HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL: OMG HOCKEY Edition

Closed Thread

Old
10-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

vCash: 500
Lavy's inability to adapt is what got him fired. Every team has the Flyers figured out, it was painfully obvious when the Canes destroyed them last night (not on the score board, but just about everywhere else). It seems this inability to adapt is getting lots of coaches fired. My money is on Mike Yeo getting chopped next.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:14 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Laviolette only knows how to coach one way...go balls out offense and hope your goalie bails you out. He won a cup with Carolina that way (if you remember Carolina's D was pretty terrible at actually playing D but Cam Ward was lights out in the playoffs)

Not coincidentally that is a huge reason why the Flyers have struggled in a general sense recent years. Their D can't move the puck well enough to help push the pace with their forwards like Lavvy wanted, and honestly aren't good enough defensively to just be sitting back and shutting things down, and their goaltending just isn't good enough in general

Lavvy didn't have a good roster to work with but he really isn't much with adapting his coaching style either.
Then why is Holmgren bringing in plodders like Grossmann, L. Schenn, and Hal freaking Gill? Not only is that type of defenceman looking more and more like relics of the past, they aren't at all what goes well with Lavy's system. Why let Carle go? Becasue the fans hated him? Way to identify the players that contribute to your success Paul!

Pronger seems to have ruined the view of defencemen in Philly. They seem to think it was his toughness that made him a good defenceman, whereas it was only a nice complement to him being an excellent defenceman in all facets.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Levitate

Yeah, Homer has done a terrible job addressing the real flaws in Philly's system and instead focused on bringing in more offense

Well, I guess he threw a bunch of money at an over the hill Mark Streit and then called it a day

Old
10-07-2013, 09:18 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

the biggest personnel problem for the Flyers is that all their d-men are one dimensional, and too many are not able to move the puck. Only Timmonen and Streit can carry the puck but Timmonen's skating fell of a cliff, and Streit can't always be on the ice. Braydon Coburn is horrible. Grossman blocks shots but that's it. Luke Schenn is solid, but he's the only dependable member of that corps. Flyers finally seem to have a goaltender that's at least TOLERABLE, they really, really, need one or two good two-way d-men now, or no coach will have any success with this team.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
the biggest personnel problem for the Flyers is that all their d-men are one dimensional, and too many are not able to move the puck. Only Timmonen and Streit can carry the puck but Timmonen's skating fell of a cliff, and Streit can't always be on the ice. Braydon Coburn is horrible. Grossman blocks shots but that's it. Luke Schenn is solid, but he's the only dependable member of that corps. Flyers finally seem to have a goaltender that's at least TOLERABLE, they really, really, need one or two good two-way d-men now, or no coach will have any success with this team.
Meszaros is (was?) actually good, but he is always injured and somehow gets third pairing minutes when he's healthy (though that's on Lavy).

But yeah that D is a mess. "We need better D, let's bring in stay at home guys!" Problem is that those stay at home guys are always trapped in their own end (Grossmann, Schenn, Gill etc.). "Carle is a giveaway machine, addition by subtraction!" Yeah it isn't because he always had the puck and was the core of your transition game that he had a ton of giveaways?

Old
10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
Bullseyes

Quote:
+ They have very few good defensive forwards.

Old
10-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Lavy's inability to adapt is what got him fired. Every team has the Flyers figured out, it was painfully obvious when the Canes destroyed them last night (not on the score board, but just about everywhere else). It seems this inability to adapt is getting lots of coaches fired. My money is on Mike Yeo getting chopped next.
We have a fundamental difference of opinion. Its not easy to adapt when you have a roster thats poorly constructed - as the Flyers do, as the Rangers did/do.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Called that yesterday, was only a matter of time thought he'd get a dozen games at least.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:10 AM
Dr. Ogrodnick

vCash: 661
If the leash was so short, why did they start the season with him? Seems like the better move would have been to fire him in the offseason and give the new coach a little time to implement his system, instead of giving Laviolette 3 more games with a flawed roster.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Ogrodnick View Post
If the leash was so short, why did they start the season with him? Seems like the better move would have been to fire him in the offseason and give the new coach a little time to implement his system, instead of giving Laviolette 3 more games with a flawed roster.
Craig Berube is taking over. Get ready for the return of the neanderthal Flyers.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:00 AM
Riverdale

It's never Holmgren's fault in Philly.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:03 AM
azaloum90

poor lavi... he'll find work.

wish they had fired him earlier. he'd be a better coach than AV in my opinion.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:08 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post

Same, I think he's one of the best coaches in the NHL.

Would have loved to have a shot at him over the summer (+ i believe he's a former prospect of the Rangers system).

Old
10-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post

Always liked him.

