HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 3 || Minnesota Wild 2-3 Nashville Predators || Oct 8, 2013 || 8:00 pm ET

Old
10-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
I think this is the most upbeat I've ever seen NoNecksCurse on these forums.

I was on a date from ~8 to midnight, came home and started the game on GCL. After Parise's goal, I seriously contemplated cheating and skipping to the third / just looking at the score, but I'm glad I didn't. It was a great game and a good win. Wilson's shot on the second goal was a freaking laser beam; I think I replayed it like 15 times on GCL.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:11 PM
token grinder

vCash: 500
I think we are overstating how bad Bartley was. He made mistakes, sure, but there is a reason he is a 6-7 defenseman, or should be. Our PK needs work. Anyone who can't see that is blind like Mick Magoo. Even-strength, we were good defensively. Minnesota has alot of good peices and we shut them down, even with a terrible 2nd period offensively. But back to Bartley, I hope as time passes and Josi gets in the lineup, he is allowed that 12-14 min or so of protected icetime and is able to work on the pk more. Team has a ton of new parts. Need time to gel.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:16 PM
SmashingPred

It was a great feeling to see the boys win this game! I did find myself annoyed during the 2nd/3rd periods, because of the sloppy passing again. I guess it's nothing to be surprised about, but it just drives me insane how the pucks are almost never on the tape.

I'm sure most people have seen the 4th Hertl goal by now, but did you guys notice the pass to Hertl that started it? We use that pass a lot (like most teams) but it never seems to arrive cleanly for us while it could create so much room for our guys.

SmashingPred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:37 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
I think we are overstating how bad Bartley was. He made mistakes, sure, but there is a reason he is a 6-7 defenseman, or should be. Our PK needs work. Anyone who can't see that is blind like Mick Magoo. Even-strength, we were good defensively. Minnesota has alot of good peices and we shut them down, even with a terrible 2nd period offensively. But back to Bartley, I hope as time passes and Josi gets in the lineup, he is allowed that 12-14 min or so of protected icetime and is able to work on the pk more. Team has a ton of new parts. Need time to gel.
While Bartley could have played worse he is not in a 6-7th d-man role right now. He is playing on our second pairing with Klein. I personally would like to see Ekholm moved into that second line role with Klein and Bartley moved back with Ellis for now. The reason that won't happen however is Bartley and Ellis on the ice at the same time would probably lead to a lot of issues. They are more than likely trying to protect Bartley by having him play with Klein. Ekholm has held his own very well and I can't wait to see more from him. We may be looking at the best second pairing in the NHL in a couple years in Ekholm/Jones with Josi/Weber on the top pairing. I can see it happening with the way these kids are playing.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:38 PM
glenngineer

We have to remember one thing about Jones last night, he was playing his off side against one of the best lines in hockey right now. So here's a rookie who just turned 19 and didn't look out of place. Imagine what happens once he matures and gains experience.

So here's my take on the D once Josi is back. Leave Jones with Weber because it appears he can handle it. Pair Josi with Klein and you've got a very solid second pairing. Then pair Ekholm with Ellis as it appears Ekholm can handle himself and paired with Ellis they should be good to go. I would be good with those combos. If Trotz wants he can flop Jones and Josi but either way, our top 4 looks very bright and we have a pretty good player in Ekholm it appears so if we have injuries in the top 4 he can play there as well.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:42 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
We have to remember one thing about Jones last night, he was playing his off side against one of the best lines in hockey right now. So here's a rookie who just turned 19 and didn't look out of place. Imagine what happens once he matures and gains experience.

So here's my take on the D once Josi is back. Leave Jones with Weber because it appears he can handle it. Pair Josi with Klein and you've got a very solid second pairing. Then pair Ekholm with Ellis as it appears Ekholm can handle himself and paired with Ellis they should be good to go. I would be good with those combos. If Trotz wants he can flop Jones and Josi but either way, our top 4 looks very bright and we have a pretty good player in Ekholm it appears so if we have injuries in the top 4 he can play there as well.
Wonder what Ekholm and Josi would look like...

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:44 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Wonder what Ekholm and Josi would look like...
Probably ok or good but not sure I'd like it since both are lefties. Two lefties or two righties on a pairing always scares me unless the player playing their off side is a beast.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:52 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
While Bartley could have played worse he is not in a 6-7th d-man role right now. He is playing on our second pairing with Klein. I personally would like to see Ekholm moved into that second line role with Klein and Bartley moved back with Ellis for now. The reason that won't happen however is Bartley and Ellis on the ice at the same time would probably lead to a lot of issues. They are more than likely trying to protect Bartley by having him play with Klein. Ekholm has held his own very well and I can't wait to see more from him. We may be looking at the best second pairing in the NHL in a couple years in Ekholm/Jones with Josi/Weber on the top pairing. I can see it happening with the way these kids are playing.
I think Klein and Ekholm played together a lot last night.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:53 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I've been hopeful for Ekholm ever since he had a small taste a couple of years ago. Should be a nice solid Dman for us for awhile.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:53 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Probably ok or good but not sure I'd like it since both are lefties. Two lefties or two righties on a pairing always scares me unless the player playing their off side is a beast.
See, I think sides and hands are overrated and it's something that just takes a little getting used too.

