HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tom Pyatt

Old
11-30-2006, 07:51 PM
BLACKBURN

vCash: 500
Tom Pyatt

How good is this guy? Hes been putting up great numbers and I remember the organization being impressed with his play.

BLACKBURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 09:27 PM
The Big Apple

He is very sound in nearly every aspect of the game. He has an incredible defensive game for a player his age, and has slowly developed his offense game. His numbers get better every year and he is improving all around. Right now he is in the top ten in points and goals. He's going to be a player.

The Big Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2006, 11:55 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Apple View Post
He is very sound in nearly every aspect of the game. He has an incredible defensive game for a player his age, and has slowly developed his offense game. His numbers get better every year and he is improving all around. Right now he is in the top ten in points and goals. He's going to be a player.
i hope he is better than his brother, although I was hoping for us to get Pyatt in the summer. We can use more size on the wings. Maybe we can get Sauer's brother from the Avs and have the Sauer brothers on d, they would be an upgrade over the clowns rozsival and malik

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 02:19 AM
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
Pyatt is a star for my favorite team in the O the Saginaw Spirit

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 06:50 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

McKeen's hockey did a write up on Saginaw.They attributed Tom Pyatt's offensive explosion to playing with Jan Murasek who is a Red Wing selection.Pyatt is an excellent two way player.Murasek creates the chances which Pyatt puts into the net.His work on defensive side of the puck is stellar.Good leader.Plays against the opponents top line.Sounds like a future Kris Draper who Detroit picked up on waivers from Winnipeg for a $1 waiver fee

McKeen's didn't mention Tomas Zaborsky and were not impressed with Matt Corrente

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Edge

Pyatt's future is as a smart player. He'll chip in some points, but his big thing is going to be two-way play and a lot of the smart, little things that help teams win games.

I know this sounds reptitive but he's another one who seems to fall into that third line potential range.

This is what we've been talking about for a few years now. The Rangers have a good group of potentially very good third liners. The problem is that some of their higher end talent is a little thing or at the very least more of a hit or miss.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:30 PM
Anthony Mauro
DB Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
McKeen's hockey did a write up on Saginaw.They attributed Tom Pyatt's offensive explosion to playing with Jan Murasek who is a Red Wing selection.Pyatt is an excellent two way player.Murasek creates the chances which Pyatt puts into the net.His work on defensive side of the puck is stellar.Good leader.Plays against the opponents top line.Sounds like a future Kris Draper who Detroit picked up on waivers from Winnipeg for a $1 waiver fee

McKeen's didn't mention Tomas Zaborsky and were not impressed with Matt Corrente
It's Mursak and I would attribute Pyatt's production to having a player that can thread any type of pass and just simply create something in the offensive zone as well as just being another year older in experience.

Anthony Mauro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 01:16 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
Pyatt's future is as a smart player. He'll chip in some points, but his big thing is going to be two-way play and a lot of the smart, little things that help teams win games.

I know this sounds reptitive but he's another one who seems to fall into that third line potential range.

This is what we've been talking about for a few years now. The Rangers have a good group of potentially very good third liners. The problem is that some of their higher end talent is a little thing or at the very least more of a hit or miss.
Agreed.

The more time that passes the more clear it becomes that in regards to 3rd and 4th line players we're pretty set. The problem is in prospects for the 1st and 2nd line.

Again it is a point you and others have made repeatedly, but for me anyway it is just really beginning to sink in.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 01:55 PM
McRanger

Quote:

Cue post about Jessiman...

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 02:34 PM
xander

superficially, I've never seen Pyatt play, he seems to look alot like Ryan Callahan: a smaller foward whose defensively responcible but also has a decent pair of hands, eventually projecting to the third line.

It's fustrating that so many of our prospects top out as third liners, but these guys also look like they can turn into somthing that this team currently lacks: bottom 6 players that can both score and be defensively responcible.

It's looking more and more like the current system is going to produce a very good foundation for the organization to build on: Good two-way grinders, some good second liners (crossing my fingers for Dawes, Dubinsky ande maybe Korpikoski here), good two way defensemen (Sauer, Tyutin, Baranka), maybe a premier shutdown guy (Staal), and a possible starting goalie (Montoya.)

Chances are that the rangers will have too aquire that premier player or two, which is a shame, but hopefully the organization will already have developed a good core group of players for that premier guy to play with.

The team we're playing tonight is actually a very good model for what I think the rangers are building towards: alot of depth, alot of interchageable team oriented players that have been brought up through the system and have learned to play greater as a whole than they would as induvidual parts.

Last edited by xander: 12-01-2006 at 02:44 PM.
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 02:43 PM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Agreed.

The more time that passes the more clear it becomes that in regards to 3rd and 4th line players we're pretty set. The problem is in prospects for the 1st and 2nd line.
i agree for the most part, but I do think there is some hope when it comes to the second line.

