HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Holmgren Deserves to get Fired

Old
10-06-2013, 09:25 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
Uh, no he didn't, did you not watch him? A ton of his criticism was based on him being bad on breakaways, which are almost by definition always a great scoring chance. Most of the goals he gave up were on tips, odd man rushes, and shots in or around the slot.
Holy ****, I think I have actually heard it all at this point.

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:27 PM
BroadStreetPhila

Quote:
Too early to say if their performance will be comparable, but I agree about the salary. Obviously I'd take the lower price tag if the end result is the same. Bryz didn't give up many weak goals either, he just didn't make enough big saves.
Tell me you're being sarcastic. I really hope you're being sarcastic.

BroadStreetPhila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:32 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
i think you are overreacting.

lavi needs to go, it was a mistake to keep him this year. our forwards play so little defense.

our cup run was expensive (organization depth wise), and we have been paying for it. the last 2 years have been decent with the moves homer has made. say what you want about dealing bob, but we got a good haul for him.
If you are happy with mediocrity ..go for it.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:34 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagg-en Dazs View Post
Literally, please just stop. Posts like this are so ridiculous

Which part? There is a thread in the business of hockey forum with a quote from a NHL exec that they want to add 1.5 goals per game to the sport.

As far as projecting out JvR, he's following a very traditional power forward type path. Almost identical numbers to Leclair through the same number of games.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:42 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Which part? There is a thread in the business of hockey forum with a quote from a NHL exec that they want to add 1.5 goals per game to the sport.

As far as projecting out JvR, he's following a very traditional power forward type path. Almost identical numbers to Leclair through the same number of games.
So Schenn will be a 50 goal winger too?

As he put up the exactly the same PPG last year aged 21-22 (in his first season at wing, 2nd in NHL) as JVR did in 11-12 aged 22-23. (in his 3rd full NHL season)

They also had almost identical TOI in those years. Though JVR had more PP time than Schenn in the equivalent years.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:46 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
So Schenn will be a 50 goal winger too?

As he put up the exactly the same PPG last year aged 21-22 (in his first season at wing, 2nd in NHL) as JVR did in 11-12 aged 22-23. (in his 3rd full NHL season)

They also had almost identical TOI in those years. Though JVR had more PP time than Schenn in the equivalent years.
It doesn't count because it doesn't fit the negative narrative.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It doesn't count because it doesn't fit the negative narrative.
I also forgot to add that Schenn, even though smaller, plays more like a power forward than JVR has! Well... apart from those 2 games vs Buffalo that time. The boy JVR hates taking the body... and I think he is a great player.

The other thing they do have in common though, as with many good young players, is that they both disappeared for parts of games and are inconsistent, it is to be expected as players grow.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:07 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
JVR will be a perennial 35-40 goal scorer, and if the NHL achieves their goal of get the GPG average up to 6.5-7, he could be a 50 goal scorer.
Is this reality?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appleyard View Post
I also forgot to add that Schenn, even though smaller, plays more like a power forward than JVR has! Well... apart from those 2 games vs Buffalo that time. The boy JVR hates taking the body... and I think he is a great player.

The other thing they do have in common though, as with many good young players, is that they both disappeared for parts of games and are inconsistent, it is to be expected as players grow.
Personally I'm not worried about Brayden. I think he'll be fine when all things are said & done. He's still transitioning from center to winger.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:57 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
If you are happy with mediocrity ..go for it.
i dont think anyone (homer included) is happy with mediocrity.

the fallacy is that people believe there is a "right way" to win it. there isnt. the only seemingly sure fire way to win is to blow so bad years you get multiple top 3 picks and draft hofers....just that easy. not working for the oil yet so far though.

i do wish we had been more patient with bob, even in the POs his rookie yr, but let's not act like he would win the vezina behind this squad.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:04 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
To bring this back to our current goalies, if the script from the first 2 games replays itself, people will eventually stop saying that they're doing fine. That was my original point.
of course they will. because hollow goalie stats say so.

always the goalies fault.

Old
10-07-2013, 12:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Holmgren's "Gut decision" to fire Lavi

Obviously..because if he had used his brain he would have fired this guy in the offseason when it made absolute sense...

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...sion-fire-lavy

My brain is suggesting Holmgren should step down or get fired

Old
10-07-2013, 12:50 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Obviously..because if he had used his brain he would have fired this guy in the offseason when it made absolute sense...

Holmgren will never get fired. Just like Bobby Clarke.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:54 PM
Curufinwe

I have to agree. Not firing Laviolette in the summer was a firable offense.

