HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I want more EGG-Habs win 4-1

Old
10-06-2013, 04:01 PM
domdo345

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP View Post
Best play from Eller all night - the penalty he drew, carrying a player from the blue line to the corner, then tossing him like a salad.

PK called him the Terminator during 24CH. We can see why. He's getting monstruous!
He looks about the same size as last year but man each year he is getting stronger! Getting stronger and faster is quite a feet during a summer time spawn.

domdo345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:05 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Best play from Eller all night - the penalty he drew, carrying a player from the blue line to the corner, then tossing him like a salad.

PK called him the Terminator during 24CH. We can see why. He's getting monstruous!
They're just ripping off my avy.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABsurde View Post
people on this board are ludicrous, 2 games and let's kill Desharnais and Bričre....

You should all remember that during camp. Desharnais, Bričre and Pacioretty were very good, and if i may say, E-G-G weren't that good....

Habs had a tendency before on judging the play in a 5 games block... we should all do the same with players... because, you never know, maybe in Calgary, Edmonton and Vancouver, 1 and two half man may get 8 points and EGG just not what they crack up to be in the first 2 games....

i'll do a judgment after 5 games where you can start noticing patterns or evolution but after 2 games (And for Brięre-Desharnais-Pacioretty, 2 periods!!!) i'm going to hold my breath a bit....
You have to know how to look at things. Sometimes you don't really need patience to realize certain things.

To be fair, it's been more than just 2 games. You have to include last year for DD. He does seem faster on his skates, but he's so reliant on MaxPac and people are upset because we could have a very dominant line with Plekanec and him if it wasn't for management's insistence on keeping him with DD. So it's very annoying.
The way he seems to be favored to Eller for no real reasoning is another annoying issue. Not to mention the contract he got was a head scratcher.

As for Briere, you're right, he's new. It'll take some time for him to get used to new linemates/system. However, a lot of people including myself, would have preferred to not sign anyone than to go after. It is just a very bad fit on our team. It made no sense to go after him, and it makes even less sense that we got rid of 2 years of Cole in order to get 2 of Briere. It was a stupid decision. You know he's old, declining, small, and that he needs easier minutes/sheltering. That is not at all what our team needed. We don't have to wait to know this.

As for the EGG line, why would they stop? They have been progressing nicely since last year. They are continuing their development and improvements. I said it a few times during preseason when people were wondering, once the season starts and they are back to playing on a full lineup on the 3rd line, they will go back to their dominant ways. Add that to the natural improving development of kids and they are making a case for themselves to be used more and increase their role.

However, the DD-Briere-Prust/MaxPac is awful. It's pretty much up to MaxPac/Prust to win all their board battles because the other two never do.

That's why I was so disappointed with our training camp. It's the time to try new things, new lines, see what trio could actually work (in case of any adjustment). I would have liked to see MaxPac with Plek/Gio, Eller centering Gally-Briere, DD moved to the wing to pair him with Eller and MaxPac. See Bourque with Eller.
Just try new things. But no, EGG line was kept together, Briere took over Cole/Ryder's spot, which made no sense, and Plek's line remained intact (aside from Gio's injury).

Right now, we're stuck with DD-Briere-Prust/MaxPac unless other lines also screw up. But we have no idea what could work, so experiments would need to happen mid-season as opposed to training camp.

Anyways, if you prone patience, then you need more than 5 games. 15-20 is usually a good indication as a cold streak can stay for a good number of games. By the 20 game mark, if you're not out of a cold streak, then it's not just a streak; there's a problem.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:15 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
That wasn't the point.
What was shown to you is your clear double standard. If it were the Blues yesterday instead of the Habs, you would have mentioned Halak's performance.
But since it's Price, you're downplaying it.

I don't really understand why people are still talking about Halak anyways. It's been 4 years already, he's had one solid year there and never reached the 60 game plateau.
Seriously, time to let it go perhaps.

Price had an easy night, still made saves, overall good job.
When out of all the goalies a person can mention, they mention Halak? In a conversation about Price?

You know you are dealing with a biased person that will never change their opinion or be open top rational discussion.

No Team Needed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:16 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

Quote:

Lol, salad. That's a new one.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:22 PM
Rosso Scuderia

When Max comes back and his line still can't get it going, I would break the EGG line and swap Briere and Gallagher. Briere could use a big center and Gally had some kind pf success with DD and MaxPac

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:49 PM
JohnLennon

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but is there any way I can watch last night's game? I was at a concert and missed it.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:53 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

This game could've been over way before the start of the 3rd if we capitalized on all those juicy rebounds Emery gave.

On another note:

- Diaz had another crappy game can't wait before his soft ass is shipped. You don't want to be physical an clear the front of the net/be involved physically? You better as hell win ALL of your one on one battles with your stick. And in that aspect, he's overrated beyond belief on this board.
- While he played a good game, there's no way Price deserved the 1st star before Eller
- Bouillon was way less awful last game
- Tinordi has to get better at clearing the front of the net. This is where we'll be missing Murray and Emelin
- Moen is a transformed player, in a good way
- Gionta stepped it up last night. Great game.
- 24CH is going to be SO good this year.
- Rene Bourque was maybe the best player with Eller last night.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 04:57 PM
Phil Parent
Djee-zosse!

Ryan White played his role great last night. Reeled Wayne Simmonds right in and got him off the ice for a while. We won that trade you know, losing White to get Simmonds off the ice. Looking at White's eyes when Simmonds dropped his gloves, you could tell he just KNEW he got him, and then he dropped them to make sure this would be a 5 for Fighting for Simmonds.

I just love White.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Futureisbright
Rookie User

Eller is really becoming a good top 6 player in this league. He's got the full package: size, good shot, good hands and good vision... Sky is the limit for him. I'm thrilled to see our youngsters(Subban, Eller, Gallys, Patch...) taking charge of this team.

Futureisbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:09 PM
LLoyd Christmas I

I bet Parros wished he was still in the lineup when Grossman was stepping up to Prust during the Moen-Schenn fight.

LLoyd Christmas I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:12 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

A number of teams are having trouble scoring early on, such as Buffalo with two goals total over 3 games, and who probably miss some high-octane players sent out in the past, like Roy and Pomminville. Not to mention the Rangers and Flyers. Would love to see DD packaged to one of those teams, perhaps getting desperate for scoring and hopefully pressing the panic button, especially to a team that is not seen as making the playoffs to begin with, and willing to offer early-round draft picks.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:16 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
That's the easiest game Price will have all year. Flyers were brutal.

I will state the obvious - Briere and DD are embarrassing at this point.
I thought Briere made a few excellent passes that DD failed to even convert to a SOG, but was otherwise horrible in every way imaginable. I still think DD looks like the better player at this point.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:22 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
A game like last night is far more the norm for the Blues than the Habs...that's why they give up very few goals/shots regardless of who's in net and win a lot of games. You're point is based on absolutes which can be used for the best team ever assembled as no one is void of making mistakes. The best goalie in the league is not absolutely the best every night and the worst starter is not absolutely the worst every night. I think you're missing the point on the matter of comparing team quality. One thing happens far more often for one team than the other. What adds to this of course is the similar success of one team regardless of who's in goal.

I understand your subjective point suggesting Price didn't have the 'point-blank saves'/tough saves to preserve the win as Halak did in his 'easy' night because of good D. However you are missing my point. This is what is commonly said of Halak after every ~15 save shutout he gets with the Blues. Something that you have defended in the past. I find it ironic that you use similar terms against Price and will receive the pretty much exact rebuttal you made in favour of Halak but in favour of Price.
Normally I'd agree, but the trend is shifting. Last years habs, for the most part, played exactly like last night.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:23 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
When Max comes back and his line still can't get it going, I would break the EGG line and swap Briere and Gallagher. Briere could use a big center and Gally had some kind pf success with DD and MaxPac
I actually wouldn't mind this even though I'm generally opposed to breaking up the EGG line. I think Alex and Eller sticking together for now are imperative. I think Briere has the potential to complement them.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:33 PM
Craig71

Eller is playing so well right now and it might just be because of how he was used so sparingly by Martin and developed his two way game under our former coaches tenure. I can see the same of Bournival, is there a player on our team with more explosive speed than this kid? It's good to see the kids getting a larger role on the team and will make some vets expendable and hopefully send DD on the trade market as well.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:47 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
I wish they had tried that in camp. I'm disappointed in the lack of experiments from our coaching staff in trying new lines at camp. Injuries happen, players get injured or cold, it's important to know other combinations that work in the event of needing a mix up.

I'd be curious to see how Gallagher would be used because he's still the one averaging the least ice time out of our top 9.

Last edited by Kriss E: 10-06-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old
10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

I usually don't jump to conclusions like this, but i truly believe that Lars Eller is now our best forward. With that said, I think they should go ahead and put Briere on his line, and switch him for Galchenyuk. Gally and Eller have chemistry, and Briere will feed off of it, and be a good veteran, offensive presence on that line. Meanwhile, Galchenyuk will add a bit of strength and size to the DD/Patches line, possibly freeing up both players, mostly DD, who's been useless, to start playing their respective game's a bit better.

Try it for a game or 2, and if both new lines look like crap, revert to the 1-line, winning formula.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:33 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Ryan White played his role great last night. Reeled Wayne Simmonds right in and got him off the ice for a while. We won that trade you know, losing White to get Simmonds off the ice. Looking at White's eyes when Simmonds dropped his gloves, you could tell he just KNEW he got him, and then he dropped them to make sure this would be a 5 for Fighting for Simmonds.

I just love White.
He was taunting the bench after the fight it was hilarious!

Im not an expert at reading lips but im pretty sure he said 'i dont give a ****, whos gonna score now?'

I would be really mad if Pacioretty was fighting some random 4th liner when we are down 2 goals.