Old
10-09-2013, 12:56 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
But back to Bartley, I hope as time passes and Josi gets in the lineup, he is allowed that 12-14 min or so of protected icetime and is able to work on the pk more.
This morning on "Coffee with Coach", Trotz said Josi is possible for Saturday.
What that means I don't know, just heard him mention it this morning on the way to work.

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:01 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
See, I think sides and hands are overrated and it's something that just takes a little getting used too.
Ask any D-man that has played competative hockey that question and you will see it matters. Playing on your offhand makes a lot of things harder than they should be. While Jones looked good last night he would look even better playing on the right side.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:03 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by preds1 View Post
What that means I don't know, just heard him mention it this morning on the way to work.
Either way, it's great news that he may not be out weeks or months like he could be.

Old
10-09-2013, 01:07 PM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Either way, it's great news that he may not be out weeks or months like he could be.
For sure. He also said Stalberg's getting close to returning as well.
(Maybe a week out if I recall correctly)

preds1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
For sure. He also said Stalberg's getting close to returning as well.
(Maybe a week out if I recall correctly)
I read Stalberg may be back as early as next week sometime.

Old
10-09-2013, 01:21 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Housely seemed to disagree when he was asked that question before one of the first two games. He said switching sides is difficult.

10-09-2013, 02:54 PM
WartracePred

Quote:
Coming from Trotz that means nothing. When Gill broke his leg 2 years ago, He was day to day and could play the next game for a month.

I don't think Josi has been on ice since the concussion. And sure, it's possible Josi plays Saturday. It's also possible that I win the Power Ball jackpot.

I want to hear that he has skated with the team for a couple of practices before I'll believe he's ready to play

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:16 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
While Bartley could have played worse he is not in a 6-7th d-man role right now. He is playing on our second pairing with Klein. <snip>
Bartley played virtually the entire night with Ellis last night. He played pretty well last year, I think it's a little quick to throw the guy under the bus.

He had a couple awful moments, but was otherwise fine. Beats the heck outta' Hillen as a 7th & Gill and whoever you wanna' call our 7th last year, too.

Heck, Jones got blown past first or second time they came down the ice on us; Flip had one of the strangest neutral ice turnovers I've seen; mistakes happen - what we want is the kids (and less experienced) learning from them and not repeating them.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:44 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cashville View Post
I think this is the most upbeat I've ever seen NoNecksCurse on these forums.

I was on a date from ~8 to midnight, came home and started the game on GCL. After Parise's goal, I seriously contemplated cheating and skipping to the third / just looking at the score, but I'm glad I didn't. It was a great game and a good win. Wilson's shot on the second goal was a freaking laser beam; I think I replayed it like 15 times on GCL.
haha dont get use to it!

im okay with the boys through 3 games. we have a lot of work. just have to battle through the injuries. forsberg and jones have me beyond excited... im confident they will be stars.

and end of the world post in 3..2..1.... i think seth jones will be a better defenseman than shea weber (i know the sample size)

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:44 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

While a win feels good, I'm not sure I would agree that we played overly well...and the #fancystats support that this wasn't a great game, especially at even strength. Wild pretty much dominated possession:

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2013...wild-predators

Our best players were Legwand, Forsberg, and Wilson, all with a respectable 45% corsi percentage at 5 on 5. The rest of the team is in the 30s and 20s. Mike Fisher has the worst, but some of that owes to the amount of defensive zone starts. Hendricks has the worst "legit" corsi percentage of 21..which more or less supports what you could see with your eyeballs.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:00 AM
Drake744
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
haha dont get use to it!

im okay with the boys through 3 games. we have a lot of work. just have to battle through the injuries. forsberg and jones have me beyond excited... im confident they will be stars.

and end of the world post in 3..2..1.... i think seth jones will be a better defenseman than shea weber (i know the sample size)
Bold prediction, but it wouldn't shock me if you look 8 or 9 years down the road. I think it's extremely rare to look at a DEFENSEMAN this young with this little experience and be able to say that. It's way, way more common to jump the gun (so to speak) using that prediction with a forward.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:12 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
While a win feels good, I'm not sure I would agree that we played overly well...and the #fancystats support that this wasn't a great game, especially at even strength. Wild pretty much dominated possession:

http://www.extraskater.com/game/2013...wild-predators

Our best players were Legwand, Forsberg, and Wilson, all with a respectable 45% corsi percentage at 5 on 5. The rest of the team is in the 30s and 20s. Mike Fisher has the worst, but some of that owes to the amount of defensive zone starts. Hendricks has the worst "legit" corsi percentage of 21..which more or less supports what you could see with your eyeballs.
Of course the Wild did, they were down 2 goals before the end of the 1 period, they had to press hard to get back into the game. It's also natural for a team to stop taking chances once you go up by 2. Minnesota was able to cycle a bit when they got their defensemen more active but didn't really generate a bunch of big chances off it it.

I'll say though in the 3rd the Predators pressed back a bit more and got the forecheck going. I do think we sat back too much.

Old
10-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Jarnberg

It isn't that we sat back too much, it's the team could hardly get thru the neutral zone and had a hard time cycling the puck due to the poor skill level of the team.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:43 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
It isn't that we sat back too much, it's the team could hardly get thru the neutral zone and had a hard time cycling the puck due to the poor skill level of the team.
Yeah, what was I thinking.

"the sky is falling, the sky is falling"