HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos thread meet Devon Bailey Eskimo Latest draft pick

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-07-2013, 10:23 AM
  #201
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,760
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
I know a lot of people here dislike Jones,and that obviously includes you, but he deserves credit when he's right.
the edmonton media can be spineless, so I do give credit to jones for calling out the esks management and coaching throughout the year.
I agree. Jones is right on the mark with that article.

Good to see.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:01 AM
  #202
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
And Rhodes. Anybody who thinks sideshows will put fans in the seats before a good product on the field has no business being associated with a professional sports team.
Aw come on, you didn't want to purchase another 10 years of seasons tickets after watching the command performance of Vanilla Ice?

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  #203
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
The kiss of death article by Terry Jones, I think his last was just before Tambo was fired. Now write one about Hervey
Yeah, I have no doubt in my mind that it's no coincidence that these kiss o' death articles come out like this. IMO veterans like Jones must either A) get some sort of behind the scenes heads-up from someone within the org, or B) has learned to read the tea leaves from the org when someone like a coach or GM is on a death watch.

Simply put, I don't think they write articles as bold as that without knowing for a stone cold fact that they can get away with it with minimal repercussions.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:18 PM
  #204
Digger12
Registered User
 
Digger12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Defending the border
Posts: 14,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
The Edmonton sports media has always given the Eskimos a hard time. They're spineless when it comes to the Oilers.
I think at least part of that is because annoying the Oilers org carries more of a penalty for a reporter/journalist than the Esks.

I have to think that covering an NHL team is much more of a plum assignment, with numerous juicy perks, than doing the same for a CFL squad. As low as the NHL is in terms of being high profile in the North American market, it still beats the low profile CFL.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:33 PM
  #205
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Jones because of his distance from the sports teams can actually write articles that are critical of them. He's also been around long enough that he is tough to squash. Since he's about the only media person in this town that actually gives it to the teams like they deserve I like him.

He does parachute in to make these slams but no one else will.
I completely agree, his senior status in the Edmonton media gives him the ability to ask the tougher questions with out having to fear repercussions. Most of the reporters in this city appear to be terrified of offending the billionaire and possibly being black listed from the Oilers.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:00 PM
  #206
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Aw come on, you didn't want to purchase another 10 years of seasons tickets after watching the command performance of Vanilla Ice?
Hey, I like Vanilla Ice just as much as the next guy but I'm not going to decide I want to go to a game just to see him. I want to watch my football team. If my team plays hard and wins the game then I'm having a good time. If they are awful and they lose then I'm not having a good time. If I don't have a good time then I need to think twice before I decide on whether or not I want to go to the next game. If I have a good time it's a much easier decision.

I know that's a pretty simple way of putting things but I don't think Eskimos brass can understand anything more complicated. Taking $100,000 out of the football budget to stick into promotions is inexcusable and completely unforgivable in my book and is a slap in the face to all fans. It tells me all I need to know about the direction of this franchise under Rhodes.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 03:27 PM
  #207
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,297
vCash: 500
I'll never forget a moment in this org that was indelible confusion. They hired some lame act, other than the Vanilla Ice moment, and advertised pregame that admission ticket would get you in to see the band in concert at halftime and post show cabaret. This was followed by an announcement at the game that the cost of the postshow was 25bucks, no mention of complimentary admission with Esks ticket. For clarity this was voiced 3 times during the football game just so there was no mistake. It was announced that people could buy tickets to the postshow at kiosks. Not surprisingly nobody bought tickets.

This was followed by droves of people leaving game(a loss, what else) and immediately storming to the park n ride. This was followed by anybody even remotely affiliated with the Esks org pounding the pavement trying to beg people to go to the cabaret. (I wish I was making this up) which was now free to anybody, not 25bucks, not ticket required. If you happened to be walking along with a brown bag in hand you could now go to the cabaret.
I finally heard things like a free drink if you went to the cabaret. WE went to see just for a lark, because this hilarity was too good to pass up, and maybe 200 people showed up for the thing. I think everybody there was related to the cheerleaders attending. They were expecting thousands. We got our free drink and left. Whatever band it was hadn't even started playing.

I remember posting about this in that years thread because it was so amazingly amusing and befitting the confusion of the whole org. When you see something run that way you realize that the eskimos org dropped 100's of miles south of even Northlands. You don't wonder at that point how come the football club on the field is so bad. You wonder who opens the doors at commonwealth and turns on the lights.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 04:00 PM
  #208
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'll never forget a moment in this org that was indelible confusion. They hired some lame act, other than the Vanilla Ice moment, and advertised pregame that admission ticket would get you in to see the band in concert at halftime and post show cabaret. This was followed by an announcement at the game that the cost of the postshow was 25bucks, no mention of complimentary admission with Esks ticket. For clarity this was voiced 3 times during the football game just so there was no mistake. It was announced that people could buy tickets to the postshow at kiosks. Not surprisingly nobody bought tickets.

This was followed by droves of people leaving game(a loss, what else) and immediately storming to the park n ride. This was followed by anybody even remotely affiliated with the Esks org pounding the pavement trying to beg people to go to the cabaret. (I wish I was making this up) which was now free to anybody, not 25bucks, not ticket required. If you happened to be walking along with a brown bag in hand you could now go to the cabaret.
I finally heard things like a free drink if you went to the cabaret. WE went to see just for a lark, because this hilarity was too good to pass up, and maybe 200 people showed up for the thing. I think everybody there was related to the cheerleaders attending. They were expecting thousands. We got our free drink and left. Whatever band it was hadn't even started playing.