Dubinsky and Dawes still project as second liners.

other guys in the system like Cliche, Anisimov, Kveton, Olver, and Maybe Korpikoski have the ability to become second liners if they develop right.

Now all these guys are risks, but I think the rangers probably have enough guys in the system that atleast 2 to 3 of them hit they're potential and make up a good second line for years to come.

the problem is that there really isn't anyone that projects to the first line.

Old
12-01-2006, 05:05 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Again it is a point you and others have made repeatedly, but for me anyway it is just really beginning to sink in.
Better late then never, I guess.

Seriously, I do not know how many times we have to keep saying that Sather hurt the rebuild with his throwing away of draft picks (first half) and fairly poor job of early draft picks (second half). He seems to have gotten the Montoya & Stall picks right, but (shudder) some of his other choices.....

And, btw, that is why there will ALWAYS be posts regarding Jessiman and Falardeau. Sather had no right to take such risks with those draft picks.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 06:38 PM
Pizza

Well living where I live I am privileged to watch Dustin Brown and Ryan Getzlaf on almost a nightly basis. Thinking about either one of those two in our system in place of Jessiman is beginning to hurt like hell. It just kills me. The brutal truth is that the Rangers made a huge mistake here and it will hurt for a long time.

Hopefully Staal, Montoya and Sanguinetti turn out better, but as far as big, physical forwards we're basically down to Moore, Dubinsky, Byers and Dupont. Of those four only Dubinsky projects as better than a third liner....maybe Dupont.

In terms of what you said xander I pretty much agree with you. The base is pretty good.....it's just that even if we had gotten '03 right with Brown or Getzlaf we'd really have cause for genuine optimism around here. As it is we have more question marks than I'd like to see.

Hopefully we'll turn up an Ace or two with picks after '03.

Old
12-01-2006, 10:28 PM
Rangers_23
Beuke!

Send a message via AIM to Rangers_23 Send a message via MSN to Rangers_23
Quote:

Spot on as usual, Edge. However I could see Pyatt as one of those guys that's top 6 for a year or two if he clicks really well on a line, similar to how Mike York clicked with Lindros for half a season or so.

Regardless of how he turns out, I definitely think Tom will make the show.

Rangers_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 08:20 AM
True Blue

Quote:
The base is pretty good.....it's just that even if we had gotten '03 right with Brown or Getzlaf we'd really have cause for genuine optimism around here. As it is we have more question marks than I'd like to see.
In that particular draft, it hurts a lot. Throw out those two names and replace with Richards. Hurts just as much.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
xander

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
In that particular draft, it hurts a lot. Throw out those two names and replace with Richards. Hurts just as much.
it's fustrating because 2003 was an epic draft in which just about every team hit the jackpot.....except us. and just to be masochistic:

Dustin Brown
Brent Seabrook
Robert Nilsson
Steve Bernier
Zach Parise
Eric Fehr
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart
Corey Perry
Patrick Eaves

all picked after jessiman. We don't have a single boneafide firstline prospect and there are 8 guys in that list that you can argue have first line talent, and a few that are no brainers. The guys that arnt firstliners will be good two-way guys. If you'd taken the 30 guys drafted in the first round, put there names in a hat and drew randomly you still had a really good chance of getting a great player, some how the rangers messed it up.

Old
12-02-2006, 11:28 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
it's fustrating because 2003 was an epic draft in which just about every team hit the jackpot.....except us. and just to be masochistic:

Dustin Brown
Brent Seabrook
Robert Nilsson
Steve Bernier
Zach Parise
Eric Fehr
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart
Corey Perry
Patrick Eaves

all picked after jessiman. We don't have a single boneafide firstline prospect and there are 8 guys in that list that you can argue have first line talent, and a few that are no brainers. The guys that arnt firstliners will be good two-way guys. If you'd taken the 30 guys drafted in the first round, put there names in a hat and drew randomly you still had a really good chance of getting a great player, some how the rangers messed it up.
I hope those scouts are not still with the Rangers. I hated the pick.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post

Dustin Brown
Brent Seabrook
Robert Nilsson
Steve Bernier
Zach Parise
Eric Fehr
Ryan Getzlaf
Ryan Kesler
Mike Richards
Anthony Stewart
Corey Perry
Patrick Eaves

Your killing me here. Seriously, I want to puke.

What is even more frustrating is that in all likelihood this forces the Rangers to consider some kind of deal to compensate for this debacle. In making such a trade you may have to empty the cupboard even more.

Specifically I am referring to the things Edge is hearing regarding Nash. If we had a Getzlaf there is a lot less pressure to do a deal to compensate for not having him. Make sense? Maybe not. I'm just so friggin pissed off!!!