HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly Looks Ready

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2013, 06:08 AM
ScotsLeaf

vCash: 500
Only one game but he looked calm and poised with quick recovery powers.

Looking good so far.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:23 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Not a bad first showing by Reilly tonight. He has a bright future!

Old
10-06-2013, 11:28 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

Got caught up in team wide sloppy play last night. Looked more comfortable as the game went on. Kudos to Carlyle for not limiting his ice time...took a regular shift. Showed flashes of what we can expect on a night to night basis. Love when he rushes, shows great vision, patience and poise. Just a matter of time with him. Opening night jitters out of the way, we can expect to see his true game sooner than later.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:33 AM
Zybalto

Never thought I would say this after last nights game but I feel bad for Rielly having to play with Franson who probably had his worst game as a leaf in recent memory. Rielly finishes -3 but not directly due to bad play on his part. He played better than Ranger for the most part and Ranger was +2 so go figure.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:37 AM
leafsfuture

This much is clear: If he keeps playing like that, he will never see another game in the WHL.

His ability to counterattack really impressed me. Not because I didnt think him capable of it, but because of how well he has transitioned to pro. Remember when Kadri first came up and struggled to find the time and place to use his skills, well Morgan seems to have that ability

Biggest concern going forward: him playing odd-man rushes, like 3 on 2's

Old
10-06-2013, 11:42 AM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post
This much is clear: If he keeps playing like that, he will never see another game in the WHL.

His ability to counterattack really impressed me. Not because I didnt think him capable of it, but because of how well he has transitioned to pro. Remember when Kadri first came up and struggled to find the time and place to use his skills, well Morgan seems to have that ability

He had two 3 on 2 rushes and played both text book.....both were when he was the puck side D man....same as the two on one against.

The puck side D man on an odd man rush has to play the man with the intent of forcing a pass....which he did both times on the 3 on 2 against....and on the two on one....take away the pass which he did.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:48 AM
OptimusForever
#teambernier

I think on the two on one he played he could've taken a little more room away from the shooter. if that was a confident shooter he could have walked in and done whatever he wanted.

other than that, no complaints from me. seemed like a really solid game for a rookie! Good job Rielly!!

Old
10-06-2013, 11:50 AM
crump
~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

The only weakness I see in his defensive game is definitely collapsing to the net during a rush, he doesn't always commit to either the shooter or the pass and sometimes ends up just watching the play to its conclusion. I may be wrong, but I have seen him do it a few times in the world juniors and now at this level. Minor nitpick though, the guy is going to be awesome.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:51 AM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 72
Correction: Morgan Rielly IS ready

Old
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 892
Rielly looked great last night IMO, his shifts seemed limited in the first period, and halfway through the 2nd he got more TOI, in the 3rd I thought he was really good.

Him and Gardiner both seemed to be reigned in a bit, but they still looked good (just not as offensive).

Franson, Gunnarson, and Ranger were below-average (especially Ranger).

Old
10-06-2013, 11:53 AM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I thought Rielly played well but was a -3

I thought Ranger played OK at best, but was a +2

I am not a fan of the +/- stat

Old
10-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

vCash: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post

Ranger played very bad IMO, the guy beside me at the game was constantly *****ing at him and he was right to.... He gave the puck away far too much.

Edit: Too add to that, I think what really hurt him was his first pass/clearing attempts.... His positioning was pretty good for the most part and he was decently physical.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:01 PM
diceman934

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
The only weakness I see in his defensive game is definitely collapsing to the net during a rush, he doesn't always commit to either the shooter or the pass and sometimes ends up just watching the play to its conclusion. I may be wrong, but I have seen him do it a few times in the world juniors and now at this level. Minor nitpick though, the guy is going to be awesome.
On even man rushes he played the man, on odd man rushes he played them well....on 3 on 2 being the puck side D man.....you want to force the pass to the man in middle ice if there is no depth on the 3 on 2.....which was both last night as the non puckside D man has to take the man coming down main street. He played these well.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:21 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Could Rielly be the next captain after Phaneuf? I know it's early to say, but I think he has captain written all over him.

