HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What the HELL is going on with Henrik Lundqvist?

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2013, 01:52 AM
toewsintangibles

vCash: 500
Thank god we didn't re-sign him before the season. I bet old Hank suddenly wants a nice big and long contract after his stinkers

Old
10-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Fanned On It

Wait people are blaming the first three goals of the SJ game on him? You can't be serious people... Go play some hockey. I was watching the SJ feed and even their announcers were saying that they couldn't blame Hank for the goals he let in.

Old
10-09-2013, 06:30 AM
roxchipsi8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Wait people are blaming the first three goals of the SJ game on him? You can't be serious people... Go play some hockey. I was watching the SJ feed and even their announcers were saying that they couldn't blame Hank for the goals he let in.
did they pull the goalie and everyone missed it? Everyone wants to talk about how hes bla bla bla greatest goalie of all time and how he deserves to be the highest paid player ever yet no one ever expects him to make a save. Everything is excused.

Old
10-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
link? quote?

yeah thought so.
I hope he does leave. Because he's been masking the real problem and that's the Teflon GM and his 13 year plan. If Henrik leaves this team is a lottery team, and maybe finally Dolan wakes up and fires that piece of ****

Old
10-09-2013, 06:49 AM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

The team in front of him is not providing the same level of defensive support. Hopefully that will improve as the D gets better at their reads under AV's system.

But a hearty LOL to anyone who, again, thought Torts was an issue with Henrik's play. How many posts did I read over the summer that more or less said "the only shots that beat him are deflections...Torts is an idiot, shot blocking is stupid." The reason why deflections seemed to be the only shots that beat Henrik was because, many games, they were all the Rangers really gave up. Or at least other high percentage chances were severely minimized relative to other teams.

Like you wanna talk transition game, fine I get it, but the system inside the dzone last year really helped team D and Henrik's numbers. An adjustment period coming this season was obvious from a mile away, which I posted about in May. They can get it together but it will take time.

10-09-2013, 06:53 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I'd say something about the team in front of him adjusting to a new system, and then something else about sample size, but what's the point? ****ING PANIC! LUNDPADS IS DONE!!!

It's just pain.
Old
10-09-2013, 06:57 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

vCash: 50
Last year people complained that he was giving up deflections because we block so many shots. Now we don't block shots, and he looks even worse on deflections. Maybe it's time to start realizing the problem may be with the goalie

Old
10-09-2013, 06:58 AM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

vCash: 50
I don't see him posting those nifty 2011-12 numbers again, but he's nowhere near as average as he's shown so far. He's still an elite goalie. October is a double quirky month...new system and new pads to get used to. He'll bounce back. The whole team will...it's just going to take some time.

Old
10-09-2013, 06:58 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nils2317 View Post
Last year people complained that he was giving up deflections because we block so many shots. Now we don't block shots, and he looks even worse on deflections. Maybe it's time to start realizing the problem may be with the goalie
Or maybe the problem is that deflections are ****ing difficult to stop/often stopped by nothing more than luck, and it's not really a "problem" to be blamed on anyone or anything?

Old
10-09-2013, 07:51 AM
shinchanyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Or maybe the problem is that deflections are ****ing difficult to stop/often stopped by nothing more than luck, and it's not really a "problem" to be blamed on anyone or anything?
Goalies are not helpless to deflections across the league so there must be stuff to work on team wide. I wonder if they need to improve on when to come out a bit and cut off angles to prevent deflections. Defenseman could also do a much better job tying up and clearing out players. Forwards can do a better job of preventing players from taking a wide open shot. That Boyle goal where he turned and shot was retardedly perfect. But if Hank is out a little more it doesn't go high enough to beat him or if the Sharks player was pushed slightly further out of the way it doesn't get deflected

Old
10-09-2013, 08:00 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Get out of here with that logical explanation. The **** is wrong with you?

Old
10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Get out of here with that logical explanation. The **** is wrong with you?
It's the smaller pads. RIP Lundpads.

But seriously, he has always had slow starts. Let him work into a groove.

10-09-2013, 08:04 AM
16 To Stanley*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 View Post
Notoriously slow starter and it won't be incredible if he takes a little extra to adjust to the slight change in pads and having a different looking defense in front of him. Worried? When I say Lundqvist is the least of my worries, I mean it quite literally. I'm more worried about the thread count on AV's pillow cases than I am about Henrik Lundqvist. He will come around/adjust and this thread, and all of the comments berating him, will look silly not too far from now.
Thank you.

I truly am curious as to whether these "fans" actually watched Lundqvist over his career or just followed his stats.

Every single year we hear this at the beginning. He always starts slow and we always here blah blah blah he sucks.

Then by mid-season it's.....vezina worthy? Great season? carrying us?

Least of my worries as well. Talk about fair weather.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:11 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Look at Lundqvists career splits. October is his worst month.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

LOL Lundpads. Made me giggle.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:37 AM
Affinity

Seriously this place is a ****show after loses. Hank is the least of our worries.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:44 AM
ericmgomes

You really can't even speculate until 20-25 games in, that's always been the case with this sport. However, I'm placing heavy emphasis on the fact that having a good start to the season is essential... Individuals can't think that, "Oh, well- we have another 79 games to be played," because before you know it, we'll be the worst team in the league.

For the regular season, Hank played real well the second game, that's it. The last four pre season games in the Western Conference, he's been quite mediocre, almost feel like saying he was bad. He's got a different D mentality in front of him, so that can contribute to the GA, understood. But there have been two regular season games that have tallied to like 14 GA. Hank has to step up. Oh, and I'm a die hard Ranger fan, what Brodeur said about Hank and his pads is 100% true.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:47 AM
nevesis

This thread title, and thread itself is just one big bunch of ridiculousness. Please lock it.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:58 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

The defense has been garbage. There's a huge lack of coverage. Lundqvist hasn't been good at all, but the defense isn't good to counter.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:59 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Aren't AV's teams typically slow in October, anyway?

Old
10-09-2013, 09:01 AM
13elieve

Not saying anything, but when AV switched from a defensive to a more offensive approach on his last team, another surefire HOF goalie got their career detracted. Expect a lot of these types of games, blowout where the coach and the team give up.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:05 AM
PIM

Quote:
System is no longer coalescing with Hank's play.

I went on a rant on this somewhere, but Hank plays very deep in his crease, which is a necessary factor for his trademark high percentage saves below the hashmarks.

The downfall of this is that shots from outside (including deflections) are more likely to get through him.

Even with deflected pucks, stepping out to the top of the crease when the puck is on the blueline takes a higher percentage of the net away, making the puck less likely to go in.

Under a strong defensive system, forwards take away more of those low percentage outside shots by blocking them.

Defensemen take away the cycle by forcing the puck either into the corner, behind the net or on to their own tape (we currently lack any defensemen that do the latter) preventing many of the shots from being taken in the first place.

Of course, defensemen can also absorb those shots.

This sort of system is extremely beneficial to support a deep, conservative goalie like Hank.

When the defensive zone play takes away outside shots on principle, it inflates a goalie's numbers if he's elite down low.

Of course, a defensive system can also clear the crease down low, and collapse to block those shots, but it requires the right personnel and surgical implementation.

But that's how you stop the deflections going in. Either your goalie plays further out of the crease, or you build your team around absorbing those shots.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Bullseyes

He hasn't looked good, but he's started slow in October before, so I'm not worried... yet.

Lundpads, lol. Good one.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:36 AM
Jersey Girl

1. Henrik Lundqvist was not to blame for either loss this season.

2. He should NOT be traded. Period. Whether he re-signs with the Rangers or not.

3. I agree that he just does not look comfortable....does not look like Hank, in fact...in the first three games.

4. I don't know if it's the pads, thinking about a new contract, normal start of the season issues he needs to work out, something off-ice, the new coaching staff, something physical, or any combination of those or perhaps other things nobody is privy too...but he does not look like himself. He's been fighting the puck virtually every time it's come near him.

5. I'm not saying its the pads, but you also can't say 'he didn't let in any five-hole goals, so it cannot be the pads'. If it is the pads, it seems like they could be just making him uncomfortable enough to throw off his game.

6. I even thought his demeanor was strange sitting there on the bench after he was pulled. I've seen him pulled from many games, and this time his blank stare while he was sitting there was bizarre. Never saw that before.

7. If I were a betting girl I'd say he'll rebound quickly and completely become the Hank we know and love again.

8. If he doesn't, we're in trouble...I have no faith in Biron.

9. I've said this before...Hank would make the Stupidlanders strong Stanley Cup contenders, and put Pittsburgh over the top.

10. Hopefully he signs here long- (but not too long-) term, and we get to watch him for years to come.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:54 AM
tc23

vCash: 1636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Ranger View Post
Aren't AV's teams typically slow in October, anyway?
Yup, no need to panic. Under AV, Luongo has had one October (his first season) with a SV% above .906 or GAA under 2.79 (multiple Octobers with sub-.900 and above 3.00). In fact, Luongo recently made a joke about it.

Quote:
@strombone1: Happy October everyone!!! Or as I like to call it: How did that go in?
The team is still adjusting to AV's system - its a complicated one to learn, especially for the dmen (Hamhuis and Garrison struggled at first and Ballard never adjusted). It'll be a learning process so no need to worry just yet.

Closed Thread