HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs Sign Mason Raymond

Old
10-06-2013, 08:15 PM
Kingstonian84*

vCash: 500
Ok before we bow down and turn Raymond into a god, lets not forget that his career went off the rales and no team would sign him, its something that needs to be duly noted. Not saying the guy hasn't exceeded expectations here, but lets not label him our saviour either! If Raymond can get 45-50 points and bring it consistently all season then by all means Nonis should resign him but if the guy tails off then let him walk.

Kingstonian84* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Ok before we bow down and turn Raymond into a god, lets not forget that his career went off the rales and no team would sign him, its something that needs to be duly noted. Not saying the guy hasn't exceeded expectations here, but lets not label him our saviour either! If Raymond can get 45-50 points and bring it consistently all season then by all means Nonis should resign him but if the guy tails off then let him walk.
His career didn't "go off the rales". He was one of the victims of the salary cap going down and any other year would have been signed way before camp.

As for the second part, I agree. If he adds 45-50 points and plays well defensively that would be quite the steal.

Pinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:51 AM
Christina Woloski
Registered Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingstonian84 View Post
Congrats... Not only do you not know how to spell... remotely. You also apparently don't know anything about Raymond.

Salary cap victim. Wanted to play in Canada. Underrated in Vancouver and underrated in the league.

He is a 15 goal, 25 assist defensively capable player when he's healthy. At no time in his career has anything fallen off any RALES.

Christina Woloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 05:31 AM
happyaccident
losing and stuff

The guy has been amazing, I can't believe what a steal he was, he fits in perfectly with our skilled forwards. I knew he had the speed but the puckhandling and vision, no idea he was this good. Just hope he can keep it up, we'll be looking at doling out another big contract next season.

happyaccident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:26 PM
Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyaccident View Post
The guy has been amazing, I can't believe what a steal he was, he fits in perfectly with our skilled forwards. I knew he had the speed but the puckhandling and vision, no idea he was this good. Just hope he can keep it up, we'll be looking at doling out another big contract next season.
The Sens go CMac and we got Raymond.

Superstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Mason Raymond, this guy is an intelligent hockey player with solid hockey sense. Much better player than I thought, I'll have to admit. Arguably has been the sleeper signing of the year so far.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Mindrust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I don't get the fascination of people with prospects. Ashton and Colborne are good young players but they aren't close to Raymond's skill and experience.
It's usually friends/family/associates of the prospects who vouch for them to play in the big club. No unbiased fan in their right mind would want Colborne on the team, with or without Raymond being signed.

Mindrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:03 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Enforcer View Post
Mason Raymond, this guy is an intelligent hockey player with solid hockey sense. Much better player than I thought, I'll have to admit. Arguably has been the sleeper signing of the year so far.
Maybe in the east, in the west he was dumb as bricks, and stayed at the outside 24/7.

He got rejuvenated, and the east fits PERFECTLY for his style of game.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:42 AM
Geese_Howard*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
Maybe in the east, in the west he was dumb as bricks, and stayed at the outside 24/7.

He got rejuvenated, and the east fits PERFECTLY for his style of game.
We're also one of the meanest toughest teams in the NHL. I bet his balls grew 3x when he got here.

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 06:43 AM
thewave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geese_Howard View Post
We're also one of the meanest toughest teams in the NHL. I bet his balls grew 3x when he got here.
Hahaha, this is probably true. We do have a pretty good team and it's nice to finally say that. He kind of zips around like Grabo for 1m, always needed on a team is a guy like that to throw the other team off balance and throw them off tempo.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Wolfhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Raymond has looked like a top talent everytime he's on the ice.

Reads the play so well, great playmaker, tremendous speed, and he's been nifty + isn't afraid to show his physical side.

Hopefully he can keep this up and be a part of our team long-term.
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but as someone who's watched him since his rookie year, I'd say temper your expectations. Every year in Vancouver, Raymond put together a string of games where he looked unbelievable. Usually it lasts 6-10, and he generally scores at close to a PPG pace. Then he'll go cold and take 20-30 games to get another 5-7 points.

When he's scoring, he's attacking the net, playing physical and driving into the dirty areas. But every time, without fail, he's regressed again to being a perimeter player who speeds wide, and flips the puck at the goalie from the goal line, OR loops around the net for a similar shot on the other side (usually it misses, hits the glass and rebounds out of the zone). A pass to Raymond was always the end of the play because he'd get knocked down, or take a low percentage shot (rarely passing on the fly), which both ended in giveaways.

I hope that being allowed to go to UFA and going unsigned wakes him up and makes him realize that he needs to play hard and gritty all the time in order to be successful. And it's nice to see him on a team where he's getting good minutes and linemates. In Vancouver, he just couldn't keep up his production enough to warrant him getting top 6 minutes, and he'd drop back to being a defensively sound, but frustrating, and undersized 3rd liner.

It sounds like I'm being hard on him, but really, he was an incredibly frustrating player in Vancouver, because he showed so much promise, but just couldn't seem to maintain the level of intensity that he needed to be successful.

Hopefully he's finally got it figured out. It looks like he's in a good place, and getting a good opportunity now. And he might finally be the real deal for you guys. But don't get your hopes up too high. People always got sucked into that in Vancouver, only to be disappointed a handful of games later.

Wolfhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:08 AM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhard View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but as someone who's watched him since his rookie year, I'd say temper your expectations. Every year in Vancouver, Raymond put together a string of games where he looked unbelievable. Usually it lasts 6-10, and he generally scores at close to a PPG pace. Then he'll go cold and take 20-30 games to get another 5-7 points.

When he's scoring, he's attacking the net, playing physical and driving into the dirty areas. But every time, without fail, he's regressed again to being a perimeter player who speeds wide, and flips the puck at the goalie from the goal line, OR loops around the net for a similar shot on the other side (usually it misses, hits the glass and rebounds out of the zone). A pass to Raymond was always the end of the play because he'd get knocked down, or take a low percentage shot (rarely passing on the fly), which both ended in giveaways.

I hope that being allowed to go to UFA and going unsigned wakes him up and makes him realize that he needs to play hard and gritty all the time in order to be successful. And it's nice to see him on a team where he's getting good minutes and linemates. In Vancouver, he just couldn't keep up his production enough to warrant him getting top 6 minutes, and he'd drop back to being a defensively sound, but frustrating, and undersized 3rd liner.

It sounds like I'm being hard on him, but really, he was an incredibly frustrating player in Vancouver, because he showed so much promise, but just couldn't seem to maintain the level of intensity that he needed to be successful.

Hopefully he's finally got it figured out. It looks like he's in a good place, and getting a good opportunity now. And he might finally be the real deal for you guys. But don't get your hopes up too high. People always got sucked into that in Vancouver, only to be disappointed a handful of games later.
Understandable @ 2.5m per season but acceptable @ 1m per season. We're used to it after Clarke MacArthur.

Hopefully this time around we'll move on to the next bargain vs extending said player to a multi-year contract.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:13 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Everybody loves Raymond!

Hey Canuck fans, Raymond sure is a bust eh?

Mason Raymond was such a great pickup by the Leafs.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote