HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Holmgren Deserves to get Fired

Old
10-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Jeff Carter deal was a mistake too... You can't trade a 40 goals scorer like that...
Jeff Carter scored 40 goals 1 like 6 years ago. He's a 30 goal scorer.

Plus Holmgren got the #8 overall pick plus Voracek. Voracek is arguably a better player right now + they have Couturier.

Maybe they were the wrong moves, but Holmgren made out pretty well on both deals.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:15 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by buff View Post
Jeff Carter deal was a mistake too... You can't trade a 40 goals scorer like that...
Nope, I can see arguments for keeping Richards but the Carter deal was a very good one. I'd do that trade 10 out 10 times.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:30 AM
flyershockey

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Nope, I can see arguments for keeping Richards but the Carter deal was a very good one. I'd do that trade 10 out 10 times.
Especially when you consider that at the time Carter was either unwilling to, or couldn't transition to the wing. That was tough on the lineup when we had Giroux, Briere, and Richards who were all better suited for the center spot.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:46 AM
MP92

Yes, Jeff Carter is a 30 goal scorer and not a very efficient one at that. The dude has to shoot 320 pucks on net to get 30. Matt Read is a more efficient shooter than him and he was undrafted. If you want to make the case the Richards trade was a mistake, fine. I didn't like his attitude the last season he was here but he was/is a great 2 way player and one of the best in the game in that regard.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I never wanted them to trade Richards, but the return on Carter was fantastic. It would have been awesome to have Richie and Coots playing the PK together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyershockey View Post
Especially when you consider that at the time Carter was either unwilling to, or couldn't transition to the wing. That was tough on the lineup when we had Giroux, Briere, and Richards who were all better suited for the center spot.
Of course once he got to LA he was so grateful for being rescued from Columbus that he turned into a total team guy who was happy to play wing.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Legion of Goon
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 200
I was OK with the Carter trade and think it worked out well.

But I was not a fan of the Richards trade, it might be a good trade in the end, bur I am a huge Richards fan and not a B schenn fan yet.

Legion of Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 12:50 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

•Bob McKenzie on NHL Live: Flyers coaching change, Holmgren’s future and the spin-o-r

http://kuklaskorner.com/hockey/comme...illy-and-spins

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 12:54 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

The Carter trade has worked out for the Flyers. I think most Flyer fans would agree with that. The Richards trade is still up in the air. So far its not looking like it has worked out.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:04 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The Carter trade has worked out for the Flyers. I think most Flyer fans would agree with that. The Richards trade is still up in the air. So far its not looking like it has worked out.
Carter trade was a good hockey trade....Howson made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

Richards situation was one big mess and was made for a host of reasons...many up for debate but one of them was definitely b/c him and the coach were not on the same page and in Richards' defense maybe he had legitimate reasons as we are seeing. I do remember him calling out Lavi in public on his PP schemes when they were struggling although Mullin took a lot of heat too at the time from the fans. Nonetheless, they didn't want to fire another coach so he got shipped out along with Carter. Also I doubt Richards would have been any happier had Carter been sent and he remained which didn't seem likely to happen anyway.

I like the returns they got for Richards still but yeah I want to see more from B Schenn...but getting Schenn, Simmonds and invariably Grossmann was pretty good IMO although a D man would have helped..obviously.

Old
10-08-2013, 01:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Yeah the Carter and Richards trades don't register on the "fire Holmgren" meter for at all. He's made his mistakes, but those two are not on that list. If even one of those guys was still on this team, there is no telling what the roster would look like right now. I'm not so sure Read and Giroux are here long term if Richards or Carter is still here. I think if they are both still here there is slim to no chance that they are (or at least you are looking at a very different Giroux who may not be the player he is today because of the glut of centers this team has). It is a slippery slope to start playing the what-if game with Richards and Carter.

We got a good return for both players. Even if Schenn doesn't turn out to be the stud many thought he would be, I think I still go with Schenn, Simmonds, and the pick over Richards.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:14 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Carter trade was a good hockey trade....Howson made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

Richards situation was one big mess and was made for a host of reasons...many up for debate but one of them was definitely b/c him and the coach were not on the same page and in Richards' defense maybe he had legitimate reasons as we are seeing. I do remember him calling out Lavi in public on his PP schemes when they were struggling although Mullin took a lot of heat too at the time from the fans. Nonetheless, they didn't want to fire another coach so he got shipped out along with Carter. Also I doubt Richards would have been any happier had Carter been sent and he remained which didn't seem likely to happen anyway.

I like the returns they got for Richards still but yeah I want to see more from B Schenn...but getting Schenn, Simmonds and invariably Grossmann was pretty good IMO although a D man would have helped..obviously.
the Richards trade was definitely controversial. Why was he really traded? depends on who you believe. I didnt like it at the time and now I still am not sure in the end it will work out. Simmonds has played well and by all accounts is a fan favorite. The bigger question mark will be Schenn. Way to early to write him off but if he does not work out then it the deal will be a loss.
I know some around here are glad that Richards was traded but they have yet to replace what he brings to the rink every night.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 01:19 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the Richards trade was definitely controversial. Why was he really traded? depends on who you believe. I didnt like it at the time and now I still am not sure in the end it will work out. Simmonds has played well and by all accounts is a fan favorite. The bigger question mark will be Schenn. Way to early to write him off but if he does not work out then it the deal will be a loss.
I know some around here are glad that Richards was traded but they have yet to replace what he brings to the rink every night.
I disagree with this. They have yet to replace in one single player, but I think a cobination of Simmonds, Schenn, and Couturier bring to the table what Richards brought. Simmonds with the energy, Schenn with the all-around game (though not the same level), and Couturier with the defense.

Not every trade has to be an absolute hose job or a complete disaster. I think this trade will go down as a good deal for both teams. Richards was my favorite player and I hated to see him go, but again, if right now the Kings offered Richards for Simmonds, Schenn, and a third would you do it? I wouldn't.

Old
10-08-2013, 01:21 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Yeah the Carter and Richards trades don't register on the "fire Holmgren" meter for at all. He's made his mistakes, but those two are not on that list. If even one of those guys was still on this team, there is no telling what the roster would look like right now. I'm not so sure Read and Giroux are here long term if Richards or Carter is still here. I think if they are both still here there is slim to no chance that they are (or at least you are looking at a very different Giroux who may not be the player he is today because of the glut of centers this team has). It is a slippery slope to start playing the what-if game with Richards and Carter.

We got a good return for both players. Even if Schenn doesn't turn out to be the stud many thought he would be, I think I still go with Schenn, Simmonds, and the pick over Richards.
I thought Holmgren redeemed himself with that trade and I said I would judge him again from that trade forward. His follow up unfortunately has not been very good at all...

Old
10-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
I disagree with this. They have yet to replace in one single player, but I think a cobination of Simmonds, Schenn, and Couturier bring to the table what Richards brought. Simmonds with the energy, Schenn with the all-around game (though not the same level), and Couturier with the defense.

Not every trade has to be an absolute hose job or a complete disaster. I think this trade will go down as a good deal for both teams. Richards was my favorite player and I hated to see him go, but again, if right now the Kings offered Richards for Simmonds, Schenn, and a third would you do it? I wouldn't.
If you're relying on three players to replace one player, you haven't really replaced that player.

10-08-2013, 01:30 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If you're relying on three players to replace one player, you haven't really replaced that player.
Not really..they needed more depth and strength at the wings unfortunately it hasn't been enough...Schenn has to break out for it to be completely worth it though. He was the main return..

Old
10-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Appleyard

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Not really..they needed more depth and strength at the wings unfortunately it hasn't been enough...Schenn has to break out for it to be completely worth it though. He was the main return..
I think if Schenn plays consistently on 2LW he breaks 50 points, and if we they make the playoffs he is probably in the 55-60 range.

Factored he had 46 last season... while going missing for large stretches, playing pretty tough minutes, and being shuffled around a lot... and spending a lot of time with Briere, which incidentally were the games his production dipped relatively.

At times last year he looked fantastic, fast, strong, physical and very underrated defensively. I only question his consistency and his hockey IQ, he has the other tools, and hopefully maturity irons out those two obvious kinks in his game.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:29 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
He thought Leighton was an NHL goalie...

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
On paper, no you haven't. But having several players that bring the same thing to the team (to a lesser extent) for the same price is pretty close. Otherwise you will have Richards, and likely lesser players playing where Simmonds and Schenn are playing because of salary cap constraints and other roster issues. Do you want the one guy who can do it all and have two guys out there that are just meh, or do you want the three guys that bring all those aspects of the game to the team but to a lesser extent?

Here is a good way to judge the trade...right now would you trade Schenn, Simmonds, and a third for Richards?

Old
10-08-2013, 05:40 PM
Curufinwe

Now I would since Richie is two years closer to breaking down. Back then, I was opposed.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 06:32 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Now I would since Richie is two years closer to breaking down. Back then, I was opposed.
That doesn't really answer the question. If you are saying you would do it now, then you are saying the trade worked out well for the Flyers. There are a lot of trades I wouldn't make at the time that I would make now and vice versa. Whether you would do them at the time of the trade is not what I am asking. I am asking whether you would do it now. That is the sign of a good trade. If you would do it today, I think that indicates that it was a good deal. If you wouldn't do it today, well then it probably wasn't a good trade.

Old
10-08-2013, 07:31 PM
Prongo
Beer

Dreger on insider trading tonight said Homer will step down on his own terms and on his own time. He was fighting to get Hextall back here so he can take over when he is done.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 07:52 PM
Viller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Dreger on insider trading tonight said Homer will step down on his own terms and on his own time. He was fighting to get Hextall back here so he can take over when he is done.
Im more than ok with Holmgren, I think he makes watching the Flyers more entertaining than most teams. Nobody should be surprised at this(Dreger's comments), hes been extremely successful as the Flyers GM, no reason to fire him.

I am not a fan of the "watch paint dry" approach to building a team, the Flyers have never been and will never be. Holmgren is still the best fit.

People saying the Richards, Carter and Bryzgalov should have gotten him fired are forgetting or just being ignorant to the facts surrounding all those situations.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 08:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Sounds about right....he has his escape plan should things go sour...like missing the playoffs again. This is what I figured..he would "step down." It seemed logical when they got Hextall. They probably discussed it beforehand...

Old
10-08-2013, 08:41 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:

If you include Couturier then you have to include losing Carter. If we need those 3 guys to replace Richards and it also cost us Carter, I don't see how it could be considered a good trade.

zarley zelepukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
If you include Couturier then you have to include losing Carter. If we need those 3 guys to replace Richards and it also cost us Carter, I don't see how it could be considered a good trade.
In a salary cap world having more players with lower salaries is better than a single player with a high salary, unless that player is Chara, Crosby, Malkin, etc. It seems usually better to have solid depth with medium salaries than to have no depth with high end salaries. The Boston team and LA team that won the Stanley Cup have a good blend. Once a team wins though, the salaries on the team go up and depth is depleted. I would much rather have a team of 3 solid lines than a team of on or 1.5 solid lines.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote