed. It's not on him that the team sucks because, well, the team sucks -- just look at the roster. However, he's done them no favors thus far with his line construction. I thought he'd have been a more analytical guy but he seems to possess Ruff's worst qualities, equating "trying hard" with being effective.

I thought Grigorenko looked pretty good tonight vs. my realistic expectations and has in every game. He's getting his stick on pucks and not getting left in the dust on plays. I can't say I'm not interested in seeing him center Vanek for a couple shifts.

Larsson and Girgensons are the heart of what they're building for. They won't be the best players, but they bring all the key attributes to the identity Darcy seems to be building towards. They were good out there.

Enroth had a strong game. He's looked good in all Sabres action thus far save for the first preseason (half-)game.

It's astounding how the light flicked off for Myers once the real season started.
Agree with this entire post.

Also, forgot to add:

Ott looks particularly uncoordinated this year. Haven't seen too many big hits either. What's up with him?

Passing was atrocious -- mostly on the receiving end. Maybe this will improve if some of these guys develop some chemistry.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:31 PM
  #57
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
The first comment was in the middle of a sweet Saturday night conference call. That's all I had time for at that moment.

Ron Ron is learning just as much as some of these kids are. Nights like this are the growing pains that a very young team with not a ton of experience from the coach on down has.

It's going to be ugly, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. That's how a rebuild usually works.

Fans need to temper expectations and realize they're probably going to see a lot of games like tonight where they're just outmatched in talent. Rolston has to figure out how to make sure they at least give the effort top to bottom.

Until that happens nights like tonight will be the norm.
True. However I feel that his preparations for 2 of 3 opponents thus far have missed the mark. His tactical approach and bench management has been pretty bad vis a vis Detroit and Pittsburg. There's more to this than mismatched talent, inexperience and youth. He needs to formulate a better game plan or think about changing advisors....


Last edited by littletonhockeycoach: 10-05-2013 at 10:40 PM.
littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:33 PM
  #58
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
The only good news in this game is that Enroth looked good, Larsson showed some promise, and Hodgson looked less invisible. Pysyk and Ehrhoff with +1's

Everything else was awful. I'm willing to cut them a little slack since they were probably tired after that run-and-gun-fest last night.

Myers-McBain was an absolute train wreck. One of the worst pairings I've ever seen. What happened to pre-season Myers? Was that just a tease? The score sheet says McBain blocked 5 shots - is that really correct? I definitely don't remember that.

Was it my imagination, or did RJ call somebody Rasmussen?

The Ugly: Well, they don't have Tyler Kennedy anymore, so I don't know -- Dupuis is kinda funny looking
RJ did indeed call Ristolainen "Rasmussen" on what was probably his first shift. It's easy to see where that mistake comes from, though. With Rob Ray by his side, we can't exactly criticize RJ here.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:37 PM
  #59
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
RJ did indeed call Ristolainen "Rasmussen" on what was probably his first shift. It's easy to see where that mistake comes from, though. With Rob Ray by his side, we can't exactly criticize RJ here.
Maybe Zadarov will be Varada

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:38 PM
  #60
Hit and Score
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
It's only three games. So I can't say I'm on a crusade to see him relieved of his duties just yet.

His awful deployment of a forecheck in game one was pitiful. His failure to capitalize on last change and get any - ANY - favorable matchups for us was alarming in the Ottawa game.

We see lines being juggled trying to find some chemistry, but this is a lot of flipping very early. He crucified his teams effort after the OTT game, yet the team captains were fine with the effort. He has the terse schtik with the media already, and frankly, as absurd as it sounds, he hasn't earned that right IMO.

We don't have anything consistent through three games. We can't point to one aspect of the team and say "at least we've successfully _______ through the first three losses"...

I'm just leaning more and more towards the proven guy than the upstart with minimal experience. I know it is early. I get it.
Killed penalties?

Hit and Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
  #61
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Agree with this entire post.

Also, forgot to add:

Ott looks particularly uncoordinated this year. Haven't seen too many big hits either. What's up with him?

Passing was atrocious -- mostly on the receiving end. Maybe this will improve if some of these guys develop some chemistry.
Ott has indeed looked "pure grinder" so far this season. I'm not upset by it, because ideally that's how you use him, but he hasn't showed much of the moderate skill we know he has. IMO it's not really on him, though. He's a guy whose ability comes out when the opportunity is at his feet. He'll dish a sweet pass or show nice finish when prime opportunity is created by more skilled players, else he plays a simple game and shows simple tools. If we were a contender he'd never sniff beyond the 3rd line without more than one injury piled up.

They should pull Ott (and maybe Stafford or Ennis) off the powerplay and replace him with Girgensons or Larsson and see how that works. Larsson plays a pretty simple game but he is above-average in his tools and has a very keen sense for no-nonsense playmaking.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:39 PM
  #62
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,040
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by littletonhockeycoach View Post
True. However I feel that his preparations to 2 of 3 opponents thus far have missed the mark. (His tactical approach and bench management has been pretty bad vis a vis Detroit and Pittsburg. There's more to this than mismatched talent, inexperience and youth. He needs to formulate a better game plan or think about changing advisors....)
This team needs more Ted Nolan.

I'm not panicking yet. I'm willing to give Rollie & Co. 20 games before I start forming a more solid opinion. I have to say that I was down on the Sacco hiring from day 1.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:44 PM
  #63
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
This team needs more Ted Nolan.

I'm not panicking yet. I'm willing to give Rollie & Co. 20 games before I start forming a more solid opinion. I have to say that I was down on the Sacco hiring from day 1.
You and me both brother!

Pretty sure it was Darcy who decided it was a good idea to pair a rookie coach with a rookie team. That means LOTS of growing pains.

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:45 PM
  #64
Hit and Score
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
This team needs more Ted Nolan.

I'm not panicking yet. I'm willing to give Rollie & Co. 20 games before I start forming a more solid opinion. I have to say that I was down on the Sacco hiring from day 1.
I always thought of Sacco as replacement #2 if Rolston really craps the bed. Sacco can't be absolutely horrible, he is a Jack Adams finalist

Hit and Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:51 PM
  #65
Better Call Saul
Registered User
 
Better Call Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 5,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit and Score View Post
Sacco can't be absolutely horrible, he is a Jack Adams finalist
You'd be surprised.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:55 PM
  #66
Kublakhan
Registered User
 
Kublakhan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
The Ugly: Well, they don't have Tyler Kennedy anymore, so I don't know -- Dupuis is kinda funny looking
I don't know but dude is friggen scary looking


Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:55 PM
  #67
Hit and Score
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 367
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
You'd be surprised.
Is he quarterbacking the powerplays? Because if so then I can definitely believe you.

Hit and Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:59 PM
  #68
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering
 
S319R11S16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 2,996
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5 Minute Major View Post
Yep.

Ott and Kaleta support that statement. Two instigators that have tried in years past to be spark plugs when the team needs a shot. That's not there this season.

Someone, ANYONE, needed to make a big hit, pick a fight, or just do a strip tease on the ice in an attempt to fire the team up tonight.

Instead? Well......we all witnessed that "effort".
Seems like Rolston has neutered them much like Ruff did with his guys after he was fined for the Ottawa brawl fest.

S319R11S16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:01 PM
  #69
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Seems like Rolston has neutered them much like Ruff did with his guys after he was fined for the Ottawa brawl fest.
There's no way that happened.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:13 PM
  #70
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,305
vCash: 500
It's hard to KNOW exactly what Rolston is all about yet. I feel he's like an architect/construction boss in a way. He needs, yes HE. NEEDS. to know the foundation is sound before building. He sees the foundation is not, therefore is stuck at getting the foundation sound before he does ANYTHING worth while. Fans hate it. They want to see a half built building. They want to see progress. But this is NYC ground zero a year after. A hole on the ground and progress is going to be slow. With many false starts.

Like a few others, I won't jump on the "Rolston sucks waaaaah" train until he has at least half a season under his belt. As silly as it may sound, the fact is he's learning too


Groooooowing pains

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:20 PM
  #71
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,706
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
It's hard to KNOW exactly what Rolston is all about yet. I feel he's like an architect/construction boss in a way. He needs, yes HE. NEEDS. to know the foundation is sound before building. He sees the foundation is not, therefore is stuck at getting the foundation sound before he does ANYTHING worth while. Fans hate it. They want to see a half built building. They want to see progress. But this is NYC ground zero a year after. A hole on the ground and progress is going to be slow. With many false starts.

Like a few others, I won't jump on the "Rolston sucks waaaaah" train until he has at least half a season under his belt. As silly as it may sound, the fact is he's learning too


Groooooowing pains
Please, unless Rolston is a borderline retard he knows his team has no legitimate shot at the playoffs. If "building a foundation" means playing Porter more than most every other forward, then all he's doing is trying (and failing) to scrape out wins so that he finishes 12th rather than 13th.

Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:25 PM
  #72
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit and Score View Post
I always thought of Sacco as replacement #2 if Rolston really craps the bed. Sacco can't be absolutely horrible, he is a Jack Adams finalist
Don't get me started on Sacco. A lot of what we are seeing from Rolston vis a vis WTF line combinations and mixed messages discipline is vintage Sacco. Disparaged Anderson until Andy wanted off the team. Greg frackin Zanon on defense? O'Reilly and Duchene moved from their natural positions to whatever combo Sacco thought would work at the moment. Eric Johnson regressing each season. Appointing a Captain clearly not ready for a leadership role. Losing control of the team such that his back up goaltender has to publically read the riot act to his teammates. A absolute joke of a power play - 3 years running.

Players couldn't leave Colorado fast enough. Three years of this crap and then the Sabres go and hire him.? OMG.

If he's the back up head coach, I begin to root for the Bruins. And I absolutely hate the Bruins.

(Hyperbole........ I'll never root for the Bruins... esp. against the Sabres!)

littletonhockeycoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:29 PM
  #73
slip
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
There's no way that happened.
On the contrary, Harrington just uncovered a team photo after some players met with RR to discuss the direction of the team. From left to right: Miller, Vanek, Stafford, and Leino.

(Although the back is turned, erotic dancer is believed to be Milan Lucic.)


slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
  #74
sjci
Registered User
 
sjci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 313
@TSNBobMcKenzie 2m
Is this good time to say, based on purely anecdotal experience, what often happens in 1st two weeks of reg season not indicative of reality?

@TSNBobMcKenzie 49s
Again, not scientific, but my rule: Pay no attention to 1st 2 weeks of season, but 3 weeks is a trend and after 4 weeks? Book it. Just IMO.

sjci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:49 PM
  #75
Zman5778
Registered User
 
Zman5778's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cressona/Reading, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Zman5778 Send a message via MSN to Zman5778 Send a message via Yahoo to Zman5778
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I thought Grigorenko looked pretty good tonight vs. my realistic expectations and has in every game. He's getting his stick on pucks and not getting left in the dust on plays.
I noticed that tonight -- he has this uncanny knack for just having his stick in the right place at the right time to deflect pucks.

And he's typically in the right place defensively most of the time.

He just needs to add strength to win some battles......and not having the recipient of his passes be robbed blind would help too.

Zman5778 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.