HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Sharks: The LOL Edition

View Poll Results: POTG
Richards 19 20.65%
Dorsett 3 3.26%
Tomas Malik 70 76.09%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-09-2013, 11:41 AM
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral

vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
They got off to a slow start. You'll have to direct me to the 7 goal loss though. You'll be looking for a long time.
as someone said, a loss is a loss no matter what. If Hank stood on his head and we only lost 3-1, it'd be the same thing.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Drewbackatu*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Shouldn't have fired Torts...

Still can't believe so many people here were convinced that Torts was the issue. He got the most out of this team.
He coached the way he had to with the hand he was dealt. Even though we were all tired of his act, he probably should have gotten one more year.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:43 AM
NYRKindms

The problem is the same problem the rangers have had since befor Renney

Glen Sather has no ability to properly construct a hockey team.

Renney wanted to play an offensive style when he got here. For a time we did but the coach realized he didnt have the horses and resorted to a defense first try to win by a goal and have hank hold on

Torts came here under the same idea. Safe is death. I think that lasted a short while until Torts realized he didn't have the horses and chose to play a collapsing defense first system. They had some success with that system and Torts got the most out of the team that was constructed.

So instead of buying in to that system whole heartedly and going out and getting the missing parts for that system, Sather blew the team up and tried to change tactics midstream which threw everything in to disarray.

AV is here now with the lets play offense first. How long until he realizes he doesn't have the horses to play that way ? There is only 2 ways out of that. 1) trade some folks to try to bring in a horse or 2) play a defense first system to maximize what you have to work with

I think it is safe to say that with the way this team is constructed we will continue to be a 6-8 seed if we are lucky.

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:50 AM
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY

I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with wanting the other team to get beat up so badly. Even if someone beat the **** out of Stuart, Nash is still concussed. Even if Callahan grabbed Hertl and gave him a stern talking to about respect, he still scored a hattrick and took a dump in Biron's mask.

Even if the Rangers showed any kind of physical retrobution, they still lose that game 9-2 and lose their best offensive forward.

They need to play with some fire and find some chemistry. Not beat up rookies and 3rd pairing defensemen.

rip
DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:53 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzu4u View Post
if any of you seriously think that adding Michael Haley is the solution to this team's problems... I just... I can't even...

I get that the name of this website is hockey's future, but the fact that any of you actually believe that calling up a bunch of mid-level prospects with little-to-absolutely no NHL experience (much less SUCCESS) will turn this team around is frightening.

It's the 3rd game of a season, with a new coach, a new system, several new players, and coming off a training camp where we didn't even ice close to our regular lineup until the final game. This team has been playing under Tort's system for many years, and doing it well. It's also a lineup of young kids who came up and learned how to play in the NHL under that system. It's going to suck but it's going to take legitimate time for this team to find it's BRAND NEW identity under AV.

Not to mention the Sharks won their previous games 4-1 and 4-1, and are consistently one of the best regular season and particularly early season teams in the NHL.

I know it sucks to watch your favorite team get killed, but please try and find a little perspective. Do any of you seriously think we would have had a chance at winning a cup if we had kept up the Torts legacy? The team is going in a new direction and these are unfortunately the growing pains of that process.
no one said it was THE solution.

I do stand by my belief that it is a START

He plays with the mind-set needed to be successful in the NHL. He may not have the talent to do what other players can do, but he's not going to sit back and let the other team dictate pace and tempo.

The mind-set and effort that he plays with is missing through alot of our team.

So no, he's not the solution, but he is a start

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspewtin View Post
as someone said, a loss is a loss no matter what. If Hank stood on his head and we only lost 3-1, it'd be the same thing.
Its about being competitive. While you're busy making excuses, you're losing site of the fact the team hasn't looked as bad as it did last night in years.

...and yet you still try to frame it as a Torts apologists argument - hes gone. This is on the players. They didn't just lose last night, they embarrassed themselves and their new coach.

Counting the pre-season, the Rangers are 2-7 with Vigneault behind the bench. 15 GF, 34 against. -19.

Want to just count the regular season? Not much better. 1-2, 6GF, 14 against. -8. Its more than a loss when your team isn't competitive and hasn't been since the new coach they begged for stepped behind the bench.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:59 AM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I'm not sure why people are so obsessed with wanting the other team to get beat up so badly. Even if someone beat the **** out of Stuart, Nash is still concussed. Even if Callahan grabbed Hertl and gave him a stern talking to about respect, he still scored a hattrick and took a dump in Biron's mask.

Even if the Rangers showed any kind of physical retrobution, they still lose that game 9-2 and lose their best offensive forward.

They need to play with some fire and find some chemistry. Not beat up rookies and 3rd pairing defensemen.
maybe if they come out with a chip on their shoulder to start the 2nd the game doesn't spiral out of control during a 4 minute outburst.

maybe it's worse, who know.

What we do know is that the team didn't respond, they bent over at the 8:16 mark of the 2nd and never looked back

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:05 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
This game sucked.

TCRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:13 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

@ all the toughness bull. Would the players have been less embarassed by a 9-2 score, or even a 6-1 score, if they mucked it up all through the 3rd? No, they would've looked like chumps and crybabies. "If you can't beat them, then beat them up." Screw that.

