HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Sign Mason Raymond

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2013, 08:15 PM
  #151
Kingstonian84*
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,411
vCash: 500
Ok before we bow down and turn Raymond into a god, lets not forget that his career went off the rales and no team would sign him, its something that needs to be duly noted. Not saying the guy hasn't exceeded expectations here, but lets not label him our saviour either! If Raymond can get 45-50 points and bring it consistently all season then by all means Nonis should resign him but if the guy tails off then let him walk.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
  #152
Pinto
Burn Them All
 
Pinto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Hagersville, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,315
vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Ok before we bow down and turn Raymond into a god, lets not forget that his career went off the rales and no team would sign him, its something that needs to be duly noted. Not saying the guy hasn't exceeded expectations here, but lets not label him our saviour either! If Raymond can get 45-50 points and bring it consistently all season then by all means Nonis should resign him but if the guy tails off then let him walk.
His career didn't "go off the rales". He was one of the victims of the salary cap going down and any other year would have been signed way before camp.

As for the second part, I agree. If he adds 45-50 points and plays well defensively that would be quite the steal.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:51 AM
  #153
Christina Woloski
Registered Something
 
Christina Woloski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Narnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,658
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Ok before we bow down and turn Raymond into a god, lets not forget that his career went off the rales and no team would sign him, its something that needs to be duly noted. Not saying the guy hasn't exceeded expectations here, but lets not label him our saviour either! If Raymond can get 45-50 points and bring it consistently all season then by all means Nonis should resign him but if the guy tails off then let him walk.
Congrats... Not only do you not know how to spell... remotely. You also apparently don't know anything about Raymond.

Salary cap victim. Wanted to play in Canada. Underrated in Vancouver and underrated in the league.

He is a 15 goal, 25 assist defensively capable player when he's healthy. At no time in his career has anything fallen off any RALES.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 05:31 AM
  #154
happyaccident
losing and stuff
 
happyaccident's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
The guy has been amazing, I can't believe what a steal he was, he fits in perfectly with our skilled forwards. I knew he had the speed but the puckhandling and vision, no idea he was this good. Just hope he can keep it up, we'll be looking at doling out another big contract next season.

happyaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:26 PM
  #155
Superstar
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,592
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyaccident View Post
The guy has been amazing, I can't believe what a steal he was, he fits in perfectly with our skilled forwards. I knew he had the speed but the puckhandling and vision, no idea he was this good. Just hope he can keep it up, we'll be looking at doling out another big contract next season.
The Sens go CMac and we got Raymond.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
  #156
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Mason Raymond, this guy is an intelligent hockey player with solid hockey sense. Much better player than I thought, I'll have to admit. Arguably has been the sleeper signing of the year so far.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
  #157
Mindrust
Registered User
 
Mindrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vaughan, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't get the fascination of people with prospects. Ashton and Colborne are good young players but they aren't close to Raymond's skill and experience.
It's usually friends/family/associates of the prospects who vouch for them to play in the big club. No unbiased fan in their right mind would want Colborne on the team, with or without Raymond being signed.

Mindrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:03 AM
  #158
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van
 
Lucbourdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
Mason Raymond, this guy is an intelligent hockey player with solid hockey sense. Much better player than I thought, I'll have to admit. Arguably has been the sleeper signing of the year so far.
Maybe in the east, in the west he was dumb as bricks, and stayed at the outside 24/7.

He got rejuvenated, and the east fits PERFECTLY for his style of game.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:42 AM
  #159
Geese_Howard*
 
Geese_Howard*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 3,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Maybe in the east, in the west he was dumb as bricks, and stayed at the outside 24/7.

He got rejuvenated, and the east fits PERFECTLY for his style of game.
We're also one of the meanest toughest teams in the NHL. I bet his balls grew 3x when he got here.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 06:43 AM
  #160
thewave
Registered User
 
thewave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 9,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
We're also one of the meanest toughest teams in the NHL. I bet his balls grew 3x when he got here.
Hahaha, this is probably true. We do have a pretty good team and it's nice to finally say that. He kind of zips around like Grabo for 1m, always needed on a team is a guy like that to throw the other team off balance and throw them off tempo.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
  #161
Wolfhard
Registered User
 
Wolfhard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Raymond has looked like a top talent everytime he's on the ice.

Reads the play so well, great playmaker, tremendous speed, and he's been nifty + isn't afraid to show his physical side.

Hopefully he can keep this up and be a part of our team long-term.
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but as someone who's watched him since his rookie year, I'd say temper your expectations. Every year in Vancouver, Raymond put together a string of games where he looked unbelievable. Usually it lasts 6-10, and he generally scores at close to a PPG pace. Then he'll go cold and take 20-30 games to get another 5-7 points.

When he's scoring, he's attacking the net, playing physical and driving into the dirty areas. But every time, without fail, he's regressed again to being a perimeter player who speeds wide, and flips the puck at the goalie from the goal line, OR loops around the net for a similar shot on the other side (usually it misses, hits the glass and rebounds out of the zone). A pass to Raymond was always the end of the play because he'd get knocked down, or take a low percentage shot (rarely passing on the fly), which both ended in giveaways.

I hope that being allowed to go to UFA and going unsigned wakes him up and makes him realize that he needs to play hard and gritty all the time in order to be successful. And it's nice to see him on a team where he's getting good minutes and linemates. In Vancouver, he just couldn't keep up his production enough to warrant him getting top 6 minutes, and he'd drop back to being a defensively sound, but frustrating, and undersized 3rd liner.

It sounds like I'm being hard on him, but really, he was an incredibly frustrating player in Vancouver, because he showed so much promise, but just couldn't seem to maintain the level of intensity that he needed to be successful.

Hopefully he's finally got it figured out. It looks like he's in a good place, and getting a good opportunity now. And he might finally be the real deal for you guys. But don't get your hopes up too high. People always got sucked into that in Vancouver, only to be disappointed a handful of games later.

Wolfhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
  #162
JackJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,501
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhard View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but as someone who's watched him since his rookie year, I'd say temper your expectations. Every year in Vancouver, Raymond put together a string of games where he looked unbelievable. Usually it lasts 6-10, and he generally scores at close to a PPG pace. Then he'll go cold and take 20-30 games to get another 5-7 points.

When he's scoring, he's attacking the net, playing physical and driving into the dirty areas. But every time, without fail, he's regressed again to being a perimeter player who speeds wide, and flips the puck at the goalie from the goal line, OR loops around the net for a similar shot on the other side (usually it misses, hits the glass and rebounds out of the zone). A pass to Raymond was always the end of the play because he'd get knocked down, or take a low percentage shot (rarely passing on the fly), which both ended in giveaways.

I hope that being allowed to go to UFA and going unsigned wakes him up and makes him realize that he needs to play hard and gritty all the time in order to be successful. And it's nice to see him on a team where he's getting good minutes and linemates. In Vancouver, he just couldn't keep up his production enough to warrant him getting top 6 minutes, and he'd drop back to being a defensively sound, but frustrating, and undersized 3rd liner.

It sounds like I'm being hard on him, but really, he was an incredibly frustrating player in Vancouver, because he showed so much promise, but just couldn't seem to maintain the level of intensity that he needed to be successful.

Hopefully he's finally got it figured out. It looks like he's in a good place, and getting a good opportunity now. And he might finally be the real deal for you guys. But don't get your hopes up too high. People always got sucked into that in Vancouver, only to be disappointed a handful of games later.
Understandable @ 2.5m per season but acceptable @ 1m per season. We're used to it after Clarke MacArthur.

Hopefully this time around we'll move on to the next bargain vs extending said player to a multi-year contract.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:13 PM
  #163
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!
 
Tyler Biggs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,892
vCash: 500
Everybody loves Raymond!

Hey Canuck fans, Raymond sure is a bust eh?

Mason Raymond was such a great pickup by the Leafs.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:25 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.