HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone else see us taking a dip next year

Old
11-30-2006, 11:28 AM
Mad Habber

vCash: 500
Anyone else see us taking a dip next year

I know I'm looking ahead here but this is what I see.

Confirmed for next year
Higgins Koivu Ryder
Sammy Pleks Kovalev
Perez Lats
Begin Murray

Komi
Bouillon Dandeneault
Streit

Huet

Departures
Bonk Johnson Downey
Markov Rivet Souray Niinimaa
Abi

Replacement from the farm.
Kots Lapierre Chipchura
Cote O'Byrne Emelin(maybe)
Halak

Of course, BG will try to resign everyone he wants to keep. Niinimaa and Abi being the only sure departures in my books. But there is no guarranttee any of the others will come back. Rivet is probably the closest thing to a sure thing there, but still not 100% certain. Quintal left, anyone else can too irregardless of the reasons.

I think it is very possible we have a good year this year where we think we can challenge anyone in a 7 game series. Then the following year we have a dip where we have to scratch for every inch just to make the playoffs. Then the year after, we get back to this year's level of play after the new wave of youngans (or yoots if you prefer) get some experience under their belt.

Of course with UFA being so much lower and with the cap, I think that can be said of pretty most teams. A few good year followed by one or two horrible ones then a few more good years. The turnaround time for rebuilds will be much quicker, but the time it takes for a team to fall will be equally quick. Philly anyone.

Anyways just throwing this out there for discussion.

Mad Habber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:29 AM
!nkubus

It's always like this after you won the Stanley Cup

!nkubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:31 AM
Mad Habber

Yeah I was thinking of that too.

Old
11-30-2006, 11:33 AM
catmanhabsfan

I think you have a good point about the league in general. I disagree somewhat about the habs in particular though. I just feel we'll keep more players than we think at the moment. maybe im just optimistic, but i have a feeling more guys will stay then we think. of course if youre right, and we lose everyone you think we would, then we will definately dip next season. guys like bonk and johnson have been huge this year, we need them badly. id pay bonk another 2.5 a season to keep the guy. good points though, youre right on, dips will be way more frequent nowadays, but luckily the lows wont last as long as they used to. more like football (nfl)now maybe?

catmanhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:37 AM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Wathing San Jose yesterday evening (against Minn.), one had to ask himself if it would really be that bad with a bunch of kids to replace the ones leaving

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:43 AM
Guy Caballero

We'll lose only a couple of the guys you listed as departures. Probably Bonk and probably (but hopefully not) Souray. I'd be very surprised if the Habs didn't resign Johnson. He seems like a Gainey/Carbo-type utility player.

Guy Caballero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:48 AM
NewHabsEra*

Im prety sure Gainey will resign Markov for about 3 years 4 - 4.5 millions/year...

I could see him offering Bonk a contract as well..

As much as I like Johnson, I would be surprised to see him back since we are solid on the wings and some kids should be ready to make the jump.. I doubt we have the money to resign him.

Both Souray and Rivet could be gone.. Gainey could try to sign a respectable puckvoming defenseman from FA in the 2 - 2.5 millions range...

Lapierre, Ferland, Kostitsyn will be ready IMO... Grabovski, Chipchura could as well... I didnt see Milroy this year but I like what I hear at the moment...

One thing sure, Gainey will make this team highly competitive once again, no need to worry about...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:48 AM
Mad Habber

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanhabsfan View Post
I think you have a good point about the league in general. I disagree somewhat about the habs in particular though. I just feel we'll keep more players than we think at the moment. maybe im just optimistic, but i have a feeling more guys will stay then we think. of course if youre right, and we lose everyone you think we would, then we will definately dip next season. guys like bonk and johnson have been huge this year, we need them badly. id pay bonk another 2.5 a season to keep the guy. good points though, youre right on, dips will be way more frequent nowadays, but luckily the lows wont last as long as they used to. more like football (nfl)now maybe?
My point wasn't that we wouldn't retain any of our UFA, it was just that there were no guaranttees any would resign. Maybe some other team offers Markov $7 and another Souray $7. Rivet is offered $2-3 in Mtl and $4 in Pho (Gretzky has always liked Rivet). There are 29 other teams in the league each with their own wish list. Money talks and it's easier to play for a losing team in Phoenix than it is in Montreal. Heck it might be easier to play for a losing team in Phoenix than a winning team in Montreal.

Anyways it's just food for thought and I'm sure GMs keep things like this in the back of their mind for their long term plans. They have to in the new NHL now.

Old
11-30-2006, 12:10 PM
Brett38

We need cash to sign our RFA's. No way we can resign Bonk. I see him along with Janne and Abby leaving. Maybe even someone else via a trade to free up cash to sign Souray and Markov. Higgins, Ryder, Perez and Komi all will get a raise when they resign. Maybe Rivet will be gone as well. Will it be Cote's turn to make the jump up?

Brett38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Artie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Habber View Post

Departures
Bonk Johnson Downey
Markov Rivet Souray Niinimaa
Abi

Replacement from the farm.
Kots Lapierre Chipchura
Cote O'Byrne Emelin(maybe)
Halak
Downey, Ninimaa and Abiescher can easily be replaced with either AHL players or trades/UFA signings.

Bonk seems to be finding his place and would be a welcomed back at the right price. If Carbo moves Bonk up to the 2nd line and it works it raises his value. If he is to stick around as a 3rd line checking center, well I think we can easily replace if he asks too much money.

Johnson, as someone mentioned, is a Carbo/Gainey type player and I can see the Habs making a real pitch to keep him. The intangibles he brings will be very valuable in a young dressing room.

Markov/Rivet/Souray, I've said for a while, I'm not convinced that Markov will be back. I don't know what it is but he seems to be the most likely to want to leave.
Rivet IMO is the most likely to return and Souray will be a hot potato. Offensively (because of his PP prowess) he will command more money than he's worth given that he is defensively-challenged. Some team that needs the PP offensive may be more than willing to offer him $$$$. The question will be if Streit can make up for Souray on the PP.

Coming up from the farm, I'm not sure Chips will be ready next year. Lapierre will be, so he gives us some flexibility on the 4th line. With Pleks moving to the 3rd if Bonk is gone.

Defensively O'Bryne and Cote will be decent depth (read 7-8) but that leaves us with no 1-2. Which means the money saved from not signing Souray and Markov will have to be spent on a UFA.

Buffalo and Carolina faced similar situation this year and semed to have adjusted okay

Artie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:32 PM
guapo23

Isn't Johnson signed for the next few years ????

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:39 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
NO.. UFA

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 01:56 PM
ppil

That's why there is a salary cap, to give a chance to every team to make the playoff and it also means that it gives a chance to every team to not make the playoff, look at St-Louis before and after the cap, look at Ottawa, Colorado, etc. These teams will comeback as playoff teams so some playoff teams will not make the playoff for a year or 2 and it will happens to us too. But the better your gm is, more often you will make the playoff.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:05 PM
Dutchy

Send a message via ICQ to Dutchy
Johnson will be resigned here for sure.

Dutchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 02:07 PM
Kostitsyn404*

I didn't know Quintal left... thought he retired... I wish they still had Quintal...

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Mad Habber

A few years ago, Quintal left as a UFA to the Rangers. He never wanted to leave, but was pressured by his agent, the NHLPA and Bob Goodenow because the Rangers were offering more $$ than the Habs were and the NHLPA wanted the average salaries to escalate. Anyways he was miserable in NY and his play suffered greatly, so they traded him to Chicago. He played no better. Montreal than traded for him in the offseason and he finished off his career here before retiring in 04.

Old
11-30-2006, 04:19 PM
tinyzombies

I think Markov and Rivet will leave and we'll sign Souray and a UFA on defense.

Rivet is replaceable and for much cheaper, so no way he is back imo (or should be that is).

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder
Samsonov-Kovalev-Kostitsyn
Latendresse-Plekanec-Perezhogin
Begin-Lapierre-Murray

Souray-UFA
Emelin-Komisarek
Bouillon-Dandenault

Huet
Danis

I don't like it, but that's what it looks like to me.

tinyzombies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 05:34 PM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Caballero View Post
We'll lose only a couple of the guys you listed as departures. Probably Bonk and probably (but hopefully not) Souray. I'd be very surprised if the Habs didn't resign Johnson. He seems like a Gainey/Carbo-type utility player.

Sure, like every utility player is, right? Don't get me wrong, I like Johnson and knew right off the bat that he would contribute more than Samsonov this year. Still, utility players don't and shouldn't make 2M$ +.
If you want to sign Johnson it's because he's shown he can be top 6 (wich I think he can) but you need to let someone else in the top 6 go.

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote