HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Old
10-07-2013, 11:26 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2503
An additional Berube interview:

Craig Berube... joins @MikeGill975 and Todd Ranck at 3:30 today on 97.3 ESPN.

http://973espn.com/

97.3 ESPN (south Jersey)

There is a team meeting prior to that -- players and coach(es).

The only horse to win the Florida Derby, the Kentucky Derby and Breeders Cup Classic. Sire to multiple Grade 1 champions. The last horse to sire a winner in each Triple Crown race. Grandsire to American Pharoah.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-07-2013 at 11:44 AM.
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
Flying

vCash: 500
why would you wait until the beginning of the season to fire him instead of during the offseason where you actually had people worth picking up as head coach instead of having to go with the interim now.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:28 AM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Berube. I'm not surprised. The goon technique, and the dump and chase will continue.

Why wouldn't the Flyers consider hiring a guy like Mark Messier as coach. He was snubbed by the Rangers, so I'm sure Mess would love to come back and haunt those bums.
Just a thought.

Berube. Gimme a ****ing break.

Why is Holmgren still employed?
I'm with you. Messier would have been very high on my list

NHLAlert is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Berube. I'm not surprised. The goon technique, and the dump and chase will continue.

Why wouldn't the Flyers consider hiring a guy like Mark Messier as coach. He was snubbed by the Rangers, so I'm sure Mess would love to come back and haunt those bums.
Just a thought.

Berube. Gimme a ****ing break.

Why is Holmgren still employed?
lol. Odd post, but ok.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
My post on the main board. I say it with respect to your team and fanbase:

Holy crap. Now the Flyers might become dangerous again.

I've said it countless times in the GDTs against the Habs on saturday: Philly's roster isn't bad at all; it's actually damn good. They are just playing TERRIBLE hockey for the kind of players they have.

Speedy Fowards + Pylon Defensemen is not the sort of lineup you use for an all-out offensive transition. Laviolette just didn't seemed to care that his defensemen were left alone and cause way too much turnover during their transition play; or that huge defensemen need tighter backchecking from the forwards.

There's a reason their PK was good but 5v5 mediocre.

In short, your game system was perfect for when you had a D like Pronger, who was both a great shutdown yet reliable in passing or carrying the puck. Since you lost him, your defense has been... immobile, and your forwards aren't compensating for that lack of mobility. You need a tighter system until you can recover a more opened gameplay.

Montreal's problem was the opposite Under Jacque Martin; we had very mobile top Ds, but we kept a very tight defensive system that was not leveraging our strenghts. It's not about having good or bad players; it's having a system that uses what you have instead of forcing players to play against their strenghts.
you sir, are my hero for the day. This is 100% true.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLAlert View Post
I'm with you. Messier would have been very high on my list
They can hire him at a later point if they want too.

Old
10-07-2013, 11:30 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

coach.... GM.... someone had to be accountable... this Flyers team is too talented (and/or overpaid) to miss the playoffs.

Life without Promger and Briere has been hard to take. Bryz was unfairly dissed imo. The Schenn bro experiment has yet to bear fruition.

The Flyers ought to be able to compete/spank the Pens and Caps... nothing less is expected.... compete with them in the new Metropolitan division or get the heck outta town!

Giroux
Simmonds
Talbot
Timonen

.... Mezsaros, Streit, Lecavalier worthy of mention

(forgive me Hartnell, Couturier, Read... but me man, you've sucked!)

Everone else has been pathetic and I hope it's because of coaching...

Last edited by VanIslander: 10-07-2013 at 11:38 AM.
VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Sorry, I misread your post.

Edited mine.
No problem. I understand why you might have a thin skin of comments coming from certain... fanbases.

I really like what the Flyers have becomed, and the more you go, the more I believe you are getting rid of the bad parts. Pete Laviolette was one of these stupid parts that just were driving your team to fail. It looked like he happened to have success once with a certain way of coaching, and now think it's a UNIVERSAL methodology of success, no matter your team composition.

Am still trying to find the perfect Trade for Simmonds; and only because I know you would never trade away Giroux. These are two of my favourite hockey players, and the top 2 non-habs

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:31 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Snider says worst training camp in his 40 years...really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
why would you wait until the beginning of the season to fire him instead of during the offseason where you actually had people worth picking up as head coach instead of having to go with the interim now.

This is not interim.

