HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Old
10-07-2013, 10:18 AM
MP92
Ginger Jesus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Trade Giroux and Voracek!

Man if that happened and they went on to win the cup, I think I'd go on a rampage

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:20 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardnell View Post
Why didn't they look outside the system, Larry Robinson comes to mind as an assistant who should be a head
He has had health issues in the past and the media maelstrom in Philadelphia would not be satisfying or complementary.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Umm, Homer should be handing in his letter of resignation.

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
PricePkPatch

My post on the main board. I say it with respect to your team and fanbase:

Holy crap. Now the Flyers might become dangerous again.

I've said it countless times in the GDTs against the Habs on saturday: Philly's roster isn't bad at all; it's actually damn good. They are just playing TERRIBLE hockey for the kind of players they have.

Speedy Fowards + Pylon Defensemen is not the sort of lineup you use for an all-out offensive transition. Laviolette just didn't seemed to care that his defensemen were left alone and cause way too much turnover during their transition play; or that huge defensemen need tighter backchecking from the forwards.

There's a reason their PK was good but 5v5 mediocre.

In short, your game system was perfect for when you had a D like Pronger, who was both a great shutdown yet reliable in passing or carrying the puck. Since you lost him, your defense has been... immobile, and your forwards aren't compensating for that lack of mobility. You need a tighter system until you can recover a more opened gameplay.

Montreal's problem was the opposite Under Jacque Martin; we had very mobile top Ds, but we kept a very tight defensive system that was not leveraging our strenghts. It's not about having good or bad players; it's having a system that uses what you have instead of forcing players to play against their strenghts.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
I get all the Snider hate, and I get that the Media is "doing it's job" but that is a completely classless question to ask with Berube in the room.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:23 AM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Is anyone else surprised that Jody Shelley wasn't named head coach?

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:23 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Although I wasn't really a fan of it a Patrick Roy like blowup from Chief in his first game would be epic.
It would be great

I remember a vid (that I can't find anymore) on youtube of Homer as coach standing on the bench swinging a stick around cause he was pissed after a hit that occurred on ice. It's absolutely hilarious to see former tough guys lose control behind the bench.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:25 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
I get all the Snider hate, and I get that the Media is "doing it's job" but that is a completely classless question to ask with Berube in the room.
You know when a question starts off with "I don't mean to be disrespectful", the question's usually going to be exactly that.

OgbertTheNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:26 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
This management has been thrown too many softballs.....again I have no problem seeing Mr Peter Pan Ed Snider squirm considering the crap he's been pulling with his meddling...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Striiker
Orange and Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark One View Post
Snider wasn't saying that in a general sense though, it was in response to a pathetic question that (paraphrasing) "Isn't it time to move away from a culture of not having won a cup in 38 years that Berube is a part of and get a fresh perspective?"

It was a ridiculous question - it's not like every coach they've had in the past 38 years came from within the organization, not even close. They've had plenty of "fresh perspectives" in the past, including Laviolette.
THe questions asked sounded like they were specifically asked to try to get people angry. Really annoying

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:32 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
You know when a question starts off with "I don't mean to be disrespectful", the question's usually going to be exactly that.

10-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's an ass coach. Runs the PK.
Dude give him at least 1 game before saying he's ass.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:36 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1900
For purposes of setting current coaching responsibilities:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=21134

Quote:
Berube will not have an interim tag on his job title. This is his team for the forseeable future.

Also let go was assistant coach Kevin McCarthy. The new assistant coaches will be John Paddock and Ian Laperriere.

Joe Mullen remains as an assistant coach who watches games from the press box and communicates with the bench. He will also continue to work with the power play. Jeff Reese remains as the goaltending coach.

Berube served as an assistant coach for the Flyers for parts of seven seasons under both John Stevens and Laviolette.

His coaching career began as a player/coach with the Philadelphia Phantoms in the 2003-04 season and then became a full-time assistant for the Phantoms the following season.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:36 AM
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
It's the same when people say "no offense but", then say something highly offensive.

Old
10-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by xifentoozlerix View Post
Loved every bit of Berube's answers.
Agreed, not the biggest fan of Berube, but with Lappy and Paddock as assistants, the team will work hard.

Liked his answers as to what is wrong:

1. Team D away from the puck is not good enough
2. Compete level is not good enough.

There is no excuse for this.

As far as Lavy goes, he was a good coach until every other coach figured him out. The talent doesn't match the system. He refused to change.

What is so frustrating is that last year, when all the D went down, they changed their system to a simpler, puck support system - and we went on a winning streak that cost us Seth Jones. If Lavy can win with Schenn-Lauridsen, Gustafsson-Lilja and Konan-Manning as his D pairings, he should have been able to win with the current 6 (as bad as Timonen is playing).

The team clearly just doesn't believe in the Lavy's system any more. We'll see if the Chief can do any better. If not, Homer and Chief are gone, and Hexy will choose a new coach after the season.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kevin Danko
Web Design

I wonder how much the Laughton situation played into this decision...It seems like the GM and Coach were not on the same path at all.

Old
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Par for the course, trying to read the main board thread about this was a lesson in frustration and futility.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:39 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
It would be great

I remember a vid (that I can't find anymore) on youtube of Homer as coach standing on the bench swinging a stick around cause he was pissed after a hit that occurred on ice. It's absolutely hilarious to see former tough guys lose control behind the bench.
I can't really speak of their coaching abilities (at least as head coach for Berube) but I do like how they have two high-engery guys like him & Lappy behind the bench now.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgbertTheNerd View Post
It's the same when people say "no offense but", then say something highly offensive.
Everytime you hear someone say "...but" you know something's coming

kudymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Esq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
For this to happen so soon, I think there had to be problems in the locker room, too. Leadership must have also been behind the move IMO
I don't think there is any specific problem in our locker room. I think the problem is that we lack solid leadership amongst the players. We traded away Richards and Carter (and Gagne) shortly after losing in the Cup Finals with the intent of handing over the leadership reins to Pronger and Giroux. Then Pronger suffered a career-ending injury. Giroux had a break-out season with 90+ points and a solid showing in the playoffs. But since then, he has appeared to let things go to his head a bit and he hasn't shown the same professionalism and determination that he did earlier in his career.

96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OgbertTheNerd
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Dude give him at least 1 game before saying he's ass.
- "Hey, Ass coach!"

- "Yeah, you got that right, buddy!"

Old
BobbyClarkeFan16

I suspect Paddock is going to overhaul the entire defensive scheme and make it a system in which forwards are going to be held more accountable and will be more active in helping out the defense. The defense won't be bull rushed as much as guys like Timonen and Streit aren't going to get pounded every time they touch the puck. I'm very interested to see how things are going to look against Florida.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
Par for the course, trying to read the main board thread about this was a lesson in frustration and futility.
When you do find the people that actually know what is actually going on, it does make you feel a bit better, but you have to wade through all the crap to do so...

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 10:40 AM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
This management has been thrown too many softballs.....again I have no problem seeing Mr Peter Pan Ed Snider squirm considering the crap he's been pulling with his meddling...

Oh believe me im not saying take it easy on ed...im saying that it was a ****** thing to do with Berube right there. The guy just got hired and your basically trashing the hire to the guys face. Chiefs a big boy and can handle himself but I just think that it was an inappropriate time for the question...ask it in side scrums

Old
10-07-2013, 10:42 AM
LegionOfDoom91

I hope this is how Homer sent Lavi on his way:

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote