HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Have you become a Bernier believer?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2013, 02:48 PM
  #151
Al14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 11,655
vCash: 500
Too soon to annoint Bernier as our savior just yet.

He may have saved the 2 points last night, but, he could still poop the bed like Riemer did last night.

Al14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:50 PM
  #152
The Hockey Life
HF Boards Partner
 
The Hockey Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Leafs Nation
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
I hate to say it because Reimer is easily the most humble and great guys on the team, but once the trade went down I firmly believed Bernier was going to be our #1 at some point. (re-inforced that with 2.9 million dollar contract)

Get heckled everyday by my friends for saying Bernie is better than Reims but i'm sure one day they'll come to the realization !

The Hockey Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 02:53 PM
  #153
Aplayaz2000
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
he could still poop the bed like Riemer did last night.
James Reimer

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:05 PM
  #154
dimi78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Bernie's definitely shown me enough already that I no longer worry about him being a flop, at least.

But he's a long way from proving himself, so I guess I'm not quite a "believer" yet.

But at least I'm perfectly comfortable with Bernier and Reimer having a true mano a mano battle for the #1 job, now.
Nice to see you can be sensible when your wrong... I agree I'm not ready to proclaim Bernier as a legitimate #1 any more than Reimer. The over zealous Reimer fans who've ignored his inconsistencies these past 3 years by blaming the D on every little thing are getting a rude awakening at the moment though. It's quite obvious right now that Bernier provides area of strength to his game where Reimer struggles but I went into this with the thought the Leafs don't have a #1 but a tandem, this hasn't changed cause Bernier is hot and on top of his game right now.

A legitimate #1 plays between 50 - 65+ games and gives his team a chance to win in 90% of those starts neither Bernier or Reimer have come close to provide that level of consistency to be called a #1.

The Leafs have a tandem in goal and a darn good one where you have 2 goalies that can give 30+ games of top notch goaltending, if or when 1 of these 2 separate themselves and steps into the realm of consistency that a legitimate 50 - 65+ game #1 provides I'm going to stay grounded until that happens and believe we have no #1 but a tandem.

#teammapleleafs


Last edited by dimi78: 10-06-2013 at 03:17 PM.
dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:17 PM
  #155
BayStreetBully
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 390
vCash: 500
No need to knock Reimer just because you like Bernier. Raycroft was seen as the next big thing, until Toskala came along. Then Raycroft was garbage. When Gustavsson came, Tosakala was garbage. Then when Reimer came, Gustavsson became garbage.

Be hopeful about Bernier if you like, but why can't we have two good goalies? Why do we have to put down one goalie just to feel good about our other goalie?

BayStreetBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:18 PM
  #156
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz
 
Mikeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Stig View Post
For the record I was being facetious, I wasn't trying to offend anybody when I said that
hope so.

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:37 PM
  #157
Tyler Biggs*
Go Leafs Go!
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,884
vCash: 500
Bernier ALWAYS plays like this, get used to it. Poised, in position with no rebounds. The only reason why nobody knows this is because he played (rarely) way out on the West Coast behind a guy named Quick. The Leafs have been, and if they continue would be nuts not to play him as the number 1. The team owes Reimer nothing - it's about winning.

Tyler Biggs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:43 PM
  #158
lLeafer
Registered User
 
lLeafer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Pretty good start I'd say! We'll see after he puts in a full season. The job is his for the taking I think.. Reimer clearly hasn't got control of his rebound problem (kicks it into the slot on Spezza's goal.. wft was that?) and he can't handle the puck. Reimer is good but I think Bernier's game is more polished.. particularly in the puck control area.

lLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:44 PM
  #159
StringsAttached
BPD Nation!
 
StringsAttached's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,571
vCash: 500
If this is how Bernier plays for the majority of his starts then Tuuka who? But yeah kidding aside Bernier > Reimer, their rebound control ALONE is just night and day.

