HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

2014 Draft Thread – Part One

Closed Thread

Old
10-08-2013, 09:13 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
The one year the Sabres might actually be bad enough, the draft is significantly worse than the previous year's

Old
10-08-2013, 10:41 AM
Moskau

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
The one year the Sabres might actually be bad enough, the draft is significantly worse than the previous year's
The top of this draft has the potential to be just as good as last years. It's after that first 6 or so that it drops off. I expect quite a few later 1st round picks to be traded this year.

Old
10-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
The quality of the class doesn't matter, it's what we can get. As the comment above indicates, should we be in the top 5 we have every chance of landing an excellent prospect. It's still way too early in the scouting process and I personally haven't watched too many juniors games yet, but there are some serious forwards prospects here. Assuming Reinhart and Bennet go off the board 1-2 and we pick #3, we have our pick of many different kinds of potential impact wingers. Draisaitl would be an awesome addition to our group, just to throw a name out there. We already have the German-speaking fan base built in . There are also two very high-end defensemen prospects if they dare go that route or wish to exploit that by trading down.

It is far more likely that the Sabres end up picking #9 than it is they pick in the top 3 and we feel disappointed in what we get. Yeah, McDavid isn't in this draft, but that's life unfortunately.

Old
10-08-2013, 11:21 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Looking at the ISS List: I think Jake Virtanen is very overrated by the prospect world, I don't see what's so special about him. He just has a big body right now, so he stands out.

Old
10-08-2013, 03:10 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Looking at the ISS List: I think Jake Virtanen is very overrated by the prospect world, I don't see what's so special about him. He just has a big body right now, so he stands out.
Agreed.

Here is my current list, to the above posters, Sam Reinhart might not have been a top 5 pick in this years draft according to many NHL scouts. Mack, Drouin, Jones, Barkov all likely would have been taken higher. The one good thing is that this draft is very deep with forwards. We also could reacquire an Audette, or Turgeon and relive old times as both their kids are draft eligible.

2013-2014 NHL Draft Prospect Guide and Rankings

1. F Sam Reinhart Kootenay WHL
2. F Sam Bennett Kingston OHL
3. F Leon Draisaitl Prince Albert WHL
4. D Aaron Ekblad Barrie OHL
5. F William Nylander Rogle SWE
6. F Kasper Kapanen Kalpa FIN
7. F Michael Dal Colle Oshawa OHL
8. F Anton Karlsson Frolunda SWE
9. F Ivan Barbashev Moncton QMJHL
10. F Adrian Kempe Modo SWE
11. F Nick Ritchie Peterborough OHL
12. F Jared McCann Sault Ste. Marie OHL
13. F Jakub Vrana Linkoping SWE
14. D Roland McKeown Kingston OHL
15. F Brendan Perlini Niagara OHL
16. D Haydn Fleury Red Deer WHL
17. F Nick Schmaltz Green Bay USHL
18. F Jake Virtanen Calgary WHL
19. F Dylan Larkin USNTDP USHL
20. D Adam Ollas Mattsson Djurgarden SWE
21. D Brycen Martin Swift Current WHL
22. F Spencer Watson Kingston OHL
23. F Nikolay Goldobin Kingston OHL
24. F Oskar Lindbolm Bryans SWE
25. F Blake Clark North Bay OHL
26. F Matthew Mistele Plymouth OHL
27. F Tyson Baillie Kelowna WHL
28. F Ryan MacInnis Kitchener OHL
29. F Brayden Point Moose Jaw WHL
30. F Josh Ho-Sang Windsor OHL

Honorable Mention:

W Brendan Lemieux Barrie OHL
C Chase DeLeo Portland WHL
W Sonny Milan USNTDP USHL
D Julius Honka Swift Current WHL
D Nikita Lyamkin Chicotoumi QMJHL
G Alex Nedeljokvic Plymouth OHL

Rising:
Brendan Perlini
Sam Bennett
Ivan Barbashev
Josh Ho-Sang
Tyson Baillie

Falling:
Matthew Mistele
Blake Clarke
Nikolay Goldobin
Jake Virtanen
Ryan MacInnis

Last edited by JPurp26: 10-08-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old
10-08-2013, 03:23 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Sam Reinhart might not have been a top 5 pick in this years draft according to many NHL scouts. Mack, Drouin, Jones, Barkov all likely would have been taken higher.
They had a year of development on him last year. Drouin was 10th on the first list last year.

Old
10-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Gimme Barbashev.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:20 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
The quality of the class doesn't matter, it's what we can get.
True, but I don't know that there's a Barkov, Jones or MacKinnon available this year.

Old
10-08-2013, 09:32 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by haseoke39 View Post
True, but I don't know that there's a Barkov, Jones or MacKinnon available this year.
If we get Sam Bennett you won't be disappointed.

Plus we'll have a shot at adding McDavid with him the following year. The two of them together on the same line is unreal (from minor midget).

Old
10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
haseoke39
Brainfart 4 Reinhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
If we get Sam Bennett you won't be disappointed.
What does that mean in terms of who you compare him to in last year's draft class?

Old
10-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Moskau

Quote:
What does that mean in terms of who you compare him to in last year's draft class?
Doesn't really compare to anyone in last years draft. Not saying he plays like him but the overall package he brings reminds me of Gabriel Landeskog but with even higher upside. Possibly Jamie Benn.

Old
10-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Don't worry, we'll suck next year too

Old
10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
If I had to pick someone I would say Bo Horvat with more offensive upside and better speed.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:59 PM
JPurp26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reacher Gilt View Post
Don't worry, we'll suck next year too
McDavid would be worth it

Old
10-10-2013, 05:11 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Reinhart among Wednesday’s 3 stars:
Quote:
No. 1 star: Sam Reinhart (Kootenay Ice, WHL)

Reinhart is making a stronger case with every passing game to have his name called first at the 2014 NHL entry draft.

With his team up 2-1 against the Lethbridge Hurricanes in the middle of the second frame, Reinhart took over the latter half of the game. Following scoring an even-strength goal in the second period, he set up a Zak Zborosky marker and potted his second of the night on the power play to lead the Ice to a 5-2 win.

The 6-foot-1, 183-pound centre sits second in the WHL scoring race behind Spokane Chiefs forward Mitch Holmberg with seven goals and 19 points in eight games. It is inevitable that his current point production of 2.37 points a night will drop off, but he’s already shown he’s capable of scoring 100-plus points this year despite not having a great offensive supporting cast in Kootenay. Albeit it appears he’ll have to notch triple digits in less than 72 games because he seems to have a great shot at earning a spot on Team Canada’s world junior squad.
Nylander's first goal of the season:

Old
10-11-2013, 03:25 PM
BananaSquad

Perlini leading the OHL in scoring! I'm excited to see if he can keep this up (for the ice dogs sake lol they need it) and see where he is rated on the mid rankings. Be cool to see an Ice Dog drafted by the Sabres, but it looks like Buffalo may be picking top 3 this year.

Old
10-11-2013, 03:43 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Fair enough but I guess part of my point was that in typical years you get maybe one of those guys, sometimes none. If we aren't #1 overall then it really doesn't matter, and the odds are we won't be #1 overall, despite how bad of a start we're having. The guys available at #2, #3, #4 seem at this early juncture to be fairly typical level of prospect for that position. The point being that if this is a weak draft or not, if you get a top 3 or top 5 pick you can advance your organization's cause greatly and that's no different this year. Bennett, Draisaitl, Nylander, etc would all be a big boost, and if we don't have Vanek and Miller next season we're probably reasonably in the race for McDavid who is that MacKinnon-level (perhaps higher) prospect.

Old
10-11-2013, 04:09 PM
sabresandcanucks

I think McDavid is going to be great....but I also think the hype machine is going to make him out to be better than he actually is. In fact, I bet as we get closer to the 2015 draft his stock will fall somewhat, much like Tavares when he was drafted and Hall prior to his draft...the year before each was drafted there was talk that some scouts would have taken each 1st overall had they been available.

Note, I am not saying McDavid is a bust or will not be a superstar in the league...only pointing out the hype machine and how it tends to blow peoples opinions out of proportion...often at the expense of other players like Reinhart given the recent chatter on this forum.

