HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If the Flyers Continue to Lose...

Old
10-08-2013, 07:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Doubt Hartnell will waive to go there.
He was rumored before to be close to being traded there, I think he even said he would at one point. I believe that was a few years ago.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 07:54 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
If the Flyers continue to struggle and get a new GM who can institute a plan for longer than a year, I say they aim for Ekblad in 2014 and McDavid for 2015. Could have a lot of great prospects by trading Hartnell, Coburn, and Kimmo along with a few top picks. Who knows if that would work out though.
with our roster i cannot see them falling to the cellar of the nhl. i would kill someone for those two but idk if it's worth being a laughing stock for that long.

plus, tanking to get generational talents is a very pittsburgh thing to do.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 08:04 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Icing View Post
with our roster i cannot see them falling to the cellar of the nhl. i would kill someone for those two but idk if it's worth being a laughing stock for that long.

plus, tanking to get generational talents is a very pittsburgh thing to do.
I never said to tank. God no, I never want the Flyers to tank. I meant if they continue to struggle this year they could conceivably get Ekblad with their own pick. The picks and prospects they get by trading Coburn, Hartnell, and Kimmo (like Coburn for a 2015 1st rounder + a prospect; long term planning) along with what the Flyers have before the trades could help get the ammo needed to get McDavid.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 08:30 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
I never said to tank. God no, I never want the Flyers to tank. I meant if they continue to struggle this year they could conceivably get Ekblad with their own pick. The picks and prospects they get by trading Coburn, Hartnell, and Kimmo (like Coburn for a 2015 1st rounder + a prospect; long term planning) along with what the Flyers have before the trades could help get the ammo needed to get McDavid.
whoever has the 1st overall pick in 2015 is not going to give up the chance to get mcdavid imo.

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

If Flyers continue to lose my trade proposal would be

Kings get:
Wayne Simmons
Brayden Schenn
Niklas Grossman
Jake Voracek
Sean Couturier
Nick Cousins

Flyers get:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:28 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Almost certainly.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...decision_.html

As for Couturier, Appleyard has a few posts that show he actually did pretty damned well compared to all other players in a similar role. Couturier has not been put in a position to succeed; he has been put in a very difficult role.
He is succeeding in a role that was prevalent in times long past, but isn't as common in the new NHL.

The funny thing is, fans just a couple years ago were begging for a third line shutdown centre and, now that he's here, all we do is complain about his lack of offensive production.

Couturier doesn't need to put up 50 points if he continues to fulfill the shutdown role. His lack of production won't be noticeable off of the gamesheet if the top 6 produce to their own offensive capabilities.

10-08-2013, 10:44 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
He is succeeding in a role that was prevalent in times long past, but isn't as common in the new NHL.

The funny thing is, fans just a couple years ago were begging for a third line shutdown centre and, now that he's here, all we do is complain about his lack of offensive production.

Couturier doesn't need to put up 50 points if he continues to fulfill the shutdown role. His lack of production won't be noticeable off of the gamesheet if the top 6 produce to their own offensive capabilities.
But he's an 8th overall draft pick. He's got to eventually be more than a 3rd line defensive center.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 10:47 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOREacek View Post
But he's an 8th overall draft pick. He's got to eventually be more than a 3rd line defensive center.
Eh, by the 8th pick you're starting to get into 50/50 players who often aren't all superstars. It's not like he was top three. What makes him truly interesting potential wise is that he was ranked as a top three pick for a long time before falling to 8th; so there's potential for a steal there.

10-08-2013, 10:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
There are barely more than a couple guys in each draft that are sure things. If you can get a 10-year career player or better in the first round after the top 3, in practically any role, you did a good job.

Go back and look at the top 10 players drafted over the last 20 years. Not a whole lot of franchise players in the group of 140 (after the top 3 in each draft), but a lot of serviceable NHLers.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:03 PM
MP92

I guess maybe I have too high of expectations for him. I always thought (and still hold out hope) he will be our Patrice Bergeron. But if he turns out more like Martin Hanzal, I won't be mad.

MP92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:18 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
I guess maybe I have too high of expectations for him. I always thought (and still hold out hope) he will be our Patrice Bergeron. But if he turns out more like Martin Hanzal, I won't be mad.
Ironically, even before we drafted Couturier, I sew him becoming sort of what Lecavalier is now.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:26 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew8 View Post
If Flyers continue to lose my trade proposal would be

Kings get:
Wayne Simmons
Brayden Schenn
Niklas Grossman
Jake Voracek
Sean Couturier
Nick Cousins

Flyers get:
Mike Richards
Jeff Carter

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 11:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

If this season becomes lost before the deadline, I'm totally ok with moving:

Timonen
Hartnell
Talbot
Coburn
Grossmann

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:45 AM
Irving Zisman
Really Bad Grandpa

Cheer up guys. It could be worse. You could be the Buffalo Sabres- I.e., a team with 3-4 NHL caliber players.

Any interest in Myers? If he's ever going to become the player he was destined to be in his Calder year, it's not going to happen unless he's given a fresh start.

Irving Zisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:28 AM
R3M1N1SC3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Eh, by the 8th pick you're starting to get into 50/50 players who often aren't all superstars. It's not like he was top three. What makes him truly interesting potential wise is that he was ranked as a top three pick for a long time before falling to 8th; so there's potential for a steal there.
The difference with Couturier is that he was, at one point, the #1 ranked prospect in the world. If memory serves me correctly, he got sick with mono or something and his stock dropped.

Many people thought he was an absolute STEAL where we got him. Right now though, he looks like a Jordan Staal type. Maybe 50 points max in his career, plays good defense, wins draws, and a big body.

That being said, a player is still a player. He is still an asset to the team. If we are talking value wise being the 8th overall, he certainly has not lived up to that yet.

R3M1N1SC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:38 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3M1N1SC3 View Post
The difference with Couturier is that he was, at one point, the #1 ranked prospect in the world. If memory serves me correctly, he got sick with mono or something and his stock dropped.

Many people thought he was an absolute STEAL where we got him. Right now though, he looks like a Jordan Staal type. Maybe 50 points max in his career, plays good defense, wins draws, and a big body.

That being said, a player is still a player. He is still an asset to the team. If we are talking value wise being the 8th overall, he certainly has not lived up to that yet.
The talk was that his stock dropped because of mono, it looks like his stock dropped because of talent.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
If this season becomes lost before the deadline, I'm totally ok with moving:

Timonen
Hartnell
Talbot
Coburn
Grossmann
I agree...this is my list as well. Just add Mez to it.

But I would welcome a total shake-up to the line-up

Read G Vinny
Hartnell Schenn Voracek
McGinn Couts Simmonds
Rinaldo Hall Talbot

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Curufinwe

The Flyers play four more games then get a week off before facing the Rangers. In that time the Phantoms will play five games. Whichever forward plays the best in Adirondack needs to be called up for the game against New York and given a chance in the top 9. In the meantime Newbury should definitely be playing ahead of Rosehill.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:04 AM
BrainOfJ
Call it a comeback

Quote:
Granted there were alot of concussion issues along the way...but Bergeron became full Bergeron around age 25 or so.

Couturier is a special one, hold tight.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:40 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

I think the Flyers forum needs a banner that says "COUTURIER IS STILL 20," so people stop acting like he's 25.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:41 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Trading Couturier at this point would be the dumbest move they could make, obviously unless they get someone who is around the same age and better back. Even if he tops out at what he is now, he's young, won't be expensive, and is a pretty damn good checking center

10-09-2013, 11:03 AM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Trading Couturier at this point would be the dumbest move they could make, obviously unless they get someone who is around the same age and better back. Even if he tops out at what he is now, he's young, won't be expensive, and is a pretty damn good checking center
yeah...after signing that cheap extension...I would not be looking to move Couts. It's like he is on an entry contract that just started this year.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:18 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Moving Couturier means we'd just have a new hole to fill. I'm generally not a fan of digging a new hole to fill an old one.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:21 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Yeah let's give up on a 20 year old...we're good at that type of thing

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Yeah let's give up on a 20 year old...we're good at that type of thing
There's still a really good chance JVR finds consistency and lives up to expectations. If that happens and Couturier is traded elsewhere and later thrives....combined with the Sharp trade...we will have become the farm team for the NHL.