HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

It's the Pens... Like We Expected Something Else?

Old
10-06-2013, 12:12 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Agree with this entire post.

Also, forgot to add:

Ott looks particularly uncoordinated this year. Haven't seen too many big hits either. What's up with him?

Passing was atrocious -- mostly on the receiving end. Maybe this will improve if some of these guys develop some chemistry.
Noticed this too but couldn't put my finger on it. He looks.... Off.

Uncoordinated is a fair label at this time IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SackTastic View Post
The first comment was in the middle of a sweet Saturday night conference call. That's all I had time for at that moment.

Ron Ron is learning just as much as some of these kids are. Nights like this are the growing pains that a very young team with not a ton of experience from the coach on down has.

It's going to be ugly, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. That's how a rebuild usually works.

Fans need to temper expectations and realize they're probably going to see a lot of games like tonight where they're just outmatched in talent. Rolston has to figure out how to make sure they at least give the effort top to bottom.

Until that happens nights like tonight will be the norm.
It'll definitely be ugly. My concern is that with such an empty roster, every move he does or doesn't make is crucial. I was upset with the Detroit gameplan, and he looked the part of a rookie coach versus Ottawa.

I'm trying so hard to be patient. But the first three games we've seen some questionable tactics from our coach.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:26 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Visiting Pens fan just wanted to point to the, IMO, two biggest problems on your team in this one. Not to gloat, just an observation.
1: defensive zone coverage was some of the worst I've seen since the loopy Pens-Philly series of the years ago. Teams don't have to have all super stars to play competent structured D. New Jersey, hardly a fantastic group of D-men there, kept this Pens team without ONE single sustained cycle/offensive zone time the other night. You didn't seem to have structure.
2: worst of all, who genuinely cared other than McCormick and if course Enroth who prevented a blowout. The Larsson kid maybe.

Anyway, Vanek has hands, gotta give him that!

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:30 AM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
Visiting Pens fan just wanted to point to the, IMO, two biggest problems on your team in this one. Not to gloat, just an observation.
1: defensive zone coverage was some of the worst I've seen since the loopy Pens-Philly series of the years ago. Teams don't have to have all super stars to play competent structured D. New Jersey, hardly a fantastic group of D-men there, kept this Pens team without ONE single sustained cycle/offensive zone time the other night. You didn't seem to have structure.
2: worst of all, who genuinely cared other than McCormick and if course Enroth who prevented a blowout. The Larsson kid maybe.

Preach it brother.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Kublakhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post

cant argue with the Chinaman, he speaks the truth..

Kublakhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kublakhan View Post
cant argue with the Chinaman, he speaks the truth..
Dude... your valued rug

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:16 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Revenge is so eek.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:39 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Ugly:
Pens announcers non-stop ragging on Myers. Would think Myers had made disparaging comments about the dude's daughter the way they were going after him.
Yeah, I'll apologize on Bob's behalf over the way he called that game. I thought the 5 minute rant about Ristolainen for blowing one assignment was even worse. Guy's an 18 year old D, Bob--he isn't gonna be perfect all the time by game 3 in this league.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:41 AM
Kyndig86

They didn't even seem like they were trying at all. They were slow and lost nearly every battle for the puck. There was only one real check the entire game that I could remember. They tried their damnedest to beat Ottawa and coach bashes them for having "no effort"...i wonder if this is in response to that or if thats how he wants them to play lmao, full tank mode!

Kyndig86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:03 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Its a little scary how bad they are right now since Vanek, Miller, and Stafford are still here. Does the team improve without them this year? Yikes. Bring on top 3 pick.

The biggest disappointment so far is that this team looks so outclassed in the D zone.

I expected scoring to be a problem since our best scorers really struggled with Rolston at head coach, all their numbers dropped.

Our GM should be working the phones right now and keep working them until those 3 players are moved out. Wait for the best deal, but he should be trying to trade them now. This team is so far away, even further than I thought.

Last edited by SabresAreScaryGood: 10-06-2013 at 02:12 AM.
SabresAreScaryGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:23 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
Please, unless Rolston is a borderline retard he knows his team has no legitimate shot at the playoffs. If "building a foundation" means playing Porter more than most every other forward, then all he's doing is trying (and failing) to scrape out wins so that he finishes 12th rather than 13th.
Woah! Slow down sparky

I am saying nothing about playoffs or that Rons thinking about playoffs. I am not saying Ron thinks playing Porter equals the foundation mindset.

I'll attempt again. I guess my wacky explanation isn't clear. It's just a thought, a guess, nothing I'm married to. Speculation all day long...

Rolston by all accounts is a good teacher/developer of youth. Once he has his belief system in place, once he has his team buying into his teachings, once he feels the foundation he preaches is being executed well.... He then feels he can move on to bigger picture concepts. Move on to harder strategies, game plans. Basically pushing his team to develop beyond the foundation he's laid out and taught. Well, I think HE NEEDS to know the foundation is sound before trying to build on it. Maybe currently, he sees this team, with all the new faces (players, coaches etc..) as not successfully executing the foundation he's trying to teach. Therefore he hasn't been able to build beyond it. 3 losses with the most basic of concepts and strategy unable to be done by most of the players must drive him nuts.

Again, just a thought. Or I guess taking the "oh he just simply sucks" opinion is an option too. Stripped down, and shallow, but it is something to consider I guess

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:27 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

And what is up with Darcy's recent bad luck with contracts? Its like long-term deals from Darcy just immediately reduce the players play. Does Pegula ever sit there and wonder why we gave someone a long-term deal? Maybe its not even recent bad luck, if I think about it hard enough, its probably always been the case.