Old
10-11-2013, 04:32 PM

Matt Barzal, Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid are all in that elite prospect category from what I've seen/heard.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:29 PM
jc17

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Perlini leading the OHL in scoring! I'm excited to see if he can keep this up (for the ice dogs sake lol they need it) and see where he is rated on the mid rankings. Be cool to see an Ice Dog drafted by the Sabres, but it looks like Buffalo may be picking top 3 this year.
Thats why a few 1sts would be nice. Imagine getting him and reinhart. That would be pretty nice. You would think those 2, armia, and grigorenko could replace vanek's scoring.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:20 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
Matt Barzal, Jack Eichel and Connor McDavid are all in that elite prospect category from what I've seen/heard.
Bring on 2015.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:27 PM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

Reinhart or bust this year for me, kid looks like something special.

Old
10-11-2013, 11:52 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaSquad View Post
Adding some context, as IceDogs’ Brendan Perlini notches first OHL hat trick, now in scoring lead: Thursday’s 3 Stars:
Quote:
No. 1 star: Brendan Perlini, Niagara IceDogs (OHL)

Gee, thanks, Mr. Spoil Everyone's 2014 Draft Sleepers List. Perlini (3G-2A, +3) kept building on his torrid start to his draft season as he and Toronto Maple Leafs third-rounder Carter Verhaeghe (2G-3A, +3) factored into the first five IceDogs goals during their 7-2 evisceration of the visiting Owen Sound Attack.

Perlini now leads the OHL in scoring with 17 points in eight games, with Verhaeghe right behind with 16. The IceDogs have scored 29 goals, so these guys are carrying the show. Perlini drew assists on two goals by Verhaeghe before the match was 4½ minutes old, then scored Niagara's third goal on just its sixth shot of the night at the 10-minute mark to chase starting goalie Jack Flinn.

Stuff you can't make up: New York Islanders rookie Ryan Strome, who like Perlini came to Niagara in a trade with the Barrie Colts, also got his first OHL hat trick in the eighth game of his sophomore season. Strome only had one apple that night, but it did come in a road game.

Perlini, a promising skilled forward with size, buried two power-play goals in the second period when the 'Dogs put Owen Sound away early.

Old
10-12-2013, 12:55 AM
McTank

Wow this perlini kid is off to one hell of a start, I think the top 3 of 2015 will be similar to last year's draft in the sense a franchise changing player can be picked at each spot, if we keep playing like this we should be looking at a top notch prospect in 2014 as well

Old
10-12-2013, 01:14 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
I think McDavid is going to be great....but I also think the hype machine is going to make him out to be better than he actually is. In fact, I bet as we get closer to the 2015 draft his stock will fall somewhat, much like Tavares when he was drafted and Hall prior to his draft...the year before each was drafted there was talk that some scouts would have taken each 1st overall had they been available.

Note, I am not saying McDavid is a bust or will not be a superstar in the league...only pointing out the hype machine and how it tends to blow peoples opinions out of proportion...often at the expense of other players like Reinhart given the recent chatter on this forum.
Unlike either Hall or Tavares, McDavid really has no discernible flaws.
His skating is elite, unlike Tavares, and he is not reckless to a fault like Hall, plus his hockey sense is better and he plays the most preferable position.
At 15, size and strength was an issue, but he's grown about three inches and put on twenty pounds in the last year.
I would not be surprised if he plays at 6'1 or 6'2 and over 200 pounds like his brother.

And if anything, Reinhart has been overrated lately in my opinion, especially when things are said like "he will not be far off from McDavid".
He's RNH without the great skating and agility, which is a huge part of RNH's game.
The fact that people seem to like to label RNH as a poor first overall pick and then turn around and say that Reinhart will be one is funny to me.
He's a fine player, but he just doesn't have the star power you look for in a first overall pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Bring on 2015.
2015 is looking to be very, very good at this point.
A number of players have gotten off to great starts in major junior, the NTDP group has a bunch of talent, and there looks to be some great Europeans too.

Keep a look out for my boy Mitch Marner, who has stepped into a loaded London team, played minimal minutes, and has already been able to consistently produce.
With his skill set and the way he's been growing (4'8'' 90 lbs to 5'10'' 164 in the last two years), I see him as tied for second with Dylan Strome in terms of potential among Ontario 1997 forwards, behind only a certain someone named McDavid.

Last edited by jfb392: 10-12-2013 at 01:29 AM.
Closed Thread