StringsAttached is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 03:51 PM
  #160
dimi78
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
Bernier ALWAYS plays like this, get used to it. Poised, in position with no rebounds. The only reason why nobody knows this is because he played (rarely) way out on the West Coast behind a guy named Quick. The Leafs have been, and if they continue would be nuts not to play him as the number 1. The team owes Reimer nothing - it's about winning.
It's a little different to play like you say ALWAYS like this as a #2 than when your playing the amount of games a #1 does. Work load is something new to Bernier and it remains to be seen if he can be a work horse goalie.

He's off to a great start the season is long... for me I want to see how he responds in a game when he gives up a bad goal or 2 in a game. Normally that's where a #1 starts to show his worth in that he doesn't get rattled by it but shuts the door the rest of the way giving his team the chance to come back.

It's not wise to jump on a bandwagon when a goalie is hot

dimi78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:02 PM
  #161
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy
 
Mystifo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: YYT
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 500
Honestly I remain on the side of #teamwhoevergetsusaW.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:04 PM
  #162
JeffMangum
Man Girardi
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 59,251
vCash: 50
This guy is poised to become an elite starter, IMO. His game against the Flyers 100% sold me on him. He made some crazy saves against an elite offensive team.

Leafs are looking legit, man. And Clarkson hasn't even played yet.

__________________
Soon.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:21 PM
  #163
TorMapleJays
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
Sometimes, it's not how you perform but also how you look doing it. Bernier is a study in control which Reimer has problems with from time to time. His belly flop on the third goal and that squeaker on the first makes him look out of control and not able to pay attention to the details. That save Bernier made when the puck hit the referee in the Philly game is one of those little things that jumps out at you about how in control he is.
Spaking of the Philly game:

Did you guys not see the glove save he made on a tipped shot like 4 feet infront of him, it dropped like a foot, and he made it look smooth as silk.

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:27 PM
  #164
TorMapleJays
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 574
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
No need to knock Reimer just because you like Bernier. Raycroft was seen as the next big thing, until Toskala came along. Then Raycroft was garbage. When Gustavsson came, Tosakala was garbage. Then when Reimer came, Gustavsson became garbage.

Be hopeful about Bernier if you like, but why can't we have two good goalies? Why do we have to put down one goalie just to feel good about our other goalie?
Raycroft was never the next big thing. EVER. period. I hated that trade the day it happened, and, its even worse now!!

But those names you just mentioned are solid proof of just how poor of goaltending we have had!!

TorMapleJays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:01 PM
  #165
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة
 
Bravid Nonahan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: أور
Country: Syria
Posts: 10,587
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStreetBully View Post
No need to knock Reimer just because you like Bernier. Raycroft was seen as the next big thing, until Toskala came along. Then Raycroft was garbage. When Gustavsson came, Tosakala was garbage. Then when Reimer came, Gustavsson became garbage.

Be hopeful about Bernier if you like, but why can't we have two good goalies? Why do we have to put down one goalie just to feel good about our other goalie?
I can see where you are coming from, but in my opinion:

Raycroft, Toskala, and Gustavsson actually ARE garbage.

Reimer is a good goalie, probably about an average NHL starter. I think Bernier CAN be an above average starter. I do believe we have 2 good goalies. And Reims had a bad game, no big deal. That's why you play more than 1

Bravid Nonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:24 PM
  #166
hockeyfanz*
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,913
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings4thecup View Post
Well, You've seen Bernier play a few times now. You heard us Kings fans telling you how great he is, and that he was just stuck behind Quick. What's your assessment now.

Still think he just played in front of a great D and hasn't proven anything?

Leafs are going to love what he brings and I wish you the best.
I never didnt believe that Bernier wasn't a solid goalie. Everything heard and read about him said as much...high pedigree goalie drafted in the first round 11th overall..and really good when given the chance in LA. He will be the #1 goalie IMO and I really like James.

hockeyfanz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:38 PM
  #167
Ari91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
I want the guy that gives us the best chance to win. I honestly think that we have two goalies that are capable of doing that. If that turns out to be the case, we can only keep one. My eyes tell me that Bernier is capable of being elite. My eyes tells me that there is no one area of his game that is considered a 'weakness'. My gut tells me that he's going to earn that starter's spot. My brain tells me that it's still too early to hand the job over to one guy and no matter the amount of potential or how good a goalie looks...he needs a body of work that suggests he can play to his potential on a consistent basis.

