HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morgan Rielly vs Mark Fraser

Old
10-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Black Magic*

vCash: 500
Morgan Rielly vs Mark Fraser

Who is better RIGHT NOW?

Who would you rather have playing with the Leafs RIGHT NOW?

Black Magic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:27 PM
Thee Implication
Gaaaaary Roberts!

vCash: 50
I would play Fraser over Rielly right now

Thee Implication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:28 PM
glg51*

Right now? Fraser ainec

Rielly obviously in the future

glg51* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:28 PM
namttebih

This is like asking Apples or Falafels.

namttebih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Kingstonian84*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic View Post
Who is better RIGHT NOW?

I really hate this type of question, and its vague! When you say "who is better" what area are you referring to? Like are you asking whos a better skater or a passer or a fighter? You need to be more specific when you ask this type of question bud.

Rielly and Fraser are not comparable players because both are the polar opposite of the other. Rielly is a fast skating puck moving defensmen who's game is leaned towards the offensive side of the puck. Fraser is a slow moving guy who is horrible at moving the puck but he's solid positionally and is a hard hitting wrecking ball.

If I had to make a choice between them I'd go with Fraser, its a preference thing. I prefer my blueliners to be defense first guys who aren't looking to join the attack and who are also more then willing to sacrifice their body for the good of the team.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:32 PM
The Mentalist
2016 Clayton Keller

Quote:
Who is better RIGHT NOW?

Easy answer both. They are different players so Fraser is a better physical player, Rielly is a better puck mover.

The Mentalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:32 PM
Antropovsky

Stupid comparison. We need a guy like fraser more than Rielly right now.

Want to compare, gardiner vs Rielly. Would be appropriate.

Antropovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Bomber0104

Fraser is better to have right now for winning games but Rielly needs to get some XP in the NHL.

Problem is that we have a surplus of offensive defencemen with Gardiner, Franson, and Dion on the starting 6 so Rielly needs to prove that he can be relied on defensively if he wants to stick around.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
cyris
On a Soma Holiday

Frasier might be our 6th Dman but he isnt the guy I would push out of the lineup if Rielly earns a full time spot.

Frasier brings a skill set to the D that no other player has. He clears the front of the net, hits fights, intimidates and plays a solid defensive game.
He is also the best fighter on the team that can take a regular shift.

If Rielly is going to steal someones spot anytime soon its going to be ane of the more offensive guys who struggle defensively at times. Someone like Gards and Ranger or to a much less likely situation Franson.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:50 PM
TMLife
#teambernier

Fraser-Rielly

Make it happen

Top pairing
Gardiner-Franson
Fraser-Rielly
Ranger(needs to earn his spot back)

TMLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Aplayaz2000

from last game? ama have to go with Morgan ****en Rielly

he was good for the most part in his zone
unlike Ranger...
and has a good ability to move that puck and control the play
dictate it, similar to what Kadri does

and Gardiner
he's a quality d man dude
play the 5th overall pick in the 2012 NHL DRAFT
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooo

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:19 PM
mikebel111
Optimistic/Patient

time will tell IMO.

You call tell that Carlyle loves what he has in rielly.

mikebel111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Crispy Crust

Rielly for sure. It doesn't hurt to have a little sand paper on the blue line though.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:28 PM
CabanaBoy5

IF i had to choose between the two, I'd rather keep Rielly. He's gaining alot of experience in the next few weeks, and with that, will show that he's indispensible. But like others have said, I'd rather keep Fraser, and sit Ranger rather than Rielly.

CabanaBoy5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:34 PM
Tak7

Rielly probably helps the Leafs blueline with their biggest weakness right now - breaking out and clearing their zone.

Fraser on the other hand - the Leafs don't have a player like him. He's a bruiser of a blueliner, and someone that you know Carlyle loves to have on the back end.

If things keep going the way that they are going, I can see Paul Ranger being the odd-man out on the blue line to accomodate both Rielly and Fraser

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:36 PM
highslot

i thought this was a fight thread. if it was, i'd say fraser.

highslot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:38 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Who is better RIGHT NOW?

Seriously? You do know, besides the absolute obvious, they are two totally different D that do two different things, and each has its importance and relevevance?

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Gutchecktime

They're two very different players.

I really value mobile, puck-moving defensemen though. When they're on, they just have such a big impact in terms of controlling the pace of the game and pushing the play offensively instead of being constantly defending which takes a bigger toll on your team in terms of energy/exertion. Fraser is tough, he plays with a lot of heart, and you gotta love a guy who'll take a puck in the face for your team - but honestly, I thought having Gardiner in for him in the playoffs last year made a huge difference.

The problem is that our mobile, puck-moving defensemen are especially young and inexperienced. Given that this type of defenseman is already likely to make more mistakes while taking offensive risks, combined with their age/inexperience, you just need to be prepared for the fact that there'll be some bumps along the way (see first period of most games so far). But once they settle in and as the season progresses, I really feel it's in our best interest to have more of these guys, not less. They're gamebreakers. They'll take risks, have a few screw ups but they're also the guys who have the ability to make a big play to win the game.

Leaf fans don't seem to like this type of player though. They are far too focused on the screw ups with defensemen it seems.

Gutchecktime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:11 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Seriously?

We watch one game of Morgan Rielly..

And you couldn't be more far off on comparing these two. These two should be PLAYING together. Sit Ranger when Fraser is healthy.

Dion - Gunnar
Franson - Gardiner
Rielly - Fraser

Franson and Gardiner need to play together IMO. Fraser is a monster and will keep people away from Rielly and he has a nice shot that will open up room..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:12 PM
EdBelfour20

Ranger will regain form given time, I know it

EdBelfour20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBelfour20 View Post
I think so too.

I feel bad for him because he was so, so close to redeeming himself with that shot off the post late in the Ottawa game. Like I said, gamebreakers. Fraser will never be that guy.

Old
10-06-2013, 11:16 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdBelfour20 View Post
I'm just saying try it out. Might give him a little bit more edge the next game. It's not a big deal to get an extra day of rest..

DirtyDion03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Kingstonian84*

Leaf fans don't seem to like this type of player though. They are far too focused on the screw ups with defensemen it seems.[/QUOTE]

Speak for yourself and not others, its a preference thing some people like offensive defencmen and others like defensive studs. To me, I can't stand offensive defencemen (guys like Karlasson) who try to act like the 4th forward out there, drives me nuts.

IMO your job as a defencmen is two fold a) seperate the oppostion from the puck b) get the puck up to the forwards so THEY can go on the attack. Again IMO the defensmen's job is to not score goals or join the rush at every turn but to actually defend. I'm all for defensmen being in the offensive zone when there's a powerplay or if the team is trailing late in the game and despertely needs a goal.... other then that I feel they shouldnt be venturing into the other teams zone.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:24 AM
TheMadHatTrick

Fraser is the kind of player a guy like Rielly should be playing with IMO. Stay at home d-man to cover for him, and if anyone tries to mess with the kid, you have the sheriff there to drop the gloves.

TheMadHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Speak for yourself and not others, its a preference thing some people like offensive defencmen and others like defensive studs. To me, I can't stand offensive defencemen (guys like Karlasson) who try to act like the 4th forward out there, drives me nuts.

IMO your job as a defencmen is two fold a) seperate the oppostion from the puck b) get the puck up to the forwards so THEY can go on the attack. Again IMO the defensmen's job is to not score goals or join the rush at every turn but to actually defend. I'm all for defensmen being in the offensive zone when there's a powerplay or if the team is trailing late in the game and despertely needs a goal.... other then that I feel they shouldnt be venturing into the other teams zone.
Me: Leaf fans don't seem to like this type of player.
You: Speak for yourself... I don't like that type of player.

Um, alright then.

It seems we have a different philosophy on this. A defenseman's job is to defend, sure, but there's a lot of other things you need from them to be a successful team. While a guy like Fraser fills his role fairly admirably, when Gardiner was on his game in the playoffs, it was no comparison, IMO. Similarly, guys like Phaneuf and Franson will make mistakes from taking risks offensively from time to time but overall, they're mostly solid and they also have the ability to change the outcome of a game - see Franson mess up in the playoffs vs Boston and later redeeming himself with the big goal. I'm in no way suggesting that you should just ice a team full of Mike Greens and that's all you need. But I'm definitely suggesting that a defenseman who can move the puck up the ice quickly and control the game offensively is a really valuable asset and I think this type of player goes unappreciated a little too often in this city.

When I watch the games, I see Fraser make plenty of mistakes but they're mostly the result of his limitations as a player. I think people seem to be more willing to forgive these or they're talked about less than when a skilled player makes a mistake from pinching in or trying to create offensively.