Danko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:32 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

I was never really that into firing Laviolette but it started growing on me real fast this year. Wish him the best of luck but a change was really needed.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Couturier Effect

Messier still has a position in the Rangers organization. Something tells me he's not too upset about no being named head coach.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Quote:
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 1m
Berube will bring a more defensive style, one that creates offense off its D, Homer says.#Flyers

Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 3m
Snider said the #Flyers' training camp was the worst he's seen in 40 years.
lmao, damn

kicking peter while he's down

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:33 AM
captainpaxil

you dont play that long being that slow without knowing angles and plays. wouldnt surprise me at all to learn that chief is an x's and o's guy. definitely expecting them to go to a more defensive oriented system but im pretty sure the "we're a puck persuit team" tag is the company line

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:34 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
lmao, damn

kicking peter while he's down
Still, sounds like it should be fun. Definitely different from what we've had in a long while (hopefully).

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:38 AM
Hiesenberg

I feel like we are going to see a very conservative team for a little while aka snoozefest

Old
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I feel like we are going to see a very conservative team for a little while aka snoozefest
Better than the snooze feast of watching us get our ***** kick in a "high octane offense".

Oh and being defensively responsible doesn't mean we are playing super defensive.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:41 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Yet Patterson took over the team, made them more successful but gets fired because the team likes in house coaches.
Never understood that move either...

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PricePkPatch

Quote:
I understand the worry, but you actually have the speedy forward to still have a very respectable offense despite a tighter game system.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:
Yeah no doubt.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Sam Carchidi ‏@BroadStBull 1m
Berube will bring a more defensive style, one that creates offense off its D, Homer says.#Flyers
Sounds good, but I'll hold my breath. I just want this team to actually look like an NHL team.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
My post on the main board. I say it with respect to your team and fanbase:

Holy crap. Now the Flyers might become dangerous again.

I've said it countless times in the GDTs against the Habs on saturday: Philly's roster isn't bad at all; it's actually damn good. They are just playing TERRIBLE hockey for the kind of players they have.

Speedy Fowards + Pylon Defensemen is not the sort of lineup you use for an all-out offensive transition. Laviolette just didn't seemed to care that his defensemen were left alone and cause way too much turnover during their transition play; or that huge defensemen need tighter backchecking from the forwards.

There's a reason their PK was good but 5v5 mediocre.

In short, your game system was perfect for when you had a D like Pronger, who was both a great shutdown yet reliable in passing or carrying the puck. Since you lost him, your defense has been... immobile, and your forwards aren't compensating for that lack of mobility. You need a tighter system until you can recover a more opened gameplay.

Montreal's problem was the opposite Under Jacque Martin; we had very mobile top Ds, but we kept a very tight defensive system that was not leveraging our strenghts. It's not about having good or bad players; it's having a system that uses what you have instead of forcing players to play against their strenghts.
Whoa. It's rare to see an outside fan realizing the same things we've realized, instead of spouting "lol d sux lol flyzr sux"

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
coach.... GM.... someone had to be accountable... this Flyers team is too talented (and/or overpaid) to miss the playoffs.

Life without Promger and Briere has been hard to take. [/b]Bryz was unfairly dissed imo. The Schenn bro experiment has yet to bear fruition.[/b]

The Flyers ought to be able to compete/spank the Pens and Caps... nothing less is expected.... compete with them in the new Metropolitan division or get the heck outta town!

Giroux
Simmonds
Talbot
Timonen

.... Mezsaros, Streit, Lecavalier worthy of mention

(forgive me Hartnell, Couturier, Read... but me man, you've sucked!)

Everone else has been pathetic and I hope it's because of coaching...
Losing Briere is actually addition by subtraction. He was horrendous last year and destroyed every line or PP unit he was on. It was infuriating that Briere would crap all over the ice, get more ice time, then Couturier would make a minor mistake and get benched.

Lavi was doing the same thing with Luke this year. Schenn has played well overall. Better than Mez. But he has been getting sat because he'll make a mistake and that's it. It can't be good for his confidence. But, Mez was one of his "guys."

Bryz deserved every shred of criticism he got. He was putrid. A lot of pro-hockey GMs agree with me, hence why all he could find was a tryout deal in the ECHL. He was seriously THAT bad.

10-07-2013, 11:45 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

The Flyers already can't score they might as well play defensively and stop the other team from scoring

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:46 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Better than the snooze feast of watching us get our ***** kick in a "high octane offense".

Oh and being defensively responsible doesn't mean we are playing super defensive.
This. Winning > Entertaining, fast pace offense that fails

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mehar

Guys sorry for my ignorance- but from the outside looking in why was Peter fired after only 3 games, when you could have fired him in the off-season and had a bigger pool of more qualified coaches than Berube to choose from? It is only the first week of a season, and why not make the move after assessing the team play after 10-15 games?

Mehar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Teezax

I don't know that Berube will be any better tbh.
Not there are much better options out there, I just want to see some god damn effort out there and get the best out of this roster, our lineup is way better than it's playing.

Teezax is offline   Reply With Quote