HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Old
10-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1263
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
They did announce it at over 28,000.
Looking in the stands, I would have guessed lower.
that's pretty sad. perfect weather for football. shows how far the esks have drove the team into the ditch.

the esks just didn't even attempt to compete. I don't blame people for not attending the games as it has been many years since there was any good eskimo football to watch.

There is not much hope going forward with Reed, Herevey and Rhodes. especially Rhodes. The esks board should be ashamed, putting branding ahead of creating a good football team.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Usually when it gets to a headline print, the coach is done. Let's hope that trend continues.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/0...ire-kavis-reed

If Reed somehow survives this, I'm done with this team until it's changes. Tom Higgins got fired for one mistake in a tight Western Final. Reed gets an extension this year. Go figure.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:05 PM
jadeddog

i would like to say "of *course* reed will be fired, the team just didn't see any point in firing him when this season was already lost"... but then i remind myself that hervey gave reed an EXTENSION earlier this year, lol.... the incompetence of our management knows no bounds

reed has, by himself, cost this team at least 3 or 4 games this season... and thats without me thinking about it for more than 5 seconds.... the actual tally might be higher .... pathetic, pathetic coaching, no other way to put it... reed (and his lover-boy joseph) can't leave fast enough

jadeddog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:34 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
i would like to say "of *course* reed will be fired, the team just didn't see any point in firing him when this season was already lost"... but then i remind myself that hervey gave reed an EXTENSION earlier this year, lol.... the incompetence of our management knows no bounds

reed has, by himself, cost this team at least 3 or 4 games this season... and thats without me thinking about it for more than 5 seconds.... the actual tally might be higher .... pathetic, pathetic coaching, no other way to put it... reed (and his lover-boy joseph) can't leave fast enough
Yup, besides some of the boneheaded moves Hervey has made with player personnel this year, he will have to live with that Reed contract extension through next year as well. Nice one, Ed.

Old
10-06-2013, 01:37 PM
timekeep

The kiss of death article by Terry Jones, I think his last was just before Tambo was fired. Now write one about Hervey

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 01:48 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
The kiss of death article by Terry Jones, I think his last was just before Tambo was fired. Now write one about Hervey
And Rhodes. Anybody who thinks sideshows will put fans in the seats before a good product on the field has no business being associated with a professional sports team.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:28 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post

this last game was the icing on the cake.
his lack of preparation is sad. two illegal substitution penalites in the first quarter.
just by watching the game, you could tell that the players quit on the coach. they CLEARLY quit.

he puts a QB in the game who should not have played, and terry jones says it the best in todays Sun.
http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/0...ire-kavis-reed

"Reilly was cleared medically. But if they were so confident in his ability to play against the Alouettes’ league-best rushing and blitzing defence, why did they have him playing with what you’d have to call a ‘One Steamboat, First Read’ game plan?"

“There were parts of me we weren’t going to use. I thought we had a good game plan to get the ball out my hands quick,” said Reilly, admitting he was never going to carry the ball or look for second or third receivers and that Montreal figured it out early and dropped everybody back into coverage.

“We were not going to expose Mike to protection breakdowns,” said Reed of what Reilly has been exposed to all season.

stupid Reed. and hervey is the GM. he should have stepped in to make sure Reilly didn't play.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:29 PM
AJGass4

I laughed when I read that article.

Seriously? 14 games in and NOW Terry Jones has something worthwhile to say?

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:30 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
And Rhodes. Anybody who thinks sideshows will put fans in the seats before a good product on the field has no business being associated with a professional sports team.
what we see on the field is a result of the esks board brining in a branding manager as CEO & president instead of someone who has a clue about the game.

then his marketing and branding efforts stunk, too.

I'm just sick of being embarrassed because I'm an Oiler and Esks fan.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:34 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJGass4 View Post

some of the media has spoken about this stuff for a while now. it's not like this is the first time Jones, or anyone from the sun has been critical.
Jones earlier in the year, for example, called out Rhodes, Reed Hervey and the board of the esks.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:42 PM
AJGass4

While there is truth to that Gord, I still think the Edmonton media finds 101 excuses as to why our teams are terrible.

Someone calling a spade a spade is rather refreshing.

AJGass4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:07 PM
rboomercat90

vCash: 234
Quote:

Terry Jones was criticizing upper management before the season even started.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
While there is truth to that Gord, I still think the Edmonton media finds 101 excuses as to why our teams are terrible.

Someone calling a spade a spade is rather refreshing.
This is usually the case, but Jones has actually been dumping on the organization all year. He was blaming Reed for all the losses back in August.

After the free passes given to Maciocia, MacT, and Lowe that resulted in the two teams in this town being completely ruined for a decade and counting, the media seems to finally be growing a spine and calling these disgraceful organizations on the trash they continue to ram down the throats of fans.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

The Edmonton sports media has always given the Eskimos a hard time. They're spineless when it comes to the Oilers.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

People take Terry Jones seriously? Seriously?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I know a lot of people here dislike Jones,and that obviously includes you, but he deserves credit when he's right.
the edmonton media can be spineless, so I do give credit to jones for calling out the esks management and coaching throughout the year.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:32 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post

I don't care for everything he writes, but he was bang on in the latest article about Reed and several other articles before that about the teams managment etc. As others have said, I will give credit where it is due.

Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Edmonton sports media has always given the Eskimos a hard time. They're spineless when it comes to the Oilers.

This is soooo true.

Old
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

And Jones' "Fire this man!" articles are usually successful. It's a bizarre phenomenon.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

This was seen outside of the SUN offices today. A friend of Kavis's, perhaps?

Old
10-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I know a lot of people here dislike Jones,and that obviously includes you, but he deserves credit when he's right.
the edmonton media can be spineless, so I do give credit to jones for calling out the esks management and coaching throughout the year.
TJ is way past it. Watch any Oiler postgame or media session and Jones is the one asking rambling, poorly understood questions that haven't even been formulated so that Terry ends up trying to complete sentences in real time and not even knowing what he intends to say.

Eakins has already rolled his eyes several times at Jones inane questions. Audible groans are heard in he gallery these days as Jones has the mike.

Jones is way past best before date and his thinking is questionable. Not that it takes a lot of questioning to arrive at the conclusion that the club needs a new head coach. I was saying that almost two years ago as Reed was freaking out on his players repeatedly on the sidelines. Guys tuned him out early LAST season.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:44 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:

He hasn't exactly been nice to them this year, I don't really read Jones but he's bang on with this one.

So I ask this again, why not hire Lapolice half way through the year and see if he could've fixed this? Now we are going to be going into yet another year with either Reed or a new coach trying to implement a new strategy.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 09:53 AM
Beerfish

Jones because of his distance from the sports teams can actually write articles that are critical of them. He's also been around long enough that he is tough to squash. Since he's about the only media person in this town that actually gives it to the teams like they deserve I like him.

He does parachute in to make these slams but no one else will.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Stoneman89

He's one hell of a lot better than butt kissers like O'Leary and MacKinnon.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:19 AM
Stoneman89

Here's an example of some gutless wimpy reporting. Con Griwkowsky tries to tippy-toe around the defensive coaching issues.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/10/0...ced-to-defence