If you take away hope and potential from Regier's resume, he has been down right terrible as a GM since probably the briere and Drury trades which was when, 2003?

Old
10-06-2013, 02:32 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
And what is up with Darcy's recent bad luck with contracts? Its like long-term deals from Darcy just immediately reduce the players play. Does Pegula ever sit there and wonder why we gave someone a long-term deal? Maybe its not even recent bad luck, if I think about it hard enough, its probably always been the case.

If you take away hope and potential from Regier's resume, he has been down right terrible as a GM since probably the briere and Drury trades which was when, 2003?
Three games in since Hodgson's contract extension was signed and we are calling it a dud?

Old
10-06-2013, 02:36 AM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Three games in since Hodgson's contract extension was signed and we are calling it a dud?
No, it's just another twist to slam Regier. You know his schtick.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:39 AM
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Im not even going to argue anymore about Regier, if you dont agree with me fine, but at some point results have to mean something. I see as I go, if things change I will say it. Im not afraid to say Im wrong about something, but things keep on going on the same path.

Tell me what is different? I just see a bad GM who has supporters that live off of hope and potential every single year which makes the GM bulletproof. When he trades Vanek and Miller 3 months from now we get even more hope and potential.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:46 AM
schpaff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
It's hard to KNOW exactly what Rolston is all about yet. I feel he's like an architect/construction boss in a way. He needs, yes HE. NEEDS. to know the foundation is sound before building. He sees the foundation is not, therefore is stuck at getting the foundation sound before he does ANYTHING worth while. Fans hate it. They want to see a half built building. They want to see progress. But this is NYC ground zero a year after. A hole on the ground and progress is going to be slow. With many false starts.

Like a few others, I won't jump on the "Rolston sucks waaaaah" train until he has at least half a season under his belt. As silly as it may sound, the fact is he's learning too

Groooooowing pains

Slap

schpaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:36 AM
msm29
Was htsportplaya

My apologies if this comes across as the drunk ramblings of a guy coming home from the bar at 4:30 a.m.

The worst thing about this season so far? This team has no identity.

It's been an issue since 06-07. Most of the Cup contenders can be pigeon-holed into one group (PIT/CHI-offensive, BOS-physical, LA/STL-defensive, etc.). What are the Sabres, or what are they trying to be?

That's the biggest problem for me right now. If the young kids on this team (Grigs, Girgs, etc) are the ones expected to lead this franchise to a Cup, Rolston and co. need to decide what type of team they want. If you want to be a physical team, demand that of the young players now. Want to play defense? Make them make a commitment.

This team doesn't hit, doesn't prevent goals and doesn't get chances. I'm no expert, but those three things feel like the most basic styles of play. Where exactly is this thing headed?

msm29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:40 AM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Im not even going to argue anymore about Regier, if you dont agree with me fine, but at some point results have to mean something. I see as I go, if things change I will say it. Im not afraid to say Im wrong about something, but things keep on going on the same path.

Tell me what is different? I just see a bad GM who has supporters that live off of hope and potential every single year which makes the GM bulletproof. When he trades Vanek and Miller 3 months from now we get even more hope and potential.
*Puts on agenda goggles* ahhh, it's all so clear now!!!!

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:19 AM
Wisent42

Good:
- Vanek with half of all our goals

Bad:
- Vanek has half of all our goals

Ugly:
- Vanek's one goal is half of all our goals

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:26 AM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Good:
- Vanek with half of all our goals

Bad:
- Vanek has half of all our goals

Ugly:
- Vanek's one goal is half of all our goals
This team has only one goal...Draft as high as possible in 2014.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:04 AM
Wisent42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26CornerBlitz View Post
This team has only one goal...Draft as high as possible in 2014.
Sure, I wouldn't mind Aaron Ekblad, but I'll never be OK with tanking.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:21 AM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
So far, they are one thing: boring.
I don't ever recall it being this bad. These games are unwatachable for me.

I thought the "compete" level would be much higher, even if we still weren't very good or winning very much.

It's not appreciably better than last year, which says a lot.

And as an aside, I have decided what you see is what you get with Myers.

I'm ready to move him along while the opportunity still exists to do so while getting something big in return. The window of opportunity on that is closing.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Royisgone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer View Post
G: Enroth and Larsson

B: Everybody else

U: I can't believe this team can't pass the puck, they also look slow as *uck

This is all Regier's doing - these are his draft picks, Myers,Stafford, Ennis, Grigorenko - these are his signings - Ehrhoff, Leino - his trades - Hodgson, his coach - Rolston. How he's trusted to do a rebuild of a horrid team he put together is the definition of insanity.
Yes, this. Unfortunately it's going to take several years to get rid of Regier. Then we start over with a new GM, which is what we should have done a few years ago. In the meantime, we endure years worth of the worst Sabres hockey I can recall.

Royisgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:34 AM
26CornerBlitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisent42 View Post
Sure, I wouldn't mind Aaron Ekblad, but I'll never be OK with tanking.
They won't tank...It's just going to be a very very painful year...especially post Vanek and Miller should they be dealt.

26CornerBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Clock

I think this team is still figuring out its identity and gelling. There are lots of moving parts here. I'm not trying to preach patience, but I think it's realistically going to take some time to see what we have here.

Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:19 AM
Lassa

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanboySlayer* View Post
G: Enroth and Larsson
Need more Swedes?

Can anyone let me know what the actual lines were, I can see Grigs was on the 4th but who was shifted and to where? Why only one faceoff for Larsson?

Lassa is offline   Reply With Quote