HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
09-30-2013, 01:55 PM
redbranch

vCash: 500
The best part, was the poor girl was trying to teach me more of a figure skating style. "Sorry, I'm just not doing jazz hands while doing crossovers"

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 02:03 PM
bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbranch View Post
The best part, was the poor girl was trying to teach me more of a figure skating style. "Sorry, I'm just not doing jazz hands while doing crossovers"
Ok. Yes. that would be a lot worse.

I feel much better now.

bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Flying

this will be my second year on the high school yeam. last year kind of got screwed up because of illness.

last year i played on the wing but this year i'm thinking about asking about playing goal.i don't even know why.

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 08:30 AM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn View Post
Ok. Yes. that would be a lot worse.

I feel much better now.
everything is really set up for kids, adults are usually an afterthought. Which is how it should be. It just means us middle aged crazy people who get the bug have to be flexible and have a sense of humor about things. Maybe if I lived in toronto it would be different, but in NJ I take what I can get, where I can get it

Old
10-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Canadiens1958

Learn to Skate (For Adults)

A few years ago, 2004-05 season, a Vietnamese father(played soccer) enrolled his 4 year old son in a Learn to Skate program. Took copious notes and videos then applied everything during free skate time at the arena to learn skating, eventually hockey.

Today the son is a double letter bantam, Father plays a reasonable level of pick-up hockey 35+.

A few comments.

Jazz Hands and other arm movement exercises on skates are all about proper arm and hand movement that are necessary for proper skating balance, reactions should you fall, speed, turning, etc. Don't ignore such aspects of learning to skate.

The basics of teaching youngster to skate, eventually playing hockey, apply to all ages. No different from teaching or learning a new language, a new skill - woodworking, etc. You have to get the basics down since they are the foundation and they impact safety.

Canadiens1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Beezeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
this will be my second year on the high school yeam. last year kind of got screwed up because of illness.

last year i played on the wing but this year i'm thinking about asking about playing goal.i don't even know why.
Have you ever played goalie before? Probably not the best idea to try it out in a HS game. You will end up hurting your team

Beezeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:16 PM
Reilly

First time @ Intro to Hockey for Adults

After six months of learning to skate I finally was able to attend a few sessions of Intro to Hockey. The setup is roughly 1 hour of drills + 1 hour pickup game. These are my thoughts. Keep in mind that I never put on skates before the age of 47 and had zero interest in hockey prior to 6 months ago. I found this *noob* db to be helpful. I hope my post will help someone else who is thinking of getting into hockey.

The Bad Parts:
* Not enough true beginners in the class. The sessions skewed heavily towards players with some experience vs. beginners. I guess there's not enough true beginners to pay for the ice time.
* Help/instruction from the session leaders is less than I’d expected. This is likely due to the large number of players who showed up. Directing such a large group doesn't leave much time for instructing the true beginners.
* Too many good players showed at some sessions and that clearly scared away some of the beginners from staying for the game part.
* A few of the good players each week are significantly above the abilities of almost everyone else which dramatically reduces the fun factor. There seemed to be an inverse relationship between the number of super-good players who showed up and the amount laughing and smiles there were among the players.
* One week it was clear that the better players were taking long shifts and given the bench was full it meant long waits for everyone else.
* In a couple of the weeks I attended, the pickup game was wildly unbalanced skill-wise. Almost all of the action occurred at one end and even if the beginner-heavy team was able to get the puck up the ice, some player on the other end immediately stole it and raced it to the other end to get a one-on-one with a goalie.

Now for the Good Parts:
* The regulars were very friendly and welcoming to me and other newbies.
* I rarely saw obnoxious behavior during the games (except for stealing the puck from an obvious beginner who can barely get the puck down the ice even if no one else was near them).
* Playing in the games is fun, even when you're wildly outmatched. You won't be able to do much on offense but it doesn't take a lot of skating skill to get in front of the goal and tie up opponents sticks.
* The hockey-based drills were good. Much better for my development than the games. Games would be more useful if they were limited to less-skilled players.
* Wide age-range of participants. A few women playing. If you go, there will be someone else there near your age and skill level.

A very positive experience overall. How could it be better for me (and that's what's important, right?):

Fewer players so I get more time being active. I'm there to skate, not watch some guy relive the glory of his high school hockey days.
Fewer super-good players. If you can play above C-level, you should not be beating up on beginners. If you must attend, at least try to include the beginners rather than being a one-person team. Will the noobs likely miss any awesome pass you send their way? Yes, but that doesn't change the fact that your pass was awesome!
Better balance between teams. Put someone in charge of assigning the teams rather than leaving it up to randomness of what color jersey you happened to wear that night. It seems to me that everyone should be in favor of balanced teams in a pickup game.
Some way to enforce short-shifts.

