Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the attendance in the OHL declining

Old
10-06-2013, 04:25 PM
mouse 29

vCash: 500
That's why as much as some fans complain, the CHL just wants to get the best players in the league. They don't care which teams get them as long as they get them. Good point Mk!!

But to clarify, you are saying the best NA players available even though they may not be the best JR players. Good talent gets better playing against good talent.

Last edited by mouse 29: 10-06-2013 at 06:14 PM.
mouse 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
etr102

Quote:
Originally Posted by may know View Post
Windsor - Another big dropper. Huge crowds when the new rink opened which corresponded to their Memorial Cup run year. But team hasn't been as good, complaints about ownership from some fans, game day changes, local economy being hit, attendance has gone down from 6200 to below 5000.
First of all, good post. Nice of you to take the time to type that up.

I agree with pretty much every thing you say except for about Windsor's economy. Back when Windsor's attendance was at an all time high, our economy had reached rock bottom. Back around 2008-2009 was when the big 3 automakers were declaring bankruptcy and the media was eating it up writing stories about how a city on hard times finally has something to cheer about.

In reality, we had a beautiful brand new arena and a team that was so good it was ridiculous. Hall, Henrique, Nemisz, Ellis, Kassian, etc. Any fan waiting for that magic to happen again will probably never see it in their lifetime.

Windsor's economy is now substantially better but attendance is dropping for 4 reasons in my opinion.

1) The 'new car smell' is gone from the arena
2) Performance On Ice
3) Rising ticket prices (back when the teams I mentioned above were around, tickets were about $16. Now they expect fans to pay $21 for a product that doesn't even compare to the glory years).
4) Everybody has Tiger fever right now. Once Baseball is done, we should see a small increase attendance but there's no way it will reach 6200+ like a few years ago.

etr102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Mcnotloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Niagara is still selling out or having near sell out. I can see it dropping off a bit with a poor team, but it sounds like things are going great for the new arena sales. Seasons tickets are at high demand, and the box seats are sold out for the next 5+ years.

Despite having arguably the worst economy, Niagara is well off. 300,000+ in a region with lots of hockey history. The owners are great. They get it. The know how to run a team. The sit in the stands every single game, and talk to the fans. They're very passionate about the team

Mcnotloilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:57 PM
IcemanTBI

Attendance in the Sault hasn't been too bad the last few years. It has dipped a bit, but the biggest factor for that was a poor product on the ice and a lack of any playoff success for ages. It looks like the ship is starting to turn around now though, so attendance should get better.

IcemanTBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 04:22 PM
StormSurge9

The Guelph Storm actually posted an article on there website about attendance. Through the first 4 home games, they are up 246 per game from last season, when record attendance was set.

http://www.guelphstorm.com/article/e...ff-the-ice-too

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 04:34 PM
etr102

Not completely related to the topic of this thread, but I wanted to ask here rather than starting a new thread.

Does anybody know the last time an OHL Game's announced attendance was under 1000?

etr102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 04:56 PM
krazy kanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
I recall discussing this with you last year, and you mentioning that it's tough for you to get to the border very early from Barrie, which is understandable.
Understood...in this case I stayed at my brother's house, so we were on the first tunnel bus over and the first back after the game. 1.5 hours each way...yes, the customs stuff you speak of was part of the issue. It's the first time I've ever taken the bus, I usually just drive over and park (but it starts at $30 for the Lions...I didn't see any $8 parking) because I'm a convenience over cost guy. But I live in Alberta now (still have my Lions seasons tickets) so I had a rental and driving over wasn't an option.

Like I think I said last year, yourself and my brother seem to be peas in a pod...but I too have been to many (not as many you, I'll concede), still, over 100 sporting events in Detroit over the years (all Lions and Tigers) and I've never had it be a quick process.

At a minimum, I don't think it can be expected that it will be speedy.

krazy kanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-03-2013, 09:04 PM
OSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by etr102 View Post
Not completely related to the topic of this thread, but I wanted to ask here rather than starting a new thread.

Does anybody know the last time an OHL Game's announced attendance was under 1000?

Likely at some point when the St. Michael's Majors were still in Toronto

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Hfbid

If a kid, local kid could draw 100-500 more each home game would that make a difference on selecting draft choices and should it.

Hfbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 04:36 PM
OHLTG

I think that depends on how justified the team is in picking him. For instance...

If there's a local Windsor kid who's rated rounds 5-6, but Windsor selects him higher just to say they grabbed a local kid in a high slot, then that's not right.

On the other hand, if the kid is rated rounds 1-2, and is taken at that point, sure, why not? If he's talented and can draw, that's a bonus. I know drafting local kids, or local ties at least, are common in the later rounds.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:03 PM
RayzorIsDull

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHLTG View Post
I think that depends on how justified the team is in picking him. For instance...

If there's a local Windsor kid who's rated rounds 5-6, but Windsor selects him higher just to say they grabbed a local kid in a high slot, then that's not right.

On the other hand, if the kid is rated rounds 1-2, and is taken at that point, sure, why not? If he's talented and can draw, that's a bonus. I know drafting local kids, or local ties at least, are common in the later rounds.
Would you rather have selected Taylor Hall in 07 or Zack Kassian in 07?

RayzorIsDull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 05:38 PM
OHLTG

We needed Hall more than Kassian at the time.

OHLTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
youngblood10

Building a winning team will draw bigger crowds then relying on a local kid to bring his family & friends.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-04-2013, 08:16 PM
saska sault

I have noticed the Hounds attendance dropping... we had more fans 3-5 years ago when we were dead last it seemed then last year as a playoff team and this year and we are 12-2... Part of it I believe is the Essar Centre novelty has worn off, always get a lot of new fans in any new arena because its the new shiny toy in town. Also, we have not had the most competitive team lately... that seems to be turning around, but the economy doesnt help. Unfortunately I switched to shift work and after being a season ticket holder since the age of 10 (14 years)... I now make it too 4-5 games a year... thank god for hockey forums.

saska sault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 1963
OHL marketing departments are pretty bad imo. They reek of people being given jobs they networked rather than earned.

Anyways, minor hockey is pretty big in Mississauga but the location of the hockey arena is quite unfortunate. It's a big city in comparison to places like Windsor or Guelph and they put the arena in the middle of a bunch of warehouses. There are no restaurants or any attractions within walking distance there. There's also no real bus service, there is a bus that runs in front of the arena but ironically it doesn't run in the evening at certian times including some of those 7 PM starts. If they'd put the arena in the west side of the city or near the downtown or somewhere more accessible then it wouldn't have been as much of an issue. Also, the on-ice product is not the most fun to watch, team has had a defensive mentality for years under two different coaches.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 08:18 AM
cup of joe

Style of play has a lot to do with attendance. Good teams play to win (aggressive, action), weaker teams play not to lose (safe,boring). Good hockey fans want a good game regardless. The new building affect wears off over time, to keep those fans you need good entertaining product that creates passion for fans. Marketing the players in the communities helps build a connection with the team.

cup of joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2013, 11:27 AM
jayme2017

As with Ottawa there are 3 main factors since last march Ottawa has had 16,500 public sector lay offs another huge factor is there is massive construction around the city its to hard to get around the last factor is the location of the rink.

jayme2017 is offline   Reply With Quote