Ari91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:44 PM
  #168
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
Bernier ALWAYS plays like this, get used to it. Poised, in position with no rebounds. The only reason why nobody knows this is because he played (rarely) way out on the West Coast behind a guy named Quick. The Leafs have been, and if they continue would be nuts not to play him as the number 1. The team owes Reimer nothing - it's about winning.
This^^^^^ Reimer had his shot to solidify the #1 role, all he had to do was show up for the final 10 mins of Game 7 vs Boston. Gurantee you if he held it together for the duration of the game and got the win then Nonis would not have traded for Bernier in the offseason.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:52 PM
  #169
The Reaper
Men of Mayhem
 
The Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,013
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
This^^^^^ Reimer had his shot to solidify the #1 role, all he had to do was show up for the final 10 mins of Game 7 vs Boston. Gurantee you if he held it together for the duration of the game and got the win then Nonis would not have traded for Bernier in the offseason.
Or maybe Bernier was brought in because um you know, Scrivens wasn't a capable backup and can't rely on him when Reims has a bad game

The Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:59 PM
  #170
Woodman19
#TeamBernier
 
Woodman19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Or maybe Bernier was brought in because um you know, Scrivens wasn't a capable backup and can't rely on him when Reims has a bad game
You don't deal what you do and sign him to a $2.9 Million contract with the idea of making him a backup.

Woodman19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:59 PM
  #171
Mikeyg
Smackin' haterz
 
Mikeyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,030
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Or maybe Bernier was brought in because um you know, Scrivens wasn't a capable backup and can't rely on him when Reims has a bad game
LOL, they brought him in to be a number 1, a backup goalie doesnt cost a 2nd, a forward with top 6/9 potential + another backup goalie, dont kid yourself, he was brought in to be the starter

Mikeyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:02 PM
  #172
Cor
Me Troll? Never
 
Cor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: London, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,694
vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorMapleJays View Post
Raycroft was never the next big thing. EVER. period. I hated that trade the day it happened, and, its even worse now!!

But those names you just mentioned are solid proof of just how poor of goaltending we have had!!
You were in the FAR minority. The Raycroft trade was looked at very positively for the Leafs. A rookie of the year goalie, who had a bad year. Leafs were going to be set in goal.

Raycroft actually looked good in his first year. Then it went downhill.

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:04 PM
  #173
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Or maybe Bernier was brought in because um you know, Scrivens wasn't a capable backup and can't rely on him when Reims has a bad game
Or maybe if they wanted a backup they a) wouldnt give up assests b) wouldn't sign Bernier to a $2.9M/deal C) they could have just as easily resigned Scrivens or better yet called up one of their minor leaguers. Point is IMO this move was done because Nonis is unsure of Riemer, unsure he can show up when it matters most (case in point Game 7 vs Boston) and unsure of his durability (case in point missing significant time the past two seasons with a concussion and leg sprain). Nonis wants to have a guy they can turn to if Reimer craps the bed, like you said to play when (not if) he goes down and to push Riemer for the #1 role., either way this wasn't done just to land a backup goaile.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:12 PM
  #174
Frankie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Bernie's definitely shown me enough already that I no longer worry about him being a flop, at least.

But he's a long way from proving himself, so I guess I'm not quite a "believer" yet.

But at least I'm perfectly comfortable with Bernier and Reimer having a true mano a mano battle for the #1 job, now.
terrible start to the season for you. heh.

Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:14 PM
  #175
bunjay
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 12,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
Or maybe Bernier was brought in because um you know, Scrivens wasn't a capable backup and can't rely on him when Reims has a bad game
Bernier was absolutely not brought in to fill Scrivens' spot. Don't be ridiculous.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.