I remember posting about this in that years thread because it was so amazingly amusing and befitting the confusion of the whole org. When you see something run that way you realize that the eskimos org dropped 100's of miles south of even Northlands. You don't wonder at that point how come the football club on the field is so bad. You wonder who opens the doors at commonwealth and turns on the lights.
I know this is off topic but you pointing out the idiocy of the people at Commonwealth Stadium reminded me of the three soccer games I tried attending there over the past 10 years where even though I showed up an hour before kick off, I was not able to purchase my tickets and get into the building until half time. Not just me but most of the people in attendance. I don't even bother trying to go to games involving the national team anymore.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
  #209
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Eskimos head coach Kavis Reed won't be back after the season, and I doubt many of the position coaches will be either. Rumours came out of Winnipeg last week that Stampeders D coordinator, Rick Campbell, is a leading candidate to replace Reed. That won't happen. Campbell is a good coach, much better than some think, but Ed Hervey will hire someone with no previous connection to the Eskimos. He doesn't seem like a revisionist history type of guy.

http://oilersnation.com/2013/10/8/tu...comment-435873

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:12 PM
  #210
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 4m
"I had to do tests everyday with our staff, and then last Friday I had to do a test with a 3rd party at U of A." Reilly on concussion tests.

Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 1m
"I had dizziness after the Toronto game, but the next morning it was gone thankfully." Reilly

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:16 PM
  #211
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 2m
"If anything it was me playing how I should play to protect myself. If there had been an open lane outside I would have ran." Reilly #Esks
Horse ****.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:36 PM
  #212
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Chris O'Leary ‏@olearychris 30s
TJ Hill, JC Sherritt and Mike Reilly all rallied to defend Kavis Reed today after weekend calls for him to be fired. #Eskimos #CFL #Esks
I guess they don't like winning football games. All Reed does is lose.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:47 PM
  #213
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I guess they don't like winning football games. All Reed does is lose.
Doubtful. What more than likely happened is they did the same thing that every player does when their coach is rumored to be fired. As leaders of the team it's expected that you won't come out and call your coach a ****ing idiot or blame him once he's gone.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:51 PM
  #214
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Doubtful. What more than likely happened is they did the same thing that every player does when their coach is rumored to be fired. As leaders of the team it's expected that you won't come out and call your coach a ****ing idiot or blame him once he's gone.
Perhaps. That said, TJ Hill always gets noticeably annoyed whenver Kavis is questioned.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:52 PM
  #215
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1 11m
#CFL trade deadline is Wednesday. I'm sure TSN and Sportsnet will have round-the-clock coverage, beginning at 6 a.m.
Retweeted by Andrew Bucholtz

Lol, what's the point at this point in time?

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:55 PM
  #216
joestevens29
Registered User
 
joestevens29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 25,123
vCash: 50
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 4m
#Eskimos players come to the defense of their HC Kavis Reed despite calls for his dismissal http://www.630ched.com/eskimos/ #CFL #yeg
Expand
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 29s
@Dave_CHED Playing defense for him would have been more effective!


lol

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 04:57 PM
  #217
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Zing!

It's hilarious how much Tencer ribs the Eskimos while defending every move the Oilers make.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
  #218
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Zing!

It's hilarious how much Tencer ribs the Eskimos while defending every move the Oilers make.
See my post above about offending the billionaire.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:05 PM
  #219
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
Hey, I like Vanilla Ice just as much as the next guy but I'm not going to decide I want to go to a game just to see him. I want to watch my football team. If my team plays hard and wins the game then I'm having a good time. If they are awful and they lose then I'm not having a good time. If I don't have a good time then I need to think twice before I decide on whether or not I want to go to the next game. If I have a good time it's a much easier decision.

I know that's a pretty simple way of putting things but I don't think Eskimos brass can understand anything more complicated. Taking $100,000 out of the football budget to stick into promotions is inexcusable and completely unforgivable in my book and is a slap in the face to all fans. It tells me all I need to know about the direction of this franchise under Rhodes.
Totally agree with you. (except on the love for Vanilla Ice)
You don't go to a steak place to enjoy their bread sticks.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
  #220
rboomercat90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,183
vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Totally agree with you. (except on the love for Vanilla Ice)
You don't go to a steak place to enjoy their bread sticks.
I said I liked Vanilla Ice just as much as the next guy. I didn't say how much the next guy likes him.

rboomercat90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:06 PM
  #221
Stoneman89
Registered User
 
Stoneman89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 6,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I said I liked Vanilla Ice just as much as the next guy. I didn't say how much the next guy likes him.
Ah, I see. Being unbelievably coy. Nice one.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
  #222
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Herb Zurkowsky ‏@HerbZurkowsky1 11m
#CFL trade deadline is Wednesday. I'm sure TSN and Sportsnet will have round-the-clock coverage, beginning at 6 a.m.
Retweeted by Andrew Bucholtz

Lol, what's the point at this point in time?
Could it be any worse than the NHL trade deadline frenzy?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:51 PM
  #223
Beerfish
Registered User
 
Beerfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dave Campbell ‏@Dave_CHED 4m
#Eskimos players come to the defense of their HC Kavis Reed despite calls for his dismissal http://www.630ched.com/eskimos/ #CFL #yeg
Expand
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer 29s
@Dave_CHED Playing defense for him would have been more effective!


lol
Tencer is such a non credible scrub. Can you imagine if this was a post knocking an oilers coach or players?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:35 PM
  #224
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rboomercat90 View Post
I said I liked Vanilla Ice just as much as the next guy. I didn't say how much the next guy likes him.
Yep, I was going to respond to that as well but noted the clever wording.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:15 PM
  #225
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра
 
Comrade Blunderbore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: КПЗ
Country: New Zealand-Maori
Posts: 1,710
vCash: 50
i sure don't know jack either about football or the media situation around it, and i might have gotten it totally wrong, but i thought why the hell not...


Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.