Homer was way too loyal.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 12:55 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

so you can't see any logic in letting him have a training camp and preseason to see if things improved?

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not like its a half cocked move.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Garbage Goal

Homer should make this his theme song:

Seriously, it's gonna take the damn apocalypse to get Homer fired.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:06 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
so you can't see any logic in letting him have a training camp and preseason to see if things improved?

I don't necessarily agree with it, but it's not like its a half cocked move.
No logic whatsoever....none and the people that said it would be a mistake have been proven correct. Again lack of foresight......not a good GM trait.

Old
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
No logic whatsoever....none and the people that said it would be a mistake have been proven correct. Again lack of foresight......not a good GM trait.
I think the logic could be that the roster last year was full of holes, especially if you count the injuries we had on defense, and even though we didn't make the playoffs, we didn't really underachieve.

That's what I believe, and it makes me wonder if 3 games isn't enough time to evaluate whether he should have been fired. Then again, Holmgren has been watching the team throughout training camp and if they've looked out of sorts all that time, and most of the time during the regular season, it's probably justifiable. This roster is better than last years', so we shouldn't be having all the same problems we did a year ago.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
I think the logic could be that the roster last year was full of holes, especially if you count the injuries we had on defense, and even though we didn't make the playoffs, we didn't really underachieve.

That's what I believe, and it makes me wonder if 3 games isn't enough time to evaluate whether he should have been fired. Then again, Holmgren has been watching the team throughout training camp and if they've looked out of sorts all that time, and most of the time during the regular season, it's probably justifiable. This roster is better than last years', so we shouldn't be having all the same problems we did a year ago.
Ottawa could have said the same thing and they played a pretty disciplined game despite all their injuries.

The Flyers all last year besides that anomaly in the last 6 games or whatever played terribly undisciplined and uninspired hockey. They couldn't do the basics . The coach couldn't prepare them properly. He was glaringly part of the problem especially since they couldn't beat tight checking, fast forechecking and disciplined teams all year...albeit shortened year.

Old
10-08-2013, 12:46 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

One thing about Holmgren is that after the fact he tends to be fairly plainspoken....

This question was valid as he himself admitted....not an admission on his part nor did he answer the question directly but he realizes he bears responsibility..hence why I think he gave Lavi some extra rope.

Now it's on the players....but it could come full circle back to Holmgren....

Quote:
"Paul, did this roster have the components to allow Peter to coach the style of hockey that he wanted to play?"

PH: "Well, it's a fair question. First of all, I believe in our players. I said earlier that I'm not going to let them off the hook. At the end of the day, they didn't do their job, either. But I still believe in our players. We have good players. We just weren't playing very well. We need to play better."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Tim-P...0#.UlOaXyinR8s

Old
10-08-2013, 12:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I suspect/speculate that Homer got players not fit for Lavi's preferred system because Homer had faith in Lavi to coach for the players he has; it ended up being an overestimation.

10-08-2013, 01:02 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I suspect/speculate that Homer got players not fit for Lavi's preferred system because Homer had faith in Lavi to coach for the players he has; it ended up being an overestimation.
Once him and Snider came out in the press saying Lavi needed to tighten things up to protect the goaltender better and then assembled a D corps that was more stay at home and didn't replace Carle properly..it really hampered what Lavi wanted to do. Then the injuries came and Paddock was hired and they simplified things for a bit with the extra wrinkle of D ( the end of season anomaly). Then Holmgren went out and got some pieces like Streit and I guess Lavi was like ok .....going to go back to my attack system....didn't pan out because other teams had it figured all out but the players didn't seem like they were motivated to execute it either.

Let's see what Berube can do along with Paddock and Lappy. Flyers seem to think they can replicate what occurred towards the end with the streak since Paddock and Berube were the implementors....if it doesn't pan out and they miss the playoffs I suspect Holmgren will step down..I don't think he will be fired outright even if he should be. Lots riding on the players and coach to salvage Holmgren's job....

Old
10-08-2013, 01:10 AM
panayiotis

goner

homer will be fired. hexie did not take this job to be another ass. gm. the team is a joke. but old ed has morphed into al davis. Berube.....the jokes go on on on

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 08:25 AM
Codith

If the team continues to struggle, Hextall takes the reins, simple as that. IT won't be much longer guys, Hexy came her for a reason, he knows he takes control within the next two years. I think even if the team remains successful, Hexy still takes over. I don't think Homer wants to do this much longer, one of those gut instincts.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:07 AM
buff

Jeff Carter deal was a mistake too... You can't trade a 40 goals scorer like that...

buff is offline   Reply With Quote