HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Calahan promoted to the big club

Old
11-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

vCash: 500
I'm going to suspend my judgment on these moves untill after I see the lines production or lack there of tomorrow night. I will however go on record to say that I dont like Prucha being moved down, but if moving him will allow them two solid scoring lines then so be it. Also I didnt see it mentioned but Weekes is getting the go tomorrow night,but i'm sure we will talk more about that in tomorrows GDT. So like I said i'm going to hold off on any disagreements untill after I see the game tomorrow night. But I am glad to see Calahan getting to play, especially this game which i'm sure will be hard faught.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:39 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

The problem I have with moving Prucha is the center he will be playing with--Betts is incapable of passing and when he played with Prucha last year there was zero chemistry between them. This doesn't seem like a move that will succeed--if anything, it will only hurt Prucha more by making him even less likely to score. Plus, what's the point of playing Hartford's hottest scorer on the 4th line? Callahan will get his 4 minutes of NHL fame, everyone will comment on the jump he had and then, as soon as Ward is ready to come back, he will be re-assigned to Hartford. Big deal. It really won't help in the short run and doesn't solve any of the real problems this team has.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 10:13 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
The problem I have with moving Prucha is the center he will be playing with--Betts is incapable of passing and when he played with Prucha last year there was zero chemistry between them. This doesn't seem like a move that will succeed--if anything, it will only hurt Prucha more by making him even less likely to score. Plus, what's the point of playing Hartford's hottest scorer on the 4th line? Callahan will get his 4 minutes of NHL fame, everyone will comment on the jump he had and then, as soon as Ward is ready to come back, he will be re-assigned to Hartford. Big deal. It really won't help in the short run and doesn't solve any of the real problems this team has.
The tired linemate excuse is here to rear it's ugly head..

Betts isn't an offensive player but neither is Prucha right now.

Hmm what's the point of Hartfords best scorer on the 4th line? I don't know but tell us who should he take over for on the right side on the top two lines? Jagr or Shanny?

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 03:22 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
I don't know if this was said or not, but is it really a good idea to have him make his debut against Buffalo?

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 04:02 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

What I said about Betts is the truth--I have no problems with him in the lineup, but he doesn't have enough of a scoring touch to make up for his inability to find his linemates who are in a position to score and get them the puck. And it doesn't help Prucha regain his scoring touch to put him with Betts. Finally, I never suggested putting Callahan on either of the top two lines, just suggested what will likely happen. It's a poor use of players and it doesn't help the team. But, then again, this team is poorly constructed and it shows, even when they are winning.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 05:50 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist=Vezina View Post
I don't know if this was said or not, but is it really a good idea to have him make his debut against Buffalo?
Absolutely. In my opinion, there actually isn't a better team for him to debut against given his style play (incredibly fast, all over the ice) and hometown (Rochester, NY). And the fact that Buffalo's the best (or second best) team in the league actually makes me feel that there will be no significant repercussions if he messes up (other than of course sitting for a period). Briere blew by you to score a goal? The reaction is "eh, it happens to the best players in the league on a nightly basis." Whereas if you make the bonehead play to allow St. Louis to win....

I don't mind him on the 4th line, either. Give him a chance to get his feet wet, without putting too much pressure on him. Prucha started out on the lower lines last year and look what his season turned into. Plus if you decide to send him back down, it's a much smaller blow to his confidence, because it's a really easy sell to say "hey kid, good job filling in for me here while I had a player out. I like what I see, keep it up in Hartford and you're going to have a permanent spot up here real soon." Whereas if you stick him on the 2nd line and you wind up sending him back down, it's really hard to interpret that as anything other than "you blew your big audition, kiddo."

The more I think about it, the more I like these moves. I don't see this as a demotion for Prucha, but rather taking some of the pressure off. I've GOT to believe he's been pressing more and more with each recent game. This is like moving a slumping player down in the batting order until he gets his stroke back - and I think it can work. I agree that Betts isn't the ideal centerman for him, but then we've known since training camp that the center on every line is playing out of position - Nylander should be a 2, Cullen should be a 3 (or perhaps play wing) and Betts should be a 4. Frankly, I'd love to see Prucha play with Nylander, but I don't see that happening until we get a true number one center or Straka retires. Meanwhile, I actually think that Marcel Hossa on the other wing is a GOOD thing for Prucha. Hossa has been better and better on the puck, but remains timid when it comes to scoring - so while Betts doesn't pass enough, I can see Hossa deferring to Prucha the way Nylander and Straka defer to Jags. (Although of course I'd like to see Marcel gain that scoring confidence too.)

