HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 || Minnesota Wild 2-3 Nashville Predators || Oct 8, 2013 || 8:00 pm ET

Old
10-09-2013, 12:46 AM
Nashville Transplant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
went ahead and posted jones for calder... so just in case, i called it first.
He's gonna have a hard time winning that one if Teenage Mutant Ninja Hertl continues to play with the skill he's displayed to date. Did you see his fourth goal of tonight's game, and sixth of the season??? CRAZY!

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:34 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
As a caps fan it absolutely hurts to see Forsberg play for Nashville.. especially when we are playing Erat for about 6 minutes a game. Who the hell trades a blue-chipper for a top 6 forward just to play him 6 minutes a game on the fourth line? Seriously?

But as a swede.. it thrills me to see him do good.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:19 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by vippe View Post
As a caps fan it absolutely hurts to see Forsberg play for Nashville.. especially when we are playing Erat for about 6 minutes a game. Who the hell trades a blue-chipper for a top 6 forward just to play him 6 minutes a game on the fourth line? Seriously?

But as a swede.. it thrills me to see him do good.
Do not understand this trade, I think the Caps got hosed.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:39 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Neither do I.. I have no idea why it was made. There are still a few people who are trying to justify the trade and many of them are glad they traded away Forsberg instead of Wilson for instance (was Poille ever interested in him?) Which is something I dont understand either.. Forsberg with high-end potential thrown away for a player past his prime who never had a spot on our team to begin with Ah well.. enjoy Filip.

vippe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:58 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Good win.

Sick shot by Wilson.

Forsberg....if he plays like that all year, wow.

Jones....made some passes to get out of trouble that I don't know how he did it. Had some trouble holding the line a few times, but overall looked good. Played even strength, PP, PK, and was even on the ice in the last minute (it was only for 9 seconds, but still, he was out there).

And as always, suck it suter. I almost feel bad for him, but then I think about how he turned his back on us and I don't feel bad anymore.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:06 AM
Big Hurt
Rookie User

So the lady needed to watch her show, so I was forced to stream this match online which meant I couldn't post on here during the rest of the game.

Forsberg, hands down, was my player of the game. A big shout out needs to go to Jones, who looked stronger, and while we didn't have the greatest game, it was definitely an improvement which is always nice to see.

Lastly, we had Nystrom, who looked faster and more agile out there than I've seen from him in some time. Not only was he PS well taken, the play that set up the penalty was all done by him and was just what we needed out of him.

The defense didn't really impress me too much. We kept falling back and didn't really seem able to control the puck and string a few passes together. We were too sloppy in the neutral zone and we definitely need to stop the 'no look' passes, and slow it down so that we don't keep putting ourselves in those awful positions.

But we did win, and with that, Trotz knows we have a lot of work to do, which is what we need.

Suck it suter

Big Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:14 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
How has Weber looked so far guys? What do you expect from him offensively this season?
Weber always starts slow offensively and with all the kids this year, I expect the same.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:27 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Weber always starts slow offensively and with all the kids this year, I expect the same.
Yep. I remember all the threads over the previous two seasons starts (even on the main NHL forum) asking about Weber's offensive production. It'll come around.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:21 AM
PFL615

Recap from the 200's IMO:

-Bartley is the weakest link on
D.

-Was really nice to see the new guys not take any crap. Anytime the Wild started pushing around it was delt with.

-If FF looks as good as he did last night with his first game of the year and probably still hurt.. Wow we have something special.

-FF was also a monster on the forecheck. He had so many steals and pass break ups.

-Jones just has it. Watching him in person my goodness he just looks the part ans plays the part of a superstar.He looks like he has been playing as long as Weber and it's game 3 of his NHL career.

-The 2nd period was rough. It reminded me of last year. We do not need to play that conservative.

-Big applause to the Preds for doing what they do for Vets. I saw a lot of tears after the salute last night.

-Cullen is solid. He plays smart and attempts to set up a lot of plays. He also plays very hard and looks like he is going all out when on the ice.

-Nystrom looks solid and looks like a really nice pickup so far. He is always around the puck and plays hard and physical while on the ice.

-Ellis played decent tonight. Definitely didn't screw anything up and held his own.

-Other tham Hendricks standing up for guys after the whistle he was invisible.

Last edited by PFL615: 10-09-2013 at 07:28 AM.
PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:40 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Forsberg with a great shot on the 5 on 3. Jones playing big minutes early. This bodes well for this team. If the Predators are to be a playoff team, much less a contender, each will need integral roles down the stretch.

10-09-2013, 07:50 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Really good showing in the first period last night. Not going to rehash everything that has already been said about how good Jones and Forsberg looked. I was really impressed with Cullen last night despite having Suter draped all over him in front of the net. He's a crafty vet.

Nystrom's hard work paid off but had a very fortuitous night when Harding had to come in to face a penalty shot. That is never easy for a goaltender. Speaking of Harding, flop machine eh?

Tonight was a good win, but we still have a lot of work to do. We let off the gas in the second and most of the third. Gotta keep that killer instinct. PK is really in a bad way but it was nice to score a couple on the PP.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:53 AM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Recap from the 200's IMO:

-Bartley is the weakest link on D.

Bartley was TERRIBLE. I can't believe that no one said anything about this yet, but with somewhere around 5-10 minutes to go in the game, the puck came towards Bartley at Nashville's blueline, and he just backed away from it, almost like he was scared of it.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:59 AM
Big Hurt
Rookie User

Bartley did have a howler last night. He needs to pick it up.

I don't understand our mentalitiy of sitting back when we were ahead? Granted Minnesota is talented, and could have just been the controlling team in the game, but we didn't look like going forward at all after the 1st period.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:02 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procala View Post
I don't understand our mentalitiy of sitting back when we were ahead? Granted Minnesota is talented, and could have just been the controlling team in the game, but we didn't look like going forward at all after the 1st period.
A friend in my office and I talk about this a bunch. To be honest, it's not just a Preds thing. All over the NHL, it's common for coaches to switch to a "prevent D" when having a lead instead of putting the skate to the throat. Preds are very guilty of this. I don't get it.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:06 AM
Big Hurt
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
A friend in my office and I talk about this a bunch. To be honest, it's not just a Preds thing. All over the NHL, it's common for coaches to switch to a "prevent D" when having a lead instead of putting the skate to the throat. Preds are very guilty of this. I don't get it.
It seems like the most likely scenario of doing such a thing like 'Prevent D' will be giving up goals, or as the Falcons showed us all, Touchdowns.

I went to UA in Tuscaloosa, and watching them play football is like a breath of fresh air. When we have the mo, we keep going at it again, again, and again.

I wish more teams would break the other team when they are bending, and not just sit back and let the opponents regroup.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:53 AM
AintLifeGrand

Fellow ATL Brahs: How did y'all watch the game last night?

Had to crush a mountain of work so didn't event think about Preds until Midnight..but knew it was not broadcasted locally, and inherently blacked out.

I have GCL for my comp and will prob have to download an IP re-router to circumvent the system.

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

I DVR'ed it off Fox Sports North HD. Wasn't impressed by their coverage, as the cameras made it feel like I was in the 300 level.

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:03 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Bartley was TERRIBLE. I can't believe that no one said anything about this yet, but with somewhere around 5-10 minutes to go in the game, the puck came towards Bartley at Nashville's blueline, and he just backed away from it, almost like he was scared of it.
I noticed this last night as well. We forget Bartley is effectively a rookie. hes gonna struggle at times. Im hoping Ekholm continues to improve and can be our 2nd pair D man until Josi returns. Bartley and Ellis both need to have limited ES minutes.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
the puck came towards Bartley at Nashville's blueline, and he just backed away from it, almost like he was scared of it.
That play wasn't what it seemed; Bartley was skating backwards and the puck was supposed to come flying in the zone and strangely died right before the blueline. Bartley just got caught on a weird play.

Last edited by Jarnberg: 10-09-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:33 AM
PFL615

Bartley also got beat badly by someone in the corner in the 3rd that led to a good chance by the Wild. He was rough out there and it was very noticeable.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:43 AM
Big Hurt
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Fellow ATL Brahs: How did y'all watch the game last night?

Had to crush a mountain of work so didn't event think about Preds until Midnight..but knew it was not broadcasted locally, and inherently blacked out.

I have GCL for my comp and will prob have to download an IP re-router to circumvent the system.
We have Center Ice at the house.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:13 AM
Persona5

Bartley and Hendricks need the play better. Smith is still so hard to figure. He made some nice plays but also made some bad plays with turnovers far to often. I hope Bourque can get it going because he hasn't played his best to start the season. Jones looked great and even with the few mistakes he made they were not big ones. They were all very minor and he stuck with the play and made up for it. He is going to be special. Wilson played really well and really like that he is getting more ice time. Hopefully that continues. FF9 was great. I couldn't count the number of time he hit the puck in the air to stop a pass or simply control the puck. We might have a real gem in him. Ekholm was also very strong. I am very impressed with him so far. Ellis had a really good game imo and hope he sticks even when Josi comes back. Would love to maybe see something like this for d-pairings.

Josi-Weber
Ekholm-Jones
Klein-Ellis

Long term however there will have to be a move made eventually to add another lefty and ship out one of the rightys. Ellis is to good to just be a depth d-man and you will never see Weber/Klein/Jones sit.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:18 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
It's a natural hockey thing, not just NHL, every level.

You get a lead you start thinking more about protecting the lead, you don't take chances and you try to get everything deep.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:28 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
It's a natural hockey thing, not just NHL, every level.

You get a lead you start thinking more about protecting the lead, you don't take chances and you try to get everything deep.
its endemic in football too... thats actually where the phrase "prevent defense" came from...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:56 AM
Jarnberg

Kind of lost on Forsberg's goal was Hornqvist's play on the goal. He was in front of the net for Jones' shot, but as soon as he realized the puck was going to Forsberg, he ties up the defender and pulls his stick in the air, helping to prevent the defender from putting his stick out to possibly block Forsberg's shot.

Additionally he quickly fetches the puck for his fellow countryman.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote