HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

October 5, 2013| Flyers 1 at Canadiens 4

Old
10-05-2013, 10:53 PM
Jtown

vCash: 500
I really think they are giving Mez these minutes so that they can showcase him.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:56 PM
Winston Wolf

I wish Holmgren could ship out Coburn (retaining salary if he has to) for a young defenseman like Jake Gardiner.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 10:56 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I really think they are giving Mez these minutes so that they can showcase him.
Not a very smart plan

If this continues we'll be lucky to get a 7th for this 5.5 million dollar jackass

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:05 PM
AaronTrieu

The fans tune lavy out. It's only a matter of time before the players. The system sucks. The shelf life of coaches isn't what it used to be. And that's not abnormal. Look at your current job and who has been there for more than 5 years? I love lavy, but the players stopped responding.

AaronTrieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:06 PM
tooncesmeow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
They're a well made team. Elite goal scorer in Kessel, elite (as far as young developing players go) young guy, some nice complementary scoring, a true number one D (even if he's not higher tier), and possibly the best goalie tandem in the league (though the long-term ramifications of that are yet to be seen). Very balanced lineup.
Hi hello was mostly lurking for opinions on Luke (wanted to see how he did post-Toronto since he seemed like he needed less of a spotlight)

This post is really wrong, want to know why? Toronto has 11 players signed for next year (8F [2 goons], 2D [a 2nd pairing guy and a bottom pairing guy], and 1 goalie [Bernier]) they have 22M to sign Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson (3 of our top 4), Reimer (our incumbent #1), our entire 3rd line, 4th line center, and certain prospects coming off ELC's.

Toronto is going to drop off and Nonis is too dumb to manage to sell off what he needs to for decent picks before its too late. Didn't mean to de-rail, just chipped in.

tooncesmeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Good: Sports aren't that important in the grand scheme of life
Bad: I just paid $110 for Hockey Streams
Ugly: GDT's and Post GDT's

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:24 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
It's crazy that Gus isn't in. Have Gus , Kimmo and Streit on separate lines, gives us some sort of puck movement. Gross and Mezz together is a disaster. That 8 mill bottom pairing that is awful.
Yea you'd think gus would fit perfect with us. There will obviously be some big changes after tonight in the line up.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:30 PM
GingerFetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Good: Sports aren't that important in the grand scheme of life
Bad: I just paid $110 for Hockey Streams
Ugly: GDT's and Post GDT's
Stole the words out of my mouth.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Primary Assist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Good: Read and Vinny. Lather, rinse, repeat
Bad: How much time do you have?
Ugly: People acting like Pronger would make a difference.
No, but Aaron Ekblad certainly would.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-05-2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Fixed quote material
Primary Assist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:44 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooncesmeow View Post
Hi hello was mostly lurking for opinions on Luke (wanted to see how he did post-Toronto since he seemed like he needed less of a spotlight)

This post is really wrong, want to know why? Toronto has 11 players signed for next year (8F [2 goons], 2D [a 2nd pairing guy and a bottom pairing guy], and 1 goalie [Bernier]) they have 22M to sign Phaneuf, Gardiner, Franson (3 of our top 4), Reimer (our incumbent #1), our entire 3rd line, 4th line center, and certain prospects coming off ELC's.

Toronto is going to drop off and Nonis is too dumb to manage to sell off what he needs to for decent picks before its too late. Didn't mean to de-rail, just chipped in.
I was obviously talking in the context of this season only.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:47 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
I wish Holmgren could ship out Coburn (retaining salary if he has to) for a young defenseman like Jake Gardiner.
I kind of agree with this. I was a huge Coburn defender for a long time but man he has regressed so much these past two seasons. He is a hard guy to figure out.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 11:49 PM
BernieParent

My Rant (you can capitalize mundane words, too, when they refer to a blog) from tonight's game.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:19 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Flyers breakout = Make blind pass through the middle of the ice or clear the puck out of the zone.

Seriously, why can't anyone make a good pass?

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Devastate

I think it's a little early to panic, there's obviously PLENTY of year left.

With that being said, this team has looked really bad since the first period of the Toronto game.

Devastate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I kind of agree with this. I was a huge Coburn defender for a long time but man he has regressed so much these past two seasons. He is a hard guy to figure out.
He needs a change of scenery to salvage his career potential as much as anyone in the league right now. He has absolutely zero confidence with the puck. How many times did he blatantly skate in offsides tonight? At least three times from what I saw. He looked like a deer in the headlights. He had plenty of time and space to peel off each time, but he just kind of froze and kept on skating in anyways. I know it was a 5 on 3, but the worst was not even trying to get in between Gallagher and the net. If he can't play with the puck any longer, he's completely redundant with Schenn and Grossmann on the team. At least Schenn and Grossmann are physical and can get nasty, which Coburn usually avoids at all costs. I like that Schenn gave Eller a vicious crosscheck in front of the net, which is something I haven't seen Coburn do in ages.

As bad as he's been, I'm sure he still holds good value around the league, as the GMs are an old Canadian boy's club and love big Western Canadian defensemen like Coburn. I think Holmgren tried his best to move him in the offseason, but he just didn't get a package he liked enough.

Beyond Coburn, this whole team needs to do passing drills until they're blue in the face. The passing has been terrible and sloppy, but the inability to receive clean passes has also been alarming. Simmonds is especially bad. It seems he can't control any puck unless the pass is very soft or he's stationary.

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:53 AM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Beyond Coburn, this whole team needs to do passing drills until they're blue in the face. The passing has been terrible and sloppy, but the inability to receive clean passes has also been alarming. Simmonds is especially bad. It seems he can't control any puck unless the pass is very soft or he's stationary.
Exactly. Watching other teams play and seeing them breakout of their own zone with no problem, it just makes you wonder why the Flyers have such a hard time. What does this team do in practice?

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:36 AM
BillDineen

Good: Vinny is guess
Bad: Refs
Ugly: 80 more games of potential disappointment to go

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:59 AM
OzFlyers
Registered Boozer

So we are fireing Lavi and Homer, ripping the C from Giroux (who is overrated) and bringing in lots of fighters... am I doing this right?

OzFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:44 AM

It's two games into the season and i'm already as flat as any time last season. We're going absolutely nowhere and I genuinely can't see how this team is going to beat anyone, let alone enough teams to make the play-offs.

I mean, it's like the off-season never happened. This is just a continuation of the worst parts of last season.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:51 AM
UKFlyers

Couldn't watch the on-demand stream from Hockeystreams AGAIN so I had to watch a condensed version. Not a great start to the year, and you can already see the parallels from last year.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:36 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
There is a lot to like about Homer, I just wish we had a GM that operated on a time horion longer than 6 months. It doesn't seem like Holmgren's ever going to be that guy.

The more I see the more I am convinced that Laviolette is a fantastic coach for wringing the absolute most out of an experienced group of hockey players. I'm not sure he's as good a teacher as he is a motivator though, which is why I think his results with this team are not on par with his results with the team he had when he got here.

I don't know how you fix it all though. Obviously new people brought in, fine. But does that mean taking a step back before a step forward?

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
Exactly. Watching other teams play and seeing them breakout of their own zone with no problem, it just makes you wonder why the Flyers have such a hard time. What does this team do in practice?
It's not the passing, it's because there is no support for the puck. They are too spread out so the D have to hit a guy with a rocket pass the length or width of the rink every time. The other teams just wait and pick them off or the pass is so hard it goes off the receiver's stick and over the glass.

That is all just horrible coaching. We have the worst system in the league, and you cam tell the players don't believe in it - they never seem to know where they should be, who their man is or why.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:03 AM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
It's not the passing, it's because there is no support for the puck. They are too spread out so the D have to hit a guy with a rocket pass the length or width of the rink every time. The other teams just wait and pick them off or the pass is so hard it goes off the receiver's stick and over the glass.

That is all just horrible coaching. We have the worst system in the league, and you cam tell the players don't believe in it - they never seem to know where they should be, who their man is or why.
Agreed. If they lose 2day, does a Lavy get fired?

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Curufinwe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
So we are fireing Lavi and Homer, ripping the C from Giroux (who is overrated) and bringing in lots of fighters... am I doing this right?
Everyone wants Rosehill out and a real third liner for this team. No one wants more fighters.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:03 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Everyone wants Rosehill out and a real third liner for this team. No one wants more fighters.
Exactly. Dropping Talbot back to the 4th would be huge if we can grab a solid third line winger.

Rosehill works as a scratch, since he can play actual hockey a bit unlike Shelley and could fit in as a 7th D in an emergency...but there's no way we should be icing him regularly.

Even though our younger guys didn't look great in preseason, someone else needs to come up to push Talbot back down a line. Wish we had access to pre-injury McGinn.

Zod is offline   Reply With Quote