Based on the (admittedly ONE) Hartford game that I watched on B2, you guys are going to like what you see from Cally. And I predict he's going to make it real tough for the coaches to send him back down (although I think it'll probably happen unless Ward's injury worsens or someone else gets hurt).

Edit: Another thing I like about these moves is that I think Hall's STYLE is better suited to play with Shanny and Cullen. The third player on a line with those two is much better served being a drive-to-the-net-and-pick-up-garbage guy rather than a sniper. Not saying I love Cullen centering the second line with Shanny, just that if you ARE going to have those two playing together on a line, Hall is a better choice than Prucha for the other wing. (Whereas if Nylander were the second line center, Prucha would be a much better fit.)

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 12-01-2006 at 06:36 AM.
BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:34 AM
J-Dawg

According to nyrangers.com, looks like Callahan will be sporting #43 tonight...

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Fletch

Tired linemate excuse?

Betts had two assists last season. I believe he assisted on zero of Prucha's 30 goals, despite playing a fair amount with him. It's not an excuse, it's a reality. You don't get a goal scorer going by playing him with a guy like Betts.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 09:40 AM
J-Dawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Betts had two assists last season. I believe he assisted on zero of Prucha's 30 goals, despite playing a fair amount with him. It's not an excuse, it's a reality. You don't get a goal scorer going by playing him with a guy like Betts.
Yeah I think it's a BAD move to move Prucha down with Betts...

J-Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I still don't know much about Hall. He's definitely not a playmaker, and he doesn't score many goals at ES (scored 4 last season, one this season). We all like what he's 'supposed' to bring, but who knows what he really will bring.
Well, we know he'll stand in the crease on the PP. If Renney wants to reward him, he should give him extra time when he's most effective.......with the man advantage.

Now that I've been thinking about it, it's cool to reward Cally's play with a call-up, but it sure could have been a benefit to the Rangers to bring a center up and see what a capable 2nd/3rd line playmaker could do for the team's offensive potential.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:56 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Well, we know he'll stand in the crease on the PP. If Renney wants to reward him, he should give him extra time when he's most effective.......with the man advantage.
That sounds good in principle, but who do you move off the first unit to do that? Do you push Nylander or Shanahan back to the point? Do you move Nylander to the second unit? Not saying I disagree necessarily, but the team has been picking up steam on the PP (well, 5-on-4 anyway) as the year has progressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Now that I've been thinking about it, it's cool to reward Cally's play with a call-up, but it sure could have been a benefit to the Rangers to bring a center up and see what a capable 2nd/3rd line playmaker could do for the team's offensive potential.
Now THAT is a statement I can agree with without any hesitation.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:56 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Good to see an injection of youth in Callahan if he plays

It doesnt matter what team he plays against really, NHL is NHL, im sure he wont care, plus hes from up in NY.

As far as the Hall Prucha flip i dont mind. Ride the hot stick right now. Besides, Prucha wil lget some time vs lesser defensman, and the maybe Prucha wil lget Betts skating harder like earlier in November.

Hall moving to the second could actually work. If you notice, Prucha has been waiting a little too high in the slot and taking too long to get shots off, not getting the one timers off because the d are right in his face, for some reason he hasnt been getting low enough to the net, whether its a defensive minded thing or has to do with his linemates or whatever.

Hall will go right to the net and open up some room for Cullen and Shanny so im up to take a look at it, though youll probably sacrifice in the backchecking dept because Prucha wont be there. Plus Shanny might have to skate a little more because Hall isnt as fleet of foot.

But im actually more excited to see what the 3rd line can do than the 2nd.

Betts - Ward - Hossa have actually been playing pretty well and pressuring and cycling but they dont have that crafty stick wizard to get it into a shooting position, but youll get that with Prucha. Hossa might benefit from having him there and weve all seen Pruchas willingness to stay conscious of the opponents around him going back, so you'll lose nothgin defensively.
Prucha might get to the net even more on this line and it could jump start him offensively if they get the right amount of time to work it out.

Not sure if Buffalo is the best team to do this against but theyve already lost 3 to them so what the hell.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:05 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
That sounds good in principle, but who do you move off the first unit to do that?
Dare I say, balance out the time for the PP units and leave Hall on the 2nd one? Ok, Hall scored the goals on Wednesday, but the unit as a whole has been good enough to warrant more time.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:50 AM
KING

Callahan's on call

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...-rangers-print

KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:59 AM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Lets hope he see's some ice time.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:46 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
The tired linemate excuse is here to rear it's ugly head..

