HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Old
10-07-2013, 11:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Just to be clear:

Ed Snider said this years training camp was the worst he ever seen.

Ed Snider okayed promoting the assistant coach of the team who had the worst training camp he's ever seen.

Makes sense.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
a very small sample size but they have scored 3 goals in 3 games, so they need to play more defensive?

Justified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:49 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
The Flyers already can't score they might as well play defensively and stop the other team from scoring
Actually, you would be surprised how much a more defensive system will help your offense. How can you play "all offense" when you keep getting turnovered in your own zone? Your Ds are often one step behind the opposition's forechecking and can't breakout for crap.

Having a forward in the high-D zone to open the passing option for deep D-men will allow you to get out of your zone with much more regularily. You will have less outnumbering in your initial rush, but I believe your big wingers are strong enough on the puck to wait for reinforcement.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehar View Post
Guys sorry for my ignorance- but from the outside looking in why was Peter fired after only 3 games, when you could have fired him in the off-season and had a bigger pool of more qualified coaches than Berube to choose from? It is only the first week of a season, and why not make the move after assessing the team play after 10-15 games?
Ed Snider.

Yeah, it would've made so much more sense to have dropped him after last season if it was planned. I don't think you can focus just on 3 games though--the entire preseason was horrifying, and apparently the players may have been tuning him out during training camp.

Zod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:51 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
I feel like we are going to see a very conservative team for a little while aka snoozefest
conservative 5vs5 is great....lord knows we have the talent to score on the pp.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5602
Quote:
Guys sorry for my ignorance- but from the outside looking in why was Peter fired after only 3 games, when you could have fired him in the off-season and had a bigger pool of more qualified coaches than Berube to choose from? It is only the first week of a season, and why not make the move after assessing the team play after 10-15 games?
Because Holmgren

Seriously.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Yes..many of us made this argument at the end of last season and I said it would be yet another mistake by our GM to keep him that he would have to fix..which he seems to have a habit of doing. There is NO EXCUSE for it....NONE. Wanting to see if he could change with a full training camp was beyond myopic.....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
aemoreira1981

I'm a fan of another team...but how much longer does Paul Holmgren remain in his role? I would hope that he's fired after the season if they miss the playoffs again...that defense strikes no fear other than Luke Schenn.

As Ed Snider is now merely an employee of Comcast (with Comcast owning the majority stake in the team now), I don't imagine that the Roberts family pays much attention to the hockey product as much as their media assets, but is Ed Snider on the hot seat as well?

aemoreira1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:52 AM
Codith

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Actually, you would be surprised how much a more defensive system will help your offense. How can you play "all offense" when you keep getting turnovered in your own zone? Your Ds are often one step behind the opposition's forechecking and can't breakout for crap.

Having a forward in the high-D zone to open the passing option for deep D-men will allow you to get out of your zone with much more regularily. You will have less outnumbering in your initial rush, but I believe your big wingers are strong enough on the puck to wait for reinforcement.

Every Flyer fan should pretty much just listen to this guy, he summed it up precisely.

Only question I have is whether Berube can implement the right system, time will tell I guess.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Holmgren.

GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
agreed GKJ.
I have no issue in the firing. A little surprised it was this quick but whatever. They should of canned the whole staff. Nothing is going to change.
but in the end I am not shocked they went with Berube.
let me guess, Riley Cote is head coach of the Phantoms

the way this organization makes changes is so predictable.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
They said they wanted to give him a full training camp (which they didn't have last year thanks to the lockout) to improve. And IMO, the fact that they finished the season strong (winning 10 of 11 IIRC) also helped Lavy's situation...at least in the eyes of the organization.

Homer also said it wasn't the fact they lost those 3 games, it was HOW they lost. Said they looked lost, which they did.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
we better see a better effort in the games upcoming.
agreed. this team's lack of effort for the last few seasons is totally not acceptable ...

Bernie Parent 1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Zod
Disappointment Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
I'm a fan of another team...but how much longer does Paul Holmgren remain in his role?
I imagine Hextall'll take over if we miss the playoffs again. Snider's got to have Holmgren on a short leash, and they like promoting from within/former players.

Zod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Holmgren.
dont you know hes smarter then all of us combined?

balls of steel man. balls of steel

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:54 AM
SolidSnakeUS

I hope the first thing of business is to send down Newbury and bring up either Raffl, Akeson or Laughton.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Just to be clear:

Ed Snider said this years training camp was the worst he ever seen.

Ed Snider okayed promoting the assistant coach of the team who had the worst training camp he's ever seen.

Makes sense.
With Ed Snider around and Holmgren we are going to continue spinning our wheels...

Snider is beyong senile and he is an arrogant dude who doesn't like being made to look the fool but sadly he is.....

I love how his level of optimism was at "another level" and how he was "on alert" at the draft...guy is dillusional

Old
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I hope the first thing of business is to send down Newbury and bring up either Raffl, Akeson or Laughton.
They need to fill the 3rd line role. Raffl would fit what Berube wants of the whole team defense. He also looked extremely good in his first AHL game.

Laughton can not return.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1447
Quote:
Whether the perspective of failure falls on coaches, players, management or a combination, the ultimate reason is a lack of cohesion and lackluster play something that manifested in a terrible preseason. The exhibition games generally serve a universal purpose but what transpired early in the regular season, in at least the last two games, was visible in the preseason. The availability of other coaches isn't likely going to change from today to a 10-15 game window in the future; however, the fortunes of the team could be moribund at that stage if the two road efforts were representative of the course.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:56 AM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
We can't bring up Laughton now except for as an emergency call up.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

So if the Flyers were 2-1 or even 1-2, would Lavy have still been fired? Just doesn't make sense after three games. It was obviously on Sniders mind during the summer, he just needed another reason to do it, an 0-3 start was it.

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemoreira1981 View Post
I'm a fan of another team...but how much longer does Paul Holmgren remain in his role? I would hope that he's fired after the season if they miss the playoffs again...that defense strikes no fear other than Luke Schenn.

As Ed Snider is now merely an employee of Comcast (with Comcast owning the majority stake in the team now), I don't imagine that the Roberts family pays much attention to the hockey product as much as their media assets, but is Ed Snider on the hot seat as well?
The defense is actually very good. It was not fit for Lavy's system, which is why it looked bad at times. A new coach that will adapt his system to the defense's strengths should improve things.

Old
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justified View Post
a very small sample size but they have scored 3 goals in 3 games, so they need to play more defensive?
The reason theory could not score was no time in the offensive zone. They looked fine when they got there!

That stems from bad breakout and neutral zone play due to rushing and forcing plays that are not there... and having no intelligent way of beating a 1-3-1. (like intelligent dump and chase to spread the D, make them cheat and open more space through the middle as the game progresses.)

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:58 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
They said they wanted to give him a full training camp (which they didn't have last year thanks to the lockout) to improve. And IMO, the fact that they finished the season strong (winning 10 of 11 IIRC) also helped Lavy's situation...at least in the eyes of the organization.

Homer also said it wasn't the fact they lost those 3 games, it was HOW they lost. Said they looked lost, which they did.
That stupid meaningless streak cost us on so many levels.....

Holmgren needs to look up the word anomaly ..they happen

It was plain as day that the guy was beyond his expiration.....

Old
10-07-2013, 11:59 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paisano View Post
So if the Flyers were 2-1 or even 1-2, would Lavy have still been fired? Just doesn't make sense after three games. It was obviously on Sniders mind during the summer, he just needed another reason to do it, an 0-3 start was it.
It wasn't the 0-3 record that got him fired. It was HOW the team played in those three games. They looked lost.