Doubt he'd be ready to jump into another situation where he'd be the fall guy for a poor roster.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:17 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Not surprised by this at all. Another coach set in his ways unable to adapt to a roster that's changed.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
We have a fundamental difference of opinion. Its not easy to adapt when you have a roster thats poorly constructed - as the Flyers do, as the Rangers did/do.
no no I definitely agree with you. The Flyers roster has many, many holes. I don't even think Lavy should have been fired, but 3 G in 3 games is not going to cut it for Homer I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseyes View Post
+ They have very few good defensive forwards.
That is also an issue, but not nearly as pressing as no two-way defenders. They at least have Couturier, Read, and Talbot to clean up the mess every now and then. But because of what he does, Couturier just might be the most overrated Flyer by their fanbase, they think his defensive skill is on par with Jere Lehtinen it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Meszaros is (was?) actually good, but he is always injured and somehow gets third pairing minutes when he's healthy (though that's on Lavy).

But yeah that D is a mess. "We need better D, let's bring in stay at home guys!" Problem is that those stay at home guys are always trapped in their own end (Grossmann, Schenn, Gill etc.). "Carle is a giveaway machine, addition by subtraction!" Yeah it isn't because he always had the puck and was the core of your transition game that he had a ton of giveaways?
I definitely agree on giving up Carle being a dumb idea. He WAS their transition game, forget that he was a part of it, he was it. Meszaros is absolutely awful now. I watched the Canes game and the some parts of the game against Montreal, I'd argue he was probably the worst Flyer on the ice from what I saw.

Last edited by Raspewtin: 10-07-2013 at 11:31 AM.
Old
10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
no no I definitely agree with you. The Flyers roster has many, many holes. I don't even think Lavy should have been fired, but 3 G in 3 games is not going to cut it for Homer I guess...
I think it's more surprising that he didn't get fired after last season than him only lasting 3 games.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I think it's more surprising that he didn't get fired after last season than him only lasting 3 games.
Apparently Ed Snider said this years training camp was the worst camp he'd ever seen and that played a big role in the firing

Old
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
Blue Blooded

Quote:

That is also an issue, but not nearly as pressing as no two-way defenders. They at least have Couturier, Read, and Talbot to clean up the mess every now and then. But because of what he does, Couturier just might be the most overrated Flyer by their fanbase, they think his defensive skill is on par with Jere Lehtinen it seems.

I definitely agree on giving up Carle being a dumb idea. He WAS their transition game, forget that he was a part of it, he was it. Meszaros is absolutely awful now. I watched the Canes game and the some parts of the game against Montreal, I'd argue he was probably the worst Flyer on the ice from what I saw.
Yeah, I left in the disclaimer for Meszaros as I haven't watched him this year and his stats have been beyond brutal so far.

Holmgren is basically running the team as the average HF poster would; constantly trading everyone, signing free agents, and mistaking grit and toughness for defensive prowess.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:11 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Yeah, I left in the disclaimer for Meszaros as I haven't watched him this year and his stats have been beyond brutal so far.

Holmgren is basically running the team as the average HF poster would; constantly trading everyone, signing free agents, and mistaking grit and toughness for defensive prowess.
basically, slats pre-lockout era

Old
10-07-2013, 12:32 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Personally, I think Lavy is a good coach and Holmgren is a buffoon of a GM. The Flyers are now one of the worst managed teams out there. It has been one side-show after another. Ship Bobrovsky, keep Bryzgalov. Move out Carter and Richards, watch them reunite 7 months later for a Cup. Buy out Bryzgalov, roll a duo of Emery and Mason (how anyone could think Emery was the real deal simply because of his numbers from playing on the unbeaten Hawks last year is beyond me, let alone someone whose entire job is to understand these things). I just don't get what's going on in Philly.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:51 PM
Aufheben
The jam must flow...

vCash: 130
Berube and his 3,149 NHL/PIM will be a perfect fit with the Flyers, lol.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:26 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Berube.

Makes Vigneault look like Bowman

Anyone see the Winnipeg crowds 5 minute(or so) ovation for Teemu last night? Had to wipe a bug away from my eye as a long time Jets fan

Old
10-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Bullseyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Anyone see the Winnipeg crowds 5 minute(or so) ovation for Teemu last night? Had to wipe a bug away from my eye as a long time Jets fan
Emotional to say the least.

Also, Sean Monahan has been impressive so far. He's not flashy, but he's doing well (regardless of his +/-).

Old
10-07-2013, 02:23 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
How many coaches have gone to the Stanley Cup Finals twice since 2005 other than Laviolette? Bylsma, Babcock, Quenneville and Julien? Laviolette did it with two different franchises. He is a good coach and will find work again in the NHL.

What I don't get is why he didn't get fired during the offseason. What wasn't bad enough to fire him for after a 48-game season that lead to his firing after an extra 3? 48 and 51 games aren't too far apart. If he had been fired during the summer, his replacement would have had the benefit of a full training camp.

Closed Thread