Betts isn't an offensive player but neither is Prucha right now.

Hmm what's the point of Hartfords best scorer on the 4th line? I don't know but tell us who should he take over for on the right side on the top two lines? Jagr or Shanny?
Don't think it's an excuse but rather an unfortunate truth.

A guy who scores 8 goals and 2 assists is not the center you play a 30 goal scorer with.

Betts is a 4th line center. Now he's good at being a 4th line center, and he's a good defensive player but this isn't a move that "balances" anything. This is a move that just does not maximize assets.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 05:54 PM
True Blue

I still do not understand

how Prucha can get alternatively benched and demoted, while Cullen does not. What is the excuse there? Prucha being demoted is not a good move, IMO. Heck, Hossa skated on the 2nd line until New Year's last year.

As for Callahan, it would make sense to play him on the 3rd line if he has a spark of offensive ability. Betts and Hossa kill any chances of offense on the 3rd line, so putting Betts where he rightfully belongs (on the 4th line is the right move). I would actually like to see a 3rd line of

Ward-Callahan-Hall

Not that it has any chance of happening.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 06:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Prucha doesn't need Betts to set him..It's not like Betts line is always in the defensive zone...Betts stats are terrible but he has shown offensive abilty..

Guys right now is Prucha doing anything to deserve second line minutes? I know Cullen isn't but we aren't exactly the deepest team down the middle right now..Forget Immonen for a second he isn't a viable option because he hasn't made himself a viable option...

It's a shame to read about linemates Prucha is missing right now on shots and is taking to long to get shots off...Perhaps "being the man" on a line would be good for him..

Old
12-02-2006, 12:32 AM
True Blue Bleed Blue

How'd he play tonight guys? Missed it unfortunately, saw Rangers in 60 and one good period but not much of him

True Blue Bleed Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 02:52 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
How'd he play tonight guys? Missed it unfortunately, saw Rangers in 60 and one good period but not much of him
He did not play much but he looked good with the time he had. I think he can play in the NHL, he was always back on the play, very quick player. I think he can play on the 4th line this year.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 09:23 AM
Hockey MD

Send a message via AIM to Hockey MD
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue Bleed Blue View Post
I liked what I saw for however brief it was. I would to see him in a few more games, I think Renney needs to play the 4 lines, more often.

Hockey MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 09:55 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruchaYeah View Post
I liked what I saw for however brief it was. I would to see him in a few more games, I think Renney needs to play the 4 lines, more often.
agreed, if he overplays the top guys now, they will be tired by the feburary. He needs to have more balance in ice time. There were not alot of PP time last night and yet only 3 mins for the 4th line, most teams put their 4th line 6-9 mins, hockey is still different here

Old
12-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

um if renney doesn't overplay the top guys now we aren't going to have meanigful hockey in febuaray..

the same people that complain about ice time would be complaining worse than..

its a no win for renney....if my job was coach infact if anybody on this boards job was coach i'd venture to guess we would be doing the same thing. Renney is trying to win games here not trying to make sure callahan gets to 5 minutes..

after an icing when the 4th line is up why shouldn't renney put the jagr unit (who were flying last night) out?

it's hogwash to think that this is somehow some conspiracy to undermine a kids career...has it ever occured to anybody that we do have youth in the lineup or that some of the kids in hartford aren't ready?

no because if it did we would have nothing to talk about....anyway my teams in first place and picking up points game in game out....sorry callahan if your minutes have to be sacrificed for the point or points so be it...that should be the attitude..this isn't ehm this is reality...

Old
12-02-2006, 02:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
um if renney doesn't overplay the top guys now we aren't going to have meanigful hockey in febuaray..

the same people that complain about ice time would be complaining worse than..

its a no win for renney....if my job was coach infact if anybody on this boards job was coach i'd venture to guess we would be doing the same thing. Renney is trying to win games here not trying to make sure callahan gets to 5 minutes..

after an icing when the 4th line is up why shouldn't renney put the jagr unit (who were flying last night) out?

it's hogwash to think that this is somehow some conspiracy to undermine a kids career...has it ever occured to anybody that we do have youth in the lineup or that some of the kids in hartford aren't ready?

no because if it did we would have nothing to talk about....anyway my teams in first place and picking up points game in game out....sorry callahan if your minutes have to be sacrificed for the point or points so be it...that should be the attitude..this isn't ehm this is reality...
yea but whats the point of overplaying the players now if they have no gas like the end of last year and towards the playoffs. I know last year they had the olympics but that is not the point. Id rather have a balanced ice time now so players dont get tired and worn out by the playoffs.