Team_Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:35 PM
Teufelsdreck

I give the Blues credit for drafting Eller and Gauthier for recognizing him as a good return for an overrated Halak.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:38 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
I usually don't jump to conclusions like this, but i truly believe that Lars Eller is now our best forward. With that said, I think they should go ahead and put Briere on his line, and switch him for Galchenyuk. Gally and Eller have chemistry, and Briere will feed off of it, and be a good veteran, offensive presence on that line. Meanwhile, Galchenyuk will add a bit of strength and size to the DD/Patches line, possibly freeing up both players, mostly DD, who's been useless, to start playing their respective game's a bit better.

Try it for a game or 2, and if both new lines look like crap, revert to the 1-line, winning formula.
Before saying Eller is our best forward, he needs to do the same versus the toughest opposition consistently. I have no doubts that Eller will become a very solid center for us, always believed it and he's one of my favorite players, but he's got more to prove before me saying he's our best forward or center.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I give the Blues credit for drafting Eller and Gauthier for recognizing him as a good return for an overrated Halak.
I never understood how people thought we could get a bigger return for Halak.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:43 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
You have to know how to look at things. Sometimes you don't really need patience to realize certain things.

To be fair, it's been more than just 2 games. You have to include last year for DD. He does seem faster on his skates, but he's so reliant on MaxPac and people are upset because we could have a very dominant line with Plekanec and him if it wasn't for management's insistence on keeping him with DD. So it's very annoying.
The way he seems to be favored to Eller for no real reasoning is another annoying issue. Not to mention the contract he got was a head scratcher.

As for Briere, you're right, he's new. It'll take some time for him to get used to new linemates/system. However, a lot of people including myself, would have preferred to not sign anyone than to go after. It is just a very bad fit on our team. It made no sense to go after him, and it makes even less sense that we got rid of 2 years of Cole in order to get 2 of Briere. It was a stupid decision. You know he's old, declining, small, and that he needs easier minutes/sheltering. That is not at all what our team needed. We don't have to wait to know this.

As for the EGG line, why would they stop? They have been progressing nicely since last year. They are continuing their development and improvements. I said it a few times during preseason when people were wondering, once the season starts and they are back to playing on a full lineup on the 3rd line, they will go back to their dominant ways. Add that to the natural improving development of kids and they are making a case for themselves to be used more and increase their role.

However, the DD-Briere-Prust/MaxPac is awful. It's pretty much up to MaxPac/Prust to win all their board battles because the other two never do.

That's why I was so disappointed with our training camp. It's the time to try new things, new lines, see what trio could actually work (in case of any adjustment). I would have liked to see MaxPac with Plek/Gio, Eller centering Gally-Briere, DD moved to the wing to pair him with Eller and MaxPac. See Bourque with Eller.
Just try new things. But no, EGG line was kept together, Briere took over Cole/Ryder's spot, which made no sense, and Plek's line remained intact (aside from Gio's injury).

Right now, we're stuck with DD-Briere-Prust/MaxPac unless other lines also screw up. But we have no idea what could work, so experiments would need to happen mid-season as opposed to training camp.

Anyways, if you prone patience, then you need more than 5 games. 15-20 is usually a good indication as a cold streak can stay for a good number of games. By the 20 game mark, if you're not out of a cold streak, then it's not just a streak; there's a problem.
I agree on changing the lines, in a smart, responsible manner. We know Eller and Gallagher work, there's clearly chemistry there, but besides that, there's not much working. I've come to realize (guess?) that DD really misses Cole more than anyone else. So i think the best thing to do is try Galchenyuk with him and Patches. I actually first envisioned when Galchenyuk was drafted that he would end up with those 2, and DD would move to wing. Whatever the case, DD needs two bigger players to play with, to create space for him to operate.

As far as Plekanec is concerned, i think the line he's on has the chance to be good. Bourque is the key, he's a streaky player, but i find that since he's been fully healthy, he's been very good for us. Gionta seems ready to compete hard as well, so i think they'll be fine.

I think that putting Prust with Gally and Eller will be just fine. He works hard, and has pretty good hands for a tough guy. If not him, Bournival would fit well their, too. Good work ethic and forechecker, i think he'd be ideal on a 3rd line with them.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

vCash: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Too soon to call Halak overrated...But Kudos to Gauthier for sure. Even a bad GM has some good moves. And Gauthier wasn't bad...but he wasn't good either.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:47 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Before saying Eller is our best forward, he needs to do the same versus the toughest opposition consistently. I have no doubts that Eller will become a very solid center for us, always believed it and he's one of my favorite players, but he's got more to prove before me saying he's our best forward or center.
Well that's true, and i doubt a major shakeup will take place right away anyhow. Still, I'm going out on a limb with Eller being our top guy. He may not fare as well against better, more defensive lines, but he'll still be better than any other centre, at least. Is he better than Patches? Maybe not, but they like comparing apples and oranges, very different type players.