The players don't look like they're on the same page defensively. It takes time. We saw what it looks like when they are on Monday night. They're not going to have it down every game right now.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:14 PM
Maineice11

Send a message via AIM to Maineice11
In the words of torts, "we sucked from head to toe"

Haha, I miss those pressers. But I've moved on AV is a great coach, there's apparently more adapting going on for this team, but I'm not throwing in the towel yet. The LA game looked great and that's the model of how they need to play. It'll get more consistent. I hope they keep this sour taste in their mouths and remember they nvr wanna feel this way ever again, that's a great motivational tool.

Maineice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:20 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its about being competitive. While you're busy making excuses, you're losing site of the fact the team hasn't looked as bad as it did last night in years.

...and yet you still try to frame it as a Torts apologists argument - hes gone. This is on the players. They didn't just lose last night, they embarrassed themselves and their new coach.

Counting the pre-season, the Rangers are 2-7 with Vigneault behind the bench. 15 GF, 34 against. -19.

Want to just count the regular season? Not much better. 1-2, 6GF, 14 against. -8. Its more than a loss when your team isn't competitive and hasn't been since the new coach they begged for stepped behind the bench.
a) You shouldn't count the preseason, it means very little to nothing.

b) Are you seriously giving stats 3 games in of an 82 game season?

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:25 PM
Gardner McKay
Cupcake schedule.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
It's 3 games into the season and the team is learning a brand new system, with a brand new coaching staff, and several new players on the roster. It's going to take time. A couple of losses isn't going to validate anything anymore than a couple of wins will. All of this "I told you so" junk being thrown around is a bunch of nonsense.
I agree with that. Where my problem comes in is the first game of the season. They looked like they didn't even care. I don't care if they lose as long as they play hard. The 9-2 loss has multiple factors. That I will blame on the new system and the team needing time to adjust and in my mind isn't nearly as bad as the 4-1 loss in the first game of the season.

10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
a) You shouldn't count the preseason, it means very little to nothing.

b) Are you seriously giving stats 3 games in of an 82 game season?
a.) considering the shoddy and uninspired play has filtered into the regular season, I do think the preseason means something

b.) yes, horrific ones.

Bleed Ranger Blue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:28 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

I hope they get on the same page soon. They were in la and they weren't in SJ. Real feces show. Have to rebound and make a better effort as a whole. I want to see on ice product improve and while we should understand adapting to a new system is sometimes more difficult. But this was bad. I don't want to blame it on the Backto back games.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:34 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

At some point in the game Joe was pointing out how in AV's system, a forward covers in front of the net while both defensemen go attack the puck in the corners. How many goals last night happened with a defenseman and forward standing right next to each other near the crease? I counted 5.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
At some point in the game Joe was pointing out how in AV's system, a forward covers in front of the net while both defensemen go attack the puck in the corners. How many goals last night happened with a defenseman and forward standing right next to each other near the crease? I counted 5.
Well that's only 55% of the goals, how bad can it be?

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:36 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

Quote:
I only watched bits of the game. Is this saying his system isn't working or they're just playing like ass

Old
10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
I only watched bits of the game. Is this saying his system isn't working or they're just playing like ass
It's reinforcing that the team isn't on the same page, especially the defensemen and the forwards.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:41 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

Quote:
It's reinforcing that the team isn't on the same page, especially the defensemen and the forwards.
So they aren't yet properly executing is what you're saying? I could agree with that if so. They seem to be off in their own worlds a lot.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:43 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Watching this game in person was somewhat painful. But Hertl had this look of absolute joy on his face pretty much the entire game. He clearly just loves to play. It's hard not to really like that kid.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvdnsx View Post
Honestly the Stuart hit won't warrant much of a suspension, 1-2 games tops if anything. Is it just me or were the Sharks rubbing it in. That 4th Hertl goal, at that stage of the game and with the score the way it was came off as cockiness. The kid is 19 and needs a lesson IMO. Maybe not going out and giving the guy a headshot but pay your dues in this league. Hope he fizzles out and is in the AHL by seasons end.
oh shut up. we got spanked and got everything we deserved. The coverage was atrocious. 3 players converged on Desjardins on his first goal leaving him wide open on Henke's far side. Any pro team will run up the score (unless you're a dingus who is "above empty net goals" ) If the tables were reverse and that was JT Miller of Fast doing the same thing you'd be dancing circles around your desk. Don't hate, congratulate. The kid has as many goals as our entire team combined.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:45 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
Watching this game in person was somewhat painful. But Hertl had this look of absolute joy on his face pretty much the entire game. He clearly just loves to play. It's hard not to really like that kid.
Probably pretty easy to look happy when you're clowning on an entire NHL team literally all night.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:47 PM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

Team looked silly. Got abused. All I want to see is not that.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:48 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
ha, i almost went myself but was pretty glad i didn't. yeah, props to Hertl. hopefully for the Sharks, he isn't a flash in the pan. I wouldn't ever wish bad on him like other people. Rather hopefully our team has their $#!* together next time we meet up, play good defense, and we take these guys out with a 5-0 shutout.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:51 PM
sark76
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
no one said it was THE solution.

He plays with the mind-set needed to be successful in the NHL. He may not have the talent to do what other players can do, but he's not going to sit back and let the other team dictate pace and tempo.

The mind-set and effort that he plays with is missing through alot of our team.

So no, he's not the solution, but he is a start
Exactly!...and its not a far stretch for an high energy depth forward to spark the team. we've seen it happen right here on this very team within the decade.

I also thinks its funny that with all the failed stars on this team since our last cup...millions of dollars and some years all it took was a Prust or Avery type player to change things. You act as shocked as you want to, but you are just lying to yourself if you don't believe that happened. We were all there, we also saw it...

sark76 is offline   Reply With Quote