I look forward to reading others' thoughts and opinions.

Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:32 PM
FinePoint

Hi all
So played as a spare last night for the first time in years. Great fun
We had a huge mix of players older/younger and faster and slower.
I'm playing D. There is a particular skater on the other team who can blow by pretty much everyone on the ice. Should I be staying further back when my guys are in the offensive zone? (Like neutral zone near red line)
I think I played it ok, as I'm good skating backwards, and at least was able to stay with him when I had the momentum and distance start up.
Thanks

Non-contact men's 30+ league.
G

FinePoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:06 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Yesterday I had my first-ever hockey practice. Of course I was by far the worst player on the ice but I don't really care since I still had a lot of fun! Other than I expected, nobody laughed at me for anything I did and everybody just accepted that I'm new to the game. I can't wait for my next practice on Tuesday!

One question that I have: the part of the stick tape that touches the ice was completely gone. I put some tape just on the bottom of the blade to support it so that it didn't expose the blade. However, I could see that tape layer afterwards because the actual tape job was completely ripped of. Am I doing something wrong, do I use bad tape (it's made by Lowry) or is it just normal?
Thanks!

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Canadiens1958

Pro Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
Yesterday I had my first-ever hockey practice. Of course I was by far the worst player on the ice but I don't really care since I still had a lot of fun! Other than I expected, nobody laughed at me for anything I did and everybody just accepted that I'm new to the game. I can't wait for my next practice on Tuesday!

One question that I have: the part of the stick tape that touches the ice was completely gone. I put some tape just on the bottom of the blade to support it so that it didn't expose the blade. However, I could see that tape layer afterwards because the actual tape job was completely ripped of. Am I doing something wrong, do I use bad tape (it's made by Lowry) or is it just normal?
Thanks!
Talk to the people at the pro shop about tape and taping hockey sticks. They will guide you along.

Old
10-04-2013, 07:03 PM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
Talk to the people at the pro shop about tape and taping hockey sticks. They will guide you along.
I know how to tape a stick, I rather ment that I might do something wrong when I'm playing, if it's no bad tape.

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 12:17 AM
wingnutks

Quote:
I know how to tape a stick, I rather ment that I might do something wrong when I'm playing, if it's no bad tape.
Something is going on. My tape jobs usually last at least 4 games.

wingnutks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 08:45 AM
Canadiens1958

Pro Shops

Quote:
Involved with hockey for close to sixty years. Pro shop or Hockey Specialty Store people, the ones who stay in tune with equipment and accessory advances, are a great asset for any player at any level. Pro and elite players regularly seek their advice. Not a bad approach.

Specifically they can tell you if it is bad tape, tape used inappropriately, and other nuances about equipment or accessories that will make the game more enjoyable to play.

Old
10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
vapor11

After you tape your stick grab a puck or something hard and press the tape firmly onto your blade and along the bottom

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 06:58 PM
redbranch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens1958 View Post
A few years ago, 2004-05 season, a Vietnamese father(played soccer) enrolled his 4 year old son in a Learn to Skate program. Took copious notes and videos then applied everything during free skate time at the arena to learn skating, eventually hockey.

Today the son is a double letter bantam, Father plays a reasonable level of pick-up hockey 35+.

A few comments.

Jazz Hands and other arm movement exercises on skates are all about proper arm and hand movement that are necessary for proper skating balance, reactions should you fall, speed, turning, etc. Don't ignore such aspects of learning to skate.

The basics of teaching youngster to skate, eventually playing hockey, apply to all ages. No different from teaching or learning a new language, a new skill - woodworking, etc. You have to get the basics down since they are the foundation and they impact safety.
I get the point of what you mean here, but I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the holding the outstretched arms, while doing crossovers. that's not an aspect of skating, it's an aspect of figure skating. I had another teacher who was a figure skater as well, but she understood she wasn't teaching figure skating, she was teaching ice skating. She also had a much stronger grasp of the mechanics behind what she was teaching, which helped me tremendously

Old
10-07-2013, 09:36 AM
bahn

so, session 2 of what I'm now referring to as "my weekly embarrassment session".... I can definitely tell I'm improving, I can almost stop on both sides, and T-stops I pretty much have down. I definitely fell enough this past session, to where I'm not worried about falling much. Although my hips and butt have submitted a requisition form for hockey pants. To be fair, while I can tell its pretty much a kids class, the instructors have been pretty good so far about correcting my techniques and such. I think I've made more progress in 2 of these sessions then months of open skates. Plus I get to bring the joy of an adult flying into the boards way too fast to all the children. Its like a painful santa thing.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
redbranch

glad to hear it! having an instructor who will actively correct and reinforce will help you a ton. I'd wear as much protective gear as you can get away with, we fall much, much harder than kids

One mistake I made while first starting out is to not aggressively attack your "weak side". If you're much better doing technique X on one side, practice the other side twice as much. I got much more comfortable once I did that. But I see guys who've been playing for years who will still only stop, or pivot on one side

Old
10-07-2013, 01:05 PM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
One mistake I made while first starting out is to not aggressively attack your "weak side". If you're much better doing technique X on one side, practice the other side twice as much.
Really? What if you're not that good one side but OK? Isn't it best to concentrate on your good side so you learn the finer points/the mechanism of what's needed and can then apply that to the weak side?

I've been skating a year and apart from crossovers I don't do much on my weak side at the moment. I'll do a bit now and then on say stops or tight turns, but feel I'm better getting up to near full speed on my good side to make playing the game more feasible.

Sadly there are only so many hours a week to skate too and it feels there are so many skills to learn.

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:07 PM
redbranch

guys who can only skate with one foot are fairly noticeable, even at the low beer league level. When I'm playing you, guess which way I'm going to try and make you move?

I'm a beginner too, there's guys here who know waaaay more than I do on this board. They may have different advice. But I did notice my game improved a lot when I didn't have to worry about which side I was using. My weak side isn't as good as my strong side, but I don't panic when having to pivot or turn on it

Old
10-07-2013, 03:26 PM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
guys who can only skate with one foot are fairly noticeable, even at the low beer league level. When I'm playing you, guess which way I'm going to try and make you move?

I'm a beginner too, there's guys here who know waaaay more than I do on this board. They may have different advice. But I did notice my game improved a lot when I didn't have to worry about which side I was using. My weak side isn't as good as my strong side, but I don't panic when having to pivot or turn on it
You're right, of course

I decided recently tho that this is a journey I'm on and I'm looking at a three year plan (so two more years) to get all the basic skating moves covered on both sides

AntsSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:35 PM
redbranch

public skates are your bestest friend, and a great compliment to instruction. Lessons are great, but every time I go to public skate, I'll pick 2 or 3 things, and work on each for at least 10-15 minutes. You usually don't have time in a lesson or clinic to do that much repetition.

Nobody's ever going to mistake me for Karlsson on the ice, but as long as I can see improvement over time, I'm happy

Old
10-08-2013, 12:00 AM
windycity

Quote:
public skates are your bestest friend, and a great compliment to instruction. Lessons are great, but every time I go to public skate, I'll pick 2 or 3 things, and work on each for at least 10-15 minutes. You usually don't have time in a lesson or clinic to do that much repetition.

Nobody's ever going to mistake me for Karlsson on the ice, but as long as I can see improvement over time, I'm happy
personally I hate public skates, at least around here. There's 50 billion people on the ice at least half who are kids who are going in very possible direction. But we have some rats around here where turnout is terrible and I use those as stick and pucks to work on specific issues. Sometimes I'm the only guy on the ice which is awesome. Unless I want to work on passing drills . . .

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 06:38 AM
bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
personally I hate public skates, at least around here. There's 50 billion people on the ice at least half who are kids who are going in very possible direction.
I'm rather with you on that one, while I'm not the strongest skater, I live in FL, where there are bound to be 1 person for every 2 just shuffling and walking on the ice. The roadblocks are all fine and easy to avoid, but yeah when the kids get out in a horde, fearless little guys that can and do go in every possible direction, I think I have more bruises just taking a fall from avoiding the kids then I do trying to push my skating.

Old
10-08-2013, 08:02 AM
redbranch

Sounds like I'm lucky. The public skates around here are rarely crowded, except december-january. Occasionally there's a birthday party but otherwise it's fine. There's things I won't work on at a public skate, because it's just not safe with little kids and such around, but I can always work on my edges and stops

Old
10-08-2013, 01:41 PM
nycpunk1

I keep forgetting how spoiled I am. My office is 2 blocks from a nice big rink that has public skates at noon. Last week they had to turn the lights on for me. I skated alone on an empty sheet.

No, I'm not telling you where it is.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote