HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

if you could buy out one sabres player who would it be

Old
10-09-2013, 12:08 PM
stokes84

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJimBob View Post
So?

Buying him out would be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Trading CoHo because you didn't like his contract is an entirely different conversation. I would be stunned if CoHo isn't really movable with that contract.
You are right. The point is, that contract is among the most egregious mistakes they have made (possibly. As I said, it's dubious but want to give it a little time) and would be at the top of my list to wash my hands of if I were magically put in the spot as GM. (Good thing you're not GM, right?)

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
You are right. The point is, that contract is among the most egregious mistakes they have made (possibly. As I said, it's dubious but want to give it a little time) and would be at the top of my list to wash my hands of if I were magically put in the spot as GM. (Good thing you're not GM, right?)
A worse mistake than Myer's contract? Or drafting Grigorenko instead of Hertl or Teravainen?

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:22 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
A worse mistake than Myer's contract? Or drafting Grigorenko instead of Hertl or Teravainen?
Among. I pointed out both of those that you pointed out in posts earlier today, they are all bad.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:40 PM
ADoubleD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Leino.

Then Ennis. I'm still hoping he doesn't turn into Afinogenov v2.0. He sure looks a lot like him some games. And not the good version either.
Why would they buy out Ennis when his contract is up at the end of the year? I would think they shouldn't have too much of a problem trading him if they want to get rid of him.

I'd say the buyout would be Leino simply because he can't stay healthy. Then with his cap space and roster spot freed up that allows them to either bring in a vet to replace him, or bring up a young guy.

ADoubleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:08 PM
mgeise

We are able to compliance buyout someone we trade for, correct? So we could take on a team's cap dump along with assets and then use the buyout on that player?

And the obvious answer to the OP's question is Leino. I think it's a foregone conclusion that he'll be a buyout victim this offseason. Imagine this team's winger depth without Vanek, Ott, Leino, and Stafford (when they inevitable trade him or buy him out)... This team needs some winger prospects quickly.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:16 PM
OcAirlines

No one, because none of them is actively hurting us with his contract. If I had to chose one, it would obviously Leino though.

OcAirlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:18 PM
mgeise

Quote:
Originally Posted by OcAirlines View Post
None, because none of them is actively hurting us with his contract. If I had to chose one, it would obviously Leino though.
When all these young guys get off their ELCs, that Leino contract would really start to hurt. Not this year and the next, but definitely in the last year or two of the deal. I don't see any way Leino is a Sabre next year unless he sets the world on fire when he's healthy again.

mgeise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:36 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Leino is the clear answer. He still has 3 seasons on his contract after this season and was obviously a mistake and is untradeable.

Stafford may be under-producing, but he only has 1 year left after this season and could probably return a 2nd at the trade deadline (or who knows -- if Goose got a 1st and Stafford can put up 15 goals by the deadline, that's not impossible). There is no point in buying him out.

Myers' contract is currently looking terrible, but I think (1) most of us are hopeful that he will find his game again and at least be worth keeping around, even if he winds up being over-paid, and (2) he is still tradeable - even with that contract.

Hodgson is a joke. He literally just signed (for Derek Roy money), and it's ridiculous to even bring him into this conversation. He will turn out to be a good deal on that contract and, in any event, you could easily trade him with that contract for at least a 1st. Using a buyout on him would be beyond stupid.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:39 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
Why would they buy out Ennis when his contract is up at the end of the year? I would think they shouldn't have too much of a problem trading him if they want to get rid of him.

fixed to:
How could they buy out Ennis when his contract is up at the end of the year?

Last edited by Jacob582: 10-09-2013 at 02:04 PM.
Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
dotcommunism

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgeise View Post
When all these young guys get off their ELCs, that Leino contract would really start to hurt. Not this year and the next, but definitely in the last year or two of the deal. I don't see any way Leino is a Sabre next year unless he sets the world on fire when he's healthy again.
Assuming the cap goes up as projected, Leino's contract won't really hurt that much. And even if he can't be bought out this summer (injuries for example) it'd be extremely manageable to do an ordinary buyout on him the next summer. That said, there's little if any reason to not use one of the compliance buyouts on Leino this summer, if they can.

dotcommunism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:41 PM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Personally, I don't think it's a mistake at all.

I think the odds of that deal working out roughly the way the Roy extension did are pretty good.

I think Hodgson will be viewed as a good center on a below market contract within 3 years.

And while I hate deals like Leino, if they are going to miss, I'd rather they miss on deals like they gave to Hodgson and Myers in that younger players on less than ideal contracts are waaaaaay more movable than say the Leino deal, or any other older UFA (think Redden, Gomez, etc.).

WhoIsJimBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:48 PM
Disengage

I'd say Leino but he'd actually have to play to count as a player.

Disengage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:51 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
You can't buy out Kevin Porter.
I can do whatever I want with KevPoW.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:34 PM
hizzoner

Leino. Myers has the skills. We need to find out if he is coachable--is he smart enough and does he have the right emotional makeup for a professional athlete. I think he would be worth a bit even if we had to take back contract--cheaper than a buyout. Stafford can be traded. Ennis can be traded. Erhoff can be traded. Not suggesting they be traded just that we do not need to buy them out.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:25 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

Leino the end. Terrible player and overpaid by 2 mil or more.

As for Staff he is a trade candidate not buy out. I'd take a 2nd easily for him.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:42 PM
ptrm2112

Leino. He's been an absolute riot to have on this team but I think we could cut him loose.

Clearly Hodgson would be next on the list since he's already proven his worth and has no chance of improving. Or not.

ptrm2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Prospector74

Lei...

Do not name the dark one or he shall injure himself preventing a buyout.

Hopefully he catches fire when he returns and is worth the contract but I suspect we'll use a buyout on him next summer.

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:10 PM
skibum

Stafford.

At least with Leino I have hope that he will one day be healthy and productive. I don't believe in guys being "injury prone" , unless we're talking about repeated concussions. I think it's just bad luck. Connolly was a good example - the guy never got hurt when he was with the Isels.

Stafford, on the other hand, has proven year after year after year that he is not a very good player. In fact, he appears to be getting worse. I don't buy the argument that "Stafford has more trade value". Nobody wants a $4mil player with a consistent track record of dire underachievement and poor production.

Bag on me all you want; I just think Leino is the better player and Stafford makes my insides hurt.

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:23 PM
5 Minute Major

If Myers doesn't turn it around this season, he is my #1 candidate.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:53 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

not the best game tonight

Last edited by ImpressedDAHagent: 10-10-2013 at 08:51 PM.
ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Djp

Remember guys...if the cap goes up and we dont keep Vanek or Miller and then buy out Leino we would be below the cap floor.

Lets say their team next year is:

Girgs-Larsson-Foligno
Ennis-Grigs-Stafford
Ott-Hodgson-Armia
Tropp-Catenacci-Kaleta
Scott Flynn

Ehrhoff Pysyk
Weber Myers
Zadarov-Risto
McNabb

Enroth
Hackett

Assuming reasonable resignings of RFAs and UFAs they will barely even touch $44M---and could be below it

If the cap goes up next year the cap floor will also go up.

Buffalo actually may be forced to take a salary back that is a cap dump for next year just to be above the line.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:38 AM
Luceni

Right now, the obvious choice is Leino followed by stafford. I think think both have got zero trade value at the moment.

The jury is still out in Hodgson and Myers imo. Myers could easily takeover the top position from leino this year if he cobtinues to play like ****.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:15 AM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrm2112 View Post
Leino. He's been an absolute riot to have on this team but I think we could cut him loose.

Clearly Hodgson would be next on the list since he's already proven his worth and has no chance of improving. Or not.
Canuck fan here.

What you see out of Cody is what you are going to get. Great hands and vision. Great shot.

Not so good defensively.

He isnt going to morph into a 50 goal scorer but lets give him some credit. He signed a 4.25mil contract until he is 30 years old. That is second liner money for several years of his prime.

Thats a good value if he can put up 50 points or more.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:55 AM
SabreBlood

Tyler Myers and Ville Leino are where both amnesty buyouts should be used.

Myers averages 5.5 million per season until 2019. Leino averages 4.5 until 2017. If Myers was ever going to turn it around, he would start doing it this season. So far, he's not turning anything around on the ice. He's actually in shape for the first time since his rookie season, that's nice. But he's still a turnstile. He's still a deer in head lights. He's in his 5th NHL season. I'm heavily leaning towards the thought that it's not going to happen.

Why buy out Stafford? He's got one more season at 4 million. I'd sooner waive him and burn the money in Rochester. He still would count against the cap, but they will need that cap hit for the cap floor anyway.

Worrying about reaching the cap floor as a reason to keep Myers or Leino isn't well thought out. You can always trade for a player that is grossly over paid that has 1 or 2 seasons left on their deal, if you absolutely need to, rather than 4 years like Leino, or 6 like Myers.

These amnesty buyouts expire for good, prior to the start of next season. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So, it's time to make the decision on both of them.

Using one of the amnesty buyouts on a contract that like Kevin Porter's is the worst idea I've ever heard. You want to buy him out to make room for Larsson? Fine. Then buy him out, but not with one of the amnesty buyouts.

SabreBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:06 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Myers as an amnesty buyout is ridiculous...

Amnesty buyouts are for creating cap space... the Sabres will have ~35 million next year... and that's WITH Leino.

By the time the cap is even remotely an issue, 5.5 million will be the going rate for 2nd pairing/offensive defensemen...

buying out a 24 yr old defensemen (during a rebuild!), who has talent ... when there is no cap reason to do so, is just plain dumb. even the suggestion should be mocked.

Buying out Leino makes sense from the perspective of creating roster space to develop players over the next few years. He'll be 31 and has no upside.

Jame is online now   Reply With Quote