HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Carolina Hurricanes - Recalled right wing Pavel Brendl from

Closed Thread

Old
01-13-2004, 07:27 AM
Lambert Closse

vCash: 500

Lowell of the American Hockey League

What ever happened to that guy? Wasn't he supposed to be the next Sergei Markarov, Dmitri Kvartalnov or Sergei Samsonov?

Was he seriously injured at some point or was just a big bust?

Old
01-13-2004, 07:30 AM
Shappa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambert Closse
Lowell of the American Hockey League

What ever happened to that guy? Wasn't he supposed to be the next Sergei Markarov, Dmitri Kvartalnov or Sergei Samsonov?

From watching him a bunch of times in the WHL, my opinion on him was that he A) Possesed a huge amount of natural talent, and a minimal amount of heart and work ethic, and B) Had his WHL stats boosted by a solid two way, playmaking forward named Brad Moran.

Don't expect him to last very long with the big club, he'll get pushed around and dissapear to the minors again.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Plan 9

Quote:

What the hell? The kid is only 22 years old.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shappa
Don't expect him to last very long with the big club, he'll get pushed around and dissapear to the minors again.
I really don't think he should have been called up in the first place. He's having an All-Star season in the AHL and needs the experience and confidence.

Really hope he shuts some people up this time around.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:34 PM
Reign Nateo

He was a heartless cherry-picker in junior. In fact i rremember a coach for another WHL team calling him "tinman" at one point.

Having said that, I'm a fan and i would like to see him score 30 goals in the NHL one day.

Old
01-15-2004, 01:44 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Extremely premature to call him a bust. He's from the '99 draft class (if you're a Habs fan then same year as Burturlin) and is still very young. There's only a couple players from that first round who I'd consider impact players in the NHL right now (Havlat, Jackman). The rest are still developing and maturing. Give it another couple years.

NOTE: Boynton doesn't count quite the same as he was a re-entry and thus two years older than the rest in 99.

Old
01-15-2004, 02:27 PM
Plan 9

Brendl scored his first goal just a couple minutes into the first period.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Hopefullly this will at least serve to quiet a few of the naysayers. This kid has NHL talent and I think will still one day be productive. It was pretty laughable to see people comparing Vanek to Brendl in a negative light like Brendl was Alexander Daigle or something. He had only 64 games of AHL experience before the start of the season and was expected to produce on talent alone without being given the proper time to develop. He was in hockey hotbeds like NYR and Philly before and they expected immediate gratification and immediately labeled him a bust without being given much of a real shot. Not to mention he was a major player in the Eric Lindros trade and Philly faithful expected him to step in and produce on an immediate basis. Under the radar in Carolina, he's going to have his best chance so far to do something worthwhile and it looks as if he's ready to take advantage of it. We'll see how he does for the rest of the game. Maybe he's not even done.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koltsov71
Yeah, just saw that. That's good to hear.

Old
01-15-2004, 03:29 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever
He was in hockey hotbeds like NYR and Philly before and they expected immediate gratification and immediately labeled him a bust without being given much of a real shot. Not to mention he was a major player in the Eric Lindros trade and Philly faithful expected him to step in and produce on an immediate basis.
Brendl was given more than a fair chance in Philly. I can't recall "the Philly faithful (expecting) him to step in and produce on an immediate basis." When he made the team right out of a very solid camp, yes, we had expectations, but what fan base doesn't of a rookie who makes the team out of camp? He was in over his head. Last year he had to earn his right to play under Hitchcock. He didn't woo anyone, and as far as I recall, we Flyer fans here had loose expectations of him during that season. I'm not sorry to see him go by any means, but he had his shot with the Flyers, and they didn't like what they saw and shipped him out when a good deal came along.

Old
01-15-2004, 04:01 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
Brendl was given more than a fair chance in Philly. I can't recall "the Philly faithful (expecting) him to step in and produce on an immediate basis." When he made the team right out of a very solid camp, yes, we had expectations, but what fan base doesn't of a rookie who makes the team out of camp? He was in over his head. Last year he had to earn his right to play under Hitchcock. He didn't woo anyone, and as far as I recall, we Flyer fans here had loose expectations of him during that season. I'm not sorry to see him go by any means, but he had his shot with the Flyers, and they didn't like what they saw and shipped him out when a good deal came along.
Well what I was saying is that since he was a major chip in the deal that brought Lindros to NY, he was automatically expected to be a top level player and quickly. I know that if O'Neill were traded for a prospect, and O'Neill isn't half as good as Lindros was, i'd expect the prospect coming back to produce almost immediately. Brendl has been in a virtual pressure cooker his entire career and whether or not you personally put expectations on him, a great deal of fans of both the Flyers and Rangers did. It's inevitable when you're drafted as high and traded for a superstar like Brendl has been. I think an environment where he's treated like everyone else is the best thing for him right now and he has produced a point per game on the AHL level. Even if he falls on his face, he's eligible to go back and play in the AHL all-star game on Feb. 9th.

Old
01-15-2004, 04:04 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
Brendl was given more than a fair chance in Philly
Also, 50 games even is enough to qualify as more than a fair chance? It's not even 3/4 of a season. I find it hard to believe that a player as young as he was at the time, (20, 21) could wear out his welcome that fast. Especially a player as prolific as Brendl was coming in.

2001-02 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 8 1 0 1 2 2
2002-03 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 42 5 7 12 4

Old
01-15-2004, 04:58 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Finished the game with just the one goal. A great start he can hopefully build upon for next game.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Also, 50 games even is enough to qualify as more than a fair chance? It's not even 3/4 of a season. I find it hard to believe that a player as young as he was at the time, (20, 21) could wear out his welcome that fast. Especially a player as prolific as Brendl was coming in.

2001-02 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 8 1 0 1 2 2
2002-03 Philadelphia Flyers NHL 42 5 7 12 4
It wasn't wearing his welcome out as much as it was a lack of development, and getting a good return. He didn't show any improvement over the 42 game stretch (and he was a healthy scratch in a good number of games as well). Then Justin Williams went down with a torn ACL in January, and a few weeks later Gagne was out with a groin injury. The need for a top 6 forward was pressing. Brendl wasn't going to fit that bill and so he was shipped out for Kapanen, who did. The trade wasn't forseen. Had Gagne and/or Williams not gone down with injuries, it's not unreasonable to think that Brendl wouldn't have been dealt.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:40 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Quote:
It wasn't wearing his welcome out as much as it was a lack of development, and getting a good return. He didn't show any improvement over the 42 game stretch (and he was a healthy scratch in a good number of games as well). Then Justin Williams went down with a torn ACL in January, and a few weeks later Gagne was out with a groin injury. The need for a top 6 forward was pressing. Brendl wasn't going to fit that bill and so he was shipped out for Kapanen, who did. The trade wasn't forseen. Had Gagne and/or Williams not gone down with injuries, it's not unreasonable to think that Brendl wouldn't have been dealt.
Well I think it's worth mentioning that Brendl came over with an injury as well. He had reconstructive surgery on his knee at the end of the regular season from an injury suffered while he was a member of the Flyers. This probably played a major part in the reason he didn't show much in the way of development. I still find it odd that a player that young could be shipped out under the guise of not developing fast enough. He was 21 when he came over for crying out loud! He had just become eligible to drink alcohol in the United States and he was expected to be a superstar. I've used this analogy often, but how many of us have perfected the skills of our job at the age of 21?

Old
01-15-2004, 05:49 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Well I think it's worth mentioning that Brendl came over with an injury as well. He had reconstructive surgery on his knee at the end of the regular season from an injury suffered while he was a member of the Flyers. This probably played a major part in the reason he didn't show much in the way of development. I still find it odd that a player that young could be shipped out under the guise of not developing fast enough. He was 21 when he came over for crying out loud! He had just become eligible to drink alcohol in the United States and he was expected to be a superstar. I've used this analogy often, but how many of us have perfected the skills of our job at the age of 21?
That's true, I forgot about the injury and that certainly had to have had an impact since he had season ending surgery. But with Brendl it's more than just the on ice production, it's the work ethic and dedication. I don't think it was that he wasn't developing fast enough per se, but that he wasn't developing at all. He was plateauing, and when that happens the focus on training and hard work really gets looked at.

Not a lot of us have perfected our job skills at the age of 21, but at that age you are expected to take significant steps in your life. Pavel Brendl certainly wasn't expected to be a superstar last year. Not in the least.

Old
01-15-2004, 05:50 PM
Teemu

does he have to clear waivers to be sent down again?

Old
01-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Update. Pavel Brendl logged two assists in a win against Atlanta tonight. 2 games- 1G 2A. Anybody think he's turned the corner?

Old
01-16-2004, 06:55 PM
Plan 9

Quote:
Update. Pavel Brendl logged two assists in a win against Atlanta tonight. 2 games- 1G 2A. Anybody think he's turned the corner?
If I was able to actually watch the games, as opposed to listening to them, I might be able to give a more definite opinion on that.

But I'll have to say that I don't think he's turned the corner yet. Let's see where he is at after ten games.

But this is certainly encouraging. The team has scored eight goals in two games since he has been in the lineup. It usually takes us two weeks to score that many goals.

Closed Thread