HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Paul Statsny Travis Zajac upside?

Old
11-27-2006, 02:11 PM
Kafka

vCash: 500
Paul Statsny Travis Zajac upside?

I watched part of the Van-Col game this week-end, and was wondering who you guys think that Statsny and Zajac will turn out. Statsny remembers me of Koivu or Bergeron, and I expect Zajac to be similar. Are those comparisons valid?

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Stasty could indeed become a second Saku Koivu...

Last edited by Freaky Habs Fan: 11-27-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:13 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Sastny should at least be a very good top 6 center. Zajac went to NoDak so he's probably already a meth addict and his teeth will rot out of his head.

Hasbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:32 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
Stastny should at least be a very good top 6 center. Zajac went to NoDak so he's probably already a meth addict and his teeth will rot out of his head.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 02:32 PM
SchwenningerWildWing

Send a message via ICQ to SchwenningerWildWing
Zajac plays a very smart two-way game and has a good positioning on the ice. Looks very mature for a guy with his age. His stats are looking not very impressive but you should remember he plays on a safety first Devils team.

SchwenningerWildWing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:45 PM
Strong Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Don't know for Zajac, who isn't impressing in the AHL statwise, but Stasty could indeed become a second Saku Koivu...
That's because he's in the NHL...

Strong Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 03:46 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7 View Post
....and impressing.

11-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkball7 View Post
Oh, I was thinking about Chucko...sorry about that. Zajac is kind of good right now, but I didn't saw him play enough.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:09 PM
RightKinger

Paul Stastny has impressed me a lot. He sees the ice very well and he has impressed me more than Wolski has. At worst he will be a very good 2nd line center. I haven't enough of Zajac to comment but he has looked good in the games I have seen.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:15 PM
crashlanding

Zajac's upside has been described as that of Rod Brind'Amour's, which, judging by his style, isn't to far off. He's already very good defensively, strong on the puck and along the boards, and very patient. He's shown some nice vision and has a pretty good shot. Right now his main problem is consistency, some nights he doesn't stand out, and he doesn't look to be a "gamebreaker" type yet.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2006, 06:45 PM
Bam Beet*

Stastny is very good in all three zones. He'll be an elite second line center or a decent first center. Doesn't really have game breaking abilities but he sees the ice very well and is strong on the puck. Is a much better passer than a shooter. I'd say Saku Koivu is a good comparison. He doesn't wow you with his offencive numbers but he is very solid in every aspect of the game.

Bam Beet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 06:25 AM
RockLobster
Beatles Guru

Look...both are good, and I think both will bring a whole hell of a lot to the table with their respective clubs.

However...how is it that NJ ALWAYS seems to move up to JUST the right spot to grab these mid-late first round gems!? (Zajac and Parise being the most recent)....

The Devils do to mid-late 1st rounders what the Avs do to any other round BUT the first!

Take me to church, I'll worship like a dog at the shrine of your lies. I'll tell you my sins and you can sharpen your knife.
RockLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Kafka

I know that both are good, and this thread wasn't started to compare both players. I just wanted people to tell their opinion about how they will turn out. Stastny seems to be a larger Koivu, but I am not sure he has the acceleration Koivu used to have before is knee injury. As for Zajac, I have non clue of his playing style.

Kafka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:46 AM
Marc-E-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
I know that both are good, and this thread wasn't started to compare both players. I just wanted people to tell their opinion about how they will turn out. Stastny seems to be a larger Koivu, but I am not sure he has the acceleration Koivu used to have before is knee injury. As for Zajac, I have non clue of his playing style.
Someone tells you that Zajac is a solid two-way player already. What do you want to know more? I see in him a real solid player. You look at him and you see is body language and you know that he's special. He has the tools. Reminds me a young Nieuwendyk, Brind'Amour too. Anyway we will wait & see what kind of player he will become. So I can see him between 55-70 pts a year.

Stastny? I really like his vision on the ice. He doesn't have now the top gear in terms of skating. But you see that he's a warrior and I really like the comparaision with Koivu.

Marc-E- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Colorado Sports Fan

With a little more pro polish, I think Stastny could easily be the Avs #1 Center of the future.

Colorado Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:39 PM
DevilsFan38

I think comparisons of Zajac to Nieuwendyk and Brind'Amour are accurate. I've also heard some compare him to Kirk Muller, but I haven't been a hockey fan for long enough to know what Muller was like.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
I think comparisons of Zajac to Nieuwendyk and Brind'Amour are accurate. I've also heard some compare him to Kirk Muller, but I haven't been a hockey fan for long enough to know what Muller was like.
Muller is actually a very good comparison. Zajac has not shown to have the offensive touch of Nieuwendyk yet or the heavy defense of Brind'Amour. Muller would be in between both of them. Obviously, Zajac has been in the NHL for 2 months, so everything is way too premature to speculate on.
Kirk was solid in all aspects of the game (except for showing up for the Islanders).

Voice of Reason is offline   Reply With Quote