HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomáš Hertl

Old
10-06-2013, 05:04 PM
Leidi J

vCash: 500
Tomáš Hertl

I feel like there should be a place to obsess talk about our newest addition aside from spamming the gameday threads.

I also was looking for a place to post lots of the Czech articles about him that are out there frequently. He really is a huge deal over, way bigger than I realized. I obviously don't speak/read Czech, so we'll have to do with the awful translators that google/bing/etc provide...

Edit: and now that we have this, seems a much better spot to post/repost this.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1509871 An interview with Tomas, graciously translated for us by the people over on the Central Europe boards.

Leidi J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:37 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Lost in the gaudy point totals is how impressive his defensive game has been. He's often the first man back and he doesn't cheat out of the zone. Good anticipation too. I'm wholly impressed.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Lost in the gaudy point totals is how impressive his defensive game has been. He's often the first man back and he doesn't cheat out of the zone. Good anticipation too. I'm wholly impressed.
I am too. I hope he can keep it up.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
Yup, I 've noticed this too. Won four of his 5 faceoffs so far as well. Too bad we have sooooo many good centers, because ideally I think he'd be great there. Eventually though (whether it's 1-4/5 years down the road) I suppose he'll go back there.

Old
10-06-2013, 05:50 PM
CanadienShark

At the time of the draft, I was like "da ****," then became a fan after I did some research. Been VERY impressed with him thus far.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:18 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienShark View Post
At the time of the draft, I was like "da ****," then became a fan after I did some research. Been VERY impressed with him thus far.
Ha, I remember on draft day I was trying really hard to talk everyone off the ledge. Yeah, I was still pissed that we didn't take Teravainen (and I still think Teravainen will be a star, for the record), but I was also really pleased with Hertl because I'd seen some of him.

Anyway, what I'm most interested in is how Tomas responds to adversity. Obviously he's skilled, but I'm interested in his mental make up. I know for a fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve and when he's frustrated on the ice, it really shows (as opposed to someone like Marleau who keeps an even keel). I think it's mostly something that's a product of his youth, but I anticipate him going through slumps, bad luck, etc., and I think it will be important to see how he handles a demotion, no puck luck, etc. playing-wise.

Old
10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
CanadienShark

Quote:
Ha, I remember on draft day I was trying really hard to talk everyone off the ledge. Yeah, I was still pissed that we didn't take Teravainen (and I still think Teravainen will be a star, for the record), but I was also really pleased with Hertl because I'd seen some of him.

Anyway, what I'm most interested in is how Tomas responds to adversity. Obviously he's skilled, but I'm interested in his mental make up. I know for a fact that he wears his heart on his sleeve and when he's frustrated on the ice, it really shows (as opposed to someone like Marleau who keeps an even keel). I think it's mostly something that's a product of his youth, but I anticipate him going through slumps, bad luck, etc., and I think it will be important to see how he handles a demotion, no puck luck, etc. playing-wise.
I think he'll react similar to Galchenyuk, when Gally was snakebit for a time last year. He'll get frustrated and his play will start to worsen temporarily. Then he'll score a goal to break the funk, and he'll be good thereafter. Fortunately though, he's competent defensively and can hit, so he's not totally useless even if he's not contributing. I don't think a slump will really affect him much, but we'll see.

CanadienShark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:34 PM
hockeyball

Quote:

On draft day I had pretty much no opinion since I don't know jack about undrafted players generally. From that blank slate, from what I read, it seemed like a pretty good pick. Same with Mueller. I think people give the Sharks WAY too much hate, they draft extremely well for their drafting position, especially in recent years.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:08 PM
Oppa
#FunMustBeAlways

I noticed the o-zone turnovers or "bad passes" last night but other than that... SOLID

Oppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:50 PM
Alaskanice

Quote:

I was nowhere NEAR that ledge!! As I saw all the moaning and groaning and outright anger over picking the unknown player, I did my best to find out who he was. I remember someone saying that his totals actually came out to be more than anyone high in the draft. I wish I could recall that information.

Alaskanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
On draft day I had pretty much no opinion since I don't know jack about undrafted players generally. From that blank slate, from what I read, it seemed like a pretty good pick. Same with Mueller. I think people give the Sharks WAY too much hate, they draft extremely well for their drafting position, especially in recent years.
I agree.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:04 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
I was nowhere NEAR that ledge!! As I saw all the moaning and groaning and outright anger over picking the unknown player, I did my best to find out who he was. I remember someone saying that his totals actually came out to be more than anyone high in the draft. I wish I could recall that information.
Based on "NHL equivalencies" his scoring rate was better then a lot of forwards that were drafted before him.

I was very happy with the Hertl pick (but I also LOVED the Coyle & Couture picks) and so far (two whole NHL games), he's been what I've expected.

I'm interested to see how he handles an NHL schedule, how he handles adversity, if he can adjust his game as his opponents adjust to him, if he can keep up this level and pace for 60, 70, 80+ games. I have very high hopes for him but this is going to be an up and down season.

I think the most impressive thing I've seen from Hertl so far is that he's not just passing off to Thornton or Burns when he has the puck, he's been great in puck possession, he's skating with it, making plays and taking on players one on one. I was concerned that he wouldn't have the puck enough playing with Thornton but through two games it hasn't been an issue at all.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:07 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalockrox View Post
Based on "NHL equivalencies" his scoring rate was better then a lot of forwards that were drafted before him.

I was very happy with the Hertl pick (but I also LOVED the Coyle & Couture picks) and so far (two whole NHL games), he's been what I've expected.

I'm interested to see how he handles an NHL schedule, how he handles adversity, if he can adjust his game as his opponents adjust to him, if he can keep up this level and pace for 60, 70, 80+ games. I have very high hopes for him but this is going to be an up and down season.

I think the most impressive thing I've seen from Hertl so far is that he's not just passing off to Thornton or Burns when he has the puck, he's been great in puck possession, he's skating with it, making plays and taking on players one on one. I was concerned that he wouldn't have the puck enough playing with Thornton but through two games it hasn't been an issue at all.
I think a lot of it has to do with his previous pro experience and I don't think we'll have to be too worried about him dealing with adversity because of it but I think that endurance may turn out to be an issue later on.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:08 PM
Leidi J

Quote:
I also kind of wonder just about the stamina and wear of a long season on him. He's young so he should hold up physically, but mentally 82 games can be taxing especially since he's never come close to that kind of season.

Also, even more so if he ends up in Sochi on the Czech team, which doesn't look like a far-fetched possibility.

Old
10-06-2013, 08:16 PM
BillR10

I think he's looked great so far an we've only seen a small sample of his potential. I really like the fact that he's a 19 year old scorer that is not afraid to take the body. I know I'm getting ahead of myself a bit, but so far in the first week he looks like he is going to be in the Calder discussions with McKinnon, Chaisson and Barkov thoughout the season. Those players have really stood out so far and have really good linemates to help bring out the best in them.

The true tell tale will be when the team goes cold. I hope it never happens but the odds of it not happening at least once are probably slim. Will he keep his head up and work harder of will he put his head down? I think he'll be fine but only time will tell.

BillR10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:17 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

If it makes anyone feel better, I think eliteprospects has him down for playing 92 games total last year. Actually 103(?) maybe

Last edited by hohosaregood: 10-06-2013 at 08:20 PM. Reason: forgot the playoffs
hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:20 PM
stalockrox

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with his previous pro experience and I don't think we'll have to be too worried about him dealing with adversity because of it but I think that endurance may turn out to be an issue later on.
I don't care where a player came from, he's skating next to one of the best playmakers in the league and most rookies would get that puck to Thornton whenever they could.

He was kind of a star on his Slavia Praha team, he isn't here, though he could be sometime soon. I'm not overly worried about how he'll handle things but it's something to watch for because at some point this season he's going to have his ice time cut or be benched for long stretches or even be a healthy scratch.

stalockrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:

Jim Johnson alluded to that in his interview last night..Hertl is very confident and comfortable playing against older and more experienced opponents. Of course being 6'2 210-220..doesn't hurt.

Old
10-06-2013, 08:40 PM
do0glas

Hertl was ready to accept a role in the AHL before the season started. Also, Thornton is the kind of guy you'd like to have during a "slump". He's very ahh. That's hockey mindset. It'll be a good influence IMO.

I also think with our current player pool. Unless Havlat comes back with Torres and hertl isn't doing well, he could very well stay up the whole season

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:47 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

I'm having a lot of fun reading through the 2012 draft thread on this board. Here are the highlights:

-Everyone thought Carolina got hosed in the Jordan Staal trade and was praising Shero, which is hilarious because a year later it looks horrendous for the Pens.

-Nem being obsessed with Radek Faksa and thinking he would be the next Couture.

-Everyone loving the Matt Dumba pick.

-Nem is the first person to mention Hertl in the thread, and it is done bitterly, as well as being the only mention of Hertl before he's picked.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...213983&page=21 is the beginning of the reactions to the pick. If you were one of the many who hated on Hertl, read and feel shame.

-Nem is pretty much the only one defending the pick.

And here are my two posts in the thread:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=775

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...&postcount=791

So basically I'm right and the rest of your suck.

Old
10-06-2013, 08:59 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
I'm having a lot of fun reading through the 2012 draft thread on this board. Here are the highlights:

-Everyone thought Carolina got hosed in the Jordan Staal trade and was praising Shero, which is hilarious because a year later it looks horrendous for the Pens.

-Nem is the first person to mention Hertl in the thread, and it is done bitterly, as well as being the only mention of Hertl before he's picked.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...213983&page=21 is the beginning of the reactions to the pick. If you were one of the many who hated on Hertl, read and feel shame.

You forgot about us who were fine with the pick...i avoid sucking.

Old
10-06-2013, 09:21 PM
Kitten Mittons

I am disappointed with my level-headedness.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
do0glas

I think I just said we possibly avoided TT due to size and if hertl was a Thornton understudy lol

do0glas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:28 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Some of those replies are facepalm worthy. Complaining about skating issues and wanting Gaunce..

Old
10-06-2013, 09:37 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Quote:

There are many people defending the pick in the thread.