And we've reached a new level of homerism.

The kid played very well but was far from perfect (4 giveaways).

I wasn't impressed with the amount of space he gave the Ottawa forwards when they were entering our zone or the turnovers at the Ottawa blue line.

Lot's to improve on.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:22 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Saw a little bit of the prototypical Rielly towards the end of the game, a few times where he really started to attack the offensive end. With Moose Jaw it's pretty much a norm to see Morgan do that on a shift by shift basis. He still has a lot of work to do at this level, but atleast there are flashes.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:23 PM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post
He had two 3 on 2 rushes and played both text book.....both were when he was the puck side D man....same as the two on one against.

The puck side D man on an odd man rush has to play the man with the intent of forcing a pass....which he did both times on the 3 on 2 against....and on the two on one....take away the pass which he did.
He also had a 3on2 where he was the weak side d-man and he cheated on the pass to Neil, which allowed the Sen to come in on Reimer untouched. That 3on2 and some panic rims were the biggest mistakes I saw from him.

He played the 2on1 very well and had some nice outs throughout the game.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:31 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by diceman934 View Post

His positioning on the two-on-one was strange. He started off chasing the puck carrier, but recovered, and held the passing lane. He played it right, but it took him a minute. But that's something that's only going to get better with experience.

Old
10-06-2013, 12:32 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazem Gretzky View Post

Exactly. It's hilarious over on the prospects board with the amount of box score scouts feeling smug about his -3 when in reality he had a better game than just about every other defensemen besides Dion

Old
10-06-2013, 01:41 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafsfuture View Post

I'm not sure about this.

At first I thought he was playing them badly, but then since he did the same thing every time I started to think he was using his great skating to do something that few dmen can....pretend like he's challenging the puck carrier on the 3-on-2, lure him into making the pass to try and spring the 2-on-1, and then just glide back and defend the resulting 2-on-2.

That seemed to be what he was doing to me, at least....though maybe I'm just thinking too positively.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:12 PM
tobra

he is not ready

Old
10-06-2013, 02:18 PM
veedubn1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobra View Post
he is not ready
Great post.

Compelling and rich.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Raging Bull

He looked as expected, tentative to start the game and more comfortable late in the second and in the third period. Some mistakes were made, easily correctable ones, and he used his speed great jumping into the rush several times in the third. Thought he did pretty well for himself all things considered, being his first NHL game @ a home opener in a very loud atmosphere against a good divisional opponent.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by crump View Post
I noticed this too. Luckily, it is easy to fix these sort of things.

Also during the cycle, he often watches the opposing player without taking the man or blocking the pass/shot (Cowen to Turris goal).

Definitely needs some work on how to neutralize an attack. Gunnar/Phaneuf should be able to show him how its done.

When the puck is on his stick though, the poise, decision making, effortless movement, vision and passing, its a thing of beauty.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:38 PM
hullsy47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post
I noticed this too. Luckily, it is easy to fix these sort of things.

Also during the cycle, he often watches the opposing player without taking the man or blocking the pass/shot (Cowen to Turris goal).

Definitely needs some work on how to neutralize an attack. Gunnar/Phaneuf should be able to show him how its done.

When the puck is on his stick though, the poise, decision making, effortless movement, vision and passing, its a thing of beauty.
junior hockey is a step backwards ....he ll learn tons more practicing ith the leafs than back in whl ,,,,,,minus 3 none were his fault ,,,

Old
10-06-2013, 02:43 PM
Duffman955

Quote:
Originally Posted by hullsy47 View Post
junior hockey is a step backwards ....he ll learn tons more practicing ith the leafs than back in whl ,,,,,,minus 3 none were his fault ,,,
Let him play the full 9 games and see where he is at. If he plays like he did in the 3rd, keep him up.

If he plays under-par, Let him play 30+mins in the WHL, make him work on D-zone coverage and dominate in the WJC's

Closed Thread